• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dtilt / Plasma Shot Killing Percentages

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I've noticed in a lot of my matches that I kill with Dtilt and Plasma Shot, probably Samus' two most reliable kill moves. So I decided to sit down and compile the percentages all characters KO at when Samus hits them with a fresh Dtilt or Plasma Shot.

EDIT: SuSa you are right. The CPU set to STOP has some DI involved and it can skew the numbers (they can die later or even earlier). I went back and retook the data with the CPU set to CONTROL. So Plasma Shot percentages have been updated, the opponent KOs earlier.

Why?
+ Dtilt, most importantly is one of Samus' best killing moves. I did this to find out how soon I can KO my opponent with the Dtilt. Now that I know the percentages, I'm less likely to stale my dtilt and rely on other methods to wear the opponent down, then bust it out later.

Method of Testing
+ Training Mode, Final Destination, on a Level 9 Computer (Both STOP and HUMAN controlled).
+ These percentages come with NO DI INVOLVED.
+ At the first percentage they KO, I test that percentage 4-5 more times then bring them down by 1% to find the minimum killing range.
+ Plasma Shot data was taken with computer set to STOP at the center of Final Destination
+ D-tilt data was taken with the computer set to CONTROL.

If you see anything wrong with my method of testing that could skew the data let me know. So without any more ado:

DTILT Killing Percentages

King Dedede - 160%
Snake - 154%
Donkey Kong - 152%
Captain Falcon - 148%
Ike - 145%
Ganondorf - 145%
Bowser - 145%
Link - 142%
Wario - 140%
Wolf - 140%
Charizard - 140%
Yoshi - 138%
Squirtle - 136%
R.O.B. - 136%
Samus - 135%
Lucario - 133%
Pit - 132%
Sonic - 132%
Mario - 131%
Luigi - 130%
Marth - 129%
Ness - 129%
Diddy Kong - 128%
Lucas - 128%
Toon Link - 127%
Falco - 125%
Ice Climbers - 124%
Olimar - 122%
Peach - 121%
Pikachu - 121%
Zero Suit Samus - 120%
Zelda - 119%
Meta Knight - 118%
Shiek - 118%
Kirby - 117%
Game & Watch - 113%
Ivysaur - 109%
Jigglypuff - 105%

Average KO% for Dtilt: 131%

Plasma Shot Killing Percentages

Bowser - 129%
Donkey Kong - 127%
Snake - 125%
King Dedede - 124%
Charizard - 123%
Samus - 123%
Wario - 121%
Ganondorf - 121%
Yoshi - 121%
R.O.B. - 121%
Ike - 120%
Link - 119%
Captain Falcon - 118%
Ivysaur - 117%
Lucario - 117%
Wolf - 115%
Luigi - 115%
Mario - 115%
Pit - 112%
Ness - 112%
Sonic - 112%
Diddy Kong - 111%
Toon Link - 111%
Lucas - 111%
Peach - 110%
Ice Climbers - 110%
Marth - 108%
Zelda - 106%
Olimar - 104%
Shiek - 103%
Zero Suit Samus - 102%
Falco - 102%
Kirby - 102%
Meta Knight - 101%
Pikachu - 101%
Game & Watch - 99%
Fox - 98%
Squirtle - 97%
Jigglypuff - 95%

Average KO% for Plasma: 112%

LanceStern

Smash Lord
- There's definitely some crazy stats there. Like Ivysaur having a huge weakness to the D-tilt.
- Captain Falcon has abnormally large vertical heftiness, as well as squirtle.
- Bowser seems to fly less horizontally than other big fellas.
- Then there's some people where it's just not worth to kill with the D-tilt, and is just better to set them up with d-tilt combos.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Dtilt = Fire.
Ivysaur = x2 knockback from fire moves.
I do not see that being as crazy.

Captain Falcon = Fastfaller. So not suprised. Squirtle is also a fastfaller (to a degree, albeit lightweight) but still a bit shocked.

Bowser has better aerial drift but you stated there was no DI so I don't see how that'd matter.

(but by reading on....)

Although IIRC, haven't used training mode in a while... having the computer on "stop" will make them attempt to recover when knocked off the stage. Bowser has good aerial movement for a heavyweight - so therefore had better horizontal living. Also I don't know when they start recovering - so DI may have actually been a factor in those testings.

But otherwise nice job. Although IIRC things in training mode are sometimes rounded down a % (since there are no .5 damage things) so knockback MAY be changed slightly. (enough to be 1% off) but without DI you're going to be off anyways..

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Yea on stop they do try to recover, So it kind of helps for plasma shot because you could try killing at a perccentage or two less than that.

And I didn't know about that x2 knockback, even though I knew Ivysaur was weak to fire. I put computer on control for d-tilt because I saw them trying to airdodge after a dtilt.

SuSa

Airdodging is completely useless for vertical knockback as you cannot fastfall - so I actually doubt it would have affected your results at all.

Also since you are testing without any DI or momentum canceling, you wouldn't want to try at any %'s below what you have posted, except maybe charge shot when you're closer to the edge/offstage or dtilt on lower ceiling levels (Halberd for example)

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Samus' Charge shot.

What stage did you test on?
Final Destination.

What's cool about that is, since it was from the center of the stage, you can shoot people generally at lower percentages, because you'll never hit them at the dead center like I was doing in training mode, and there are a lot of stages that have a much shorter distance to KO than from the center of FD.

And FD has a relatively high ceiling... higher than most legal tourney stages I think. So you have a ballpark figure of what to get to before you can kill them on any stage.

I literally plan on bringing a notepad with these numbers on it to my matches and just check it depending on which character my opponent uses. Knowledge is power

SuSa

That would be a waste of time. Just use the main killing moves.

Moves:

Utilt:
1) Airborne Opponent (set them on jump...) and up tilt. Not sure if trajectory/knockback varies greatly depending on when it hits. But it actually launches them away not up.

2) Sweetspotted bair

3) Fsmash wouldn't hurt. (I think angled up/down would kill sooner)

SuSa

Thought so.

Also dsmash has yet to kill me at any reasonable % with proper DI. so..... you can test that if you guys want to, but again. I wouldn't waste time on moves that aren't to viable for killing.

P47Rotgut

Smash Rookie
That would be a waste of time. Just use the main killing moves.

Moves:

Utilt:
1) Airborne Opponent (set them on jump...) and up tilt. Not sure if trajectory/knockback varies greatly depending on when it hits. But it actually launches them away not up.

2) Sweetspotted bair

3) Fsmash wouldn't hurt. (I think angled up/down would kill sooner)

Dsmash would be good too.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
SuSa you are right. The CPU set to STOP has some DI involved and it can skew the numbers (they can die later or even earlier). I went back and retook the data with the CPU set to CONTROL. So Plasma Shot percentages have been updated, the opponent KOs earlier.

Werk!

Smash Rookie
Not to pile more work on ya, Lance (awesome stuff you doing here), but could you check 1/2 and 3/4 charged plasma shot?

Only if you have time and the effort. I'll be doing it myself when I get back to my Wii (2 weeks from now...)

See, Plasma shot fully charged results in significant *stun* time, which gives people time to DI it correctly. I want to see if the kill % scales linearly with how long the plasma shot's charged.

Because with half-charged Plasma shot (which *stuns* for significantly shorter), I occasionally surprise kill my friend at ridiculously low % because he can't DI the shot in time. (He plays Pika, with a momentum cancel...)

If it's too much, don't worry--it's just a lark. ;P

Top Bottom