• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy n00b's guide to not be as much of a n00b

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
*sticky plox*

I've been thinking about this for a long time. but I really didn't get anything done. but due to my busy schedule, I haven't gotten anything done yet. still, I feel it is necessary to have right this instant. the main purpose is to get everything in one thread so the noobs can post here rather than making a new thread. But I will also have the basest of info so n00bs aren't confused. Besides having Roy info, it will have Roy boards info.

Sorry if I'm coming out harsh. I used to be a Roy noob, and made stupid posts that I thought were always correct. but recently there's been way too many new threads and posts by people who just joined the boards, and they're not very useful at all. With the permission of the posters, I would like to include the "The new Roy Strategem discussion", "Roy Q & A- Ask Roy players about Roy", and "Advanced Royology!" in this thread. So far there's only some of my posts, but I will edit this later. Please everyone, read this before you make a new thread. also read the Faqs for a more detailed description. And I would suggest you all post here rather than make a new thread, or at least ask permission in this thread. the reason why I'm asking for a sticky on this is because when I made "The Wario "discoveries" thread", it wasn't stickied so eventually died and people went on to making a new thread for every "discovery" they found that we knew about for ages. I would appreciate it if Samich and Arc help me with this.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Roy boards: RoY hAs tEh pHiRe!!!!!!11!!!!!111!!!!one!!!!!!!uno!!!!! rOy'S oUr bOy RoY iS mAnLy MaRtH iS gAy

now that that's out of the way, please do not make this your post, no matter how funny it may be.

keep in mind Roy noobs

1) Roy sucks, Marth is amazing. Roy is low tier, Marth is top, just barely behind Fox for first
2) Roy is not in Brawl. Get over it. Brawl sucks anyway. and deal with that too, since this is the Melee boards so Melee is superior here.
3) Roy does not have any hidden techniques that you will be the first to find. but you should try anyway.
4) Roy can't combo. almost no hitstun as well as laggy moves with too much knockback and no projectiles.
5) Roy's moveset is extremely limited since he's low tier. here's what you should do and what you should not do.

DON'T: Dash attack, spam fairs (too much fairs. nairs are often better), do a normal (non short-hopped) jump more than twice in a round (really you shouldn't ever do it, but certain times arise), use counter (maybe like once in a match if you're certain they'll attack, just for the mindgames, but no more), use any smash besides Fsmash, spam Fsmash, use the Dair ever, or use the fourth hit of the DED (not DAD Rubyiris. and seriously, you'll almost always only need the first three normal hits. the only exceptions are the four down hits for shield poking, the third up hit for a meteor smash off the edge, and occasionally you can do the fourth up or normal hit as an edgeguard).

DO: CC (crouch cancel. basicly just crouch a lot), spam Dtilts, spam first three normal DED, SHFFL Nairs, use Dtilt to set up SHFFLed Uair juggles, andshieldgrab and JC grab and then try Dthrow>Fsmash at low percentages.

Roy doesn't have anything overly complicated techs all to himself, but he needs to use the basics if you want to get good.

1) Wavedash a lot. Roy has a good wavedash, and it can lead to fast Fsmashes, which by the way is the only good smash he has.
2) SHFFL. SHFFLing is extremely important, because Roy shoul almost always be on the ground and CCing. don't use your full jump more than once in a match. only SHFFL aerials.
3) L-cancel every aerial. Roy's aerials have a lot of lag, but L-cancelling it cuts that lag in half.
4) Tech at every time you can. otherwise you'll be comboed to death.
5) Crouch Cancel (CC). Roy's best setup is his Dtilt, and when CCed a lot it can almost make up for his sucky recovery.
6) dash dance and pivot
7) ledgehog
8) ledgeguard
9) ledgestall

let me tell you righht now. Roy doesn't have many strategies. but if you find one, we'll discuss. here's Rain's original thread:

"Melee is alive and kickin' which means that as Roy players we should have some kind of incentive to make stuff happen. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of things to discuss as of late, seeing as the Melee Metagame has changed once again. (At least from when I started playing in '07.)

Let's talk strategy, matchups, and use of unusual tactics to help improve Roy's personal Metagame. I'll update things as brought up in conversation, here.

Also...seeing as how everyone else is going along with the idea Shakugan and I started with Peach...why don't we make a massive Roy combo vid? I know that Sethlon isn't the only person playing Roy. I want to bring the Roy boards in a new direction. (Sethlon, care to lend a hand? Or anyone for that matter.)

So...I honestly want this to go through as a discussion, and not anything involving how great Roy is, or how much better Marth is. (Remember, SOMEONE is watching.) We know what Roy's real standing in Melee is. Let's just accept it, and move forward.

Let's start this discussion!!!"

Need help Roy newbs? Since I'm one of the most active members here, I'll critique or answer questions (and hopefully rain will too. Sethlon and Exarch, please come back. You're the only good Roys). Rain's original thread:

"Roy Q & A- Ask Roy players about Roy
Okay...this is the Roy help section. In other words...if you need your Roy critiqued, or you just need general Roy help. (different from the stratagem discussion) The Roy players with the know how will more than likely answer your questions. Since it's a pain in the butt for one person to be the answer guru, we'll just have the Roy heads do it.

Knuxrouge's compendium:

Roy's compendium of damage BETA
Roy's damage output for everything except specials (someone else could do them).
I'll organize it better tomorrow, sleepy.

*"Stales to" refers to the lowest possible damage this move can do if fully stale*

JAB
3-4% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 1.
--------------
5-6% Centered-fresh
Stales to 2.

FORWARD TILT
7% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 3.
--------------
10-12% Centered-fresh
Stales to 6.

UP TILT
6% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 3.
--------------
8% Centered-fresh
Stales to 4.

DOWN TILT
6% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 3.
--------------
10% Centered-fresh
Stales to 5-6.

NEUTRAL AIR
4% First Hit, 5% Second Hit Tipped-fresh
Stales to 2 first hit, 3 second hit.
--------------
4% First Hit, 8% Second Hit Centered-fresh
Stales to 2 first hit, 4 second hit.

FORWARD AIR
5% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 2.
--------------
8% Centered-fresh
Stales to 4.

BACK AIR
6% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 3.
--------------
9% Centered-fresh
Stales to 4.

UP AIR
6% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 3.
--------------
9% Centered-fresh
Stales to 5.

DOWN AIR
6% Tipped-fresh
Stales to 3.
--------------
9% Centered-fresh
Stales to 4.
--------------
9% Spiking Sweetspot-fresh
Stales to 5.

FORWARD SMASH
12% Uncharged Tipped-fresh
Stales to 6.
*16% Full Charge*
--------------
20% Uncharged Centered-fresh
Stales to 11.
*27% Full Charge*

DOWN SMASH
14% Uncharged Tipped-fresh
Stales to 7.
*19% Full Charge*
--------------
21% Uncharged Centered-fresh
Stales to 11.
*28% Full Charge*

UP SMASH
12% Total Damage Tipped-fresh
Stales to 6? (pure assumption, all hits may not connect)
*15% Full Charge*
--------------
16% Total Damage Centered-fresh
Stales to 9.
*22% Full Charge*

PUMMEL
3%, Stales to 1.

ALL THROWS EXCEPT FOR DOWN THROW
5%, stales to 2-3.

DOWN THROW
6%, Stales to 3.

Feel free to post vids or ask for advice.

Extremely note-worthy posts will be linked to in the OP. Also, let's not be jerks about other people's Roy playing."

keep in mind guys, this is not like the faqs where you're supposed to stare in awe and type "this thread is amazing" or "thanks for making this". Don't do that here. this is simply to guide newbies.

Once you've checked this out, be sure to check the guides and the videos in the stickied thread.

And for everybody offended, please PM me rather than spamming in this thread or the forums. I will kindly explain to you why Roy is in the tier spot he's in and why his movepool is quite limiting, and whatever else you need clearing up on.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
haha, all (if not most) of this is familiar to me. but along with "dont" and "do", you should consider a "situational" section.
like down smashes are very usefull against floaties AS A SUPRISE KILL. cant be used to much. or maybe shffl dairs at low% for a SUPRISE(and not 100% acurate) tech chase.
and some of the time, if ur foe fails a tech they MIGHT attack while getting up. which means counter.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Glad to see the Roy boards with some life in it.

As far as my 2 threads- The New Roy Strategem is to discuss the advancement of Roy's Metagame. Whereas the Q & A ia more of the helper section. People are going to have questions about Roy. I figured we can knock most of the useless stuff out of the way.

You have my permission to list the two threads in this one though. To be quite honest, I was about to make a thread like this, anyhow.

The Roy boards needs new life in it, and if someone doesn't take the lead....well we just get more of the useless crap. I'm just glad I'm getting the support of some of the other more experienced Roy players as well. It's slowly but surely moving away from the nonsensical joke that it was from before.

Good stuff, bro. Let me know if you need any help.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
haha, all (if not most) of this is familiar to me. but along with "dont" and "do", you should consider a "situational" section.
like down smashes are very usefull against floaties AS A SUPRISE KILL. cant be used to much. or maybe shffl dairs at low% for a SUPRISE(and not 100% acurate) tech chase.
and some of the time, if ur foe fails a tech they MIGHT attack while getting up. which means counter.
Meh, situational things like that is not something needed here. First you learn what you do, then you can improv. And I question the usefulness of a lot of that. I'm not adding that in, but you can edit whatever situational or general thing you want, and people will read it since it's the first post.

JustinOkay

Smash Rookie
When ever me and my bro do marth dittos it always ends up going 50/50. I have abetter chance with my row agasint his marth

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Since when is ftilt bad? Its not Roy's best move, but it helps as a get off me move since its quick and has decent knock back

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I never said bad, just rarely worth it. Like I said, this is to learn the basics. then you can get into why the Ftilt can be a last resort on faster opponents, why the Dsmash tippered can have some decent horizonatal knockback, therefore making it good if the opponent is in tipper range and you don't have time for an Fsmash, why the Usmash can be used on FoD and has an inconsistent but true spike, why the Uthrow can kill at very high percentages, or why the dair can be used if you can do it consistently and the opponent is at a high percentage and off the edge.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I-I'm sorry, but you shine Roy in the most negative light I've seen.
We all know he not as well rounded as Marth, but dude, seriously, it sounds like you aren't coming off harsh, but that you just flat out despise Roy, almost as if you are shamed to main him.
Roy isn't good, but we can strive him to be good, or at least decent, Roy has plenty of strategies and the discoveries are possible if not very probable. You never know when/if someone can find 'this' move to be useful at some time or 'that' works on this character. Get a grip man, you say barely anything good about him, I'm sure Pichu gets more respect than what you're giving Roy.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
We all know he not as well rounded as Marth, but dude, seriously, it sounds like you aren't coming off harsh, but that you just flat out despise Roy, almost as if you are shamed to main him.
Roy isn't good, but we can strive him to be good, or at least decent, Roy has plenty of strategies and the discoveries are possible if not very probable. You never know when/if someone can find 'this' move to be useful at some time or 'that' works on this character. Get a grip man, you say barely anything good about him, I'm sure Pichu gets more respect than what you're giving Roy.
You're right. Handsock actually does make Roy seem worse than he is.

Things like "Don't ftilt".

That move is amazing. Sure, it can be DI'd to high percents, but it's fast enough that it can catch people off-guard at times, and it doesn't have as high of a recovery time as fsmash.

"Don't Full Jump"? Give me a break. Yeah, we know that Roy sucks in the air, but FJ flare blade is a moderately good way to follow up when your opponent lands on a platform. Plus, you have to Full Jump in order to platform waveland. Kind of an overstatement then, that you shouldn't FJ more than "twice per match".

Being pessimistic usually isn't good. However, a mild amount of it never hurt someone too much. It's important that you at least reach acceptance of Roy as low tier and then move on from there to make the most out of his somewhat limited abilities.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
ugh. a whole 1/2 hour's worth of typing deleted. stupid auto-logout :mad:. Now I need to try to remember what I wrote down last time.

First: Accepting the fact that Roy sucks is a long honored tradition among the non-noobs of the Roy boards. As I've said before, I used to be a noob on these boards. I couldn't believe that Roy was bad, and worse than Marth by that much. I got a lot of flaming, until I finally realized that Roy is low tier (and what that means) and that going on about why he isn't is just annoying. I needed a slap in the face and some set-in stone rules before I became a better Roy player and started to actually make sense in the boards. hopefully I can do that to other noobs, without the personal flaming that I got, and before they make enough stupid threads for it to be necessary.

It's funny; I tell the Roy boards Roy suck, but on all the other boards I'm still told by everyone else (in, believe me, harsher tones. like they're disgusted that I main Roy) that Roy sucks. check for yourself, I not that long ago was fighting and arguing in the matchup thread because they "guessed" that Roy has no strong matchups and is below M2 and Bowser and Zelda and G&W. But soon I stopped because good smashers like Taj (who BTW won many major tourneys with Mewtwo) began working on newer versions of the thread and know more than me.

You may think what you like about me, but just so you know I love Roy and could never have any other main. I'm the best I can be with him (way better than I would be with fox or sheik or Marth) and don't use any other character seriously, besides maybe Falco because he's so fun.

now this may be a disagreement we never solve, but I don't think you can make Roy good or decent, or any other character better. Roy sucks, no matter what you do. You can make him look good, and maybe even up his tier placement, but he will always be the same. You may, however, make yourself better while playing Roy. And that is the point of this thread and the Roy boards and SWF and all forums for hardcore games.

I made this thread, not so I could tell people if 'this' move is useful at 'this' time or 'that' works if the other character does 'this' while you're doing 'this', but so that newcomers don't get too cocky and lead them on their first step to becoming better players. So you can get a grip man. there's plenty of people talking about something "good" about Roy. someone needs to put overly confident noobs in their place. And FYI, I have tons of respect for Roy, but random praise isn't exactly respect in my eyes. Nothing can match the respect I have for Roy and the people who work hard and are good at him, which is why I feel compelled to teach noobs how to work hard and get good at him.

You're right. Handsock actually does make Roy seem worse than he is.

Things like "Don't ftilt".

That move is amazing. Sure, it can be DI'd to high percents, but it's fast enough that it can catch people off-guard at times, and it doesn't have as high of a recovery time as fsmash.

"Don't Full Jump"? Give me a break. Yeah, we know that Roy sucks in the air, but FJ flare blade is a moderately good way to follow up when your opponent lands on a platform. Plus, you have to Full Jump in order to platform waveland. Kind of an overstatement then, that you shouldn't FJ more than "twice per match".

Being pessimistic usually isn't good. However, a mild amount of it never hurt someone too much. It's important that you at least reach acceptance of Roy as low tier and then move on from there to make the most out of his somewhat limited abilities.
Fine, I took out "don't Ftilt". It was mostly in because at the time I was thinking about a noob's video showing him spamming Ftilts, thus ruining his game completely (and about RoK's "the Ftilt is the best move in the game" attitude). Still, it's situational. I'd love to make another thread about situational moves and "combos", but I'd need the help of Sethlon and Ripple (and if he comes back Exarch) to do it.

I said don't FJ more than twice in a round exactly because of the occasional Flare Blade edgeguard or platform lag punisher. and obviously you can do it for getting on the platforms, by which wavelanding is the best approach.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic. if you notice, I never said "You should switch to Marth/another character" or anything about there not being hope. I simply stated the truth, which is that Roy has a limited movepool and your best bet is to start simple and improv when you feel necessary if you wish to get better at Roy. I didn't mention any situational moves or "combos", but the best place to learn that is in pro videos, more specifically Sethlon's more recent ones.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'll see how this goes before stickying. There has been a lot of attempts at making guides/ Q&As lately in the Roy boards and all have flopped. If you can inspire and rile the Roy powers that be we will see >.>

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lol, Arc....it just takes a little bit of effort in the right areas. Look at how my thread sparked some intelligent Roy conversation. (I know those 3 words rarely go together, xD) It's obviously going to take effort from several Roy players to make this work.

Now to address some things:

I think Sok may come off a bit harsh...or I should say that he SEEMS to come off a bit harsh. The thing is....until you come to understand just how bad of a characer Roy is...you can't possibly take him to the next level. I think that the problem is with the newer Roy players that just love to brag about how great Roy is. i love the fact that people try to make him out to be better than he really is. Sure...he has the potential to go places like an character. (It's just that Roy is gonna take a HUGE amount of work, and it's moreso the player than the character to an EXTREME amount.) Marth is better...people need to accept that. He's NOT High Tier, and never will be...people REALLY need to accept that. Once you accept that, and UNDEDRSTAND his weaknesses, you can take Roy to the next level.

I <3 Roy, but the fact of the matter is that he is NOT a great character...even though he's fun as all heck to play. People just need to understand that and take off those Roy-colored glasses. I believe that's what this thread is about.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Handsockpuppet, I'm sure you have good intentions, but you aren't inspiring any N00bs to come to grips with reality by making Roy look like some sort of worthless clot.
I mean, when you were a Roy noob, would you have read a post like that, and honestly took it to heart that you had to accept that "Roy is terrible", or would you have defended your belief?
I'm sure as hell that most noobs would think you're bull****ting.
If you want to get the message across, then try a bit more of a subtle approach, something that clearly shows that you want players to know that "Roy isn't the smash God, in fact he's not even a contender, the sooner you accept this, the sooner you can improve"
Your "Don'ts" section should be re-evaluated. Down air is a beautiful combo starter if L-canceled, Forward air is a good combo starter as well, neutral air, assuming you land both hits, does not combo. Roy is a decent single strike character, but he does and can combo.
This thread wouldn't be very inspiring for a new Roy player, because I'm sure that even you can vouch that just telling them straight up how it is, won't work very well.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
RoY hAs tEh pHiRe!!!!!!11!!!!!111!!!!one!!!!!!!uno!!!!! rOy'S oUr bOy RoY iS mAnLy MaRtH iS gAy...
contribution complete!

rhan

Smash Hero
This thread is so true.

Seriously though. I play Young Link and I can make top 10 best Young Link's out there. But it's not worth it. Low tiers just can't win. No matter how hard we try and all the hardships we endure wejust can't win.

Is it time to just play a legit character?

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I was hoping he'd take part of my post and just put it up there, lol. For real though....I know what he's trying to get at. Perhaps a little more tact is in order, though. Still in all, most people don't really get the point across when you post the nice way. (I've tried it.) You have to be a little harsh in your posting...but not like....rude. Straightforward, but still not stand-offish. I know that's kind of hard to do...it takes a certain gentle touch.

Edit: Rhan...you also don't want to make people not play Roy. People should play who they like. If it's low tier, then they better have a backup character to make up for the mathups that they can't win. Simple as that.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
This thread is so true.

Seriously though. I play Young Link and I can make top 10 best Young Link's out there. But it's not worth it. Low tiers just can't win. No matter how hard we try and all the hardships we endure wejust can't win.

Is it time to just play a legit character?
Well, Im going to tell you the same thing I've told this community for years now.

If you want to play a low tier and think it's that bad, pick up a secondary for your bad matchups. I mean Smash is the only competitive fighter with a dumb rule that lets the winner change characters, so going off of hunches and knowledge, you can actually avoid bad matchups.

Is it that easy? No, but that's what happens when you dont play top tier in ANY game. But in most other games (read: all that arent mvc2, actually), plenty of people find ways to play lessor characters. It just takes time and effort because they cant cookie cut the same ideas everybody else does.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Well, Im going to tell you the same thing I've told this community for years now.

If you want to play a low tier and think it's that bad, pick up a secondary for your bad matchups. I mean Smash is the only competitive fighter with a dumb rule that lets the winner change characters, so going off of hunches and knowledge, you can actually avoid bad matchups.

Is it that easy? No, but that's what happens when you dont play top tier in ANY game. But in most other games (read: all that arent mvc2, actually), plenty of people find ways to play lessor characters. It just takes time and effort because they cant cookie cut the same ideas everybody else does.

Quoted for truth.
Deciding to main low tier is a choice we make, if we think that won't be enough, then second a more capable character.
I personally play characters, because they're fun, so tiers rarely affect my selection.
I main Roy, Ganon and Falcon, and second Pichu and Falco. They're fun!
I mained Xianghua in Soul Caliber 3, and I only recently discovered she was top tier.

zombie999

Smash Rookie
I'm a Roy noob and i was wondering is there anything that Roy does better than Marth?

Mindgames Son!

Smash Cadet
I'm a Roy noob and i was wondering is there anything that Roy does better than Marth?
He SHFFL's faster; however Marth's SHFFL leads into more combo's and can combo into more SHFFL's better. I think his fsmash range is bigger despite it's sweet spot being smaller, or that could be his flare blade; idk I don't use Roy except when my friends tell me to use someone else other then Marth.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
No. Everything about Roy is equal to or worse than Marth.

Tech chasing: About even.
Spacing: Evenish, but Marth's aerials are faster, so it goes to Marth.
Edgeguarding: Marth wins no contest.
Recovering: Marth by too much.
Comboing: Marth (try Ken comboing or utilt chaining with Roy).

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
*sticky plox*

I've been thinking about this for a long time. but I really didn't get anything done. but due to my busy schedule, I haven't gotten anything done yet. still, I feel it is necessary to have right this instant. the main purpose is to get everything in one thread so the noobs can post here rather than making a new thread. But I will also have the basest of info so n00bs aren't confused. Besides having Roy info, it will have Roy boards info.

Sorry if I'm coming out harsh. I used to be a Roy noob, and made stupid posts that I thought were always correct. but recently there's been way too many new threads and posts by people who just joined the boards, and they're not very useful at all. With the permission of the posters, I would like to include the "The new Roy Strategem discussion", "Roy Q & A- Ask Roy players about Roy", and "Advanced Royology!" in this thread. So far there's only some of my posts, but I will edit this later. Please everyone, read this before you make a new thread. also read the Faqs for a more detailed description. And I would suggest you all post here rather than make a new thread, or at least ask permission in this thread. the reason why I'm asking for a sticky on this is because when I made "The Wario "discoveries" thread", it wasn't stickied so eventually died and people went on to making a new thread for every "discovery" they found that we knew about for ages. I would appreciate it if Samich and Arc help me with this.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Roy boards: RoY hAs tEh pHiRe!!!!!!11!!!!!111!!!!one!!!!!!!uno!!!!! rOy'S oUr bOy RoY iS mAnLy MaRtH iS gAy

now that that's out of the way, please do not make this your post, no matter how funny it may be.

keep in mind Roy noobs

1) Roy sucks, Marth is amazing. Roy is low tier, Marth is top, just barely behind Fox for first
2) Roy is not in Brawl. Get over it. Brawl sucks anyway. and deal with that too, since this is the Melee boards so Melee is superior here.
3) Roy does not have any hidden techniques that you will be the first to find. but you should try anyway.
4) Roy can't combo. almost no hitstun as well as laggy moves with too much knockback and no projectiles.
5) Roy's moveset is extremely limited since he's low tier. here's what you should do and what you should not do.

DON'T: Dash attack, spam fairs (too much fairs. nairs are often better), do a normal (non short-hopped) jump more than twice in a round (really you shouldn't ever do it, but certain times arise), use counter (maybe like once in a match if you're certain they'll attack, just for the mindgames, but no more), use any smash besides Fsmash, spam Fsmash, use the Dair ever, or use the fourth hit of the DED (not DAD Rubyiris. and seriously, you'll almost always only need the first three normal hits. the only exceptions are the four down hits for shield poking, the third up hit for a meteor smash off the edge, and occasionally you can do the fourth up or normal hit as an edgeguard).

DO: CC (crouch cancel. basicly just crouch a lot), spam Dtilts, spam first three normal DED, SHFFL Nairs, use Dtilt to set up SHFFLed Uair juggles, andshieldgrab and JC grab and then try Dthrow>Fsmash at low percentages.

Roy doesn't have anything overly complicated techs all to himself, but he needs to use the basics if you want to get good.

1) Wavedash a lot. Roy has a good wavedash, and it can lead to fast Fsmashes, which by the way is the only good smash he has.
2) SHFFL. SHFFLing is extremely important, because Roy shoul almost always be on the ground and CCing. don't use your full jump more than once in a match. only SHFFL aerials.
3) L-cancel every aerial. Roy's aerials have a lot of lag, but L-cancelling it cuts that lag in half.
4) Tech at every time you can. otherwise you'll be comboed to death.
5) Crouch Cancel (CC). Roy's best setup is his Dtilt, and when CCed a lot it can almost make up for his sucky recovery.
6) dash dance and pivot
7) ledgehog
8) ledgeguard
9) ledgestall

let me tell you righht now. Roy doesn't have many strategies. but if you find one, we'll discuss. here's Rain's original thread:

"Melee is alive and kickin' which means that as Roy players we should have some kind of incentive to make stuff happen. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of things to discuss as of late, seeing as the Melee Metagame has changed once again. (At least from when I started playing in '07.)

Let's talk strategy, matchups, and use of unusual tactics to help improve Roy's personal Metagame. I'll update things as brought up in conversation, here.

Also...seeing as how everyone else is going along with the idea Shakugan and I started with Peach...why don't we make a massive Roy combo vid? I know that Sethlon isn't the only person playing Roy. I want to bring the Roy boards in a new direction. (Sethlon, care to lend a hand? Or anyone for that matter.)

So...I honestly want this to go through as a discussion, and not anything involving how great Roy is, or how much better Marth is. (Remember, SOMEONE is watching.) We know what Roy's real standing in Melee is. Let's just accept it, and move forward.

Let's start this discussion!!!"

Need help Roy newbs? Since I'm one of the most active members here, I'll critique or answer questions (and hopefully rain will too. Sethlon and Exarch, please come back. You're the only good Roys). Rain's original thread:

"Roy Q & A- Ask Roy players about Roy
Okay...this is the Roy help section. In other words...if you need your Roy critiqued, or you just need general Roy help. (different from the stratagem discussion) The Roy players with the know how will more than likely answer your questions. Since it's a pain in the butt for one person to be the answer guru, we'll just have the Roy heads do it.

Feel free to post vids or ask for advice.

Extremely note-worthy posts will be linked to in the OP. Also, let's not be jerks about other people's Roy playing."

keep in mind guys, this is not like the faqs where you're supposed to stare in awe and type "this thread is amazing" or "thanks for making this". Don't do that here. this is simply to guide newbies.

Once you've checked this out, be sure to check the guides and the videos in the stickied thread.
Lol, the guy who wrote this is a moron. Yeah, Roy isn't as good as Marth and he isn't one of the best characters in the game, but this guy(handsockpuppet) is a ******. ''Roy can't combo''? Any skilled Roy player will tell you that Roy can do that quite well and all you have to do is watch almost any of Neo's Roy videos for proof of that. Sethlon and Reed have some good combos in their videos as well.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
Unfortunately there isn't much, I'm really annoyed out how badly Nintendo balanced this game. However if you want to get technical then Roy can kill with his B move far easier than Marth and his counter is far stronger. I imagine it's easier to combo spike with Roy's forward B as I've never seen Marth do it before.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
this is what hand-sock boy boy said...
( blah, blah, blah...)

( blah, blah, blah...)
In responce to this useless thread, this was all I could say to help it out...
RoY hAs tEh pHiRe!!!!!!11!!!!!111!!!!one!!!!!!!uno!!!!! rOy'S oUr bOy RoY iS mAnLy MaRtH iS gAy...
contribution complete!
Unfortunately, some little snitch got his panties in a wad and turned a joke into a big deal, and now I've got the mods on my back.
Lol, the guy who wrote this is a moron. Yeah, Roy isn't as good as Marth and he isn't one of the best characters in the game, but this guy(handsockpuppet) is a ******. ''Roy can't combo''? Any skilled Roy player will tell you that Roy can do that quite well and all you have to do is watch almost any of Neo's Roy videos for proof of that. Sethlon and Reed have some good combos in their videos as well.
I agree, but watch out! You might hurt someone's feelings for telling the truth about a useless new thread. Honestly, if a noob can't search the boards like a normal smasher and find stuff out the good old fasion way... he deserves to stay a noob. AND, If the mods want to start jumping on people for making spam posts , they sould do so to hand-sock kid for making a new roy thread with absolutlety no new info in it.
Yes, roy has tEh pHiRe! and marth dosen't!.... grow the **** up roy boards!

Sukai

Smash Champion
No. Everything about Roy is equal to or worse than Marth.

Tech chasing: About even.
Spacing: Evenish, but Marth's aerials are faster, so it goes to Marth.
Edgeguarding: Marth wins no contest.
Recovering: Marth by too much.
Comboing: Marth (try Ken comboing or utilt chaining with Roy).
No way!
Recovery too?
How so?
Roy's side B is better though.

ike_love.....
You're the one who needs to grow up.
Make a positive contribution, or I'll report your post again.

Getting mad, because a mod punished you for spamming??
How old are you!?

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
ike_love.....
You're the one who needs to grow up.
Make a positive contribution, or I'll report your post again.

Getting mad, because a mod punished you for spamming??
How old are you!?
Are you serious?!? You're still trying to make "positive contribution" to a thread that has already been redused to you "good" players accepting that roy is low tier and sucks, and the "noobs" arguing that he's as good as Marth. Come on, it's been done before, and one of the most important rules of the boards is to SEARCH BEFORE POSTING. Turn HandSock in if you wanna be a snitch. Accept that this thread is low tier, and quit trying to defend it, it's just gonna get flamed out in the next couple of weeks or just wither away like every other meaningless roy thread out there. So thank you for letting me know who ratted me out for making a good-timed, light-hearted, and well-placed PHIRE joke, and again I just wanna say... grow up.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Let me just give you a small piece of advice. Don't go around calling people morons, especially when you're new to the boards. Handsockpuppet is not a moron. His posts are intelligent and written with good intentions. If you have something to critique, I would appreciate it if you would do it in a constructive way. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, please don't double post.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Are you serious?!? You're still trying to make "positive contribution" to a thread that has already been redused to you "good" players accepting that roy is low tier and sucks, and the "noobs" arguing that he's as good as Marth.
You misunderstand.
Us good players already know pf his abilities or lack thereof, positive contributions include discussing what parts of Handsockpuppet's post should be re-evaluated. Why don't you start there for positive contributions.
Come on, it's been done before, and one of the most important rules of the boards is to SEARCH BEFORE POSTING.
Dead threads are an exception. They're outdated for 1 and likely made by someone who's no longer active. Under that circumstance, it justified to make a new thread. Little thing called common sense.
Turn HandSock in if you wanna be a snitch.
You really should grow up, this isn't high school where people are encouraged not to "tattle tell", see spam, report it. Don't wanna be "snitched" on, don't make posts for people to snitch, again, common sense.
Accept that this thread is low tier, and quit trying to defend it, it's just gonna get flamed out in the next couple of weeks or just wither away like every other meaningless roy thread out there.
Fact=/=Opinion
Because you think it's meaningless, doesn't make so.
So thank you for letting me know who ratted me out for making a good-timed, light-hearted, and well-placed PHIRE joke,
Your welcome!
Spam is spam.
and again I just wanna say... grow up.
If growing up means not reporting spam as the rules promote doing so, not positively contributing to a thread and not maturely discussing topics there in, then I'm gonna be a kid forever!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Bit of advice; if you dont like a thread, just let it go and if it's really a problem it'll be handled.

Going around taking potshots at people isnt going to get anything accomplished.

And then trying to tell mods what they should and shouldnt do?

-laughs sarcastically-

>: ) Get at me.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
Let me just give you a small piece of advice. Don't go around calling people morons, especially when you're new to the boards. Handsockpuppet is not a moron. His posts are intelligent and written with good intentions. If you have something to critique, I would appreciate it if you would do it in a constructive way. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, please don't double post.
If people act like morons then I'll call them morons, you may be right that handosck isn't a moron being as I have no idea who he is and I only have this thread to judge his intelligence on, but in this thread he has clearly demonstrated a clear lack of intelligence and apparently other people agree with me.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Just ike_love, and the designated hype man is seeing into that.
Handsockpuppet was exaggerating.
And name calling is mean.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Dead threads are an exception. They're outdated for 1 and likely made by someone who's no longer active. Under that circumstance, it justified to make a new thread. Little thing called common sense.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231808 This is a link to the Roy Strategem.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=233740 This is a link to the Roy Q&A thingie.

Both were alive and kicking at the start of, and even mentioned in the first post in, this thread. If a noob has a question, they could go to either one of these. I've been playing roy since '06, and I wouldn't recommend taking too much of Hand-Sock's advise. But what do I know, I'm not a big shot on the boards, nor am I famous like Neo, so don't take my word for it. As a matter of fact, I'm done. I'm bowing out knux, you win. No more shall I post in this thread.

Top Bottom