• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BSL (Bull **** Lag)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
This isn't exactly a new discovery and many people already know about it, but for those of you who don't:

SCOTU said:
There is a mechanic that has a "flag" in memory that is set to "on" whenever one of a set of moves (iirc, only moves that can put you in helpless can, but not all do) is performed. The next time you land, the flag is set back to "off" and it has the additional effect of making that landing no able to be interruptible via IASA frames. This goes both for interrupting aerial landing lag, and normal landing lag. It's especially bad for normal landings (and autocancels, since they just give you normal landings), since instead of the IASA 2, and 5 you're used to for a soft/hard landing (soft landing = not fast falling from a height less than or equal to your full jump height; hard landing = fast falling or falling from higher than your full jump), you can't interrupt it, meaning you'll take the full 17 or 29 frames of normal landing lag.

Just remember: It's not lag in itself; it doesn't generate any lag, it just makes you take the the full lag from other sources. It's kinda like AIDS it doesn't kill you by itself, it just makes you extremely susceptible to other ****.
To clarify: Basically if you use one of these moves and snap to the edge, the next time you land on the ground, you're going to have 17 or 29 frames of landing lag unless you attack into the ground, in which case you'll have that amount of lag. Unless your move auto cancels, in which case you'll have the 17 to 29 frames of lag.

Anyone who's still confused should pick marth, up b to the edge, and then jump up and land on the ground. The landing lag should be noticeable.

Characters that are affected by BSL after Up B:
Marth
Mario
Luigi
Pikachu (only if the 2nd part is used)
Squirtle
Charizard

Characters that are affected by BSL after both Up B and Side B:
Falco
Fox
Wolf
C. Falcon
Ganon

*Credit goes to SCOTU for the info and Levitas for writing **** down for me during testing

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I didn't know it worked for certain characters. I could've sworn the list used to be shorter...

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
I had no idea it affected the 2nd part of pikachu's quick attack... That explains why a friend of mine couldnt do QAC properly sometimes, ill have to tell him

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic's air trip is probably the same thing

and lucario has a strange glitch where if you use a grounded upb and never leave the ground, you cant upb again until you land. funnily enough though this is fixed by c-sticking up like you do with IDC during the extremespeed

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If I'm understanding this correctly, Kirby has the same thing after he uses sideB (both in the air and ground), downB (both in the air and ground), or upB (after cancelling on the ledge), then landing on-stage... He gets landing 'lag', even if he lands without a freefall state.

In the kirby boards, they call it "phantom lag", since it only appears after those attacks. We usually cancel out most of the lag with a fast aerial, like Kirby's nair.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Is there a video :( ?

I dont understand it :S
So as you may know there are some attacks that cancel when you land, right? You use an attack, and as you land, you get no langing lag with the attack, right?

Well, there are some attacks that when you use them, you DO get landing lag and you have to suffer a buttload of frames without being able to do anything except wait for the animation to end... And you still get the landing lag, even if the attack finishes and you're still airborne.

Grab Kirby, whenever you get to play the game again. Jump a couple of times, and notice how whenever he lands, you can do absolutely ANYTHING without any kind of landing lag. Now, jump high up and use sideB in the air, then land after the attack finishes, and try to do anything while your landing. See how you can't do anything and you suffer a buttload of lag?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Isn't this just RCO lag? Meaning when Marth or Mario uses their upB to grab the ledge from offstage, then whenever they decide to land onstage, they suffer the ending lag of upB if they land. That's what what I'm hearing anyways.

It's annoying, but can be dealt with by using an aerial to land instead of normally landing to replace the upB landing lag with one of your low lag aerials of your choice.

TP

Smash Master
Isn't this just RCO lag?
Yes. I'm not sure why a thread was just made about it, since I'm sure there are multiple ones before it.

We have analyzed Ganon's RCO lag in great detail. We have found ways to reduce it and to make it change the lag after some things to LESS than the standard amount. We're that awesome.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Sounds like the RCO lag. I made a new thread cause there was no mention of this in the Guide to AT's and Glitches and there aren't any threads talking about it in the last month or so. People miss opportunities to take advantage of this way too often, probably cause they don't know, so I put this in a new thread so it's easy to see.

I had no idea it affected the 2nd part of pikachu's quick attack... That explains why a friend of mine couldnt do QAC properly sometimes, ill have to tell him
It doesn't affect being able to QAC, but if you QAC it doesn't count as landing so the next time you land after QAC'ing, you're going to have BSL or RCO lag or whatever it's officially called.

.AC.

Smash Lord
Sonic's air trip is probably the same thing

and lucario has a strange glitch where if you use a grounded upb and never leave the ground, you cant upb again until you land. funnily enough though this is fixed by c-sticking up like you do with IDC during the extremespeed
sonic´s air trip is unrelated 2 this,this has been known 4 a whike just that no one had bothered two explain as much.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yes. I'm not sure why a thread was just made about it, since I'm sure there are multiple ones before it.

We have analyzed Ganon's RCO lag in great detail. We have found ways to reduce it and to make it change the lag after some things to LESS than the standard amount. We're that awesome.
Aside from replacing the RCO lag with aerial lag?

TP

Smash Master
Aside from replacing the RCO lag with aerial lag?
Ganon can't do that. None of his aerials autocancel and all have at least 16 frames of lag. Instead, we drop from the ledge and then use side B to get back to it since it has less RCO lag than Up B, and we then side B to the stage because this causes side B to have 8 frames of lag instead of its standard 16.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't affect being able to QAC, but if you QAC it doesn't count as landing so the next time you land after QAC'ing, you're going to have BSL or RCO lag or whatever it's officially called.
Riiiiight, ok then

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Ganon can't do that. None of his aerials autocancel and all have at least 16 frames of lag. Instead, we drop from the ledge and then use side B to get back to it since it has less RCO lag than Up B, and we then side B to the stage because this causes side B to have 8 frames of lag instead of its standard 16.
I see. That would mean that his sideB suffers RCO lag too, you're just exchanging the 16 frames of upB for the 8 of sideB?

I have to see if Mario can do something like this.

TP

Smash Master
? i thought all of ganon's aerials can autocancel (except for the fair). isn't that what thunderstomping and uair>fsmash buffering is about?
There are 2 definitions of autocancel floating around. The lag of Ganon's Dair does not get canceled, it's just that the move is completely over before he hits the ground. The strict definition of autocancel is the animation gets cut short by landing but there is no landing lag. None of Ganon's moves meet that definition.

Magus420

Smash Master
There are 2 definitions of autocancel floating around. The lag of Ganon's Dair does not get canceled, it's just that the move is completely over before he hits the ground. The strict definition of autocancel is the animation gets cut short by landing but there is no landing lag. None of Ganon's moves meet that definition.
SH d-air autocancels. If it were completely finished you would be able to doublejump out of it. The AC window doesn't need to be large/very noticeable for it to exist.

TP

Smash Master
SH d-air autocancels. If it were completely finished you would be able to doublejump out of it. The AC window doesn't need to be large/very noticeable for it to exist.
Well, at any rate, it does not get rid of the lag this thread is discussing.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Ahh, I had a feeling Luigi has some lag when he grabbed the ledge during upB... but I wasn't sure. Squirtle has this too?

This **** sucks, but good to know, so I can think about something to avoid it... (and punish my enemies if they have it =D)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
this is mad old, but extremely frustrating for marth users as we definitely get it the worst.

what he is basically saying is this:

If you use your up b with marth for example, you will experience significant landing lag. Normally, this lag goes away if you grab the ledge using your up B, but for the moves listed above, your next landing on the ground will cause you to receive the up B landing lag. You can negate this by using an aerial as you land.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
how exactly do we take advatage or how does it work against/ for us
If someone else suffers the landing lag you can punish. If you suffer the landing lag, you can be punished. That's really it

Top Bottom