• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edrees Yoshi Video Thread: Critique!!

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
So I'm making a thread for this because I want to update it and get more advice as I get more videos uploaded. I kind of want to bookmark/save this page as a PDF and be bale to reference it, so I didn't want to just post it in that Yoshi critique video thread. Hope you guys understand! I especially want to compare the later vids to the new vids to see if I follow said given advice. Just how I like to do things.

So I finally have ONE video of my Yoshi. This was during tournament. I went Yoshi a few other times, but it didn't get recorded. I have like 30 vids recorded against Praxis' peach which I'll be uploading in a week or so, but til then one vid is better than nothing!

Feel free to tear me apart, but please be constructive.

(Please note that everytime I egg rolled I was actually trying to Egg toss...)

6/01/09

Edrees (Yoshi) VS CPU (King DDD) Match 2, SCSA Tournament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J_zsY0y5bE

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Nice job, but too bad that you lost. He grabbed you out of your double-jump. =(

Well, here's a few things I noticed:

-Great job on suriviving against him to very high percentages. King Dedede's only KO move that Yoshi has to watch out for is his u-tilt, and you did well on spacing yourself so that you wouldn't get hit by it (except in the second stock).
-Do you have Tap Jump on? I noticed that you double-jumped whenever you ECEed. Unless you are DRing (I didn't notice any DRs in the video), then taking Tap Jump off is a must. That's probably what got you in your last stock.
-Until you get King Dedede into kill percentages, I don't recommend using Yoshi's f-smash. In fact, it may be possible to f-smash King Dedede if he just slightly messes up his chain-grab, so try experimenting to see where it's appropriate to use it.
-Don't be afraid to edge-guard King Dedede by going off the stage. Eggs also work well since his air-speed is so terrible.
-Be careful of that up-B. You would have won if you managed to time your u-air correctly in that last stock. Try to time the momentum of King Dedede's up-B with your u-air and you may net some early kills.

I think that's all I noticed. >.>

EDIT: One more thing. Learn the timing to chain-grab King Dedede. Show him that we can do it, too! :bee:

bigman40

Smash Master
I'll list some stuff later. I like to point out everything (cause I tend to rate harsher than normal ppl) that I think could affect you so it depends on what you wanna take into account :)

Also, I don't really like tapjump for Yoshi players since you can't egg toss before you upB (and ECE wouldn't be as dangerous either). Try seeing how Yoshi feels with no tap jump.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I always turn tap jump off for Yoshi. I just forgot to during that set because I went Peach first match =( (And I like tap jump on for her) I didn't realize until my 2nd stock and I figured it was too late to say anything. Thanks for the criticisms, these things I don't see myself so far but they are so true when I go back and watch it. =)

Airborne

Smash Lord
wow edrees, great yosh! i don't really know what to say since polt covered a good amount of it and that i think that your yosh is already better than mine, though that's not really saying much XD

oh, one thing that works well against D3 and other fatties when it comes to returning to stage is a rising dair. it does an immense amount of damage, as well as having the ability to combo into another aerial (not including fair or dair b/c that's just dumb =P)

also, have you ever worked on the spacing with your fairs? it would've looked like you would've had the perfect spike right before you take off CPU's second stock, had it not been for getting so close.

good ****. =D

bigman40

Smash Master
Alrighty then! *cracks fingers* Let do this!

Be careful when going off the ledge. D3's Bair beat's ours and it would force you to airdodge (which could possibly hurt you if you can't make it to the stage with your DJ alone). I noticed that you also like doing Rising Bairs from the ledge lol (it's good too). Just don't make a habit out of it.

Idk if you noticed, but when you got the egg lay cancel, you had 30 frames to react before CPU lol. It's something that we don't expect, but if you know the egg lay will land, then you could possibly just buffer in a Fsmash or something so that if the cancel happens, you get free damage in.

One thing I noticed, when he started facing you, you instantly began spacing the rising Bairs from the ledge. Excellent adaption there.

The egg roll. If you end up making that mistake, just try to roll to the end of the stage. You would've minimized the amount of space CPU could've CGed you. And for the loss of DJ death, wait a little before jumping. At the spot you were in, D3 can still continue the CG from there. Wait until you get far enough away before trying to recover.

Otherwise, I actually liked it. I probably could have pointed out more stuff, but they didn't really get to me enough to mention them. Good stuff Edrees =D And about CGing D3, I don't recommend it, but that's my opinion. Just keep ****ing with his head with the grab games, and speaking of grab games.....be careful not to get too open from your grabs lol.

D

Deleted member

Ight firstly, nice job so far edrees. I liked a lot of things, like baiting airdodges with usmash, and the perfect spaced bair to fsmash. But heres a few things you might wanna consider:

Firstly, i know it was working on him, but the egg lay thingy you were doing wont work on everyone after you did it practically EVERY time you were in taht position. Just pointing it out, nice going tho.

2nd, you grabbed offensively way too much against D3. Aim for getting grabbed at most 2 times against him, you could have easily ran to the ledge in those situtations, or just spaced a down tilt, or ANYTHING. Grabbing offensively vs D3 should only be used to grab him out of of the air. I even hesitate to run behind and pivot grab because the posibility is there for them to grab you.

3rd, dont always complete your jab combos. You got grabbed twice i think because you finished a jab combo on his shield. Try single jab to SH nair, single jab to down tilt, or single jab to down b (you had quite a few opportunites for jab to down b kills.

4th, try some unusual mixups. Running Sh dair as an approach on his shield is safe except for maybe an ftilt if his shield is full and he angles, but taking 6-8% is worth letting him know you have another approach that will **** his shield and cant be spotdodged, giving you more opportunites to land egg lays.

Theres more, but that should do for now :)
Good work :p

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
id say try spacing pivot grabs a bit more as u were able to punish d3 pretty easily while he was trying to landing and up or down throws (depending on how high u want d3 to be), also u seem to be using bair to up air combos i would recommend using up tilt or up smash cause up air should be more of a kill move against d3. also u seem to like that egg lay move i would put in some sh wavelanded dragonic egg lays or just regular drgonic egg lay (we got some fancy words for the word slide) heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNX3CV8jEA
u seem very mobile in the air but kinda stiff on the ground, thats about it good luck on ur yoshi

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I can't remember from watching the first time, but try to abuse down air on Dedede's shield.

It's a great shield basher and applies lots of passive pressure. Just make sure to use the move in such a way that you don't get grabbed. Oh, yeah, you got grabbed quite a bit. As Sockz said, try not to grab offensively (or anything that is any higher than mediocre risk on the ground). You took lots of damage from chaingrabs that could have been delayed, if not avoided.

I'll have to rewatch to remember some stuff, but overall pretty solid for the level.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Thanks so much everyone for all the ideas! This is what I'll be needing to incorporate to get over the hump. Stockey your post particularly had a lot of stuff I kept thinking to myself "Ahhh so true, I should have done this and that"

Chaco

Never Logs In
Also, if oppurtunity arises use Dair-DownB on shield. It eats half or more.

Top Bottom