• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"terrifying my love of commonness"

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Link to original post: [drupal=1697]"terrifying my love of commonness"[/drupal]

Or, "Rant about Writing #367" (At least it isn't about cockroaches this time?)

Almost every fanfic writer has a reason. It's probably because, as a hobby, fanfiction earns a writer more odd looks and raised eyebrows than, say, playing videogames. So there's a greater need to explain oneself.

I don't really have a reason. It isn't all that interesting of a story.

A lot of fanfic writers who claim to take their work seriously also claim that they're writing fanfiction as a form of practice before they tackle original work. That has always struck me as odd, though I can see the logic behind their reasoning. It's common for art students to copy established artwork to practice technique, actually. So, that there is a writing equivalent isn't surprising. But when I started writing, I wrote "originals." I didn't call them that because it never occurred to me that a person would ever write someone else's ideas. Even as part of a school assignment, when we were told to write an epilogue for a book we had read in class, I had trouble with it. I always--always--brought in my own characters. Writing someone else's stories was just a weird concept to me.

All you need to know about my current relationship with reading and writing is this: I f*cking hate writing. Reading is not much better. Sometimes I can force feed myself a book. Often times, I can't.

Reading fanfiction is easy in comparison. It's instant gratification. Writing it, however, is less so. Significantly less so.

I used to love reading. I probably used to love writing too. Those days are long gone, and there's no point in trying to bring them back. I don't want them back anyway.

Given a chance, I'd ditch this fantasy world and all its trappings like a bad habit.

I came upon fanfiction when I was in school. I was too old for it then, and I'm too old for it now. There wasn't an Internet when I first started writing. Good thing too because that prevented me from inflicting my juvenile abominations on too many outside eyes. I gave up writing at around the same time I gave up games.

It all came back to me the day my roommate came home with a free promo copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee from work. We had all the characters unlocked within a few days. I even broke my rule against using Gamefaqs to find out how to do it.

I found myself on Smashboards looking up advanced techniques. There was also a writing forum, I found out, totally choked up with fanfiction.

I'm a slave to the visual. Give me an image without a story; if it strikes me, I will probably make a story for it. And that story, if it imprints on me deeply enough, gets stuck. Whether I choose to write it or not, it doesn't go away.

So how do you deal with something like that? You're obsessed with something you hate.

I don't do it for practice, but it's become practice. My unfinished works from years past have resurfaced. Unless I take a power drill to my head, none of it will ever go away.

My mistake was probably in giving in to the impulse to spit something out onto the Internet and expecting it to cleanse my mind, to dissolve this mental fog and return me to myself. Maybe I wanted something simple to construct, something to carry the mantle for all those unfinished works I abandoned years ago, something to stand (or to fall) in their place. Instead, it all just snowballed.

I read books this way. I watch movies, listen to music and play games this way. I always, in the back of my mind, look for narratives that are similar to those old ghosts, those old stories, my stories. I want someone else to do it; I want someone to have done it, so I don't have to.

I don't ever find them, though, not really.

There's a real life case study I learned of about a man who was incapable of forgetting. His memory went beyond photographic. He remembered everything he had ever experienced, every detail, however minor. He worked as a news reporter. His boss got mad at him for not taking notes during a press conference, but he proved that he could recite everything that had been said during the meeting.

He was tormented by his memories. He wrote them down onto pieces of paper and set them on fire. It didn't work; he couldn't make himself forget. He also suffered from depression and eventually committed suicide.

I'm not that guy. I'm glad I'm not that guy. I remember his story though, when I forgot most everything else that was taught in that neuroscience class. It was just an anecdote the professor told us to hold our attention through the rest of the hour.

I used to say that I don't remember why I remember the things I do, things from my life, from the books and articles I read. But it's become obvious that I only remember the most useless details. These things serve no purpose; they don't help me learn the subject matter at hand; they don't help me contribute to the pool of human knowledge; they don't even make good stories to tell at a drunken after party, in between conversations with old friends about the old days, old bar fights, old riots, old loves, old f*cks, old and new altercations with law enforcement officers. The things I remember don't serve any purpose.

But these things, these useless anecdotes and pointless details--they can be weaved into a narrative, can't they?

That's how it begins.

Free will, like justice, like world peace. Such a brilliant f*cking illusion.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
You're one of the best writing critics on the whole site, and I would love to read some of your work.

In the end though, you don't write because you want to. You write because you have to. Like you said, you look for your stories out there because they MUST be told. If you have the urge, you have to do it. It's only a matter of when.

Once you write it, I'll be there to read it.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
That...was the greatest bog I have ever read. I actually stopped reading my book to read this.
Like... wow. I'm rather amazed at that writing. As jam said "Once you write it, I'll be there to read it."

I would say I'm the opposite to you, I enjoy writing, I really do. once you start you can get lost in it and elude this world for a matter of time. some call this running, I call it taking a break. Life hits you hard and you generally need a break.
that's my opinions on writing, I will only ever try and be a great writer with stories, they can be about anything that sparks my interest, but it will be a story about fictional things, Maybe with a bit of non-fiction in there.

I recently wrote a story for my last major assignment in English class about a boy who had traveled back in time due to a worm whole, and on the start of his journey he saw a glimpse of himself rocketing through the sky. It was short and sweet but it was the best mark I got, only story we were allowed to write

Sorry about rambling

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Jam: Thanks. There are a number of people here who offer decent writing critique. I just fake it as best I can. Maybe one of these days I'll finally stop whining long enough to write something not dedicated to how much I like to complain about my life.

@East: Yeah, perfect memory. I can only imagine what that'd be like. You learn some interesting things in school. Sometimes. (Rarely.)

@Cherry: I might envy your optimism just a little. My last major assignment in an English class involved zombies. And needles. And lots of drugs.

Moral of the story, kids: Don't be like me.

bobson

Smash Lord
If you ever figure out how to get rid of it, let me know.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I nearly went into orgasm while reading this.

Good stuff Mr. Nino, good stuff.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Wow, wonderful read, El Nino. I'm glad I happened to glance at this Blog of the Week.

And that story about that guy who couldn't forget anything... That's just something else.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Keeps coming back to get you eh?

I've been into the idea of using other setting and characters to tell stories. Ussually the former, I just enjoy expanding and building on top of a world that already exists the chalange of keeping that world real, or better yet making it more real.

...I think of it like this. My Fanfic could all easily be ripped from their mold if you will. swaping out names is all it would take, perhaps that is because of the free hands off nature of the creators give most of their characters... maybe it's just me. But when I write I give the characters a unique personality their own motive and own beliefs just like I do with my original characters.

I write fan fics because I like telling stories, at it's most basic level it is just that simple.

Top Bottom