• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ike Interview Topic: Getting Started

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hello, and welcome to the Ike Interview Topic! Here is where everyone has a chance to ask questions to well known/respected/pro Ikes, and see what various Ikes have responded to. Not only should this help the board become more lively, it's a good way to spread around knowledge and information.

The questions can range from:
General Character things (Why did you pick Ike? Who did you use before Ike? Did you know about Ike before Brawl came out?)
Ike specific (What is your favor jab cancel? How do you rate his recovery compared to other characters?)
Match-up specific (How do you rate the X match-up? Why do you feel that X match-up is ##-## instead of ##-##, how do you win X match-up?)
Board/Site specific (Which other Ike do you wish to meet the most? Who is the best Ike you have faced? Who do you think contributes the most? What do you think of Ike's newest placement on the tier list?)
Pro Specific (How is it like living in such-and-such place? What got you into Brawl tournaments? How did you come up with your username? How is the tournament scene in your city? How was it like getting your first win?)

I shall try to ask a number of questions from each category, so everyone can receive a wide range of knowledge about the various members of this board.

RULES
-No flaming.
-No asking obviously embarrassing/crude questions. They will not be picked. We are not here to find out about so-and-so's love life.
-Be respectful. These are you fellow board members and Ike mainers after all.

Previous Interviews
-None so far.

Currently Interviewing

-Kirk

The arguably most well known Ike mainer out there, the Ike with the most tournament results, and if my memory serves me correctly the first Ike to win a tournament in who knows how long! Who else would I kick start this topic with?

Ask away.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I highly recommend that you consider who to interview first from the list I made from AiB as well as the good Ikes on these boards.
-RenegadeTX2000
-Arturito_Burrito
-ilovekimchixD
-Silven
-theeboredone
-Rykoshet
-metroid1117
-Kirk
-NinjaLink
-san
Note: These are only the good Ikes that are from AiB that also have a Smashboards account and visit Smashboards quite frequently.

metroid1117

Smash Master
We should also add Griever; even though he hasn't been too active as of late, I think it's safe to say that his combo video has certainly inspired more than a couple of people to play around with Ike, and his Ike is (was? hopefully is) just very good in general.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Not to ride but Ryko definitely is the one who stands out the from the crowd of Ikes, and not just because of his combo videos. Even though he's already posted a lot about his Ike journey already I'd still like to see more of his opinions on random stuff I haven't thought of myself.

I almost wanted to nominate ilovekimchixD to ask him what the hell his name meant, but then I deciphered the code and googled "kimchi" and find out. That stuff looks incredibly delicious and I can't blame him for naming himself after such a heavenly dish.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Omg, epic confusion on back to back posts with same avatar.

Epic training will commence now to get ready for FS...-hugs his SF 4 and watches it go into the shelf...-

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
We should also add Griever; even though he hasn't been too active as of late, I think it's safe to say that his combo video has certainly inspired more than a couple of people to play around with Ike, and his Ike is (was? hopefully is) just very good in general.
I agree with you 100%. However, the reason I took him off the list I just posted was because he quit Brawl and it doesn't seem like he has a Smashboards account so I'm not sure how Niddo would be able to contact him.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Kirk agreed to be interviewed first, I think it would be a safe bet to go with him first. XD

Go ahead and post your questions!

Melfice z

Smash Ace
this just sounds like another q&a/ask thread, but nevertheless good idea! here goes:

what are some of ikes most reliable/safest kill moves? opponents are starting to smarten up to me two stocks in lately :(

Project D

Smash Journeyman
How did you get to the level you are at now? did you have a training partner or similar?

I need to think some better questions tbh -.-
more to come later! (probably)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It's only fitting that he's interviewed first... He's like.. THE old school Ike and he's still around today. Basically, he was a pioneer of Ike's meta-game and he hasn't stopped contributing (we'll forget that little break =P) to the Ike boards. Mention that in his interview.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
Do plan on updating/finishing Ike's frame data and guide?

What do you recommend we do in order to improve the ike boards?

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Do plan on updating your guide with Empy?

Do you second anyone or do you use Ike exclusively?

Do you have another combo video in mind?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
1) Do you fight for your friends?

2) Do you have no sympathy to MK?

3) Are you mysterious commenter X...baby?

4) What was the greatest "combo"/"mindgames" you ever pulled off?

5) What is the stupidest thing you've done in a brawl match?

6) What is your favorite kill move?

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see this topic spreading, because I can't interview everyone :D

-You seem to have a liking for Snake, do you secondary him?
-Do you plan on traveling to any national tourneys like GENESIS, Evo, or GameUnicorn?
-Why is your Ike so bad ***?

metroid1117

Smash Master
What has playing Ike taught you, whether about Smash or life in general?

What is your own personal worst match-up? Your own personal favorite match-up?

How long have you played Smash and what made you transition from a casual player to a competitive player?

Project D

Smash Journeyman
now I remember something!
Why did you choose Ike in the first place? has any point in time did you think you were going to give him up for a different character? (hmm...maybe I should have kept my mouth shut for the second bit)

How do you deal with the smaller characters of brawl like Olimar and Kirby? (hate them) Do you have a certain method of dealing with them?

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Some of my questions are repeats but who cares?

1) How do you come up with such good mindgames?

2) What do you think would be the best way to practice?

3) Are you going to make another combo video?

4) How did you get so good? Is it just playing for a long time or what?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
My high school graduation was this past Sunday lol.

Funnily enough, it was held at the college I'm going to next year :laugh:.
That's exactly what happened to me. Graduated '08... at UNT.. where I started classes... in '08. LOL. And, to see a few friends, I just went to this year's HS graduation.. on MY campus. Hahahaha. And when I graduate from college.. guess where I'll be.
I don't know HOW many graduations I'll have attended in the UNT Coliseum in my life.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Another question, what is your advice to aspiring Ikes out there. And 2nd, what do you do when your Ike hits a road block? A road block such as you just keep losing now and get anywhere with Ike at the moment.

Top Bottom