• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Moveset Discussion: Dair

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Wolfy Wolf's Spike. The down air spike.

This move is kind of a high risk high reward thing. If you hit them, you get more hitstun on the opponent than all of Wolf's moves, you can set them up for a tech chase or put them up in the air with extra hitstun (Combos maybe?) The risk obviously is that it has a lot of lag. HOWEVER, this can be...lessened. If you are in say a full hop, and start the Dair so that the hitbox comes out and hits the top of the opponent's shield, you can usually make use of Wolf's aerial mobility so that you're a fair distance away from the opponent. Not unpunishable distance, but enough so that you limit their punishing options.

Anyway, discuss away!

(Sorry about my...hiatus, it was nice not seeing you scrubs for a few weeks ^_^)

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
It's your most damaging aerial, not mentioning its a GREAT spike.

But like you said It has starup lag, and cooldown time both in the air and upong landing. Tall characters can actually get shield pressured by AC Dairs, you just fullhop Dair retreat.

Mastering this move is important, and by mastering I don't mean knowing how to use it, but knowing when to use it and when NOT to use it. Since a failure can easily get you killed.

All in all it's a great move, at least on the purpose it serves: To meteor Smash.

But it is a high risk high reward move as said by Arc, so use it sparigly and only when you think it'll hit.

Also

Listen to Arcpoint, Arcpoint is wise.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
D-air is alright, its not something that you should spam like B-air tho. It can be autocancelled kind of similarly to F-air if you use it right when you short hop so its nice to keep that in mind.

It can be good to mix things up with this if your opponent is expecting more B-airs.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ This... It's a mediocre spike, one of the weaker ones in the game iirc. Not to mention the start up and cool down are fairly significant (unless you AC). I use it onstage mostly, but it has good range to work well enough offstage.

Dair has two hitboxes, not much difference besides one being weaker.

I guess I use it most for punishing/mixups after baiting my opponent. Not the best move, but certainly workable.

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
It's a spike.

Honestly, what else is there to say? You've all said it can be good, but that's not because of anything Wolf-unique thing. The real reason? It's a spike.

Spikes are good. It's basically a big FU to your opponent when offstage. Spikes like Falco's actually have something unique to them. For Wolf? It's just this move you use when Snake's using UpB (obviously it's more than that, but you get the point). I wouldn't use it otherwise.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I think its use onstage is more than that of its offstage use....
...lol... I juggled a CPU Ike with dair once about five times, it was hilarious... lololololol

I've definitely used dair onstage once and a while, most times by accident, but it does fifteen damage, pretty good for one hit, but I personally don't see it useful at all, save for quick kills offstage... At most, it will confuse the opponent or even upset them that they were hit with it.

I'd like to see a video of it being useful onstage. I think, while implementable, there are better options.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I agree that it's more useful onstage than offstage. If you can bait your opponent into using something like a dtilt, jumping over them and using dair works well. It sounds kinda stupid, but if you predict well and whatnot I'd say that's dair's biggest use.

Also, techchasing sometimes, but it's average in that respect.

:059:

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I love the spike, and I use it as an AC move a good amount. If you get the timing and spacing right this move is very lethal, it's one of the most powerful spikes in the game, it's just hard to land. I find that it will sometimes surprise an opponent and stock them. When the opponent is hanging on the ledge I run up and perform a SH dair for a killer spike.

Vista

Smash Journeyman
The move's best use is literally to hit people from above LOL Pretty safe on block against quite a few people I think. It's pretty dumb offstage though, with a few exceptions (Snake where you at)

That's my input.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I've actually found that the character I spike most with wolf is MK. During their glide I just jump right over them to where they're defenseless.

I love this spike so much, just coupled with wolf's recovery it's kinda lackluster and I end up using it for all or nothing wins (both last stock, I miss I don't recover, I hit I win. ya know). It usually surprises people.

The move just looks awesome too.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I use his forward+B to spike rather than his down+ air.
And that my friend, is what I call a FTBITATK. Kudos to anyone who somehow sees what that spells out.

Seriously though, I spike with my dair a lot. I play stupid people. I also spike with the flash, which is also sad.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I only use this on predictable recoveries. I ussualy go b-air just to be safe.

This spike is even more idiotic because you have a nice disjointed alternative.

Top Bottom