• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to PROPERLY Discuss Match-ups

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
As I've been discussing match ups over the last year+, I've noticed that far too many people simply do not have a general understanding of what they're supposed to talk about in match up debates. This is most relevant in SWF. Other fighting game communities would flame the **** out of you for some of the garbage you guys spew in match up discussions.

I'm feeling incredibly generous on this fine Sunday afternoon, so I suppose I'll break it down for you guys.

First, I would like to cover the difference between "Fighting the Player" and "Fighting the Character."

Fighting the player is the only real way to beat top tier characters. You can't expect to rely on your character's tools up against the opponent's tools to win you the match. For example, Marth vs Snake. Snake's spacing tools and excellent stage control allow him to counter a lot of Marth's standard gameplay. He can't rely on his SH Fair and dtilt zoning to shut down his opponent like he can against a lot of other characters. Let's take this match for example:

RoyR vs Razer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSC8Ts8LL0

We see here that in this match RoyR was CLEARLY the better player than Razer. He outplayed him in all aspects by reading his opponent and positioning himself and his sword properly throughout the match to let him win. This is how a lower tiered character beats a character that clearly has the advantage over him when you look at the Character vs Character. Sure, Marth has a few tricks on Snake here and there, but when you look at the big picture, Snake is clearly a superior character.

What I'm trying to explain here is that you can't say a character has the advantage over another character by going solely off of what you see at tournaments or how you do vs your friends. It doesn't work like that. When you guys start bringing in BAITING and MINDGAMES into a match up discussion your whole point of view practically becomes invalid. Baiting and mindgames are intangibles, you can't discuss them. They don't show how a character matches up against another, just the player vs the other player.

You have to draw the line when it comes to the human element. That line is this: You assume that both players are masters with their characters and will make minimal mistakes. They are capable of placing well in tourneys at a high level of play. When you look at a character you are looking at their tools and their attributes and how they can be used. If you are savvy in fighters then you would know that a fast move with good range will be used for zoning, moves with little recovery will be good pokes, projectiles will be used for projectile zoning etc etc.

Fighters are all the same for the most part. When you are looking at character vs character you are more or less cutting out the human element, but at the same time it's still there. Obviously, a CPU won't bring out a character's full potential, so you have to acknowledge that a human will be playing the character. HOWEVER, do not go beyond that point. Once you do, things start getting really messy. You start getting into mindgames and baiting etc. The effectiveness of those things also varies player to player.

So when you look at character vs character, these are essentially the things you should be discussing:

• Range, safeness, and recovery of attacks. I already went through this stuff above. If, for example Meta's dtilt clearly outranges, outspeeds, and out prioritizes your opponent to the point of they can't really get around it then that's a solid advantage Meta has over a character right there.

• Air speed, especially in Brawl. Because of the reliance of aerial approaches in Smash due to their safeness, this can become a significant factor. Aerial zoning is very important as you don't have to commit to your action compared with other fighters. And you can short hop which is big.

• Punishment. Does the character you are discussing have good, fast punishing moves? Good OOS options? (see Marth's DB) Good aerial counters? (see Meta's up b/tornado) What can these moves do to shut down certain aspects of your opponent's game?

• Kill moves. Can your character RELIABLY and SAFELY kill your opponent? Some characters lack these moves and can really make landing the kill on an opponent difficult. A lot of characters have to completely rely on waiting for their opponent to completely mess up in order to kill them. (for example GW trying to kill Marth)

• Recovery.. meh sorta kinda. This is something Smash has different over other fighters and people somewhat overrate it. The on-stage game matters way more, off stage is what, 10% of the match? Maybe less.

• Grab game matters too. Especially in Brawl, as grabs can be used to put your opponent into very bad positions where you can continue to pressure them/trap them and deal damage.

Basically, what it all comes down to is can this character take control of the match? Can they STAY in control? If they lose it by messing up, do they have the tools to quickly put a stop to their opponent's momentum and regain the control and momentum of the match? That's what it comes down to. Control and breaking out of control.

None of this "I play Peach and always do well vs Marth's in tournament, I don't think Marth has the advantage it's probably around even" should EVER.. EVER be raised in a discussion. Like I said, other, smarter communities would flame you hard for making such foolish statements. If a Peach player says, "I'm good at fighting Marth" , that's irrelevant. Peach isn't good at fighting Marth, that's relevant.

Up hill fights are just one huge mindgame (for the one at a disadvantage). This is because Smash relies heavily on option select because a lot of stuff you can do you simply don't have to commit to. You can see stuff coming and 75% of the time you won't be able to punish because it's safe. So sometimes it's all about figuring out your opponent. Other times, you can completely rely on your character's tools to dominate. Like how Marth can frame trap a lot of characters with his dtilt. That's not mindgames, that's pure character abuse.

Smash is a weird game.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
OP its because no one discussing them has proper standards. Nor are they enforced. While it was generous of your highness to grace us with information most mature individuals know, if high quality posting is to take place it must be enforced. This is something SWF does not do as a whole.

If you want better, more highly structured posting, then delete bad posts and promote good posting. Its very simple mentally to think about, but enforcing is a whole other ball game.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'm not saying we should enforce anything, I'm educating you so we can start being a better community as a whole.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Thank you for this I see this happen all the time, and I have to repeatedly go uhh you know the oppenent is good right.

Sometimes you gotta consider risk/reward, like a good example is ZSS vs Snake, Snake clearly has the priority game and spacing down until he is off the edge, but a single grab, can lead into a chain grab off the edge, which the fear of its usage can effectively shut down alot of his options turning a similarly 1 sided match to being fairly close.

So basically you can be playing for a while ZSS gets knocked up to 50%, blam, ZSS finally guess's right, snake gets pulled upt to 50% and is now off the edge, which he doesn't want to happen.

I guess what Im trying to say is you shouldn't really use mindgames as an argument but you gotta remember if you can predict it you can beat it rule, and in some matches, while you may lose it 70%-80% of the time due to the odds, if you guess right the rewards can balance it out.

OP its because no one discussing them has proper standards. Nor are they enforced. While it was generous of your highness to grace us with information most mature individuals know, if high quality posting is to take place it must be enforced. This is something SWF does not do as a whole.

If you want better, more highly structured posting, then delete bad posts and promote good posting. Its very simple mentally to think about, but enforcing is a whole other ball game.
Yeah this, the only time I got carded, was because I trolled a really really bad post, though I was pretty mean. Im used to seeing probation and warnings happen because people are dumb... and for trolling.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
And Im saying people doing the match-up threads need to be much more aggressive in how people post their content.

Basically, what your striving for Steel2nd is what can be accomplished if the posters, post with better quality and content. I'm speaking in a much more macro--broader terms. If we wanted to break it down how to properly discuss a match-up, inside the realm of posting, then thats where your lovely essay comes into play. And I agree whole heartedly. Theres a playstyle you have to deal with and the character. Just talking about one side of the story IS NOT the match up.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think you are right in saying that we should not judge a matchup by what we have seen at tournaments or in playing our friends. If you are going to judge a matchup, you need to give good reasons why you think a matchup is the way it is.

Now, I don't know if you consider understanding the tactics of people who use the other character to be incorporating the human element too much. For example, a lot of Olimars will camp you and try to get you to approach so they can punish with a pivot grab. I think it helps a great deal to understand other character's tactics and how to avoid getting dominated by them. Although, I do agree that it can vary from player to player.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
How can there be no place for "baiting and mixups" though? It can be a factor of a character that the moves allow someone to force another player into a constraining set of options. No talk of making mistakes, no babble that the opponent won't recognize what's going on - but concrete statements about the pressuring ability of this character's moves.

You probably meant the words in some sense that excludes this meaning. But where does this meaning fit then; what should it be called?

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I think he's referring to them as they relate to the players instead of the characters themselves. Not everyone is going to play the same. People will have their own tendencies and habits that are unique to them. Something like that shouldn't have weight on a match-up. Match-ups are'nt how you and I do against our friends. They're how the match is approached at the highest level of play. So whereas you might "bait" your friend into doing something and it works well, something similar against a different player may backfire in your face.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The thing though, is that some characters are BETTER at baiting and the like than others because of character specific attributes; therefore, it becomes more likely that if you use that character (granted you know what you're doing), you'll bait and punish better.

For example, a character with very fast falling speed and low aerial mobility usually won't bait falling opponents into airdodging very well. Characters like Kirby and Wario, though, are excellent at it. An opponent using one of these characters at the highest level of play as opposed to say Ganon, will usually bait a/n airborne _______ into airdodging or attacking better... usually. It's not totally dependent on the character though, as it varies among different matchups and players, but this isimportant to put into perspective when you are discussing a matchup that this can affect.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
And Im saying people doing the match-up threads need to be much more aggressive in how people post their content.

Basically, what your striving for Steel2nd is what can be accomplished if the posters, post with better quality and content. I'm speaking in a much more macro--broader terms. If we wanted to break it down how to properly discuss a match-up, inside the realm of posting, then thats where your lovely essay comes into play. And I agree whole heartedly. Theres a playstyle you have to deal with and the character. Just talking about one side of the story IS NOT the match up.
Kinda confused on what you mean, but what I think Steel just wanted people to discuss characters properly, explaining as many aspects to a match as possible to allow readers to near completely understand the match-up.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
uh i'm mad tired and don't have time to answer everything but..

good luck discussing the Sonic matchup >_>
good example of the sonic match posted by emblem lord:

Sonic - Sonic has speed and some auto combos thanks to his spin dash, but other then that you can treat him like a better verison of CF, which doesn't mean much honestly. He still loses in the match-up for the same reasons CF does. Marth is a faster attacker, with more power, more reach and loads more priority. Sonic has some neat tricks up his sleeve with his spin dashes, but alot of it is just mindgames and surprise tricks, not reliable strats or methods of gameplay. Play your usual game of zoning and punishing with Dancing Blade.

---rest isn't important
I feel like DK is now the best character in the game... he does well on almost all of your criteria.
>_>

DK has very exploitable weaknesses.

If you block any of his standard zoning/camping tools you can punish him and try to stay on him. Basically, if he messes up you can punish him badly.

He has the tools to keep his opponent out while other characters have the tools to penetrate his zoning and stay on him so that he can't reset himself.

Also, you're basically saying the only way DK can be seen as not the best character is by beating him with mindgames? >_>

Oh my goodness, SWF. Oh my goodness.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. Steel copied and pasted this thread from like half of what I said in a convo like 3 weeks back.

Good stuff Steel lol.

Also I didn't mean to say you can't discuss mix-ups. Mix-ups are valid. I meant to say mindgames.

Interestingly enough mix-ups are a division of mindgames, but they are tangible. You can see mix-up situations fairly easily.

daisho

Smash Lord
DK has very exploitable weaknesses.

If you block any of his standard zoning/camping tools you can punish him and try to stay on him. Basically, if he messes up you can punish him badly.

He has the tools to keep his opponent out while other characters have the tools to penetrate his zoning and stay on him so that he can't reset himself.

Also, you're basically saying the only way DK can be seen as not the best character is by beating him with mindgames? >_>

Oh my goodness, SWF. Oh my goodness.
You use fancy words to confuse me...

• Range, safeness, and recovery of attacks. I already went through this stuff above. If, for example Meta's dtilt clearly outranges, outspeeds, and out prioritizes your opponent to the point of they can't really get around it then that's a solid advantage Meta has over a character right there.

DK has great range and many of his attacks can be spaced well so they are unpunishable (Ftilt D tilt Bair punch down b)

• Air speed, especially in Brawl. Because of the reliance of aerial approaches in Smash due to their safeness, this can become a significant factor. Aerial zoning is very important as you don't have to commit to your action compared with other fighters. And you can short hop which is big.

DK has great air speed. Not 100% clear on what zoning is but...

• Punishment. Does the character you are discussing have good, fast punishing moves? Good OOS options? (see Marth's DB) Good aerial counters? (see Meta's up b/tornado) What can these moves do to shut down certain aspects of your opponent's game?

DK can down B up B and grab out of shield (with his grab having one of the longest non-tether ranges in the game). He can punish with punch for mass damage and effect quickly or side b or up b or down b or d smash... they are all fast.

• Kill moves. Can your character RELIABLY and SAFELY kill your opponent? Some characters lack these moves and can really make landing the kill on an opponent difficult. A lot of characters have to completely rely on waiting for their opponent to completely mess up in order to kill them. (for example GW trying to kill Marth)

DK can reliably kill anyone. He has a number of fast moves that have great knockback such as Punch and D smash. Even U air and U tilt are good fast killers at high percents. Fresh B air also kills well (though its usually not fresh).

• Recovery.. meh sorta kinda. This is something Smash has different over other fighters and people somewhat overrate it. The on-stage game matters way more, off stage is what, 10% of the match? Maybe less.

DK doesn't get gimped that much while he gimps most characters pretty well with his good ledgestall, cargo throws Bair and Up B edgeguarding as well as his spikes.

• Grab game matters too. Especially in Brawl, as grabs can be used to put your opponent into very bad positions where you can continue to pressure them/trap them and deal damage.

DK has one of the best non chain grab reliant of Grab release reliant grabs in the game if not the best.

So yeah... those are the things that popped into my head when I read your post.

Browny

Smash Hater
steel you say baiting and mindgames are not quantifiable

how then is warios aircamping a viable strategy which suddenly gives him the advantage vs almost everyone. dont forget the ability for MK so simply sit in his shield and up-b oos vs everything you throw at him. those two tactics are nothing but baiting and have severe mindgame consequences on the enemy, and allow the characters to drastically push most matchups in their favour.

Think about it for a second. marth v mk is always fun to discuss. Take approach stuffing out of the equation of what happens? the MK doesnt even have to move and the marth player is forced to very carefully think out his approaches, his normal methods which make him such a good character suddenly lose a lot of effectiveness. the mk player doesnt even have to know about approach stuffing and its still going to 'mindgame' you to an extent.

If you ignore baiting and respective punishment as a tactic you are severely underestimating what wario and MK will be capable of. Apply the same to Sonic and all his various cancels. If you dont account for them i think its fair to say most of the cast easily counters him, exactly what was going on in tier list 1.0. But what good is that assumption going to do against good players?

btw EL did you like my tier painting? You were an inspiration of sorts :p

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
djbrowny I never quite understood why you hated me so much.

I remember the first time you posted in the tier list discussion you called me a scrub and a Marth fanboy for pretty much no reason.

Why do you dislike me anyway?

I have never ever ever went out of my way to insult you or anything.

So what's the deal?

Anyway, camping isn't a mindgame. It's a valid strat using the tools available to you to lure your opponent in. Warios incredible aerial prowess allows him to penetrate his opponents zone with ease and draw out attacks.

See?

Tangible.

BTW, top level sonics like Malcolm recognize that mindgames should not boost a character. I mean if they do.. where do you draw the line. There may as well not even be tiers if it's all mindgames. Clearly this is not the case.

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
good read.

But it's only natural to want to account for personal experience when discussing a match-up.

I think all of us have been guilty of this at some point or another.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
It's nearly impossible to do it with characters like Ness and Pikachu due to their lack of standing grab range.
I play pikachu, and I do it all the time. It doesn't work when an attack pushes you away (like shielding Marth's F-smash), but when shielding some less powerful attacks, it leaves them nice and open for a grab.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
None of this "I play Peach and always do well vs Marth's in tournament, I don't think Marth has the advantage it's probably around even" should EVER.. EVER be raised in a discussion. Like I said, other, smarter communities would flame you hard for making such foolish statements. If a Peach player says, "I'm good at fighting Marth" , that's irrelevant. Peach isn't good at fighting Marth, that's relevant.
I died inside several times over reading this bit
Incase you are implying it, I should clarify that we don't take mindgames into account when we do match ups ever. Believe me, we've had a hell of a lot of hassle in the past when stuff like that has been argued about *coughPikachucouch*

Also I'm not sure when DK popped up but regardless of how decent he is, he's not going anywhere if someone counterpicks DeDeDe. Quite literally with a standing chaingrab if you get my drift

But I like this and I think I'll point it out to people if things get messy because mindgames mean little match up wise

clowsui

Smash Legend
You use fancy words to confuse me...

DK has great range and many of his attacks can be spaced well so they are unpunishable (Ftilt D tilt Bair punch down b)

It's called powershielding. All of this stuff is telegraphed. If you see a DK standing in front of you at Dtilt range you know he's going to FTilt or DTilt if he feels like being safe on block. If a DK is jumping with his back at you then you know he's going to Bair you or retreat and bait your shield. Furthermore you haven't taken the speed of these moves RELATIVE to others' moves, their priority, etc. If these attacks are so "unpunishable" then why, when Bum/ook/Ripple space BAir/Ftilt/DTilt/DownB perfectly do they still get punished by MK's Dash Attack, Tornado, SH Fair, and other such good tools?

Also, the frame data CLEARLY shows that DK's attacks are fast but not unpunishable.

DK has great air speed. Not 100% clear on what zoning is but...

Then don't talk about DK being a great character. It's actually one of the best parts of his game.

DK can down B up B and grab out of shield (with his grab having one of the longest non-tether ranges in the game). He can punish with punch for mass damage and effect quickly or side b or up b or down b or d smash... they are all fast.

Down B comes out on Frame 18, wtf are you SMOKING? Shield drop takes 6 alone so 6 + 18 = 24 frames for me to recover. Up B is JC and has SA on 10-16 so that's pretty good. Grab out of shield...you can easily space attacks vs. shield to avoid that or you could simply do crossups. Punch takes 17 frames to come out, most safe moves take less than that to cooldown into shield loool. Side B is good vs shield but comes out on frame 20, good luck beating good moves. DSmash comes out on Frame 10, which is pretty good I guess...

DK can reliably kill anyone. He has a number of fast moves that have great knockback such as Punch and D smash. Even U air and U tilt are good fast killers at high percents. Fresh B air also kills well (though its usually not fresh).

Punch is NOT fast. DSmash is relatively fast. UAir, Utilt and BAir are what DK relies on all the time to kill, I agree. It's just that they're telegraphed and easy to space against.

DK doesn't get gimped that much while he gimps most characters pretty well with his good ledgestall, cargo throws Bair and Up B edgeguarding as well as his spikes.

Cargo throw BAirs are telegraphed. Ledgestall can be defeated by quite a few characters. UpB edgeguarding only requires you to trade with UpB and get another shot at recovering. His spikes take forever to come out lol.

DK has one of the best non chain grab reliant of Grab release reliant grabs in the game if not the best.

Explain.

So yeah... those are the things that popped into my head when I read your post.
Replies in bold. Also the fact that if DK is put up on the blind pick he auto-loses.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Great read Steel, I completely agree with the entire post...hell, I've even said some of those things once or twice before.

In regards to characters like Sonic and Wario who're adept at mindgaming due to their speed, I suggest that it should be included in "Sonic's ground game is good because...he also has a few mix-ups (mindgaming tactics)." and perhaps list a few general ones. Any further really just exacerbates the whole slippery slope problem.

"Nobody would fall for that at high level play", "We'd be able to react in time to stop it" and ideas of that sort would skew matchup results.

I died inside several times over reading this bit
Incase you are implying it, I should clarify that we don't take mindgames into account when we do match ups ever.
This is a massive exaggeration. No offense to him, I think he's really smart when it comes to matchup discussion and whatnot, but Dark P.ch takes personal experience and mindgames into matchup discussion pretty often, and none of the other Peach players challenge that. We nearly had to halt Mario vs Peach because we weren't getting anywhere due to that fact.

It should just be down to options and facts. If we could do mindgames without it being a cluster**** of just...random unviable tactics (lolarrowloop. U'd never see it coming!) and speculation, that'd be excellent since mindgames ARE a huge part of the game, especially at high level. We just can't though, that's down to the player.

Browny

Smash Hater
good example of the sonic match posted by emblem lord:
eh i had a big reply written out but stuff it

All ill say is I honestly can not believe that you think that is an example of a good matchup discussion. It hurts to think about it

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This is a massive exaggeration. No offense to him, I think he's really smart when it comes to matchup discussion and whatnot, but Dark P.ch takes personal experience and mindgames into matchup discussion pretty often, and none of the other Peach players challenge that. We nearly had to halt Mario vs Peach because we weren't getting anywhere due to that fact.

It should just be down to options and facts. If we could do mindgames without it being a cluster**** of just...random unviable tactics (lolarrowloop. U'd never see it coming!) and speculation, that'd be excellent since mindgames ARE a huge part of the game, especially at high level. We just can't though, that's down to the player.
I've challenged it before in the past and since I own the match up thread, I decide what goes in and I always always exclude various mindgames and whatnot. I certainly don't take mindgames into account

Regardless of how useful they might be and how nice it is to throw them into discussion to use on the offchance, I certainly don't take them into account. So they aren't included. So it's not really an exaggeration if we're talking about all of us and not a single person. Talking about mindgames is pointless and leads to incredibly irritating and pointless arguements
*coughPikachudiscussioncough*

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
eh i had a big reply written out but stuff it

All ill say is I honestly can not believe that you think that is an example of a good matchup discussion. It hurts to think about it
I want to know how you think it should be done.

Browny

Smash Hater
the way many character boards do it..

have a list of things to watch out for and make a conscious effort to avoid (ie, getting utilted by squirtle at low%, snakes grab on a platform)
Things you should readily abuse (like camping, using mirror shield/cape against recoveries)

Make sure both sides know about all combos and strings so no one gets caught in some silly trap which certain DI will always fix (like G&W dthrow-dsmash on anyone who can tech it)

and a description of what to expect. If i was playing vs a wario, Id like to know just what air camping is and what I can do to combat it instead of getting owned in a match because it supposedly wasnt important enough to consider

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Exactly when was air camping not important enough to consider? When did anybody say that? Did it go something like this?
Emblem Lord said:
Anyway, camping isn't a mindgame. It's a valid strat using the tools available to you to lure your opponent in. Warios incredible aerial prowess allows him to penetrate his opponents zone with ease and draw out attacks.

Browny

Smash Hater
I mean the camping that was missing from that sonic matchup paragraph. Sonic is perfectly capable of camping too by sitting outside peoples range, cancelling approaches and baiting reactions to punish. It helps make a lot of matchups like kirby, zelda and snake to an extent considerably more closer than if you simply run into their attacks all day long

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It doesn't seem absolutely important if both players, running under strategies of camping outside of range and punishing approaches, will do absolutely nothing as a result. One of you two will have to approach eventually, so
Sonic has some neat tricks up his sleeve with his spin dashes, but alot of it is just mindgames and surprise tricks, not reliable strats or methods of gameplay
and hopefully the player is knowledgeable about his own character's approaches.

Top Bottom