• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Doubles Partners Discussion-6/16: Diddy Kong Export Up. ROB Discussion Now!

I actually thought of making this thread awhile ago but thought it would just die. But with the recent rise in activity I guess it's a good time to finally post it :lick:

We'll Be Discussing who Lucario can pair well with in doubles and do viably well in tournament.

And I'll seperate Things into these Catergories:

For Doubles:

As a Lucario:

How does the partner support you? How do you support your teammate?

What tactics or strategies should we employ? (camping, Anubis, etc.) What tactics or strategies should your partner employ?

What are the advantages for Lucario for teaming with the character in question? What are the disadvantages?

What are the overall weaknesses of the given team? What opposing characters would take advantage of these weaknesses? What are the overall strengths of the team, and which teams would these advantages work well against?

What stages should be considered for the team, and which ones should be avoided?

What is the rate of the team's overall effectiveness, and any last tips on how to make it stronger?

Exports:
King DDD

Metaknight

Diddy Kong

If you think of any way to make this thread better/more efficient please let me know.

Thread History: June 8th: created.
07/2/09: DDD export done
02/24/10: iRJi Gains Control of Thread
02/25/10: Metaknight Export
05/12/10: Starturds/Indigo-Jeans gains control of the thread
06/09/10: Diddy Kong partnering discussion is informally underway
06/10/10: Diddy Kong partnering discussion is formally underway
06/16/10: Diddy Kong Export posted, ROB discussion informally underway

hough123

Smash Ace
Hai Flame =3
I'd like to see double Lucarios first.

Also, mods can add posts to your thread for you, all those edit spaces aren't needed ;)

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Hai Flame =3
I'd like to see double Lucarios first.

Also, mods can add posts to your thread for you, all those edit spaces aren't needed ;)
oh. I didn't know that. :<

I myself would like to see Snake/Wario/G&W as those seem to be Lucarios best partners and we can start off a strong discussion.

hough123

Smash Ace
oh. I didn't know that. :<

I myself would like to see Snake/Wario/G&W as those seem to be Lucarios best partners and we can start off a strong discussion.
I don't play doubles, but don't Snake's explosives hurt Lucario along with everybody else.

Also, off topic; I have more posts than you >:^U

culexus・wau

I don't play doubles, but don't Snake's explosives hurt Lucario along with everybody else.

Also, off topic; I have more posts than you >:^U
looooooool.

Snakes kill power, stage control, and weight FAAAAR make up for that xD. He's also decent in 1 v 2. I partner with Rai, trust me on this one :3

Also, off topic; .... but you can't go on the irc nor use AIM :V.....

culexus・wau

Now, heres a thread that will certianly be interesting to follow. Time to prove how well Lucario does in doubles now =D. I normally team with my crew member, zB~ Munk. he mains D3. I have also paired myself with a lot of variables in Double teams and I have to say that out of all of them I think D3 is one of the top partners for lucario. I will most videos later =D

Edit: Mad props on the thread btw =D
The Consensus on wether Lucario does good or bad in doubles is really out there so its high time we find out >:3

DDD seems like a great partner and I do believe his ability to set-up kills is boosted in Doubles is it not? The Ability to stay alive and stock tank is a great thing as well. The Suicide is a nice gimmick too :3

Thanks, but I'm still not sure where to start xD

iRJi

Smash Champion
Well if you want i can give it a shot to explain why Lucario and D3 make a good team. That's totally up to you though.

culexus・wau

Go Ahead. You make some of the most informative posts here. :3 We could start with D3 as well.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I'm gonna say first off that Meta is his best teammate.

you can AS + Nado (it will break a shield every time)

you can combo like beast, and MK will be able to save Lucario so you won't get gimped.

ToonLink and Lucario (or as I call it ToonCario XD) is also a really good team

really good projectile synergy (you can combo off each others projectiles, its super easy)
the spacing of the projectiles compliments each other (TL can 'rang high, while Lucario AS on ground, and vice versa, as well as arrows and bomb combos)

grab game is good with nair combos, and great edgeguarding (TL can go super far out and Zair the edge, Lucario can grab them on the stage and reset edgeguarding situation)
also you can force the airdodge into a kill move super easy

Lucario can be really aggro while TL sits back and stock tanks while still comboing from far

Matchups aren't really a problem with all that projectile spam its hard for most characters to even touch you they are too busy getting ***** hah ahaha

culexus・wau

I'm gonna say first off that Meta is his best teammate.

you can AS + Nado (it will break a shield every time)

you can combo like beast, and MK will be able to save Lucario so you won't get gimped.

ToonLink and Lucario (or as I call it ToonCario XD) is also a really good team

really good projectile synergy (you can combo off each others projectiles, its super easy)
the spacing of the projectiles compliments each other (TL can 'rang high, while Lucario AS on ground, and vice versa, as well as arrows and bomb combos)

grab game is good with nair combos, and great edgeguarding (TL can go super far out and Zair the edge, Lucario can grab them on the stage and reset edgeguarding situation)
also you can force the airdodge into a kill move super easy

Lucario can be really aggro while TL sits back and stock tanks while still comboing from far

Matchups aren't really a problem with all that projectile spam its hard for most characters to even touch you they are too busy getting ***** hah ahaha

Metaknight is a good partner with like, anyone lol.

ToonCario seems pretty **** from what you say :o it seems like they'd have problems killing though <.<

iRJi

Smash Champion
Go Ahead. You make some of the most informative posts here. :3 We could start with D3 as well.
Ok, ill get on it. If i dont have a post by tonight, then tomorrow i will give my opinion about the team =]

Popertop

Smash Champion
not as bad as you'd think.

you get lots of kills from just forcing them off the edge

and getting them off the edge means early AS and Bair kills from Luc
and early Fair/Uair kills from TL

and toon link stock tanking helps keep Lucario at full power.

you can force the roll to get the TL Usmash and LUcario Fsmash

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Snake is definitely one of Lucario's best team partners. Lucario gets super strong 'cause Snake lives like forever, so you will both be killing and camping machines pretty much.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
D3 and lucario can camp together pretty well. Luc ducks. D3 throws the waddles. when opponent attacks waddles he gets aura sphered lol.

iRJi

Smash Champion
D3 and lucario can camp together pretty well. Luc ducks. D3 throws the waddles. when opponent attacks waddles he gets aura sphered lol.
Lol. Double teams is a very aggressive section of competitive play in brawl. Playing campy lets your opponent set up on you. Just saying, You post is still Lol. Imagin unified team work

D3 to lucario "I got you, Duck"

*D3 throws waddle*

D3: "Got you not *****"

XD!

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
D3 works well with a couple of people, but with Lucario, he seems to work average.
Getting hit with Waddle Dee's and the like with Luca doesn't seem too likely, many of his aerials will just swat them away.
And D3 can survive like no other, with correct DI, so he can stock tank well, can take a hit from a careless Luca, and D3 can grab him out of a barrage from the other team, to do minimal damage as well, but, not too much else.

1. Most of D3's attacks benefit him, not a team mate, dthrow chain grabs can work out good if the Luca can react quick enough, but that's about it, and that scenario obviously works on one person.

2. Trying to save a Luca who cannot recover is hard, as most of D3's aerials will kill him, deal an un nessicary amount of percent to him, or not do much of an impact besides another up b.

3. With D3, it's fun and kind of practical to inhale your team mate and use them as a projectile, but with Luca, not much to do out of it, besides maybe some fairs or nairs.

4. None of Luca's moves really set up for D3's, except maybe like a fair to a D3 doing a falling dair.

Oh man wait till we start discussing Game and Watch, arguably Luca's best dubs partner.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
i dont know who you are starting with, but i can tell you from personal experience that Wario works very well with Lucario

Rayku

Smash Lord
My "perma-teammate" ZOM~B and I seem to do very well in teams. He plays ROB.

ROB-Lucario vs. Metaknight-anyone is really hard, though. ROB has a very very hard time fighting Metaknight alone in a teams match.

culexus・wau

The People I want to get done ASAP are really: DDD, Wario, Snake, Metaknight, and G&W since all of them are confirmed to be really good in doubles and I believe they cover Lucario's doubles weaknesses the best while at the same time complimenting his strengths really well.

from there on we can go just try some random people :p

EDIT: Popertop got me interested in TL-Lucario :<

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The problem with these topics are that they're VERY dependant on theory craft as it's hard to find a variety of teammates and it's ALSO dependent on the other team. There's SOOO many combinations it becomes hard to discuss anything at length. With that said these topics are always fun. ^_^

iRJi

Smash Champion
The problem with these topics are that they're VERY dependant on theory craft as it's hard to find a variety of teammates and it's ALSO dependent on the other team. There's SOOO many combinations it becomes hard to discuss anything at length. With that said these topics are always fun. ^_^
That my friend, is false in a way. There are a lot of combination's, so many that it might not be able to cover them all. That you are right about. BUT you can still determine what character would be a good support for Lucario in doubles and who would not be. Remember and keep in mind this is not a match up thread for doubles, this is just to determine the basics for who can support him, and who he can support.

Calling it theory crafting is also something that is misused in a way. The term is thrown around loosely and it should be used in a proper manner. Stating facts about what is going to happen, what a character can DO is different from stating what a character MIGHT be able to do. Something that runs the line of theory craft is the MK needs to be banned thread. Talking about what he is capable of is one thing, but actually banning him for a period of time and seeing what might happen when he is gone is another (which in my opinion should have happened in the first place)

Edit: Btw, not knocking you or anything. Far from it actually. Just stating this because it needed to be stated not just to you, but to everyone. You actually caught us while we are revamping our whole board. This is a time for testing and contribution =D

iRJi

Smash Champion
Just sayin' lol. Not saying they're BAD threads.
Ya I know, that's why I said I am not knockin you about it. I was just clearing up the definition of Theory Crafting for everyone who might be reading it. You are always welcome to help us discuss anything that comes up, as long as you are respectful to everyone ^_^

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Get back at me when we do Game and Watch.
I threw my input in about D3.
I'd say he does average overall with Luca, doesn't really cover any of his weaknesses amazingly, but isn't bad really.
He's got better partners.
D3 works well with Fox on the other hand, but that's a dif thread COMPLETELY.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Wow. I kinda hate you all now.

The Past:
-Joker talks about doubles
-Everyone says Lucario sucks in doubles and it's stupid to discuss
-Joker talks about Double Team
-Everyone says Double Team should never be used; it sucks
-Joker makes a social thread (okay, well it was technically just a thread for being off-topic, but)
-It gets closed

Now:
-Doubles thread created
-Double Team's usefulness being discussed
-Social thread made

So, if you think about it, I was ahead of my time, already thinking of ways to make Lucario better, and now you guys are trying to make him better. I win. I'm faster than you all.

But, with Pikachu, as an example, we can help him to QAC faster with Aura Sphere.

We should generally just be a stock tank. Let our teammate do the heavy lifting, then once able to kill, help out a bit more.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I think as far as teams go Lucario could actually fill the same role that Pika or Sonic do. Annoy the **** out of them. With your sick roll and BAS you can pepper enemies and dodge around your target and your Fsmash is ridic. Just to throw them off. At high percents obv. switch to a more aggro position and have your teammate run annoyance if possible. Unfortunately I'm just hypothesizing so...yeah....

Oh and iRJi I used to hang around these boards quite a bit but the social thread got closed and I TRIED to help out but I can't use Lucario for crap so I kinda....fell out of communication save for some visits to the chat here and there.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Get off your god**** high horse, Joker. Seriously. You're a perfect example of the idiocy that caused me to stop taking these boards seriously before. Making half a dozen of your useless threads in a day was not being helpful, nor was your *****ing at people for telling you to quit being such an eyesore.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Get off your god**** high horse, Joker. Seriously. You're a perfect example of the idiocy that caused me to stop taking these boards seriously before. Making half a dozen of your useless threads in a day was not being helpful, nor was your *****ing at people for telling you to quit being such an eyesore.
It was a joke...?

Anyways, back on topic, meesh.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Isnt helping anyone.
THERE'S SOMETHING CALLED AN APOSTROPHE USE THE **** THING GOD I'M SICK OF ALL YOU! lol
<3 dude

This reminds me of Gulliver's travels. The people who went to war over which side you should eat a boiled egg from first? Yeah. That's the Luccy boards lol.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm not snapping at him. It was just a joke, seriously.

I win. I'm faster than you all.
Does this not sound like a joke? I'm going to edit my second post, and you remove the quote iRJi. Just because. I feel I shouldn't respond to attacks like that. No offense Stauffy.

Um, Lucario is also good with people who can absorb his Aura Sphere. Especially with lower stocks, Lucario can generally be not only a stock tank, but a life tank period. Or a power supply. Since at full power his Aura Sphere can be absorbed by PK Magnet, and he has his FP Flame, the more damage Lucario gets is the better he is helping. Especially since people don't want to get in front of projectiles that are too powerful. People like G&W... Lucario serves as a power supply, able to allow instant kills with G&Ws bucket, and even take a Kirby out of Stone should they decide to use it at all. Lucario should attempt to defend people like Ness, Lucas, or G&W because it helps, being as your focus is the teammate and theirs is the kill.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Nah. YOU'RE TOO SLOW lol

Now come on. From what I've gathered you need the activity. lol Now ONTO THE TOPIC AT HAND *cough cough*

♪Don't go starting....waterfalls......♪ or...something....

Top Bottom