• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name entry glitch: Masterhand without AR!

REVOLUTION324

Smash Rookie
It´s possible to play master hand,with this "name entry glitch"
First I couldn´d believe it,but it´s true:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yuq9d_MEho

Here the guide,sry for my bad english,hope you can understand it.

Name entry glitch

Discoverer:Exchord92

Date:Exchord92 found it out on 29th november 2008

Idea:The idea is,to go simultaneous back from the character selection and to the name entry.

Methods:They are 2 methods at the moment,one for a single controller,and one for 2 or more

1.Method:This one works in every mode,expect tournament,and you need one controller.
How2do:Your courser is over the name field in the character selection screen.Now press the A and B button at the same tinme,and you come to the name selction.Hold the B button,but release the A button,then go down with the courser till you are over the"name entry field".Then press the A button at the right time.If you did it right,the game should want to go back to the menu,because you hold the B button,but it wants go to the name entry screen,too,because you press the A button over "name entry".And then game should either go to the stage selction screen,or to the match,depending you either are in melee or single player mode.

2.Method:This is much easier than the 1st method,but you need 2 controller,and it only works in melee mode.
How2do:One player´s courser is over the "back" field over the character selection,the other is on the "name entry"field.Now they press A at the same time,and it works.

Current techniques,you can do with this glitch:

Playing master hand:You do the glitch as usual.Every player,who didn´d selected a character or thouched the character selection field plays master hand now.Only works for HMN.You can control master hand,by holding a direction on the directional pad and pressing A,B,R,L or Z,but only with the controler in port 3.

Black painted character:In melee mode:you mustn´t play on stocks,do time,bonus or coin melee and a team match.Now player 1-4 have to use the same character and must be in the same team.Use the glitch,and the 4th player has an black painted character.

0 seconds melee:Go to melee mode with stocks and play with only one player,although you don´t have an opponent.Now use the glitch,and the melee will end after 0s,the announcer will only say "GO"and then the fight directly ends.

Every technique was developed by Exchord92.
It´s probable,that you can do even more techniques with it.

New techniquis:

Playing alone,discovered by me:Do the same things like in "0 seconds melee"but in a time,bonus or coin match.

Videos,links,other information:

This is the original post from Exchord92:
http://www.spieletipps.de/cp_35611_0/

Playing master hand,performed by myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yuq9d_MEho

The "black character" glitch,performed by pamaro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIF9I5qBTDM

The "0 seconds melee" glitch,performed by myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPuyI9dLUsk

Every technique of the glitch,performed by Velox:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF3zRO3_ph8

Laser glitch with 3 master hands,performed by myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mx0WfbuvGI&feature=channel_page

Moves of masterhand,by Vulcan55:
D-UP + B = Laser beams
D-RIGHT + B = Gun
D-UP + A = Rocket Ship
D-RIGHT + A = Shieldbreaker Punch
D-DOWN + A = Smack
D-RIGHT/UP + Z = Grab
D-UP + R = Drill
D-LEFT + R = Poke
D-RIGHT + R = Charged Punch
D-DOWN + R = Charged Slap
D-UP + L = Swat Away
D-DOWN + L = Finger Walk
D-RIGHT + L = Cross-stage Slap

Informations about MH from Amazing Ampharos
Master Hand is never put in your top 5 rankings even if he would qualify otherwise. I got him so he would be top 5 in damage taken and lost coins, and the game didn't care.

If multiple buttons are held before performing a move, this is the order of priority:

L > R > A > B > Z

Master Hand has no alternate colors ever. No matter if there's more than one of him or if he's on a team, he's always the exact same white glove.

Master Hand occasionally does a quick grab while idling. This is just an idle animation and is not an attack (think like how Peach stretches sometimes).

For the completely unaware, Master Hand cannot move other than while doing an attack which follows a preset targeting algorithm. If you don't attack, he just hovers on the right side of the stage.

Whether he performs a single shot or a triple shot with his gun move (B + dpad right) depends on the damage he has taken. I am pretty sure the cut-off point is taking 150% or more damage (not sure how 150% exactly behaves). The gun shot can be absorbed and reflected, unlike all of his other moves.

Master Hand can have a nametag if you select one before performing the name glitch. It is kinda out in space during his intro animation though, kinda odd.

You can move freely during his intro animation with the other players and fight other characters. Moving stages continue to move as well, which is extremely broken on Icicle Mountain. If you pause during this animation, however, the camera will be normal after you unpause even as the animation finishes.

His laser move has extremely poorly behaved hitboxes on stages other than Final Destination. Frequently, the other players simply pass right through them. On the plus side, they cannot be absorbed or reflected.

Always being in the air, he is unaffected by Jigglypuff's Sing and damaged by Mewtwo's Disable. He's obviously immune to all grab style moves.

He can be pushed back by the wind on Dreamland and Green Greens, but he'll simply teleport back to his normal position a bit later. Otherwise, no stage features, including solid ground, affect his movement. He automatically keeps up with moving stages. Yes, he has a reflection on Fountain of Dreams and seems to be flattened by Flat Zone (kinda hard to tell). The monitor on Pokemon Stadium reports his name as "Masterhand".

His drill (R + dpad up) and Charged Punch (R + dpad right) will always target the same spot on the left side of the stage on many stages (or varies a bit over a very small area like on FoD or Pokemon Stadium) and the lowest controller port surviving player (as in player 1) otherwise. His poke (R + dpad left) and grab (Z + dpad up or dpad right) will target the lowest controller port surviving player (as in player 1). I'm not sure if players being his teammates changes his targeting algorithms. The drill and charged punch target correctly (variable over a big area) on the following stages:

Battlefield, Final Destination, Jungle Japes (can only hit on main platform), Yoshi's Story (doesn't really aim very well, moves while doing drill very awesome), Yoshi's Island (Melee, targets over a very wide area), Venom (targets left side only), Mute City (over the moving platform's general area), Mushroom Kingdom I (only targets the part of the stage left of the leftmost pit), Mushroom Kingdom II (it's like Yoshi's Story with a million times suckier targeting, almost never hits)

Master Hand is unaffected by stale move damage decay.

On a few stages, he rests inside of the stage or otherwise in a really inaccessible position. These stages are Princess Peach's Castle in which he's inside the castle and Corneria in which he's ridiculously low. In both cases, he can still come up with some of his attacks.

In terms of being effective, his best stage is probably Mute City, and he's very bad on Brinstar Depths, Big Blue, and Temple (among other stages).

If anyone has good pictures of the stages, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate on each his position by default and where his various moves hit.

I'm using him on a NTSC 1.0, and I've simply never seen the game lock with him other than when winning a match (I must have loaded about 50 matches with him). Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe this version is more crashproof than later versions.

I want to repeat that no additional rules are needed for him to be used competitively other than something about how a ditto doesn't work. He can just lose to time, and if the other player is good at all, he always will.
Icicle Mountain is probably his best stage (too bad for him it's banned everywhere) since his intro animation makes it hard to avoid an early death and the blast zones are generally small and the movement might force people into his attacks. On Rainbow Cruise, he hangs out on the back of the ship, and he has the disadvantage that his drill etc. all target some place way off the left side of the screen (he does this on Poke Floats and Corneria too, note I haven't tested if he ever gets changed behavior throughout the duration of a moving stage though I strongly suspect the answer is "no"). Going off the side of the stage in general isn't a problem for him; he can't die and doesn't take off-screen damage.

I have done some experimenting with 1p modes...

He works in HRC but is super bad. His entry animation takes more than half of your time, and he has no real effective way to hit Sandbag to the right. I haven't explored it thoroughly yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were impossible for him to get a score at all.

He works in multi-man melee, but he can't get a record (it just says "complete" when you beat it with him). His drill move is really, really good in this mode. I was able to use him to unlock Falco; presumably he should be able to unlock DK64 as well (far and away the easiest method for that actually).

If you try this trick on Break the Targets, his intro laugh will play while still on the character select screen and then the game is frozen. It's hilarious.

He works fine in event mode in general (tested with All-Star Match 1), but timed events are tricky since he's so bad other than the not dying thing. Retrying an event with Z does cause his intro animation to repeat. He is capable of scoring records in this mode. The Goomba trophy stage works fine with him, and he can actually target the drill etc. over most of the stage. Likewise, the Entei stage is well behaved and lets him target a wide area with the drill. The Majora's Mask stage is well behaved too, but the drill and friends don't work well here and generally refuse to target anywhere but the left part of the stage. You do have a percent meter when fighting against Master Hand and Crazy Hand in event 50, and if it's possible to do team attack with Crazy Hand I sure can't figure out how (I suspect you have to be on the same team as him to do that though). As an aside, this would be a really easy way to earn the notice for finishing event 51 without any falls if you haven't yet.

Adventure mode is a bad idea. The game loads the first stage with you inside a large rock formation, and the game locked on me when I tried to do his punch the ground move (presumably for want of a target). Even if you avoid locking the game, there's no way you'll ever clear the first stage. Running out of time in this mode is the only way you can ever lose a stock with him though (other than share stock in teams!). I haven't managed to lose my last stock and see what happens since unfortunate items like to spawn on top of me and lock the game; it's not worth spending this much time just to see the game lock because there's no trophy for it to show (though that really is just me guessing at behavior).

The first match of All Star mode works though he has no one to target in the lobby so his moves lock the game, and he has no way of making it into the portal.

Classic locks up for me right away. I doubt it can work at all, and even if you manged to get it to start, there are obviously a lot of things that would prevent you from finishing it.

In short, Event mode and Multiman Melee are both generally worth it. HRC is technically playable but a waste of time. Don't even bother with anything else; it's not completable.

Also, about items, I notice that you're generally not able to use them but can interact with certain transforming items. The metal box and starman both work fine and as expected, but mushrooms seem to like to lock the game (once it didn't though).

About Princess Peach's Castle, a nifty trick on it is to use the grab move. He'll pull his opponent inside the stage and then throw them to instant death. No human would ever fall for it seeing as the grab is one of his easiest to avoid attacks, but it sure makes beating the AI on that stage a lot easier (important skill if you want to do event mode with him). I haven't tested it explicitly, but I bet it works on Corneria too.

Grunt

Smash Master
holy ***** it works.
>.>
lol you can use any character slot for the glitch, but only port 3 controls him.
He's my secondary.
NEALDT!
make a master hand character option on Aib plox
olololol

REVOLUTION324

Smash Rookie
It works in singleplayer mode,too,and you can do more things with it.I will explain these things later in a guide

Tham

Smash Apprentice
it really works ... WTF
my proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uw3AesGV-w&fmt=18

will melee ban chars xD? just jking, its a glitch, must be banned at tourneys ...

you can not really controll the Masterhand, u just can do the attacks

u can attack with Masterhand when you do:
R+any direction on the Directional-Pad
L+any direction on the Directional-Pad
A+any direction on the Directional-Pad
B+any direction on the Directional-Pad
Z+any direction on the Directional-Pad

Edit: Masterhand is after the fight Sheik

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I followed your steps but when i choose a stage it takes really long for it to load.

is it supposed to do that?

edit: ok nvm i figured it out

Tham

Smash Apprentice
my gamecube froze every 2nd time i tried it - it didn't matters if u change time limit or not

I followed your steps but when i choose a stage it takes really long for it to load.

is it supposed to do that?
think the game is frozen^^

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Moves:

D-UP + B = Laser beams
D-RIGHT + B = Gun
D-UP + A = Rocket Ship
D-RIGHT + A = Shieldbreaker Punch
D-DOWN + A = Smack
D-RIGHT/UP + Z = Grab
D-UP + R = Drill
D-LEFT + R = Poke
D-RIGHT + R = Charged Punch
D-DOWN + R = Charged Slap
D-UP + L = Swat Away
D-DOWN + L = Finger Walk
D-RIGHT + L = Cross-stage Slap

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Holy crap. I thought about having this closed as a sick joke but LOL TOO GOOD.

Time to order my tickets to Genesis to go win with master hand!

___

-edit-

Aw, you cant really "legally" use him on corneria, since he's never on screen so he's technically stalling the whole time. :(

-double edit-
the game also freezes when master hand wins cause he has no win screen (which he MUST win a stock match since he cant die off the sides) :(

it's not fun anymore.

REVOLUTION324

Smash Rookie
I wrote a guide for the glitch,hope you can understand it,because my english is still very bad^^

Discoverer:Exchord92

Idea:The idea is,to go simultaneous back from the character selection and to the name entry.

Methods:They are 2 methods at the moment,one for a single controller,and one for 2 or more

1.Method:This one works in every mode,expect tournament,and you need one controller.
How2do:Your courser is over the name field in the character selection screen.Now press the A and B button at the same tinme,and you come to the name selction.Hold the B button,but release the A button,then go down with the courser till you are over the"name entry field".Then press the A button at the right time.If you did it right,the game should want to go back to the menu,because you hold the B button,but it wants go to the name entry screen,too,because you press the A button over "name entry".And then game shlould either go to the stage selction screen,or to the match,depending you either are in melee or single player mode.

2.Method:This is much easier then the 1.method,but you need 2 controller,and it only works in melee mode.
How2do:One player´s courser is over the "back" field over the character selection,the other is on the "name entry"field.Now they press A at the same time,and it works.

Current techniques,you can do with this glitch:

Playing master hand:You do the glitch as usual.Every player,who didn´d selected a character or thouched the character selection field plays master hand now.Only works for HMN.

Black painted character:In melee mode:you mustn´t play on stocks,do an team melee.Now player 1-4 have to use the same character and must be in the same team.Use the glitch,and the 4th player has an black painted character.

0 second melee:go to melee mode,and play with only one player,although you don´t have an opponent.Now use the glitch,and the melee will end after 0s,the announcer will only say "GO"and then the fight directly ends.

Every technique was developed by Exchord92.
It´s probable,that you can do even more techniques with it.

Overload

Smash Lord
If you prematurely end the match, it will say no contest as usual, but it will show the name Sheik for master hand and it will not display a character.

Pamaro

Smash Cadet
you can get more than 1 master hand, but they are on the same spot. and you dont need another char.
do some attacks and they´ll confirm it. lasers and D-UP + A are sexy 2 with or more hands^^
I got the hands desynch, its better than the ice climbers :p

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh my god. OH MY GOD. How was this only found out now? Jesus christ.

*brb going to do it.*

Overload

Smash Lord
You guys think this is an easter egg?
Think about it. The cursor to select your character is a hand, you go to name entry with that hand, you are entering that hand as a new name entry? I have no clue, but it seems like it could be a clever easter egg.

Pamaro

Smash Cadet
go to event 50
play as master hand and hold "D - UP + Y"
as soon as crazy hand is ready(could take some time), you and Crazy Hand will perform some teamactions.
you can use your Gamertag to see who you are.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Just tried this on Yoshi's.

Moves that hit the ground, such as the ground slap, do not chase the character.

Instead they follow the path of Randall.

SO WEIRD.

DeletedGod

Smash Cadet
I find it hilarious that the game thinks it's shiek, proves she is broken after all I guess.

REVOLUTION324

Smash Rookie
New tournament modes,like "master hand vs normal character" oder "double master hand vs double normal character" xD

Top Bottom