• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with your POWER!!! #1 (RESULTS ARE UP!)

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Sup kids. So I'm finally making the drawing contest that's been kinda thrown around. Each contest will have it's own theme that someone chooses, and you have to draw that theme.

Art With Your Power

the current drawing prompt is....
Create a scene from everyday life

Any medium is allowed. Contest is over on July 7th at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time!

Judging
Each entry will be judged according to four guidelines, and each of these will be worth five points(meaning each piece will be eligible for a total of 60 points; 20 from each judge):

Adherence to prompt: Self explanatory. It just needs to relate to the topic in some way. I see this as an easy 5 points.

Skill: Another self explanatory one. Don't worry if your art skills aren't top of the rung. This is only one category and let's remember the basis of this contest is fun and improvement :)

Ingenuity/Style: How clever were you with your piece while sticking to the theme? Also, is your style refreshing? Did you use your medium in an unconventional way?

Aesthetics : Is your piece pleasing to look at? How is its composition? Colors work nicely together? Does it draw the viewer in?

The three judges will be: Livvers. Virgilijus. ThunderMistress. The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method devolped by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will ever be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judge's comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.

Prizes

Of course, this being the most awesome section of the boards, there will be prizes. Yay! Also, they may change (only for the better, I swear) once we learn more of what we can actually do for you guys. But for now they are:

THIRD PLACE:

You'll get to tout an orange name and have a paintbrush icon along with your other icons.

SECOND PLACE:
You'll get the orange name, the paint brush, AND a custom title.

FIRST PLACE:

You'll receive an orange name, the paint brush, and a NEWW CAAAHR. Not really, but you will get to pick out the prompt and be a judge on the next AWYP :)

How to enter:

Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works.

Virg edit:
DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules. You will also be banned from future AWYPs and have the stigma of a cheater all over you. We've had people cheat before in other contests and I can assure you, for the 30 seconds it took them to cheat they absolutely regret it. If you are drawing, tracing is also not allowed and will be up to the judges discretion to claim.

Deadly Turnip Corollary: All entries must be completely new pieces of art. Even if you are the artist, if it is found that your work was posted online or in another forum before submitting it in this contest you will be disqualified.

Also, NO JOKE ENTRIES. This doesn't mean your entry can't be funny, but I won't tolerate an image you threw together in MS Paint for lulz and attention. You will be warned the first time it happens, and then banned from the AE if I see it again. You will no longer be able to submit real entries to any future contests. This is a serious competition to promote practicing your art and improving. Also, one official entry per entrant. If you have several pieces and don't know which to choose, you can post several and get other people's opinions on which you want to enter, but only one will be entered (we can comment on the others, but it won't affect the contest).

Now, the main purpose of this contest isn't to win: it's to draw and paint and sculpt and to have fun while doing it. If it becomes too much of a chore or things start piling up on you, don't worry about it. There will always be another contest :)

So go ahead and start drawing! And don't forget to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Whoa! This is really cool, I didn't expect something like this happening for the AE. The prizes are something to really motivate people, I can't wait to see submissions and the winners.

Hm, I might try to make something, just for fun of course.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Well lookie here! Looks like we got ourselves another fine arts contest!

Livvers and I have been bouncing around this idea for a while and finally settled on how we would go about it. Hopefully you guys read all the rules (read: ALL THE RULES) and decide to enter. I've held around 10 WWYP's and I have to tell you guys, it's a lot of fun. Not just entering, but the unveiling of other people's art and the suspense of who is going to place. Good stuff.

I fully endorse it! :)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Man, I'm glad this popped up. Even after the AE split, it seemed like all of the activity was still in the Sig Shoppe...

This will be good. I bet this will attract some new artists out there. Can't wait to get started on my entry!

Mit

Smash Ace
I don't know, I'm a bit more attracted to fanart of Brawl characters, and I only have time to do one of these contests D: Think I'm gonna have to stick with Draw With Your Power.

Spire

III
BRoomer
YES! I've been wanting this since I first heard of WWYP ages and ages ago. Zook's DWYP was great, but now that we have an official contest... Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I'm excited.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Can I make a collage containing pictures I didn't take?
I would say no. As much as the formatting of the collage is original, parts of the whole are not. Not to speak for the other judges, but I'm looking for something completely manifested and created by you. Not to say true art needs to be that, but this contest is :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would say no. As much as the formatting of the collage is original, parts of the whole are not. Not to speak for the other judges, but I'm looking for something completely manifested and created by you. Not to say true art needs to be that, but this contest is :)
Not even if the images are torn, cut, and distorted as such to simply be used as sources of color and texture? I can completely understand if he were to simply align them at right angles, merely composing an image of photographs, but what if he used the photographs as "found objects"? If you still debunked that, then you would furthermore have to restrict the use of found objects for sculpture. And what about all forms of mixed media? Most mixed media involves the use of found objects, not those crafted by the artist themselves. That a) can take strenuous amounts of unnecessary time, and b) defeat the purpose that the artist pursues.

But of course, that brings up the question, "is it lazy art, or thought-out art?" Because someone could spend hours planning a piece out that upon being completed, might look like the artist was simply being lazy.

I guess ultimately, the best way to control this problem really is to require two (I suggest four) work-in-progress photographs, to not only reveal the legitimacy behind the work, but to also show the actual work, in-progress. I'm one who's interested in seeing a piece early on in development, and I'm sure I'm not alone. This would round out the images per entry to a strong five (yeah three, triforce, awesome, but for more proof...).

ALSO, my own question: can we take an original photograph of an "every day scene" to use as reference material for the piece? And if so, would you require us to show the photograph? Because while I know I would be able to construct an imaginative "real life" image, I feel that working from an actual picture would prove very helpful in capturing the proper lighting, color, texture, and depth in such mundane objects and scenery that we tend to take for granted and never really focus on. For instance, I'd hate to try and paint a bus stop from my imagination, rather than taking a picture of one and painting from that. The art piece would still be entirely original.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It says in the OP that you must provide two work-in-progress pictures. But I'm also curious to find out the answer to this because I love collage.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I see no qualms in working from an actual picture you took. Also, the reason I would not like to incorporate other people's pictures in the contest is because in my mind it lessens the personal touch you have on it, which is what I am going for. Taking Warhol's pictures of Marilyn Monroe and changing the hue on them, while evoking your own personality, is still within the realm of others work and inspiration. However, if you see a wonderful painting or picture of sculpture and want to create something in the "form of _____", that's fine. Inspiration comes from everywhere, but I want to see it used in your mind and creativity, not in the physical objects you borrow.

That and Hyperspace isn't a real place in Texas! :mad088:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I see no qualms in working from an actual picture you took. Also, the reason I would not like to incorporate other people's pictures in the contest is because in my mind it lessens the personal touch you have on it, which is what I am going for. Taking Warhol's pictures of Marilyn Monroe and changing the hue on them, while evoking your own personality, is still within the realm of others work and inspiration. However, if you see a wonderful painting or picture of sculpture and want to create something in the "form of _____", that's fine. Inspiration comes from everywhere, but I want to see it used in your mind and creativity, not in the physical objects you borrow.

That and Hyperspace isn't a real place in Texas! :mad088:
I totally respect that mang. Great guidelines.

Come down to Texas and maybe you'll jump the Kessel Run, Virg! :080:

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I would accept collages from pictures you didn't take if they were used in a very interesting manner and the piece had good meaning. That can be tough. I would also be more judgmental toward it.

I feel that working from an actual picture would prove very helpful in capturing the proper lighting, color, texture, and depth in such mundane objects and scenery that we tend to take for granted and never really focus on. For instance, I'd hate to try and paint a bus stop from my imagination, rather than taking a picture of one and painting from that. The art piece would still be entirely original.
Since Virg answered your real question, I'm going to give you advice: It is always better to draw from real life than to draw from a picture. It's more difficult, yes, but the traits you listed (proper lighting, color, texture, and depth) are all captured so much better. Your drawing is more likely to come out "flat" if it was copied from a picture =)

Also, I guess for photography it's hard to show WIP pictures. I did not think of that, lol. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field).

matt4300

Smash Ace
Oh, ho, sounds fun... I would say I don't have time... but I'm sure I won't always be busy.

and YAY spire! gonna try and OWN ya! create a more competitive mood people!!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Since Virg answered your real question, I'm going to give you advice: It is always better to draw from real life than to draw from a picture. It's more difficult, yes, but the traits you listed (proper lighting, color, texture, and depth) are all captured so much better. Your drawing is more likely to come out "flat" if it was copied from a picture =)
No no, I learned this a long time ago. However, I will be using paint as my medium of choice, and given the fact that it's about 100 degrees here every day, painting outside (which would be my preference for the prompt) wouldn't really work out all that well. I genuinely hate drawing from photographs, but given my conditions, it might be my only choice, unless of course, I paint inside. I'll figure something out.
Oh, ho, sounds fun... I would say I don't have time... but I'm sure I won't always be busy.

and YAY spire! gonna try and OWN ya! create a more competitive mood people!!
Oh ho ho, matt4300. My favorite adversary!

Matt

Banned via Administration
Hey matt4300 were there really 4299 other Matts??

Actually, there probably were.

Hey guys, I like this contest. I might enter, but I promise not to use all of my power, to be fair.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Would this picture fit the theme of a scene from everyday life? It's bad quality, but I'm pretty sure it fits the theme.

[IMAGE]

This won't be taken as a complete joke, right?
This is a complete joke, right?

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Whilst I enjoy writing, this competition is right down my street.
Ah, I think I'll have to get the ol' fisticuffs out and submit something.

Tally ho!

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I think I might have to do this.

Post my art in this thread or make a new thread? (sorry if that was answered)

I'm sorry if this has already been somehow been answered, but, can we get a photo from the Internet, then use it as a reference for a painting or pencil? Like say we get a photo of a little girl and a cat or something, and we paint a girl and a cat?

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
To what extent will you be referencing? I think it'd be poor to straight copy someone else's photo, but to use it as references for poses, etc would be fine. It is also polite to link back to the photo.

Oh, OK, I see. Thank you. And one more thing: Will a painting of a landscape or scenery count as everyday?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
seems like a fun idea. ill try it out.

a question though, is skilled measured as how realistic a picture is? Some artist are very skilled but not in a realistic way if that makes semse.
XD

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Skill is funny in that regards. Having been around art so long, you kind of develop an appreciation for skill, whether it be realistic or not. Even in Picasso's more abstract pieces, you can see a a talent beneath it all.

Basically, if you are trying to do something realistic (and we can tell) we'll judge skill based off the realism. if you aren't going for realism, we can look at composition or shading technique or form...many different ways.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh cool this is up.

Everyday life? Hmm. I'm on it.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I guess it doesn't. Though it would be kind of cheap to say "This is the everyday life of *insert something super rare and exciting*" because then you could literally draw/paint anything you want. It's a fine line and if you think you're crossing the border it would be best to ask for our approval on the topic first :)

Kandoken

Smash Cadet
Thanks alot Virgilijus for following up for me, I probably would've let this thing just fly by. I'm in!

Top Bottom