• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Telestep Cancelling

perfectedidiot2

Smash Cadet
Thank's to the guys on the Wolf Social for their help

Okay I'm new at this so bear with me

Telestepping:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164483

BSL Lag:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235394

Ok we know that telestepping suffers from BSL lag so that your usually vulnerable after using it. However, through the use of hacks I've been able to experiment with telestepping in frame by frame and found an interesting frame as seen in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff4yKbpgyJk

I like to refer to this as the hanging frame just cause of the way Wolf looks Anyways during the hanging frame wolf is considered to be airborne and as of such has all the options of an airborne character, double jump, b move, air attack etc. However, the window for a command input is very narrow as far as my testing shows it lasts only 1 frame and I can't seem to buffer it, so you need to be lightning fast.

So why use this? Well it offers Wolf a variety of new ledge options ranging from shine to fair to another side b, it keeps your opponent guessing. Another reason is to bypass BSL lag, though note that telestep cancelling does NOT zero lag it simply replaces the BSL lag with the lag of another action. There's still more to explore about this tech so many possibilities are still open.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Good stuff, PI. Much appreciated :)

Sucks that we can't buffer it though :( this basically confirms that telestepping should be the last thing anyone works on with wolf because of difficulty lol.

:059:

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Do any of Wolf's aerials (no DJ) work with this? I've only been able to get Fair to land on the stage. Uair, Nair, and Bair seem to push me off. Note that I do not have frame by frame testing software.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Kool stuff dude. I've done this before randomly like the tele-step side b thingy but didn't think much of it. I guess I should maybe practice this to add to the stuff I can do from the ledge.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
I was trying to get the move's landing lag so I could hopefully shield immediately (or at least earlier than BSL lets me) after a telestep. In particular, Nair/Bair/Uair seem to have less landing lag, so any of those.

perfectedidiot2

Smash Cadet
Well to my experience you can't go directly from the hanging frame to a footstool, instead you have to dj first then footstool, from the hanging frame it takes 3 frames minimum to do a footstool

From the hanging frame
frame 1: cancel to dj
frame 2: release jump button
frame 3: footstool

Note that the target must be on the edge of the stage for the footstool to be in range.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
KRD, the last thing in your video was lightstepping. Basically, telestepping off the stage. It's a bit easier to get from a distance. Dair seems to be the best thing you got... If timed well you can probably hit characters like Ike from above the platform with it as well.

What would be the purpose of a grounded footstool, besides getting away safely?

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
After testing this for about an hour, its not that useful, I mean its unexpected at times but it can be inconsistent unless you get the muscle memory down (I got the MM down in the small time I practiced) and even when you get the muscle memory down a slip up can leave you open on the ledge. I find lightstepping easier and you can use it the same way if you buffer a jump > XXX(But the Telestep Canceling give you a bit more forward momentum)

It works but not that important to constantly use, but fun non-the-less to use and it can be an unexpected from the ledge move.

At least we are being productive and starting to discover and invent new techs =p

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Actually, it's not all that hard to do consistently. I get the cancel about 70% of the time now, and I canceled it into a footstool against someone which provided a safe way to get back to the stage after I was on the ledge. Yeah it's not one of those ATs that you use constantly, but rather once every 1-2 matches or so to give yourself a better position.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Actually, it's not all that hard to do consistently. I get the cancel about 70% of the time now, and I canceled it into a footstool against someone which provided a safe way to get back to the stage after I was on the ledge. Yeah it's not one of those ATs that you use constantly, but rather once every 1-2 matches or so to give yourself a better position.
I never said I couldn't do it consistently, after about an hour or two, its all muscle memory, it's just in a spot during a match, you might not be able to do it under pressure, but I wouldn't know since I have used it in a match yet. But agreed, you might or might not need it at all when playing someone. Well like I said, at least we are trying to improve ourselves =p

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Telestep canceling is tight because it leaves you in a better position than Lightstepping, but imo you might as well just use lightstepping because it's easier and can be just as safe if you know what you are doing.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Yea this is also something I found while testing with lightstepping and such. It is a bit different from lightstepping simply for the distance portion as well as execution but overall similar. This is still a good find since I could never get the frame data just right to record the actual thing. Kudos to you my good friend, excellent frame catching.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Sa10, you gotta stop keeping all these secrets from us :p

Idk, I'd say this is more useful than lightstepping, or at least safer because you're still on the stage. Somehow getting footstooled during a lightstep really sucks =/

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Sa10, you gotta stop keeping all these secrets from us :p

Idk, I'd say this is more useful than lightstepping, or at least safer because you're still on the stage. Somehow getting footstooled during a lightstep really sucks =/

yeaa most of this wouldn't be secret anymore if my comp hadn't overloaded and such. But im re-gathering all that data gain so be preped.

IMO, lightstepping is a bit more useful then telestepping, but overall, either can be good. Although getting footstooled during one will suck serious ***.

Top Bottom