• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Link

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Link matchup.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I f*cking hate Link.

Z aerials are easy to beat; it's his ridiculous power and spacing game that irks me. He has consistent knockback and KO potential in many many moves and everything is really overpowering.

I mean, I guess if you play SUPER gay you can win, but overall I find this matchup uphill from the very beginning.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It can't be that bad, can it? I've never really played a good Link, but I figure if we can just get inside we can do some good damage. He's not too hard to gimp, either, is he? As long as we don't hit him up. :ohwell:

:027:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
"Not to hard to gimp"? He has the worst recovery in the game (I think it's even worse than Ivysaur's; at least he can recover 5 feet from the ledge). Gimping him is too easy with n-air and d-air. :laugh:

Although, that's all I can really say. Haven't fought a good Link offline...

:069:

Metatitan

Smash Master
Link dies really high at vertical KO's. Yoshi's best two KO moves are vertical killers. Link also kills really easily, outcamps us and has an annoying zair. Our cg is virtually worthless on him because of his bombs and the only thing I can think of is gimping him with Dair. Idk much about him though.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, by too hard I meant that Link mains usually have crazy DI and are usually high when off the stage, making it easier to recover. Though yes, in general, he is very easy to gimp. I just didn't want to make a sweeping generalization and be glared upon for it. >_<

I've never fought a good Link, though I play as him, but it's more projectile spam and maybe some nairs and bairs and stuff.

One thing to remember is that they can attack with a bomb in their hand. I was playing a friend of mine who mains TL and she pulled a bomb with Link, and I ran up to her thinking she was vulnerable. I got fsmashed and died. =[

Post Ninja Edit: If you can just land a nair on Link, Meta, it'll knock him more horizontal for a gimp chance. The bombs aren't too bad to deal with because they take a while to detonate him, so you can just CG him and then throw him away when you notice the bomb blinking between grabs.

Does Link really kill that easily? The first hit of Fsmash isn't incredibly strong and dair is pretty easy to avoid. Ftilt isn't too bad, and I can't think of another one. Maybe UpB OOS?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I believe that Link's best kill move is his d-smash, which really doesn't say much considering it kills Yoshi at 140% (I think the second hit of it is stronger). His d-air should always be avoided and isn't reliable and his f-smash is a little weak and predictable. His f-tilt makes a decent killer when undiminished, though.

Basically, a careful Yoshi should be living to about 140% each stock, but Link should be dying earlier due to gimps.

(I seriously hate Sakurai for making Link's recovery suck in this game. I would second him instead of Toon Link if it wasn't for that. :()

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ah, right, dsmash. I forgot about that one. Which is odd, since it's pretty much my main kill move with Link. I don't think it has much vertical range so maybe a SH Nair can beat a dsmash, which can be followed up for a gimp kill or what have you. I've come to love nair lately. =]

D

Deleted member

Umm no...
:)

Down air will hit because it wont be spammed. If you EVER, in some moment of weakness, try to uair, you will get daired, links jab cancel is also great and since links will mix up their options out of a double jab, they will sometimes SH dair to throw off spotdodgers, which kills at like 90?

I dont have much experience with it, i trust shiri.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Looks like we'll have to wait for Big and Shiri to have their matches then.

I do agree with the dair to beat uair thing. That's the way I most hit with it.

I still don't think Link is bad for us. I'd say even at worst, from my experience.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, Yoshi's u-air beats out Link's d-air, but I definitely do NOT recommend going for it. It's way too risky considering Link's fast-fall speed.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I will look for my post in the previous matchup thread.

I mean, I am probably exaggerating it (I used to say it was top three worst matchups for Yoshi) but the matchup is still f*cking ridiculous.

Smash Apprentice
Utilt is one of the better Link KO moves. It comes out really fast and is usually unexpected, so oftentimes there is no DI and it kills ridiculously easy.
Uair is another of Link's KO moves that hasn't been mentioned. It's safe, and even if you air dodge it, it auto-cancels on the ground so it can be followed up immediately.
The second hit of Fair is also often unexpected and KOs beautifully. It's most consistently done by full hopping it to begin the Fair, followed by fast fall into the second hit.

There are many setups that can lead to the KO moves: bomb stool (into Dair or Jab Lock), jab (Into Dsmash, Fsmash, Spin Attack), bair (Into Utilt, Dsmash, Fsmash), dthrow (Into Uair), bomb drop (Into Dair, Fair), bomb dthrow (Into Footstool, Fair, Dair), zair (Into Fsmash), jab lock (Into anything, really), and dash attack (Into Uair).

Link is underrated, IMO.

But if you DI Link's UpB properly, doesn't it take a lot longer to kill? I'm pretty sure that if you DI it right, it's kind of like Mario's bthrow. =/

:laugh:
If you DI any move correctly, it takes a lot longer to kill.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
U-tilt may KO, but even then it won't KO until around 150%-160%. It's not all that strong.
U-air is not a KO move. Unlike Toon Link's, Link's u-air is only strong as soon as the hit-box comes out, then it diminshes in power very quickly. It's nice for juggling, but not good for KOing.
F-air is too telegraphed, since only the second hit of it can KO. By that time Yoshi should know what to do in that situation. It's better for edge-guarding, and even then it's hard to hit it on Yoshi.

My point still stands: Link shouldn't kill Yoshi until around 140% if the Yoshi is careful.

OK, let's talk about camping. Who wins this battle?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Utilt is one of the better Link KO moves. It comes out really fast and is usually unexpected, so oftentimes there is no DI and it kills ridiculously easy.
Uair is another of Link's KO moves that hasn't been mentioned. It's safe, and even if you air dodge it, it auto-cancels on the ground so it can be followed up immediately.
The second hit of Fair is also often unexpected and KOs beautifully. It's most consistently done by full hopping it to begin the Fair, followed by fast fall into the second hit.

There are many setups that can lead to the KO moves: bomb stool (into Dair or Jab Lock), jab (Into Dsmash, Fsmash, Spin Attack), bair (Into Utilt, Dsmash, Fsmash), dthrow (Into Uair), bomb drop (Into Dair, Fair), bomb dthrow (Into Footstool, Fair, Dair), zair (Into Fsmash), jab lock (Into anything, really), and dash attack (Into Uair).

Link is underrated, IMO.

:laugh:
If you DI any move correctly, it takes a lot longer to kill.
I completely forgot about utilt. >_< I guess it does have some decent kill power, but it still requires a high amount of damage to KO, like Polter said. But it's very reliable at those percents.

I don't think uair is that good, for reasons Polter said. I noticed that I was getting killed by TL's uair easily, and then when I tried using Link's uair it didn't come close to killing at nearly the same percentage. I was saddened by this. =[

The second hit of fair is also really nice. I'm pretty sure hitting with it is hard though. It's not one of my more common moves when I use Link.

And all those other things! I'm not too familiar with them since I really only play Link for funcies. XD I am aware that Link's use a lot of bomb set ups however, so it's something to look out for.

It's true about the DI thing, but some moves don't get as good a DI as others (I think.). Mario's bthrow is pretty strong, but you can DI it up really far and it won't kill until around 200%.

Camping time! I think Link will win overall because of the lagless bow shots that can be pulled off upon landing. The Gale Boomerang isn't too much of a problem, but you can't just run into it. It can push you away as well. Bombs can also be used, but I'm not really too sure on how Link's use their bombs when camping (if they do). However, I don't think Yoshi has a problem getting through the projectiles since bair beats them all except bombs, which you can see coming anyways. Zair is also a pain but Link doesn't have as gay an uair as Samus does so approaching high can always work.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Without further ado, I present: Link and why he can SUCK ON MAH BAWLZ

I am going to start off by reminding everyone that I'm not very good at Yoshi. I think I know the character inside and out, but my skill using him is incredibly subpar. That being said, you should take whatever I'm about to say with as many grains of salt as you like; I think I'm pretty knowledgeable, but I am certainly not infallible. I am also pretty sure some, if not most, of you think that I am kinda crazy about certain things (liking the Sheik matchup in Melee, thinking Yoshi does as well against Meta Knight in Brawl as he did against Marth in Melee, liking the Brawl Pikachu matchup even better than the Melee Pikachu matchup, etc.) and my opinions on this matchup will probably not be any exception, but I feel it is important for me to share my views on it and you can decide from there what you would like to take from it. Oh, before I forget...this is long. Deal or don't read. tl;dr is for the weak.

I think this is a hard matchup. Certainly not the hardest for Yoshi (that goes to Mario, I think, still). I am going to probably start my analysis with Yoshi's more obvious advantages in this matchup and then compare them to Link's and see how the two characters interact with each other on the battlefield.

Yoshi has above average edgeguarding opportunities in this matchup. I think this alone turns the matchup from abysmal to winnable.

Yoshi has guaranteed KOs at the edge with grabs. This is what turns the matchup from winnable to bearable.

Yoshi, yet again, has a good combo reading in this matchup. Combined with the fact that Yoshi can pull out forward smashes in this matchup moreso than he can in most of his other matchups, forcing lots of damage over a relatively short amount of time isn't incredibly challenging.

Yoshi has a decent amount of projectile negation with neutral air and forward tilt. Jabs do almost nothing here, but getting camped isn't a terrible thing in this matchup if Yoshi can just stay on top of which projectiles are coming from where and know how to stop each one.

Anybody from almost any other character board reading advantages like these in a matchup would love to wonder why I'm still calling this a disadvantage for Yoshi. As anybody who plays Yoshi knows, things are never this simple. If they were, we'd have much better matchups across the board without question. Let's examine Link and how he works on paper, disregarding varying personal playstyles.

Link's number one advantage in this matchup, hands down, is range. Jabs, downsmash, forward tilt (you will hear me harp on this move many times--and for good reason), up air, and forward aerial are all incredibly useful and long (and these are just the abusable moves). While Yoshi has myriad options once he lands a hit, getting that first hit in is very very hard. Yoshi is hard pressed to find an opening in an intelligent Link that plays like Sheik--laglessly. If Link abuses his lagless ranged moves, he can really stay in place and make it extremely hard for Yoshi to get in.

Link's next advantage is very close in importance to his first; speed. Link and speed have never gone hand in hand in Smash, but Link can take advantage of Brawl's game engine with his very comfortable walking speed, as was pointed out earlier in this thread. Being able to walk into any grounded move, most of which are incredibly useful in this matchup), is a boon no Link player can deny. Considering falling speed, Link isn't bad in this department, either. It kinda sucks for his recovery offstage, but Link (always has and still) is known for his ability to adjust from his nominal freefall speed to incredibly speedy fastfalls. This makes his descent from Yoshi up aerials that failed to KO much trickier to intercept or disrupt with conventional techniques.

The final character advantage I'll be discussing in this matchup is one that I wish Yoshi had in this matchup, but just doesn't. Consistent power. Link has it. All of his moves. Powerful. Consistently. Yoshi does not have this. Yoshi has burst potential from up aerial and forward smash. Up smash and neutral air are Yoshi's only really consistently powerful moves. Everything else besides up smash and neutral air deteriorate too quickly to guarantee KOs. Link can tap on your shield all day with whatever he wants and still be able to hit Yoshi with weakened moves that are capable of KOs. Link is certainly no Snake (who can KO with every single A button move in his arsenal), but Link has plenty of power covering a wide range of moves and they all have decently consistent power, even as they degenerate.

I am now going to move onto how Link and Yoshi deal with other on the battlefield. This is what makes the core of any real matchup and where playstyles and decision-making come in to make or break a situation. We'll go over the three ranges and the four parts of the stage that every matchup deals with.

First, at long range, I'll admit that I don't know what really happens here. I can say, with some assurance, however, that Link's gale boomerang should see no use at this distance. Long range, again, is any distance longer than medium range (which I will cover shortly). Arrows are tricky, fast, and they smart, but they can be negated with enough reaction time. Bombs don't see use at super long ranges, but can see use for a little outside of medium range, and for good reason. Catching items is easier than ever in Smash history (sometimes even forcing unwanted catches), but if you're not good at catching bombs, Yoshi will want to either move or jab them away. Just be careful not to set them off. Eggs are decent at long range. Yoshi can arc and toss like a pro, but the Master Sword wants nothing to do with them. Powershielding is good for Link because of his shield stance and the ease of powershielding. If Link is on a platform, he can also use the Hylian Shield to negate eggs, but he still has to be wary of the explosions sometimes. If Yoshi insists on using eggs here, he should focus on the upper or lower corners of the shield (not body shots) in order to try for shield stabs with the explosions of the eggs. Yoshi can also try to force the explosions of eggs before they hit Link (if he doesn't have his shield up) instead of having the egg collide with him. This is quite an awkward tossing battle...Yoshi can egg toss slide away from arrows to land some interesting egg snipes if the stage is long enough, but Link can throw much faster than Yoshi, so things are quite up in the air, I think.

Watch out for sliding up smash. It's beautiful for closing distance, especially on smaller stages like Battlefield.

Medium range is Link's, no question. Medium range is that range just outside of both characters' abilities to hit each other. It is essentially a space where characters "set up shop" to try to establish defensive dominance and lead into offensive tactics via punishing mistakes or simple intimidation. Every medium range option Link has in just as fast as Yoshi's and has much more power. Link closes this space very well with short hop forward aerials, up tilts, reverse up tilts, sparingly used forward tilts, and jab swings make it very difficult for Yoshi to land closer egg tosses and grabs. The fact that intelligent closing of space with Link's moves can suffocate Yoshi's grab game is spectacular for Link, forcing Yoshi to do much more work than he'd like. Random forward smashes (first step) are good to keep Yoshi on his toes about blindly rushing in with a dash attack. Gale boomerang can see some use here against bad spotdodges and airdodges. The small vertical knockback presents nominal options for Link to take advantage of, usually leading to double forward air slaps or that nasty nasty down aerial. Yoshi's best weapon at this range for the matchup, back aerial, is up for some challenges to make itself as useful as it is otherwise. If Yoshi gets in, though, he should immediately start closing distance to make the absolute most of his situation.

Close range, no lie, Link is a ho. Link wants to use downsmash here liberally and one can expect lots of jabs and up tilts. Link shouldn't really be jumping here. Link gets by best with intelligent use of the quickest, most lagless moves he can use; most of those are ground moves. Link's close range tactics here are unique because of Yoshi's shield. When Yoshi puts his shield up, Link has a few options at his disposal, not to shift momentum to his favor, but to position Yoshi where he'd like for a range reset. If Link wants Yoshi back into medium range, he can down air, neutral air, or back air Yoshi's shield. If he wants to send Yoshi a little further, he can forward smash the shield with both hits to send Yoshi a ways away. That being said, Yoshi will want to try to stay out of shield and use low percent pseudo-CC to hit with jabs and down tilts to try to force openings for running back aerials and grabs or maybe even the rare dash attack. Forward tilt isn't very good here, I think, because the vertical knockback sets Link up for neutral and down air retaliation. If it's shielded at all, it's GG Yoshi. I believe Yoshi will want to focus more on horizontal taps and force Link to the edges of the stage as quickly as possible.

Okay, I am looking at this post and realizing how long it is, so I'm going to stop here and see what you all have to say in response before I come back and print the second half later this evening regarding the four areas of the stage and my final thoughts on the matchup. I hope this is all coherent and if you don't agree, please feel free to do so and let's talk about this matchup because I really don't think it's as close to neutral as it's been getting recently.
:yoshi: Found it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: SL, you silly goose.

Oh, get on the Xat so I can talk to you about the Pikachu thing.

Back to Link, I agree that offstage is a part of the match that makes this not abysmal. It's getting him there that's the problem.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Wow, what a post. :dizzy:

Looks like it's time to dissect it. *Readies surgical instruments*

I don't have anything to say about the first half, character advantages. I agree with 'em. ;D

Long Range: I'm not really sure what to do there either. I try not to camp Link. I love the sliding Usmash though. =3

Link probably wins at Mid Range, but I think that closing in shouldn't be too hard. It looks a lot scarier on paper, I think. I believe you should just keep a bair wall up and get inbetween his attacks. I don't think Fair autocancels. Utilt has some ending lag so if you don't get hit by it you may be able to get in one of your attacks. Ftilt is nearly the same. Jab canceling is a problem, and I'm not sure what to do about that but not run into it. Gale Boomerang is beat by bair if I remember correctly, and the first step of Fsmash also has some lag on it. I agree that Link definitely wins at midrange, but I'm pretty confident there should be enough time inbetween his attacks to land a bair or grab or whatever is faster for you at the moment.

Close Range: If shielding resets the range, then while it's not immediately bad for us, it does make us have to close in again. I don't shield much anyways, though. I agree that vertical knockback should be avoided until higher percents, where he can't get us back with a nair or dair immediately. If Link Dsmashes I think you can SH Nair over the attack and kick him in the face. Getting him to the edge is always highest priority. I don't see why him shielding an attack is GG Yoshi, could you explain? :ohwell:

I just don't think Link is as scary as he looks on paper. I'm pretty sure we can deal with him, we just need to know how.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Link's forward air does indeed autocancel.

Well, first off, for the record, all aerial attacks have some sort of autocancel window. I won't get into the specifics right now but I'll just say that some windows are larger and more convenient than others. The scary part about Link forward air is that he can do all three swings (1 - rising, 2 - peak, 3 - falling) and they each cover a different vertical range of his jumping arc if he short hops.

Next, I agree that the edge is extremely high priority. With regards to Link shielding against Yoshi, I was specifically referring to Link shielding Yoshi's forward tilt because of how much time Link (and any character, for that matter) has to retaliate after that move.

I agree that he is scary on paper, but even above average Links give me trouble from time to time. The great ones? Forget it; if you can find reliable and safe ways to get Link to the edge, let me know. I'm pretty sure I invented gimping Link, but getting him to the edge is a serious problem for me.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Doesn't his fair only have two slashes?

And I haven't ever really played a good Link. I'm just kind of going off what you posted, and while he has a lot of options, it doesn't look like he can put up a constant wall.

When I play a decent Link I'll be sure to tell you how to get him to the ledge. ;D

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Forward air does, indeed, have three slashes. Two main swings and a reverse swing in between them.

Been like that since 64. :D

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm so bad at these numbers, LOL. Stop asking me that. XD

Uh...

If I say 60:40, that makes the matchup sound a little easier than it actually is and 70:30 makes people scream because it's "not worse than Marth/Falco," so I'll say 65:35? I guess? I have no idea, LOL. So unquantifiable.

And SL, prz step it up @ the Link forward air. :D

.Marik

is a social misfit
Link isn't as bad as Shiri makes him out to be.

Sure, he has range, solid kill moves, and annoying projectiles, but that's about it.

DI helps, he's easily spiked/gimped, he has a bad recovery, and tilts wreck him and can set up combos.

I'm pretty sure it's Yoshi' favour, although only slightly, maybe 55:45. But I don't have an exact matchup ratio in mind. I don't really play Links that much, but I absolutely wrecked one at Pownz.

But, Link does have tricks up his sleeve. So... I'll see where this thread goes, and comment from there.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Unlike Samus, Link's Z-air has a much shorter range and comes out at a somewhat slower rate (I think..).
Yoshi should have the advantage cause':

1. Link can't penetrate(K.O.) Yoshi out of his super armor in his 2nd jump. Thus screwing Link over in mid-air.
2. Link is screwed offstage. Yoshi is a beast offstage. Nuff' said.
3. When he's coming down from the air, just Egg Roll around the stage to confuse him. Lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
1. Yes he can.
2. I semi agree here. But Link can throw bombs while recovering and gale boomerang and such.
3. No. Just no. Never. I warrant no further response to that.

Never egg roll around the stage when you can beat out his dair with Uair come up under him and snag it.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
1. Yes he can.
2. I semi agree here. But Link can throw bombs while recovering and gale boomerang and such.
3. No. Just no. Never. I warrant no further response to that.

Never egg roll around the stage when you can beat out his dair with Uair come up under him and snag it.
@#1- Really? It happened to me once and I didn't die. Oh well...

@#2- Though by the time he throws the Boomerang and bombs and such. He'll be handed his fate by meeting his doom at the bottom of the stage.

@#3- I totally agree.
I just didn't know his U-air had more priority than Link's D-air uptil now.

Chaco

Never Logs In
1. It's percentage based.

3. It does, but you have to hit it right.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
I've found grabbing links as they are landing to be really effective, fthrow or bthrow towards ledge, and they are in air again... rinse and repeat tell your at the ledge...

Top Bottom