• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu matchup discussion

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Main matchup thread: [LINK]

First matchup topic created! Let’s start discussing. Which are the approaches Pikachu would use on Ike when he is in low (>60), middle (>90) and high percentage?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I prefer this way over the old method because if someone wants to bring back the discussion, it won’t have to interrupt the current discussion and the tread will be brought up to the main page, gaining much more attention than a single post that can be flooded on by the matchup discussion in progress.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
If that's the case, then why not make a table of contents for it for players to be able to find match ups.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I’ll add a table of contents at the main thread. Please, if you wish to discuss the procedure model do it at the main matchup thread, not here at the Pikachu matchup discussion.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
EDITED for Guilhe so he has everything in one post

Who better than me to give a few about this..

Pikachu can CG you to 60% + a regrab with a buffered dthrow, and Pikachu is good at getting those grabs too so be warned.

So you'll end up at 70ish% if you let him grab you, Pikachu will also combo you pretty well without the CG so.. meh you gotta be better at avoid kill moves from Pikachu than avoid combos, you take damage either way pretty darn quick at low%.

Pika's basic combos are like:

utilt > aerial, thunder at higher %'s
uair > uair or nair
fair > bunch of stuff (including grab)
Usmash > thunder

then DownSmash for tech chasing since most people DI out of it, land on the ground and you need to make sure pikachu doesn't read how you move.

You have two key advantages in this MU that saves you from being utterly helpless,
RANGE and POWER
What a surprise lol

The massive range and power difference forces Pikachu to play defensively, as any form of aggression will put Pikachu at risk to eating a fist or sword. All it takes is 5 jab combos and Pikachu is ready to be killed. Fairs really annoy Pikachu with its long range. Nair will work wonders when spaced.

Moves Pikachu will kill you with are fsmash, nair, usmash/utilt > thunder. If you manage to be really good, watch out for an angled up ftilt (150-160% for a fresh one)

Thunder is a mind game half the time and a combo the other half. It really is DI dependent if its a combo or not, more you manage to DI away the more mind game, the better in your favor. NEVER AD right away, thunder will eat that habit very quickly.

oh and.. DI up for dsmash and be ready to tech the ground.

For stages, platforms work best as most Pikachus don't like them.. most.. Sword helps with platforms so yea naturally Ike will do better with platforms around.

Edgeguarding:

Don't try it...

Well, eruption has a big enough hitbox to hit pikachu out of QA before he sweetspots it, but not really... practical to do. Just throwing that out there.

Pikachu is pretty much up there on hardest character to gimp when properly recovering. (Seriously there was a thread and he won hardest to gimp)

If Pikachu skull bashes like an idoit, eruption or spike that Pikachu. Skull Bash doesn't sweet spot right away (Just like out quick draw).

Run off fair is pretty nice, good killer at 70-80% if it hits and really great since fair has an obscene amount of range. But major risk if you go off stage and miss. Probably will get yourself gimped.

....Quick attack is too good since it can go in any direction and not only that, allows Pikachu to recovery onstage straight into offensive.

In the end... you can try, but it probably won't work. Rely on flat out kills against Pikachu. As gimping him requires really good prediction. Much more prediction then hitting him with a utilt.

Recovering:

Tjolt will gimp Ike if he gets hit with it with no 2nd jump. I remember gimping and Ike out of chaingrab with a tjolt cause he jumped into it.

Now some Pikachus tend to use only tjolt to gimp aether. This should NEVER gimp you, just aether again. A real gimp would be tjolt then edge hog.

One gimp to watch out for is Pikachu running off the stage then using QA to steal the ledge right before you get it. Normally running off trying to hit you away with nair or such. If you do get hit, you better DI good or you're dead. Sadly nair can send horizontally when hit with the bottom hitbox, which sucks for us.

that's really it, Pikachu can't spike, all he can do is just hit you more away, which works on our one direction limited recovery.

At BF it'll be 45-55 to 5-5

On FD it's like 37-63

So in general i put it at 40-60

oh and http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238293 0-death Combo

CG > uair > footstool > QAL > thunder

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Alas, i've grown old.. and lost my touch... lol (how could i forget edgeguarding)

Well, eruption has a big enough hitbox to hit pikachu out of QA before he sweetspots it, but not really... easy to do. Just throwing that out there.

Pikachu is pretty much up there on hardest character to gimp when properly recovering. (Seriously there was a thread and he won hardest to gimp)

If Pikachu skull bashes like an idoit, eruption or spike that Pikachu. Skull Bash doesn't sweet spot right away (Just like out quick draw).

Run off fair is pretty nice, good killer at 70-80% if it hits and really great since fair has an obscene amount of range.

....Quick attack is too good since it can go in any direction and not only that, allows Pikachu to recovery onstage straight into offensive.

In the end... you can try, but it probably won't work. Rely on flat out kills against Pikachu. As gimping him requires really good prediction.

Tjolt will gimp Ike if he gets hit with it with no 2nd jump. I remember gimping and Ike out of chaingrab with a tjolt cause he jumped into it.

Now some Pikachus tend to use only tjolt to gimp aether. This should NEVER gimp you, just aether again. A real gimp would be tjolt then edge hog.

One gimp to watch out for is Pikachu running of the stage then using QA to steal the ledge right before you get it. Normally running off trying to hit you away with nair or such. If you do get hit, you better DI good or you're dead. Sadly nair can send horizontal when hit with the bottom hitbox, which sucks for us.

that's really it, Pikachu can't spike, all he can do is just hit you more away, which works on our one direction limited recovery.

BTW the 0-death thing isn't had to do.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Pikachu’s recovery is pretty much unpredictable and fast, I agree that the Ike player should wait for the Pikachu comeback by the edge instead of risking stupid **** and getting ****ed up instead. Looking at the list of Pikachu’s “combos” (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196602), Utilt and Dthrow -> Utilt are setups for Uair, Dthrow -> Utilt being cited as a reliable string at low percents. We should watch out for those and as percentage builds up, we should be fine.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
tsk, the uair > footstool apparently gets easier the more damage you have cause you're in hitstun longer.. (staleness needed though)

So says the one testing it that is.

main thing doesn't help that Ike gets started at 12%

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

Run off fair is pretty nice, good killer at 70-80% if it hits and really great since fair has an obscene amount of range.
To be quite honest, I wouldn't walk off fair pikachu, unless I jump or something beforehand. I've never been able to get back to the stage with walk off fair by not grabbing the ledge, and pikachu has the options to get back to the ledge very quickly, so it's QUITE the big risk

Who better than me to give a few about this..

Pikachu can CG you to 60% + a regrab with a buffered dthrow, and Pikachu is good at getting those grabs too so be warned.

So you'll end up at 70ish% if you let him grab you, Pikachu will also combo you pretty well without the CG so.. meh you gotta be better at avoid kill moves from Pikachu than avoid combos, you take damage either way pretty darn quick at low%.

You have two key advantages in this MU that saves you from being utterly helpless,
RANGE and POWER
What a surprise lol

For stages, platforms work best as most Pikachus don't like them.. most.. Sword helps with platforms so yea naturally Ike will do better with platforms around.

At BF it'll be 45-55 to 5-5

On FD it's like 37-63

So in general i put it at 40-60
[/COLOR]
From my pikachu experience, they hate Ike's jab with a passion. Jab + nair spacing helps Ike rarely to get grabbed by pikachu with its range and quickness. The thing about pikachu going defensive, is that Ike's sword is so large, he can get hit by tjolt and still hit pikachu at the same time sometimes, so pikachu has to put in so much distance, and going in for the kills are quite risky.

The only really unfair stages against pikachu are really FD, norfair, and maybe Japes, but I'm not really sure about that last one. IMO Ike has more advantageous stages to choose from. I think that matchup leans closer to 45:55 than 40:60, especially since ledge release nair/QA intercept is really a pain offstage. tjolt usually helps me recover offstage o_O

Guilhe

Smash Ace
tsk, the uair > footstool apparently gets easier the more damage you have cause you're in hitstun longer.. (staleness needed though)

So says the one testing it that is.

main thing doesn't help that Ike gets started at 12%
I've checked the Pikachu guide for confirmation on that and found nothing, besides, I've never heard about a move with increasing hitstun dependent on the opponent's percentage.

For stage counterpick I would suggest Brinstar for the following reasons:

• The stage is very short, so Pikachu can't camp for long and dies much earlier;
  • Goos absorbs the tjolt and depending on the size of the goo at the main platform, can interrupt the CG;
  • The irregularity of the stage might make the Pikachu miss the CG or the death combo;
  • The lava helps people with poor recovery like us, interrupt the CG and the death combo;

Persona

Smash Rookie
My approach to Pikachu with Ike is to use Ike's hitbox to your advantage. My friend, who mains Pikachu, and I, maining Ike, have at least 5, 3-stock matches everyday, and I usually win because I manage to stay out of his attack range, and dodge whenever I can. The same goes for playing a CPU, just stay out of his hitbox, shield at the right moment, and Ragnell will cleave Pikachu as easily as it cleaved the Black Knight.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Who uses ragnell to fight the black knight still??

Pikachu can get in Ike. He has speed to close in that fast.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Considering that the only Pika main thats here is Ussi (no offense), I'm gonna go ahead and invite the other Pika mains to help in the discussion. Get more opinions from other Pikas.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
My approach to Pikachu with Ike is to use Ike's hitbox to your advantage. My friend, who mains Pikachu, and I, maining Ike, have at least 5, 3-stock matches everyday, and I usually win because I manage to stay out of his attack range, and dodge whenever I can. The same goes for playing a CPU, just stay out of his hitbox, shield at the right moment, and Ragnell will cleave Pikachu as easily as it cleaved the Black Knight.
1) CPU experience means NOTHING. If anything, it makes use less likely to take your post seriously.

2) You have very general information there. "Use range and dodge". That means nothing.

3) By the sound of things, your friend sucks. Does he know how to chaingrab? If he doesn't, he's irrelevant to this match-up.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
It’s a shame no more Pikachu players showed up for the discussion, but with Ussi alone I believe I have a solid idea on how this matchup works. I must agree with San, this matchup looks much closer to 55:45 in most neutral stages; Ike is far from helpless when fighting Pikachu. I’ll submit my write-up before the end of the week, so let’s wrap this up and start discussing another character. Ussi, could you edit one of your previous posts bringing the two parts of your write-up together? Everyone who wish to submit a ratio please do it now (justified), and please drop by the main matchup thread for suggestions on the next character.

Persona

Smash Rookie
1) CPU experience means NOTHING. If anything, it makes use less likely to take your post seriously.

2) You have very general information there. "Use range and dodge". That means nothing.

3) By the sound of things, your friend sucks. Does he know how to chaingrab? If he doesn't, he's irrelevant to this match-up.
1) CPUs don't have human error, meaning they have perfect timing, and timing for humans can have many variables, such as the reaction time of the controller, and just having the human be too slow. Sure, CPUs may use cheap, unprofessional tactics such as edge guarding, and they may not use the strongest moves, but getting the ability to counter perfect timing is something that's useful.

2) Pikachu's grab isn't as long as Ragnell's reach, which means you can side-step dodge the grab, then do a neutral a combo to put some distance between yourself and the Pikachu, or you can do a forward dodge and get behind the Pikachu and then do the neutral a combo.

3) He does know how to chain-grab, but a chain grab needs a starting grab, and if the Pikachu can't grab you in the first place, how is he going to chain grab you?

Palpi

Smash Hero
You have two key advantages in this MU that saves you from being utterly helpless, RANGE and POWER
What a surprise lol
[/COLOR]
I love the first match. Ike dies @ 101, 96, 105. Kills sonic at 138. Who's the kill character?
Pikachu has a solid chance of killing Ike before Pikachu dies. Though were joking about the power people don't walk into forward smashes like they used to. :chuckle:

-Senior Critic Palpi

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
1) CPUs don't have human error, meaning they have perfect timing, and timing for humans can have many variables, such as the reaction time of the controller, and just having the human be too slow. Sure, CPUs may use cheap, unprofessional tactics such as edge guarding, and they may not use the strongest moves, but getting the ability to counter perfect timing is something that's useful.

2) Pikachu's grab isn't as long as Ragnell's reach, which means you can side-step dodge the grab, then do a neutral a combo to put some distance between yourself and the Pikachu, or you can do a forward dodge and get behind the Pikachu and then do the neutral a combo.

3) He does know how to chain-grab, but a chain grab needs a starting grab, and if the Pikachu can't grab you in the first place, how is he going to chain grab you?

1) CPU's are good only for practicing spacing and what not, even then you could get the same results, even better from actual battle. You say that CPU are incapable of human error, but they are also incapable to think like actual players. Real players shift their play style to meet the situation and adapt; CPU's on the otherhand go for the basics.

2)Again, just because we have range over Pikachu, it means nothing if you can't properly space yourself and if you use any of Ike's slower moves leaving you vulnerable in the end. A good Pikachu, no, a good opponent in general will attempt to bait you into spot dodging or forcing you into situation in which you'll leave yourself open. Spotdodging and roll dodging is alright from time to time, but Pika can always get you with a dsmash or pivot grab (if you're that readable) to punish spot dodging. My point is, yes we have range, but it is upto the player to put it into good use.

3)Pikachu is a quick little critter, so he'll find a way to grab you, infact it's inevitable. If your friend is unable to get passed your defenses, then he himself is probably doing something wrong.

Persona

Smash Rookie
1) CPU's are good only for practicing spacing and what not, even then you could get the same results, even better from actual battle. You say that CPU are incapable of human error, but they are also incapable to think like actual players. Real players shift their play style to meet the situation and adapt; CPU's on the otherhand go for the basics.

2)Again, just because we have range over Pikachu, it means nothing if you can't properly space yourself and if you use any of Ike's slower moves leaving you vulnerable in the end. A good Pikachu, no, a good opponent in general will attempt to bait you into spot dodging or forcing you into situation in which you'll leave yourself open. Spotdodging and roll dodging is alright from time to time, but Pika can always get you with a dsmash or pivot grab (if you're that readable) to punish spot dodging. My point is, yes we have range, but it is upto the player to put it into good use.

3)Pikachu is a quick little critter, so he'll find a way to grab you, infact it's inevitable. If your friend is unable to get passed your defenses, then he himself is probably doing something wrong.
1) There's no doubt that humans are the best to test things on, with varying techniques and abilities, there's thousands of ways to defeat human opponents, rather than just one or two to defeating a CPU.

2) Ike's slower moves are just that, slow. The best option is to use quick moves rather than try to finish off the opponent too quickly with a slow, predictable move. Plus, plenty of Ike's quicker moves can just as easily kill the opponent as Ike's slow-@$$ smash attacks. And yeah, good opponents will try to bait you, and a good opponent can read you easily. I read cwjalex's basics rant last night, and I will say now that shielding or spot dodging might not even be the best option, but just maybe walking or dashing out of the range of the move.

3) Yeah, Pikachu is a fast little critter. -_- And he will find a way to grab you, and chain grabbing is a hard thing to escape from. In a game like Smash Bros, you can find a way to get out of the chain grab. As for my friend's technique, the only thing wrong with it is that he likes to drag things out. He also considers chain grabbing a cheap move, despite its popularity. He plays the game more for fun rather than playing to show off, although he does tend to resort to edge guarding and chain grabbing if he feels like doing so.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
1) Persona, I repeat: Computers. Are. WORTHLESS. Particularly when it comes up to match-ups. They don't know advance techs, don't DI well, have inhuman "reflexes", don't adapt, etc. Anybody who even thinks about bringing them up in a match-up discussion is a complete and utter joke around here. Don't ever mention them again.

2) He also considers chain grabbing a cheap move, despite its popularity. Then he is a scrub and doesn't count for much, if anything, in this match-up discussion.

3) Dash -> shield -> grab = standing grab. It's not hard for Pikachu to CG at all. The whole point of a CG is you can't escape it until a certain %. Meaning that your whole "finding a way to get out" comment is a joke. If you can get out early, your friend can't do an easy CG well at all.

4) By the sounds of things, your friend doesn't always edge guard when he can, or CGing when he can, which is yet another thing that suggests he actually sucks. Post so videos to prove otherwise, because right now he sounds like a scrub that occasionally CGs (poorly) for the heck of it.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Here is my write-up

Pikachu is a versatile character, it has a good variety of combos, high mobility, nice projectiles and a chaingrab on heavy and fast falling characters, Ike included. Not only that but a recently discovered infinite footstool combo that works on all characters at varying percentages. Its most evident weakness lies in his light weight and the short reach of his attacks, even for the long and disjointed attacks it has, the sweetspot lies very close to his body. That's some good news for Ike as he can space himself to avoid the brutal punishment that the chaingrab represents in long stages like FD and kill Pikachu early regardless of its practically ungimpable recovery.

That doesn't mean it will be easy though. With tjolt and high mobility, Ike has no choice but to do the approach himself. An experienced Pikachu player will use this advantage to study how the Ike player approaches, and punish accordingly if he does so in a predictable manner (look for the “Generating a Win: An Electrifying Guide to Pikachu” defensive maneuvers section for more information).

After the damage was done Pikachu should have a few options for finishing Ike, on stage it wold be largely through vertical KO, though if the Ike player spacing was bad enough, a sweetspoted Fsmash could KO horizontally as well. A Star KO can be avoided until very high percentages with good DI / SDI and Ike's inherent heavy weight, most threatening is Pikachu's potential for edge guarding: After throwing Ike offstage, Pikachu can follow him to the depths of hell is he wants to and then quickly return to the stage with his UpB recovery. Also, Ike's options at the ledge are quite limited and aerial from Pikachu like Nair or Dair would be enough to KO him from there. When recovering, the Ike player should be prepared to deal with Pikachu's aerials and space Aether correctly or Pikachu could knock him off it with QA.

The infinite footstool combo is a true combo that works on Ike from percentage 12% and above, its setup is Uair and it leads to a jab lock if executed correctly. Uair is a hard move to land, so it should be attempted as a string following Dthrow -> Utilt at low percentages and following a single Utilt at mid percentages. If the Ike player has failed to avoid it through correct DI out of Dthrow and/or Utilt and got caught in the infinite, its best chances to escape is to DI/SDI the QA hits and in hope that the Pikachu miss. In fact, it’s the only thing anyone can do once caught.

I consider this matchup to be a clear advantage to Pikachu (40:60) mostly due to the chaingrab. Still, the matchup doesn't get worse than this because Ike can avoid it if spacing formidably.

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
meh, needs more. You are really just saying what pikachu can do to ike but not much on what we can do to pika. Also you should put a link to “Generating a Win: An Electrifying Guide to Pikachu” and what stage we should counter pick.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ok, I'll put the link. Done. For stages I have already suggested Brinstar in the previous page, I'll link it with Battlefield and Luigi's Mansion at the main thread. I haven't mentioned Ike much because there's no attribute in Pikachu that forces him to adapt his strategy for this specific matchup, the Ike player should do what he normally does.

Persona

Smash Rookie
1) Persona, I repeat: Computers. Are. WORTHLESS. Particularly when it comes up to match-ups. They don't know advance techs, don't DI well, have inhuman "reflexes", don't adapt, etc. Anybody who even thinks about bringing them up in a match-up discussion is a complete and utter joke around here. Don't ever mention them again.

2) He also considers chain grabbing a cheap move, despite its popularity. Then he is a scrub and doesn't count for much, if anything, in this match-up discussion.

3) Dash -> shield -> grab = standing grab. It's not hard for Pikachu to CG at all. The whole point of a CG is you can't escape it until a certain %. Meaning that your whole "finding a way to get out" comment is a joke. If you can get out early, your friend can't do an easy CG well at all.

4) By the sounds of things, your friend doesn't always edge guard when he can, or CGing when he can, which is yet another thing that suggests he actually sucks. Post so videos to prove otherwise, because right now he sounds like a scrub that occasionally CGs (poorly) for the heck of it.
1) Fine.

2) Nothing else to say.

3) Nothing else to say.

4) Where's the fun in edge guarding? What, do you guys NOT like to drag things out? And I wish I could put some vids up, but unfortunately, and I know I'm going to sound like a joke again, but I've never made a video game recording like the good ones you see on YouTube, and I'm too stupid to know how to do so.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Where's the fun in edge guarding?
Is this a flipping joke? This is tournament settings. Nobody cares about matches where you go easy on someone. You play to win. If that means being gay and infiniting DK with D3, you do that. Every.Single.Stock.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Matchup analysys from previous matchup discussion, written by Light

Pikachu

Speed (Running and attack) : *****
Power (Killing moves and damage racking): ***
Range (Priority and hitbox) : ***
Recovery : ****

Character Strengths: Very fast, chaingrabs, great edgeguarder.
Character Weaknesses: Light, low range, low quantity of finishers.

Recommended Counterpick: Luigi's Mansion

Hey you! Pikachu! That pathetic segway brings us to our next character, the lovable rat from Pokemon – Pikachu. Pikachu is a fast, agile character that has electric stun effects, long range projectiles, some disjointed hitboxes, blue goggles and two chaingrabs. It maneuvers itself strategically to inflict damage and finish you off, all in style. Some characters writhe in pain at the sight of this electric rodent. Does Ike? Nah.

There are some things that should be said before we begin a more in-depth overview of Pikachu. First of all, it has Thunder Jolt, a projectile that goes across the screen, bouncing as it does. It can be initiated in the air, though doing so makes it a ball of electricity, instead of a traveling shock. This shock flinches you, and does a fair bit of damage, so either powershield it or jump over it, your choice. Second thing of note is that Pikachu has two chaingrabs to its name. The first is the down throw chaingrab. It racks up to 80% on poor Fox! Ike can just jump out of it, fortunately. However, the second CG, Forward Throw, works on Ike. The timing is strict, but it’s quite some damage if they pull it off. Don’t get grabbed…again. Those will be a main way that Pikachu can rack up damage on you, so just be careful, is all. Pikachu will also attempt to use the Down Smash to rack up a fair bit of damage. Don’t let it do so by DIing upwards, then punishing it. Also avoid its multihit aerials in the same way.

Well, now Pikachu has hit you enough or grabbed you enough or Thunder Jolted you enough that it has decided that your visage annoys it. It has decided to deal a finishing blow on you. It’ll be accomplishing this goal by either edge guarding or simply hitting you with a powerful attack. Thunder will work wonders if you get the timing wrong for Aether or Quick Draw, so avoid that. It can Quick Attack edgeguard to get easy kills and it can also interrupt Aether with QA, but that’s not that bad. If it decides to flat out kill you, it’ll use one of three moves. The Forward Smash has a sweetspot at the base of the attack, but it’s strong, so if you let your spacing down you’re in fun for disappointment. The Nair is fast and kills rather early, same with the Up smash, running or otherwise. Those are the only things that should be killing you, so just keep an eye out and you’ll be safe.

In this match, you’ve got the standard two things going for you. Number one, you outrange Pikachu in everything. Number two; you have more power as well. And there’s the fact that Pikachu is a lightweight. Due to the fact that Pikachu is fast and has a chaingrab, however, you can’t brute force your way through this one. You’ll need to play at a slower tempo than other matches, relying on your Short Hopped Aerials such as the Neutral Air and Forward air to deal damage, head back. The Jab combo and grabs accomplish the same purpose on the ground, as you have a better grab range than Pikachu does. Pikachu might QAC to get close, but it probably won’t due to fear of an Up Smash. To kill Pikachu off, either punish it if it recovering using Skull Bash or find out it’s QA patterns and punish then. Otherwise, I recommend using fully spaced Ftilts and rising Back Aerials to kill it off. If it’s coming down, the Up Air can kill early as well.

To stage counterpick Pikachu, I recommend either Battlefield for neutral stages, as Ike is good there and the platforms help against Pikachu, or you can choose to go Luigi’s Mansion for a true CP. This stage severely helps with all of the things Ike has trouble with in the Pikachu fight, namely the CG and the Thunder Jolt.

This is a battle where you have priorities. Don’t get camped, don’t get grabbed, take advantage of Pikachu’s weaker points and find the opportunities to kill early.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Stage counterpick and banning recommendations

Counterpick

Brinstar:

For stage counterpick I would suggest Brinstar for the following reasons:

• The stage is very short, so Pikachu can't camp for long and dies much earlier;

• Goos absorbs the tjolt and, depending on the size of the goo at the main platform, can interrupt the CG;

• The irregularity of the stage might make the Pikachu miss the CG or the death combo;

• The lava helps people with poor recovery like Ike, interrupt the CG and the death combo;
Luigi's Mansion:

Battlefield
Pros:

• The platfroms prevents thunder from being reflected back at you
  • Smaller stage means pikachu will have an easier time killing people.
  • Pikachu can go under the stage to avoid edgeguarders and ledge pressure.
  • The platforms gives Pikachu more options with QAC.
  • Pikachu can usmash through the bottom two platforms.

Cons:

• The flat bottom allows pikachu to CG certain characters, however the stage is really small, so the CG won't last long
  • Its a smaller stage, so pikachu dies earlier
  • Hitting with a sweetspotted thunder becomes very difficult.
  • Many other characters can hit through the platforms.
  • You can't full hop tjolts because of platform interferance.

Summary:

This stage isn't good for a defensive pika. The small stage usually means a high pressure and fast paced game. However, for an offensive pika, the platforms + QAC open up a whole new dimension of approaching.

I generally try to stay on the bottom level. Pikachu doesn't do well on platforms, since he can't hit his opponent, but his opponent can hit him.

Rating: 5/10 This stage can be a really good stage for QAC, but since pikachu is better on wide open stages and is not a major platform player, there are better stages for pikachu. Most pika's ban this stage...

Character:
Advantage:

DDD (platforms eliminate anything he can really do to outspace us + CG)
Disadvantage:

Snake 's utilt will kill you through the platforms. His mines, C4, and Grenades are a pain on this stage. He can camp here and pikachu can't do anything about it.
Marth is also really good on this stage. He can hit you through the platforms as well.
Anyone that can abuse platforms (Olimar's usmash/uair, Zelda's usmash, G&W's nair, etc.)​
Ike has a lot of potential for platform abuse, so if you have a strong platform game this should be the ideal stage for your counterpick. The above text is quoted from the Pikachu boards stage discussion thread.

Banning

Final Destination

The stage is quite long and wide, that's a plus for Pikachu camping, chaingrabbing and survival. There is nothing much to say beyond that. Ban it!

Top Bottom