• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just UpB twice with G&W! I can't figure out how I did it.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmdzJXy0-Y

I didn't have any cheats loaded, no GeckoOs, no homebrew active. This wasn't online. We were sitting next to each other playing a normal game. Snake doesn't have a windbox anywhere. I didn't take any damage the entire time (no grenade touched me)

I seriously don't know how I did this.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It doesn't really look like he footstooled you...

This is very strange.

CO18

Smash Hero
Why did you try to up+b again in the first place? lol Or did it just come out without you pressing anything.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Why did you try to up+b again in the first place? lol Or did it just come out without you pressing anything.
Lol Dphat asked the same question. I told him I've been working on finding a way to UpB infinitely with G&W. I'm getting closer!!!

=)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Maybe it's the part of the move that you hit with? Try repeating that same sequence and maybe something will show up. Just saying ;)
And it would make sense why this has not been discovered yet, if a G&W has hit with Up-B and thus has used it, why would he do it again?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
He footstooled you as you were rising.

nevershootme

Smash Master
whoever was using snake mashed jump caused an "invisible footstool" (I typically call that,meaning he could be getting a boosted jump but giving no footstool animation for the opponent). therefore granting u the extra up-b to use.

that's my theory so far...

edit: hylian was right in a sense, but he didn't go into the footstool animation. g&w up-b hitbox was way up there as snake get on the spring and into the zone where g&w up-b was traveling, so yea... it happened like that.

blame brawl physics :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Interesting.

Footstool seems like a possible answer.

But it's Brawl, so maybe the game was just being stupid, as usual.

Watch it be like because Snake rolled onto the spring or something.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No, it was a footstool. Zac hit him out of it. Or it's possible jumps produce windboxes.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I can't see the Snake Footstooling me as I'm rising up to hit him with my UpB. If he footstooled (which would have been the first footstool since he left the ground) then he would have jumped high enough to not get hit.

I'm not convinced it was a footstool, but that's possible.

nevershootme

Smash Master
No, it was a footstool. Zac hit him out of it. Or it's possible jumps produce windboxes.
if you look at where snake jumped in the air is where that "footstool" happened, inside where the windbox is. his footstool jump isn't as high as others.

An invisible footstool exists, try doing d-air camping with mk by the opponent's head and you'll see mk rising super high and miss the next d-air

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hmm, I'm looking at it closely. The footstool is the only plausible explanation, even though it really doesn't seem like it, and Snake should have avoided the hit if he footstool. I use invincibility footstools on purpose a LOT to escape stuff and this did not look like one. Hylian's solution makes the most sense, but I'm still taking this into the smashlab for a deeper look. Did you save the replay?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Snake might have footstooled during G&W's upB's invincibility frames. Either that or it's what Hylian and 8-Bit said.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Yeah ive had this happen to me a handful of times. Its defintely like a phantom footstool or something odd like that.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
well its like the glitch with marth's double up B when ur playing u really can't tell wat ur doing so he wants to combo snake to keep him in to air then he will do every thing possible to do so. when i play with G&W i tend to do so too. up B THEN Uair then up B again to hit him again (knowing it will not work) i still do it like second nature or some thing its hard to explain so maybe its a glitch. i will probe the game or try to imitate wat he did. to find out this double up B but any way if found out to be done over and over again at will then this will make a great no no no im sorry the best recovery in the game. :) <_<

Cook Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ive had this happen to me a handful of times. Its defintely like a phantom footstool or something odd like that.
I'm inclined to agree. If you can discover how this happened, just think of what new tactics can be made. Assuming it wasn't a glitch, of course.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Footstool seems to be the only answer, unless you did actually stumble on a new mechanic. I'm betting on Footstool, though.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
to me, footstool only looks like the possible answer, u didnt get attacked, so how could there be any other way

White Out

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's foot stool i've done a second Up-B after hitting the Hook part of Final destination with a F-Air immeditly after doing up-B i thought nothing of it and thought mabe it was the angle i came from and hit the stage and thought i would never hope to be in that situation again so i didn't think nothing of it but now i'm convinced it has to do with the F-Air and from your video i believe it has something to do with the hitbox slightly above the top of the box near GaW i wish i had a replay

If this is true it won't be broken but usefull in situations such as the one in the video as i believe infinite Up-Bs would and should be banned

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I figured out how I did it.

It was a footstool. You can't see it, but it happened. The snake tried to footstool my UpB attack. Since I was going up at such high speeds I hit him out of his footstool the moment it happened. You can't actually see it unless you slow it down frame-by-frame.

I tried re-creating it and it works. Just spam the jump button and time G&W's UpB so the tip barely hits.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
=( o well i'll try to figure out how i did mine then i wish i had a replay
Actually, have you seen Wolf use his side-b and it hit the ledge and he just falls? He can use his up-b as well and just sort of "bump" into the ledge without grabbing onto it, and yet he can use his up-b again. I think that is what might have happened to you. That's my theory.

BrianTheLion

Smash Journeyman
i did a double up into the bottom of smashvill like a week ago and i clearly didnt footstool but i hit him with my first up-b

Xi_Athletics_ix

Smash Rookie
Actually, have you seen Wolf use his side-b and it hit the ledge and he just falls? He can use his up-b as well and just sort of "bump" into the ledge without grabbing onto it, and yet he can use his up-b again. I think that is what might have happened to you. That's my theory.
My friend plays wolf and he does the same thing with wolf. he calls them his wolf ledge tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYdJXeytVo
go to 2:05 and a little further, Pretty sure that's what you're talking about with the side b and bumping the ledge.

Top Bottom