• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy way to lightshield

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I posted this in the melee general discussion, but thought I should post this here, since it heavily benifits GaW. It's altering the Shield button so that lightshielding is easier, while everything else is unaffected.

In order for this to work, as you put your controller in the slot, you lightly hold down L or R (about halfway or so), so that it is off centered (or 'messed up'). It's similar to if you were to accidentally hold a direction on the control stick, causing your character to move in a constant direction while not touching your control stick. It may take a few tries to make it right, but the end result is very much worth it (at least for me).

What this control does is change where the L/R button starts to register when you are pressing the button... as in you have to press the button farther in to get it to start shielding. The advantage to this is that if you have it at the perfect place, pressing the shield button up to the 'click' point makes you perfect light-shield (where passing the click point makes you full-shield). So that way, you don't have to guess as to if you are going to lightshield properly, and you don't have to worry about accidentally dropping your lightshield.

This does not affect fully-pressed L/R buttons, so you can still full-shield, air-dodge, wavedash, etc. All this changes is lightshielding.

Just posting this so that other people can try it out... and to give GaW mainers a permanent shield :p

Try it out, and you'll see what it is I'm talking about.

And this is tourney legal, as nothing inside the controller has changed... and some people already do stuff similar to this.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The explanation doesn't make any sense. Are you just telling us how to lightshield (which we all know), or are you trying to explain a trick with the controller to make Lightshielding easier...?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I edited the OP. Hopefully it's easier to understand. It's a 'trick', which is making your L/R button off-centered (like an off-centered control stick... where you have to unplug your controller to make it centered again). It makes lightshielding much easier.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I'm thinking that you mean you have to hold lightly one shielding button and then the other hard to power shield when you need to power shield an incoming attack. If this is what you mean yes it useful in duration of the shield.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
It has nothing to do with powershield... though it can be used for it.

Basically, do this:

-Enter training mode with GaW.
-Press down shield slowly until he lightshields. It shouldn't take long at all.
-Now unplug your controller.
-Hold down the R or L button about a quarter way down.
-Plug in your controller while holding down the R or L button a quarter way down * (read below for more info on this).
-Press down shield slowly (the one you just held down a quarter way) until he lightshields. You have to press it down much farther.

* it's like pressing the control stick to the side as you plug in your controller. Your character will always walk in a direction. You do this with the R button.

So basically, by doing this, you change how far you press the R/L button to make it register a lightshield.

Using this, you can set your button so that it registers a perfect lightshield just before the 'click'. This way, pushing the controller up to the click (not past) results in a perfect lightshield, while pushing it all the way makes it full-shield.

It simply makes lightshielding alot easier. Nothing to do with powershielding.

I may just make a video to show what this is. It's very useful, but too hard to explain.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'd say it is. It's called a soft mod.

Not adjusting any hardware, but you're adjusting the controller to make a task easier than it originally is.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
It has nothing to do with powershield... though it can be used for it.

Basically, do this:

-Enter training mode with GaW.
-Press down shield slowly until he lightshields. It shouldn't take long at all.
-Now unplug your controller.
-Hold down the R or L button about a quarter way down.
-Plug in your controller while holding down the R or L button a quarter way down * (read below for more info on this).
-Press down shield slowly (the one you just held down a quarter way) until he lightshields. You have to press it down much farther.

* it's like pressing the control stick to the side as you plug in your controller. Your character will always walk in a direction. You do this with the R button.

So basically, by doing this, you change how far you press the R/L button to make it register a lightshield.

Using this, you can set your button so that it registers a perfect lightshield just before the 'click'. This way, pushing the controller up to the click (not past) results in a perfect lightshield, while pushing it all the way makes it full-shield.

It simply makes lightshielding alot easier. Nothing to do with powershielding.

I may just make a video to show what this is. It's very useful, but too hard to explain.
My goodness! This is something I didn't ever know before. I'm going to try this today; very good find Blue Yoshi! Thank you =)
-------
CLASS OF 2009!!!

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if anyone in a tourny is gonna want to wait on you to do all the prep work...( only to beast you afterwards, lol! ) I can see where it would help you get the "feel" with how lightshielding helps gameplay. But when it comes to the technical side of getting your hand muscles to memorize the right pressure, it seems like it would be that much harder after getting used to doing it this-way.

Pi

Smash Hero
lol it's fine
light shielding isn't all that hard to learn any way
took me like 4 matches w/ a dsmash spamming shiek to start getting it
nobody's gonna call you on this any way
sides if you're beatin them w/ g&w they have no room to speak any way '*****'S CHEATIN, SOFT MODDIN HIS CONTROLLER SO MY MOVES DON'T GET THROUGH HIS SHIELD'

and you dun need to plug/replug, couldn't you just use the X+Y+START to reset it whilst holding down your shield?

Top Bottom