• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar: Watering Your Doubles Flower

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Tentative title to help you get the jist that this is about Olimar in doubles, i'm recreating it to restart this thread because shrink is dead basically and i felt that this is something, alot of people will learn to look to when time goes on.

Areas I feel we should discuss.

I. Olimar's Role In Doubles
Basically an over view of how he can be played, recovery kinks, things you do/ should be doing with him in general

II. Strategies
There are things that work in singles that may not work "too well" or as "effectively in doubles as they normally would, so here goes what works in doubles in general

III. Teammates
I think this is one of the most important factors in Olimar doubles because I've noticed depending on your partner's character you are going to play more of a certain way, than you would if they played with a different character. Also we can rank(sort of like a tier list) where character "A." stands with Olimar as a doubles partner.

going to come up with a quick guide of how team mate summaries should look like soon.

IV. Stages???
I'm not too sure if this would work or actually be discussed very thoroughly. But if people feel the need to say Olimar in doubles works well on such and such stage then this will become a section.

anybody else notice you can make this joke now.
Our leader is Adolf Hiltler.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Good, perfect timing too. I need help with doubles, anyway the other guide is dead. Most characters that were supposed to be discussed weren't discussed.

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Aweome, well I say a great partner for Olimar is Marf.

I think Olimar's basic role in doubles is to just rack up damage (obvious).
An awesome strategy me and my bro found pretty useful is that when he uses Mario and spams fireballs on the ground and short hoping fireballs. I take full jumps and spam pikmins at the opponent. This works best on stages like FD. Either they get hit with the fireball and are open to an attack, or go through the pikmin taking some damage.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Perfect strategy, your partner is fox. All u have to do when theres 1 opponent left is u grab, pummel. Then fox shoot his lazers. After the foe is at a decent percentage u grab and fox dashes and upsmashes.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Perfect strategy, your partner is fox. All u have to do when theres 1 opponent left is u grab, pummel. Then fox shoot his lazers. After the foe is at a decent percentage u grab and fox dashes and upsmashes.
You do realize that this isn't always going to be a 2 on 1, right? So you can't always do that.

Zori

Smash Champion
you can whistle alot or just uair like a mofo olimar is bad in teams *shrugs*

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Let's find a Wombo Combo!

If your partner is lucario and he is above 90% damage, spam your partner so he can use his down B, and it works great when your partner is cornered by two opponents.

Hi-C

Smash Rookie
I find teaming with Pikachu is hard. My friend mains it/he/she. Our chemistry isn't so great though.
I find once one of the opponents is out though, its backthrow into thunder. Or forward throw into skullbash. The camping games don't really mesh well IMO.
We tend to single opponents out, occasionally working to combo attack(s) together.

EDIT: Opponents stuck between Pikachu jab and Oli's grab for laughs.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I. Olimar's Role In Doubles
Basically an over view of how he can be played, recovery kinks, things you do/ should be doing with him in general

I personally feel olimar is the person who should be sitting back camping, saving his moves for the final hit. He makes an awesome partner to combo with, he is really good at camping, and can kill quickly.

II. Strategies
There are things that work in singles that may not work "too well" or as "effectively in doubles as they normally would, so here goes what works in doubles in general

Spamming your sideb is NOT RECOMMENDED for doubles whatsoever. You do this and you also kill your partner, if you are goign to sideb make sure you are really accurate, your partner isn't there, or you are sniping a white or something. I used to try to camp a lot and i would just end up racking up damage on my partner most of the time.

Look for team combos! This is good for anyone, if someone is off the stage make sure you go right to your partner and one of you grab and the other does whatever while your enemy is still spawning. Olimar is a great combo player, and taking advantage of these situations is very important in any time.

III. Teammates
I think this is one of the most important factors in Olimar doubles because I've noticed depending on your partner's character you are going to play more of a certain way, than you would if they played with a different character. Also we can rank(sort of like a tier list) where character "A." stands with Olimar as a doubles partner.

This....is the hard part. Nearly everyone in the game makes a difficult partner for olimar. This game is more about teamwork and acknowledging your partner and relying on him. You need to make sure he saves you from getting gimped, saves you AFTER you get gimped (like metaknight with his upair), and to just make sure you don't get knocked the hell around.

Top choices I would prefer....

1) Metaknight -- MK is just amazing, he is quick, strong, can kill, and his ABILITY TO SAVE YOU FROM BEING GIMPED is just ********. I haven't been gimped when I had a good MK partner, he always drops down and uairs me so I live. Make sure your partner is well aware of any problematic situation.

2) Marth -- Marth is a VERY quick killer, he is very mobile and has great spacing tools. Let him do all the work for you and you just go in for the team combo or the kill moves. Don't let your partner get beaten around too much though ^_^ Your role in this is to stock tank

3) Lucas -- Don't really have much to say about this, but for some reason every Lucas I team with, regardless of skill level, makes a really awesome partner for me. Maybe someone can explain this? :o

4) Yoshi -- My partner is Green Ace, so maybe it's just my situation. We both play aggressive camping in this matchup, preferable on the same side of the stage with the enemies away from us. I just spam grab and he throws eggs past us, which creates an almost impassable wall. As long as you and your partner understand each others playstyles almost anything is possible.

:::I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM:::

1) Snake -- As current snake metagame evolves, a lot of it has to do with his grenades. This leads to most snake players using grenades way too much, especially for doubles. Every time I team with a snake I'm getting hit by explosions, their C4, just about anything he does. This is a very possible team and can go a long way, as long as both players understand it's doubles, and that you both are ready to watch out for random explosions. Snake and olimar make great team combos as far as grab kills, double teaming, and can both fend for themselves if it turns into a 1on1 situation. Just make sure you and your partner understand each other and communicate! If you do have a snake partner, when 2on1, snake dthrows and tech chases normal get up and away, you just stand there and charge a dsmash it's amazing xD

Snake I still do decently with, but it's very difficult. Other than that, there isn't really any "bad" teammates I can think of at the moment :X

IV. Stages???
I'm not too sure if this would work or actually be discussed very thoroughly. But if people feel the need to say Olimar in doubles works well on such and such stage then this will become a section.

I personally feel every large stage (halberd, final destination, jungle japes, lylat, etc.) works VERY well for olimar in doubles. He's able to run around like he can in singles without the risk of falling into friendly fire from your partner. The closer everyone is together, the more hectic it gets. You can split apart your enemies pretty easily and can be careful not to get gimped because there is more space to move around.

***FINAL NOTES***

I love playing as olimar in doubles. The biggest point I'de like to make is that you and your partner MUST COMMUNICATE! Communication is the biggest thing, especially having olimar as a partner. Every time you are off the stage, or think you are gonna get knocked off, inform your partner. Getting gimped in doubles is very easy and can happen very unexpectedly. Don't try to pikmin spam, try to be accurate if you are using sideb and not to latch onto your partner. The only time I can consider latching onto a partner is to activate a counter-ability; lucario marth and ike, which can be very deadly if you communicate nicely.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
You can always just grab release between the two of you until they're dead lol.

Noa.

Smash Master
Peach and also use her counter when she's latched. She also gets pikmin off easily in case you get her with >B.

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Another cool trick is if you're teamed with Mario, you can use the Up smash or Up throw, Mario capes the enemy(Cape ****), and the momentum sends him higher than usual. Although it can be done with anyone besides Olimar, but the up smash does come out fast and if both partners know when it's coming it can be done pretty well.(Hard to do though)

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I would say no, because on a small stage you're bound to be F-tilted to death by your partner. Also because Snake's use C4s and etc, basically what the other dude said about it just not being compatible. Too much friendly fire would become of that team.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
So umm as of now I'll just jog discussions as to what partners I think are good for Olimar. Mainly I look for people that can kill easy, are not "easily" gimped, and or can save you without putting themselves in too much danger. SO basically I'm looking at the top tier of Olimar teammates, and I'm backing all of these up with arguments. BUT, I don't really know where to rank them so I'll just go in alphabetically. Everything i say is from a personal experience so feel free to call me on it.

D3: The Big guy. Okay so mainly D3 looks for in a teammate someone that can deal with his bad match ups, because for the most part he can
deal with ours. MK's are somewhat of hindrance to the team, but as long as you can both handle your own against them, you should both feel fine. D3 has the ability to tie up someone giving your problems with his chaingrab, or throws with good knock back giving you more of a good opportunity to 2v1 someone very often and it's very easy to kill with your Upsmash or his uptilt, and you can infinite many people because of his grab range. D3 provides a solid team partner in that you can throw Pikmin around and camp and he'll still protect you because he's a big target to have to get through, before someone can attack you, and because he's so heavy he can take more of a beating than you can anyway. He won't be getting gimped very often, but you can usually for see risky situations because of how predictable his recovery is. Basically what I'm saying is when you think he's about to get gimped either say something or do something about it, you can usually up B anything approaching towards him if he's coming high, or try to do something about another person if he's coming low. Just remember to be Vocal with all of your partners(this helps a lot in doubles) D3 is also pretty good in the air so he can often save you from a risky situation, or actually he can help you if you've used pikmin chain to get back to the stage. If he's under you his Upair will send you up, or he could use fair on the opposite side of the death wall to send you back towards the stage.

GnW: Yes, Olimar works well with black men and I'm proud of him for it(see i'm black). I've done this team with Vex Kasrani and we've beat Boss and P-S(in two different sets)taking second to G-Reg and Plank, and NinjaLink and Andy have done this and taken first ,they even have videos up I think. I think GnW is one of Olimar's overall best partners like in the top 3 or so if he isn't first. Most of the same things work that work with D3. Mk's are still somewhat of a problem but you both should be experienced in the match - up and try to get it to 2 1v1's if you both feel you can handle it. He's a monster in the air making, up for all of your priority issues with his great priority. Every smash he has is a decent kill move, so a couple of pikmin, a grab, and a smash can pretty much take someone's stock. He can save you easily with Upair and it propels you really far if he actually hits you with the attack. You don't really have to worry about where you throw your pikmin, since GnW is less of a target to hit with yours if you aren't really aiming. 2v1's end really easy if he charges Upsmash instead of you doing it, because I think it's either as strong or maybe a bit stronger than purple, when it's sweet spotted. The Only problem with this deal is that you two are both light characters so you may have some problems with people who hit hard, like say a double snake team(that'd suck). But if you both know your stuff, and have good chemistry you can do really well together.

Snake: YAY! This is personal but I have fun teaming with Snake, seems childish but for fun my partner gives me grenades so i can make stuff go BOOM! ...

Okay in all seriousness though Snake, if you both have good chemistry(that's really important with snake) you can do something special. With Snake things get more match up dependent he can deal with every single one of your bad matcups he goes in on: Marth, Luigi, and Peach. With MK it depends how the snake plays he has to use explosives a lot so you want to generally give the Snake space so he can work his stuff. On smaller stages this gets harder, but on no stage is this impossible but this team actually works well when you stick together. When you are both camping to fight you work very well with him behind you throwing grenades, and you in front tossing pikmin. Any approach can be shut down, grounded approaches can be grabbed, with the missed grabs being picked up by a Snake Dash(just sidestep when you know he's about to do it.) Aerial approaches you should try to pikmin chain, and when they try to capitalize on you, BOOM! (okay i really like saying Boom so sue me.) You tend to work better on larger stages so keep that in mind if you decide to try this. One of my favorite things about this matchup is the easiness at which everything flows. Snake has a great grab game if they know how to use it, for example his Dthrow tech chases. You both can "lead" them into doing what you want them to do by placing yourselves in certain positions, for example if you want them to roll right just stand on the left of where they would be if they rolled left after the Dthrow. Either they roll right and get re-grabbed, do a get up attack and either get shielded or punished by you, or roll left anyways and you grab them. You can be saved up until a certain percent be grenades and C4. If you're falling to your doom after Pikmin chain(i love doing this in singles when they try showing off hee hee) and a grenade is thrown at you off stage if you follow the path of the grenade and it hits you, the explosion will send you far enough back towards the stage, that either you will get back on the stage, or you can pikmin chain again. The same works with C4. Also you have little tricks you can work in with c4, let them plant a c4 on you and fight soimeone, after you have planted it on them switch opponents the Snake will realize what you have done, and they can blow the other person up at will.

Will go back and clean this.
Argument is wanted.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Snake is good as long as u don't kill him and vice versa. If everything is timed correctly and u don't kill each other then olimar and snake is a good duo.

Fino

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post, but the effort I put into this hopefully avoids the infraction :p

Olimar’s Role In Doubles:
Most good teams have some type of cool team combo / gimmick that gives them the edge over just any other team. G&W’s will fill their bucket with their teammate’s projectile and then unleash a deadly ko move, while psi twins will use the same idea but to recover themselves. Luigi has a gimmick, which we all know is his shoryuken, which requires a grab-set up. Olimar, on the other hand, has quite possibly the best team gimmick in the game. It requires little team set-up, and completely annihilates other teams. This gimmick is olimar’s purple pikmin upsmash.
As silly as it may sound at first, you may not realize how stale your usmash gets before someone is in ko range. We use it to combo, to juggle, and by the time we’re ready to ko, a purple pikmin isn’t always next in line when we’re at that precise moment where usmash is the best option. I will say this now and stand by it: Teams with Olimar should ENTIRELY REVOLVE around his purple pikmin usmash. Let me outline the function and basics of team play, and then I will show you how to utilize olimar’s upsmash into play.

Team structures:
The most basic form of teams play, and this is placement. In singles, a lot of matches can be determined by how well you space yourself; however, in teams it’s all about zoning. There are four zones on a stage, and that’s basically character placement

_1_2_3_4_

Image the above is FD, and the numbers represent characters in play. For explanation purposes I will now reference “O” as olimar “X” for an opponent and “Y” for your teammate (or for a standard your team).

Team formation 1:

_X_Y_Y_X_

This is the most prominent formation in teams play. It is important that you are able to hold this position. This position has it so that your partner’s back is facing your back, and you’re fighting your opponents on the outside. While difficult to maintain, it is the strongest team formation. Here is where you get a lot of team combos and effort. In short, you’re disrupting your opponent’s team function by splitting them up (often times why people call doubles two 1v1s). The team on the side will most of the time win in this situation (assuming equal skill in both teams).
Now, an important part of teams play is to switch playing different characters. Mainly due to your opponent learning your teammates play style, but it’s also good to switch to get un-expected hits. Being able to switch between the two will score a lot of extra hits that normally wouldn’t happen. This is most effective in this formation since you’re right next to your partner, and it just requires that you switch sides and keep fighting.
This formation is most effective at the beginning of the match, or when your opponents are at low percents.

Team formation 2:

_Y_X_Y_X_

This is the more common team formation. No matter how hard you try to hold the first one, it inevitably will reach here. The important factor of this team formation is to have the opponents with the higher percent on the left (or right… it goes both ways) and the opponent with the lower percent in the middle… usually best when one of them just spawns, otherwise it doesn’t matter a whole lot. The reasoning behind this is so that when you knock the one with the high percent off stage, you can ravage team combo the other one.
Example:

_Y_X__Y__ -X

At this point you are going to keep the opponent that is still on stage under pressure. Why not go gimp / edge guard the other person? Like I said, an Olimar team’s function is “purple upsmash”. Needless to say, it’s going to take time for them to recover. Use this time to team combo the other person. When you go to edge guard the other teammate, the opponent on stage is going to go help them. Regardless of what your teammate might do, they will find a way out and go help them. By helping them this often times means hitting you away from the edge, which then often times results in your, or your teammate dying. So play it safe and just double-team them until his partner comes back.
The best formation for double-teaming the partner is usually going to be

_Y_X_O___ -X

The reason for this is when he finally gets back on stage olimar has the most options to just poke him away again, whether it be an f-smash or a grab… ect.

Team formation 3:

_X_X_Y_Y_

This is pretty standard in terms of starting a match, but it’s not going to happen often. When it does the person on the inside should try to finagle into the X’s zone and then go to team formation 1 or 2.

~~~~On to actual olimar function in doubles~~~~
Team formation 2 is MOST effective in teams with olimar, because it strengthens the team gimmick of his purple up-smash. As for olimar’s placement it SHOULD look like this

_X_Y_X_O_

In most match-ups it should look like this. The exception is time where you’re playing a mk who is in zone 3 and you’re at a low percent, where the unfortunate outcome of dash grab release to dtilt gimp is a likely scenario you want to avoid. Disregarding such occurrences, this is the strongest formation for olimar as it makes your team gimmick very abuse-able.

Your teammate, unfortunately, will be doing most of the work. His job is to rack up damage on both characters. Olimar’s function is to avoid using up smash, tank stock, avoid contact in general, and upsmash people when they hit a high percent. Let me walk through that a bit more slowly.

Avoid using upsmash: This is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of olimar teams play. Using your upsmash at any other time but for killing is a wasted asset. Here’s why his upsmash is so **** important. Un-stale, it will kill most of the cast at 80-90% given moderate DI. The best part of teams play with olimar is that your options for pulling off an upsmash (even against those such as peach and luigi who make it hard) become exponentially easier. Most people won’t see it coming. Olimar is quick in terms of sneaking under people and just tappin’ that c-stick. Most people have an idea of what you’re about to do, but un-like in singles, they have less time to react to it. This makes perfect, or even really good DI near impossible (assuming you team is keeping the pressure on them at all times). So moderate to good DI at best, and you will still be killing them at 80-90% This isn’t a fun fact, more of a guarantee. If you save your upsmash you WILL be killing them retardedly early (earlier than in singles). Note, it takes a very conscious effort to not use your usmash (especially after playing singles for so long), so it’s good to practice this in teams.

Tank stock / avoid contact: Putting olimar in either zone 1 or 4 will give him the best options to tank stock. You teammate should be doing his work to aggravating the other team into attacking mostly him. To make sure they focus on your teammate you should play super gay olimar and make them gtfo. The goal is to build a perfect defense around the edge of the stage so there is less **** coming your way. This is also helped by your teammate randomly coming in and hitting the person who is attacking the opponent putting pressure on you. You teammate is also vitally important for doing this in order for you to not be tempted to use your usmash. So in short you should be playing very defensively around your ledge so that you hold stocks. Since your teammate is the primary damage builder, he will also be the primary damage taker, and will more likely need 4 stocks to complete his job.

Note: For your team gimmick to work, you need at least one purple pikmin at all times. Tanking the edge is good because if there’s ever a time where you’re fight free you can farm purples (oh lawd I actually found a use for it…. //wrist)

Up smash: Olimar upsmash is one of the most ridiculous moves in brawl, and it’s more ridiculous in teams. The purple pikmin usmash has tremendous range, tremendous power, and tremendous spam-ability (it’s freaking quick). For your gimmick to work you just have to keep an eye at your opponents percent, and as soon as it tints a reddish color run and usmash away. Point to the sky until your arms hurt. Killing at such ridiculous percents causes something that most smashers can’t help. It gets them angry, and they lose their cool. After that you’ve won. They will play reckless and target you playing really poorly. Sometimes they will forget your teammate is there, which now it’s his turn to come in for the easy hits. This works at more low levels of bracket, but it’s still nice to understand. Watching DSF play M2K at whobo, you see that even the best players can lose their cool, so just be mindful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Teammates: Another big factor in olimar teams play is his partner. You need a partner that can help you fluidly execute your upsmash / keep it fresh. There are two types of functionalities in characters that will help an olimar team:

Crowd Control: These characters are built for being able to take upon two characters at once. They work great because they can keep both people occupied, and off olimar.
Strong crowd control characters: G&W, DDD, R.O.B. Toon link
Middle crowd control characters: Pikachu, Wario, Marth
Weak crowd control characters: Diddy, Luigi, Lucario, ZZS

Aerial whores: These character protect olimar where he is weak. The air. While olimar has a decent aerial game, having a partner that can shut out your opponents aerial game (or at least go even with it) is just another advantage on saving that upsmash.
Strong aerial ***** characters: G&W, Luigi, Marth, Peach, Pit, R.O.B. Wario
Middle aerial ***** characters: DDD, Lucario, Shawnik, Toon link, Yoshi
Weak aerial ***** characters: Jiggs

Appear in both: G&W, DDD, R.O.B. Toon link, Marth, Luigi, Lucario
G&W: While G&W can’t bucket pikmin (although admittedly sweet if oil panic latched onto someone and continued to do damage until they got it off) He’s stilla pretty good teammate. He can ***** around with nairs and bairs and keep both opponents at bay. He can also really pressure people in the air. Overall he keeps your olimar safe. An issue with most game and watch mains is they don’t understand the concept of oli-grab + smash, since they usually hit both people. If you find a G&W that can space well, good for you. Another issue with G&W is that they don’t really care where you are, and will team attack you a lot. Their entire play style in singles revolves around aerial spam everything that moves, which could work into your opponents advantage. Again, this is a generalization… and you may find a G&W who is good in teams practice and what not. He also detracts from your team gimmick in that he will cstick away at them and try to kill them, when the primary focus should be on you killing them. All in all he’s a pretty good teammate, and if you can find a G&W main that you can mesh well with, I’d go for it

DDD: DDD is a powerhouse, he tanks stocks just by being a fat penguin. He’s got the attributes that you want in a teammate. The only issue with DDD is that he is a huge combo target. Any team with an mk puts your team at risk because they can just nado ***** away, and there’s not much you can do about it. Good thing about ddd is that he has lots of combo potential as well. He can easily dthrow someone to you to usmash ect. Again, not quite the tip top of teammates, but he’s still a good choice for teams.

R.O.B: While carrying the same combo target as DDD, I feel rob is one of the strongest matches to olimar. If R.O.B can do any thing, it’s crowd control. He’s easily the best at it. Rob can, and will, take on two teammates at the same time for the duration of the match. Be mindful of helping him when he’s being double teamed, but rob is one of the best matches for olimar. Rob also has a VERY SLOW uthrow, which you can see coming for a mile away. You can use this to an advantage of usmashing them right as rob comes down. It’s a good un-escapable set-up for olimar, and incredibly easy to space. Olimar is good with rob because he covers R.O.B’s weak-spot (underneath him) with a powerful ground game.

Too… ****ing A: Yes, I will say that gay is also another great match for olimar <.< his spam and aerial prowess are buffed in team play, and he can hold his own in double teamed situations. One of the added bonuses (for gay) is that he doesn’t have to worry about killing anymore. This is good because his usmash and utilt, which are normally saved as kill moves at 150% (LOL), are great “combo” moves. They can easily be spammed now, since the primary strategy is purple usmash. I currently team with a gay main right now; one of his favorite things is usmash locking DDD to 70% lol.

Marth: I would put marth around G&W and DDD, but not quite Gay and R.O.B. Marth is overally really good for olimar. He has the air down. You have his bad match-ups taken care of, and he has yours. It’s all good on paper, I just haven’t seen a good olimarth team, and so I don’t have much in experence to say about it. The only warning I can give is to make sure he can space well, so when you grab someone and he charges his fsmash that he doesn’t hit the opponent and tipper you. If someone wants to send me a vid of a good olimarth team, or give your exp with it, that’d be cool.

Luigi: Luigi is undoubtedly on par with R.O.B and gay, if not a smidge above. On top of olimar’s gimmick, luigi’s gimmick is super buffed. Olimar has a ridiculous grab, combine that set-up with luigi’s shoryuken, and DAYUM. For extra fun you can piranha plant glitch it, and shoryuken during olimar’s uthrow for even earlier ko’s (still in testing). Luigi also covers olimar in the air well, and olimar covers luigi on the ground well. The only problem with the oliluigi team is that you both get gimped. We’ve dealt with that in singles, but it’s worse in doubles… just be prepared.

Lucario: Lucario is another meh, I don’t know much but would like to. Just know in theory he should be a good partner. Especially if you’re tanking stocks, and he has to share a stock. That should buff his power right? I should probably look that up. Lol.

Stages: Low ceilings / anything that give your upsmash / ability to save it an advantage

Ban: Stages like japes with super high ceilings

Last tips with olimar in teams:

GTFO: Tell your partner to just stay away from you in general. Team attacking is very frustrating, and with olimar’s ginormous hitboxes you will hit him a lot if he doesn’t space himself away from your cstick. For a general outline tell him to give you 1/3 – 1/4 of the stage on the ground and never be directly above you. With that you should be good.

Pikmin toss: Don’t use it as much, use it to bait people away from your partner or to snipe people with whites ect. You should have a feel for how your pikmin toss, just be mindful to whistle them off if they hit your partner. Note: you should tell your partner not to hit off the pikmin unless you intentionally make a plan to stall a hitbox with pikmin. It should be your job to whistle them off him and save him the grief of worrying about it. The exception to this rule is if there is a white attached to your opponent, or your teammate is already at a stupid high percent and there is one latched onto an opponent at the same time (the pikmin on your teammate will naturally fall off after a couple hits).

I’m sure there is more to write out, I just can’t remember and I get lost in rambling lol. Hope I helped

~Fino

EDIT: it is important to note that it is STATISTICALLY PROVEN that teams that wear red beat teams that wear blue more often. This was done in a large scale test in various sports regarding various different skill levels.
This is also a warning that you should never use blue gloves olimar :bee:

EDIT 2: I might add this to deflowered unless everyone prefers to have a separate thread for dubs. 7 more pages of :D to add to it ^^;

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Good read, and I was about to say the same about never being on blue team.
It's just so hard to resist that up smash, I am going to try and replace that habit with Fairs Nairs and Bairs. my bro uses Lucario when we are teamed, I could record some matches we have and post them and you guys could see how we do or how we play. Also low cieling stages are bad for both teams because a lot of teams have G&Ws as a partner and he can KO both Lucario and Olimar very early, but yeah it's better than others especially when you're fighting a double MK team.

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Hey I just realized that if Olimar catches someone in an Up Air, the dude is stuck in those hits and could be followed by your partner doing a fair/dair or whatever.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
I feel as though Fino's experience teaming up with my ROB has him a bit biased... NAW lawl olirob is raep.

You're forgetting pikmin latching people's backs while they're stuck in rob's dtilts, and then fairing them should they manage to roll out of the dtlits...

And can't olimar with a gyro glide toss into upsmash?

Noa.

Smash Master
At the end where Fino gives the tip that your opponent should GTFO, I don't think that would apply to Peach.

If your teammate is Peach and she's floating all the time, she won't ever get hit by your attacks. Fsmash it too low, usmash is outprioritized, she floats over the grabs, etc.

She seems like a good partner because while she's daircomboing the opponent you can usmash them without worrying about Peach getting hit by the usmash.

Fino

Smash Master
At the end where Fino gives the tip that your opponent should GTFO, I don't think that would apply to Peach.

If your teammate is Peach and she's floating all the time, she won't ever get hit by your attacks. Fsmash it too low, usmash is outprioritized, she floats over the grabs, etc.

She seems like a good partner because while she's daircomboing the opponent you can usmash them without worrying about Peach getting hit by the usmash.
This would be a peach with very poor spacing. Peach's dair will hit olimar if you try to usmash them, and if peach is floating at the most efficient height, you fsmash will knock them with a weak hitbox.

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master
Peach can float just above Olimar and not hit him with dair. And why would I be using fsmash? It was so that Olimar could get an usmash kill while she's applying pressure with dair.

Fino

Smash Master
Peach can float just above Olimar and not hit him with dair.
Correct, if she's not dairing, then she won't hit him with dair? Otherwise if she is using dair, and she is above olimar, and olimar is not hit, that would be a peach with very poor spacing.

And why would I be using fsmash? It was so that Olimar could get an usmash kill while she's applying pressure with dair.
You're not going to be in a position where peach is hitting someone with dair and you can upsmash. Again, if you were to even try to do that it would be a mistake and poor spacing on peach's part. At a height where that is possible peach won't be even able to dair 70% of the cast.

The reason you are fsmashing is because it is "too low" to hit peach when she is "floating around all over the place" (like you said in your previous post. I was merely pointing out that at peach's best floating height for pressuring opponents, olimar's fsmash will hit her.

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master

Correct, if she's not dairing, then she won't hit him with dair? Otherwise if she is using dair, and she is above olimar, and olimar is not hit, that would be a peach with very poor spacing.

You're not going to be in a position where peach is hitting someone with dair and you can upsmash. Again, if you were to even try to do that it would be a mistake and poor spacing on peach's part. At a height where that is possible peach won't be even able to dair 70% of the cast.

The reason you are fsmashing is because it is "too low" to hit peach when she is "floating around all over the place" (like you said in your previous post. I was merely pointing out that at peach's best floating height for pressuring opponents, olimar's fsmash will hit her.

~Fino
Peach's best height for applying pressure to the opponent is at the top of their shield or height. She's depleting their shield with dair while not being able to worry about being shieldgrabbed. At this height she is not only applying pressure but keeping herself safe from most options.

Now, Peach does not need to be floating over the usmash hitbox to avoid being hit by it. It seems you think that Peach should be completely avoiding this hitbox of usmash, at a height where she obviously can't attack most of the cast. But Peach doesn't need to avoid the hitbox. While she is dairing the usmash will not hit her. Usmash does not go through her dair. Peach is safe while dairing. Olimar would be kept safe from the dair if Peach is floating at a height where it will not directly hit Olimar. At that height, she can hit anyone with dair if they are taller than Olimar. Which is most of the cast iirc.

Fino

Smash Master
Peach's best height for applying pressure to the opponent is at the top of their shield or height. She's depleting their shield with dair while not being able to worry about being shieldgrabbed. At this height she is not only applying pressure but keeping herself safe from most options.

Now, Peach does not need to be floating over the usmash hitbox to avoid being hit by it. It seems you think that Peach should be completely avoiding this hitbox of usmash, at a height where she obviously can't attack most of the cast. But Peach doesn't need to avoid the hitbox. While she is dairing the usmash will not hit her. Usmash does not go through her dair. Peach is safe while dairing. Olimar would be kept safe from the dair if Peach is floating at a height where it will not directly hit Olimar. At that height, she can hit anyone with dair if they are taller than Olimar. Which is most of the cast iirc.
I'm not even going to bother replying to this with coherent arguments anymore. If you want to look at my previous two posts, that'll look like what I would post again, because you don't seem to understand it.

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master
Ok, I'll look at those posts.

Again, if you were to even try to do that it would be a mistake and poor spacing on peach's part.
Tell me the correct spacing for a floating Peach. Because you don't seem to know it.

At a height where that is possible peach won't be even able to dair 70% of the cast.
How can Peach not dair 70% of the cast? It's not that high. She can float low enough to hit them but high enough to not hit Olimar.

How don't you understand this?

Llumys

Smash Champion
Fino has 1,337 posts.

(I'll edit this. I just needed to mention it.)

EDIT:

I - I don't know about you guys, but my role in doubles is to stay the hell away from the edges.
II - Less camping, more juggling.
III - Meta Knight, Wario, ROB, Marth, Kirby, Peach, Luigi.
IV - I think Olimar should use his partner's strong stages.

KBM

Smash Ace
Olimar falco is a solid team. I was holding down a TV for a while with that combo.

Falco just stands behind olimar SH DLing and Olimar doesnt even have to duck. he just ***** when they get hit by lasers. obviously it wont be the ONLY thing you do, but it definitely works.

Top Bottom