• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Pit

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Pit matchup.

aish

Smash Journeyman
It's...so empty D'8 I'll take away the postlessness 8D!

From my experience smart egg spam works on pit, do it too obviously the pit will start reflecting the eggs with his reflector and arrows are faster than your eggs so have to use them at right times 8D. I think yoshi's should be careful off stage as a pit can easily try to footstool you with his many jumps. Pivot grabbing would work pretty well on pits too...83

...I hoped that helped a bit D8 just kinda typed in w/e popped up xD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Footstool Footstool Footstool. Doesn't really work. Seriously.

I think Pit definitely outcamps. Yoshi'd have to SH and Egg Toss to win that or something, but you can just angle them up. Bair/Jab beats arrows, so that's okay.

I really don't know what to say about this MU. It can be annoying, but it's not really a disadvantage. All I really know is that Pit can't really kill.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Oh, hey aish. I've been seeing a lot of familiar faces posting around here lately. =3

Yeah, footstooling doesn't work on Yoshi as well as most non-Yoshi mains seem to think. We can easily Uair if you get above us, and if we have to use our double jump, we can airdodge to avoid being footstooled. That being said, Pit's multiple jumps would make it easier for him to do it than for most characters, but it can hardly be considered a viable strategy, as intelligent recovery on the Yoshi's part negates that threat.

We can cancel your arrows with Jabs and Bairs, but arrow spam will ultimately force us to approach you. We simply cannot outcamp you; your projectiles are much faster than ours, and you have multiple reflector moves on top of that. Once we get in close, we could probably build up some pretty good damage with our jabs and tilts. I don't know much about Pit's moveset; I know there are a lot of multi-hit moves, and Bair is one of your stronger attacks, but that's about it. I can't say much about Pit's close-range game, but I get the feeling he wants to keep Yoshi out of his face.

As for pivot grabs, they're a very good reason Pit probably doesn't want to approach Yoshi.

Does anybody have good match-up experience against Pit? Pretty much all we've got so far is theory craft... V.V

:005:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, I played this one on WiFi, so I guess I can get some basics out there. >_>''

Let's see. We need to approach, because arrows are gay. Bair will wipe them out as you approach, so that's nice.

His jab has two different versions, a more normal 3 part attack, and one that's a multi-attack. The multi-hitting one has some weird knockback and it kind of sucks you into it so you'll take some damage. His ftilt has some nice range to it. Dtilt is short range I believe, and utilt... Well, I don't know much about it other than it's two kicks or something. The tilts have some end lag, and ftilt has some start up lag as well.

As for the air game, Pit's got some nasty attacks. You cannot attack him from above, he'll just uair you and it's annoying. Nair also beats air dodges if you're trying to come in straight down, so make sure you're moving pretty quickly if you're dodging. Dair has nice range but hits you up, Fair also hits the same. Bair is a kill move but it's got terrible range and has to be sweet spotted.

Pit's smashes aren't that great either. Dsmash is annoying, but it's pretty slow. Usmash is okay. Fsmash is annoying but if you're DIing away you can dodge the second hit if you're spaced far enough. It can kill, but it's a pretty bad kill move.

From my little experience, I've just had to approach and keep Pit in the air. He's pretty weak from below, so keep him in the air as long as it's your advantage. You want to stay in Pit's face since most of his closer range moves are slow.

Off stage, we shouldn't have any trouble recovering. We'll probably have to eat some arrows as we return to the stage, but it's not much of a problem. Pit can't really gimp us. We can't really gimp him either, however. I do believe we can do more damage to him off stage, since bair will beat/tie his fair, I think. Pit will most likely shoot some arrows as he recovers, so it's bothersome. The offstage game is pretty boring in this MU. The two will probably just end up firing their projectiles at each other.

He can't really kill well at all, so we should be living to pretty extreme percents. We have an easier time killing him, I believe. We can rack up our needed damage better as well, so it's not a bad MU. Just annoying because it's Pit.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
as for arrows theres certain places u can go where he cant hit u unless he moves so once u found that area where he can hit u(excluding arrow loop) u can get close. im pretty sure his side be outranges our fsmash so u have to punish the move with a grab but its not to common. glide attack and dtilt are some other kill moves because of the flaws in his smashes. glide attack is pretty fast and lagless as u guys know.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
My guess is that the arrow blindspot area is in an area mid-close range with Pit and maybe a full hop's distance in the air.

I forgot about the glair, but I think usmash can beat it. I think you can jump over dtilt, so if you stay more in the air dtilt shouldn't be much of a problem.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
This Matchup is 50-50 imo maybe 55-45 Pits favor for of the edge purposes. They can both rack up damage on each other pretty well but Yoshi has the edge when it comes to killing.

50-50 sounds good

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
Ima pit main and ill throw some tips out there just cuz im nice. WE CAN GIMP YOU! dont underestimate the power of wing renewal. Those invincibility frames dont last forever, and we can stay in the air, off stage, for a pretty long time. so yea, it can happen. Or sometimes A pit might not even bother to try, and just patiently wait for a kill when you get back

staying in a pits face is bad if they start spamming jab and doing Jab based combos. so just be ready for a sheild grab if possible.

A good pit makes arrows your worst nightmare, just be aware. (my aim with them is pretty badass but thats just me). Keep an eye out for a stray arrow, they make openings for combos. I like to fight along side my arrows meaning I attack while my arrow comes in so just watch out. basically, just cuz you see an arrow go bye bye doesnt mean its gone. oh and pits arrows never have a blind spot They're always commin for ya >=P Just kidding, its in a diagonal-up direction for his forhead. but no pit uses arrows that close anyways. No pit really does this, but just to help, dont powershield arrows. we can still control it when it flies off.. be ready for mindgames via arrow.

Glair has decent range and is a combo starter. I dont think yoshi's big head can beat it. Idk.

Some pits like to space and punish and pits pretty good at that. so figure a way to aproach. using bair to aproach MIGHT work but pits retreating Nair/fair could take it out.

Pits dtilt has some range on it, not as much as Ftilt, but it still does. Never use a running aproach cuz that one will take out your toes it comes out at a decent speed, not that much lag on it.

I've only fought one yoshi and he was pretty good. idk about yoshi egg toss game but maybe it could work? idk.

watch out for Dthrow>bair/uair, but usually bair since most people think uair is comming. UAIR IS A KILL MOVE! the last hit ***** hard. Dair is like a big crescent blade that chops every thing from left to right/right to left. it can kill, but its unlikely.

Pivot grab on pit? Psh they wont let you they'd just force an approach and try to eliminate that as much as possible.

. . . pit can kill might not be the bair or Fsmash or w/e you're used to, but he can kill. Not super great at it but he can kill. If you just happen to be alive after about 150+% dont get grabbed, cuz that will kill too. everyone says so and so has a problem killing, but untill you actually play the character I dont think you should talk about how they can kill, unless its just super obvious that the character can just wipe the floor with you ex: snake. but pit can kill though expecially if you trying to be in his face.

Anyways thats my two cents.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Ima pit main and ill throw some tips out there just cuz im nice. WE CAN GIMP YOU! dont underestimate the power of wing renewal. Those invincibility frames dont last forever, and we can stay in the air, off stage, for a pretty long time. so yea, it can happen. Or sometimes A pit might not even bother to try, and just patiently wait for a kill when you get back
How exactly would u plan to gimp a yoshi offstage as yoshis know thats his super armor is not alway to best way to go and double jump airdodges or rising bairs or upairs are usually a better option. yea like i said waiting on the stage firing arrows will help u more

staying in a pits face is bad if they start spamming jab and doing Jab based combos. so just be ready for a sheild grab if possible.
we can also pivot grab, down b, egg lay. yoshi doesnt really have jab based combos there jab is a more of a "get out of my face" move, a yoshi doesnt want to be too close

A good pit makes arrows your worst nightmare, just be aware. (my aim with them is pretty badass but thats just me). Keep an eye out for a stray arrow, they make openings for combos. I like to fight along side my arrows meaning I attack while my arrow comes in so just watch out. basically, just cuz you see an arrow go bye bye doesnt mean its gone. oh and pits arrows never have a blind spot They're always commin for ya >=P Just kidding, its in a diagonal-up direction for his forhead. but no pit uses arrows that close anyways. No pit really does this, but just to help, dont powershield arrows. we can still control it when it flies off.. be ready for mindgames via arrow.
arrows are a pain=/ i just kinda airdodge my way in, pits arrows are hard to deal with. bair is not always to relable

Glair has decent range and is a combo starter. I dont think yoshi's big head can beat it. Idk.
im pretty sure pivot grab outranges it by alittle, but ur glair is a good attack

Some pits like to space and punish and pits pretty good at that. so figure a way to aproach. using bair to aproach MIGHT work but pits retreating Nair/fair could take it out.
approachin is haarrddd, idk what to say

Pits dtilt has some range on it, not as much as Ftilt, but it still does. Never use a running aproach cuz that one will take out your toes it comes out at a decent speed, not that much lag on it.
i agree, but it kinda hard to approach from the ground cause a lack of consistent powershielding

I've only fought one yoshi and he was pretty good. idk about yoshi egg toss game but maybe it could work? idk.
egg toss will probably be used when u guys are in the air when u short hop or doing the odd up b thingy

watch out for Dthrow>bair/uair, but usually bair since most people think uair is comming. UAIR IS A KILL MOVE! the last hit ***** hard. Dair is like a big crescent blade that chops every thing from left to right/right to left. it can kill, but its unlikely.
if u utilize his kill moves u should have less trouble

Pivot grab on pit? Psh they wont let you they'd just force an approach and try to eliminate that as much as possible.
pivot grabs are move for ur dairs or glide attacks

. . . pit can kill might not be the bair or Fsmash or w/e you're used to, but he can kill. Not super great at it but he can kill. If you just happen to be alive after about 150+% dont get grabbed, cuz that will kill too.
he can kill but its just his kill moves are a lil slow, being able to di out of fsmash helps so we shuold now how to do it. but we also are not consistent at killin until 140%

Anyways thats my two cents.
staying in that mid range where pit has to relay on close combat, bair combes into stuff, chasing with d throws cause his aireals are pivot grab worhty, a very campy pit is frustrating

so i guess that 4 cents for ya

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Something on the g-air:

Whether Yoshi can beat it with his pivot-grab/up-smash or not depends on the angle Pit is gliding and his distance from Yoshi. Which angles and which distances we should be aware of I'm not sure, but it's usually safer to shield the attack and roll away/spot-dodge once it hits. It's very powerful and can kill Yoshi at around 130%, so it's not usually worth the risk to beat it out.

I also agree on the 50:50 ratio. Pit outcamps us hard, and his arrows are extremely annoying, but Yoshi is able to nicely deal with him up-close, not to mention that if he's careful he'll live FOREVER.

8 cents. :069:

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
its not that hard to gimp. If yoshi is knocked far enough away, it may be possible to just nair in place after the frames are gone and punish the air dodge. like I said IDK i've only fought one yoshi, thats what I did and it worked thats why I said that =\. OR the lame pit could just angel ring at the edge and hope that you dont sweetspot ledge.

we dont go in the air just to do it, we stay grounded unless you're in the air. And the weird up-b thingy is called a wingdash. It can also stop projectiles (egg) and push you back. good for spacing. if pit does this and comes off stage and gets hit, he can still come back. Doing this allows pit to fly off stage and keep his 3 jumps plus another Up-b

I was saying sheild grab the jabs, because the first and second hits draw you in. but yea, I guess ur pivot grab would work.

Glair has a HYUGE hit box. we can be above you to hit you, pivot grabbing that wont work. egg toss is where its at when you see a pit gliding.

*hands you a dime* there ya go =P

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I lack much Yoshi experience because he is underrated, and too many top tier users around. I think I do rembember a few things.

Pit should have a hard time edgeguarding/gimping Yoshi because of that midair jump with super armor frames. Footstool isnt gonna work, unless it was a bad yoshi. Pit's Angel ring can try to knock him outta the mid-air jump via multiple hits, or a Sweetspotted Pit B-air due to its strong force. The Yoshi can airdodge to easily avoid this, though a Pit can still attack if he predicts this. Mindgames and prediction come to this part.

Pit's reflectors (especially Mirror Shield) have a rough time with the eggs. If an egg pops near Pit before the egg itself hits him, the blast radius might still hit Pit. Mirror Shield's better off to be used against a Yoshi Side-B (that not many Yoshis use now-a-days) in attempts to make him fall off the stage and kill himself.

Good and smart Pits can do F-throw to Stutterstep Fsmash (roughly 0-30% combo) to a Yoshi, or actually can do it to anyone except an Up-Bing Marth, so if a Pit tries to grab at the beginning of your stocks, you may expect this.

Yoshi and Pit have similar ranges, though I think Yoshi's a bit better, and this may be the one matchup of which I think F-tilt can be good due to its reach.

I dont think Yoshi can CG Pit, can he? Pit normally has an F-throw CG, works best on large and fastfalling chars, I forgot if Pit can do it to Yoshi.

Yoshi is quite heavy, and will take Pit some time to KO him, but Yoshi also has some sort of KOing problems of his own (besides spiking).

I would kinda put this on 50/50 even on the matchup. Though I kinda forgot some stuff since I havent played a Yoshi in a while... well, a good one anyways.

inb4metatitantrollsme

^ I say this since Metatitan tends to troll me in one way, including bashing me for being a Wifi Pit and that I'm not an Offline person (you don't wanna know). He's gonna find this post sooner or later.
Anyways, hope I helped a bit, and correct me if a few things seem wrong (Not you Meta...).

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Name = mindgames

You have my official seal of approval.

inb4metatitantrollsme

^ I say this since Metatitan tends to troll me in one way, including bashing me for being a Wifi Pit and that I'm not an Offline person (you don't wanna know). He's gonna find this post sooner or later.
Anyways, hope I helped a bit, and correct me if a few things seem wrong (Not you Meta...).
I'm expecting Metatitan to not respond to this as if it were a personal attack directed at him. Please tell me my expectations are not ill-founded and that if you post anything it will be about the matchup. :D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:yoshi: Name = mindgames

You have my official seal of approval.

I'm expecting Metatitan to not respond to this as if it were a personal attack directed at him. Please tell me my expectations are not ill-founded and that if you post anything it will be about the matchup. :D

For the first part, let's say I was a Bowser user at the beginning, and now I mained Pit for a year.
For the expectations, everything's fine. And BTW, if you know a bit bout the matchup too, I'd like to know a few things so it will benefit me the next time I play a Yoshi, so I wont relive some major humuliation, like that time I played this really good Ike and got hurt badly since Ike isnt common, especially the good ones.

Maybe Poltergust and the other experienced Yoshis can help me understand the matchup more in case an random yoshi pops up.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Why bring any personal drama into these discussions? You make it seem like you WANT to be trolled lol.

Anyhoo the only example of a yoshi vs. pit in tourny I've seen was Pride's yoshi vs. Azen's pit. Idk what pit mains will be at genesis but I'll try to arrange some matches (preferably having Bwett fight them).

Coffee™

I need it....
Something on the g-air:

Whether Yoshi can beat it with his pivot-grab/up-smash or not depends on the angle Pit is gliding and his distance from Yoshi. Which angles and which distances we should be aware of I'm not sure, but it's usually safer to shield the attack and roll away/spot-dodge once it hits. It's very powerful and can kill Yoshi at around 130%, so it's not usually worth the risk to beat it out.

Pit's Glide Attack has more range than either Yoshi's Usmash or Pivot Grab. If he doesn't space it well it's easy enough to Usmash him though. Shielding it is probably Yoshi's best option like you said. It shouldn't ever kill Yoshi at 130 unless you DI it badly though.

I also agree on the 50:50 ratio. Pit outcamps us hard, and his arrows are extremely annoying, but Yoshi is able to nicely deal with him up-close, not to mention that if he's careful he'll live FOREVER.
Imo Pit wins something like 60:40. Yoshi can't out camp him and has to approach for one and tbh Yoshi's approches vs Pit aren't that great. Yoshi kills Pit with Usmash around 130% or so with good DI iirc while Pit should kill Yoshi around 150% with Fsmash. Bair would probably kill around 110-120%. Either way he doesn't live "forever".

On another note Pit, can gimp Yoshi out of his DJ if he catches him with AR far enough off the stage as AR outlasts the Super Armor on his jump. At that point it more or less depends on if you can get back with his Egg Throw and DI. Just throwing that out there as well

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Pit's Glide Attack has more range than either Yoshi's Usmash or Pivot Grab. If he doesn't space it well it's easy enough to Usmash him though. Shielding it is probably Yoshi's best option like you said. It shouldn't ever kill Yoshi at 130 unless you DI it badly though.
I agree.

Imo Pit wins something like 60:40. Yoshi can't out camp him and has to approach for one and tbh Yoshi's approches vs Pit aren't that great. Yoshi kills Pit with Usmash around 130% or so with good DI iirc while Pit should kill Yoshi around 150% with Fsmash. Bair would probably kill around 110-120%. Either way he doesn't live "forever".

On another note Pit, can gimp Yoshi out of his DJ if he catches him with AR far enough off the stage as AR outlasts the Super Armor on his jump. At that point it more or less depends on if you can get back with his Egg Throw and DI. Just throwing that out there as well
60:40 Pit is too much imo. I personally believe it's 55:45 at worst for Yoshi.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Add in: The satisfaction you get from an arrow swarm in 2v2 is nice. :]

Coffee™

I need it....
60:40 Pit is too much imo. I personally believe it's 55:45 at worst for Yoshi.
Why? Yoshi doesn't really have much safe ways to rack up damage on Pit and doesn't kill him that much earlier. It also isn't particularly easy for him to land his kill moves in comparison.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
I don't have that much of a problem with this matchup.

Pit has arrows, so approach with b-air, which works amazingly.

He's tough to kill... but I find that being smart with u-air's works, along with side smash, since Pit kinda lacks in close quarters (at least... that's what it seems like to me).

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Pit definitely has Yoshi beat when it comes to camping. He shoots arrows much faster than we can throw eggs. :(

I usually just go Kirby is this match up. :p

If you see pit use the F-air out of the Wing Dash thing, I'd say using the F-smash is your best bet.
It will cause Pit's attack to miss since Yoshi pulls his head back when doing so (depending on how close you are to Pit.) Pivot grab works too. ;)

Top Bottom