• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Toon Link

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Toon Link matchup.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So yeah, I don't like this MU.

Let me start off by saying Boomerang is so gay. I hate it. With a passion. It interrupts combos when returning. It presents pressure, and it helps the TL return safely to the ground. A lot of the time a wall was put up from a dropping bomb and a Boomerang toss as I tried to chase, which really halted my progress. It can also be used to get us away from the ledge as they're trying to get up. It's just really useful.

At long range, it's really a toss-up about who wins. If you get hit by a SHDA and can't keep up, you're going to lose at long range. If you keep deflecting projectiles along with egging, Yoshi will win at long range. When TL begins to approach, I've seen a lot of SHADs with zair. Boomerang may also fall into the mix, along with some SHDA or just that lagless arrow thing when landing. If you try to bair when TL gets close, you'll eat a zair. Same thing should you be approaching.

Mid range, I believe TL dominates. Boomerang, the lagless arrow shot, some bombs, bair, fair, nair, zair. You either want to stay far away or be right up in TL's face the entire time. You will get overwhelmed at midrange.

At close range, Yoshi will want to use quick attacks while grounded. If any attack that's not jabbed gets shielded, you're going to get punished. If you get TL into the air and knock him high up, he can DJ and pull a bomb, throw it downwards, and continue drifting, then throw his boomerang angled at you. It's quite a wall that's hard to be beat, so I took to resetting with eggs when this happened. If you knock TL off the stage, he's quite hard to gimp, so pressure with eggs and bait an airdodge, then punish.

If you should be recovering, recover high so you're not being ***** by projectiles, or recover low for similar reasons. If you get onto the ledge, be careful with your ECE, since arrows can get you. I found that ledge dropping and returning with rising bairs worked to negate the projectiles so I could get back to the stage.

They both have a hard time killing the other, if they're both careful. We can land some nice hits by baiting airdodges as they're off the stage for the kill. I managed to land some uair kills at around 150 from below FD. You can punish landings with Fsmash if they're not facing you, otherwise they'll AD then zair.

TL can kill with his smashes, utilt, uair. Uair lasts for a long while and eats air dodges. Utilt and usmash can be linked through a zair set up, so be careful about that. Fsmash can kill but you really shouldn't get hit by it much, and I'm not quite sure about dsmash.

Overall, I feel this MU is in TL's favor. I felt like I was working really hard to win when I was playing.

:027:

bigman40

Smash Master
The most trouble a TL can do to us (I haven't been able to find a way around it) is always autocanceling an arrow. **** THAT **** SOO ****ING MUCH >.<

Chaco

Never Logs In
So. It's settled then? TL is an annoying MU. Let's go get pizza.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I personally think the grab game is still the same as fight the regular Link.

The best thing you should do (IMO) when Toon Link gets close, is to possibly powshield the Hookshot and then jab him.
I hope this helps..

Hyro

Smash Lord
Aerial to arrow? Two things.

If you guys are playing online, don't try to stop Toon Link. He can't be stopped.

But every character in the game can equally handle constant aerials to arrow.

Power shield to shield, or if you're good enough, powershield to powershield.

Simply tilt the control stick to walk forward and press L. Wait. L. Wait. Then attack. Too easy.

Remember, whenever you see Toon Link touch the ground, he's probably gonna shoot an arrow, so that's more than enough warning to get ready to powersheild. And usually we'll aeiral (nair) right afterward, so sheild again and approach.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I personally think the grab game is still the same as fight the regular Link.

The best thing you should do (IMO) when Toon Link gets close, is to possibly powshield the Hookshot and then jab him.
I hope this helps..
This font is a killer on the eyes tone it down plz

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Aerial to arrow? Two things.

If you guys are playing online, don't try to stop Toon Link. He can't be stopped.

But every character in the game can equally handle constant aerials to arrow.

Power shield to shield, or if you're good enough, powershield to powershield.

Simply tilt the control stick to walk forward and press L. Wait. L. Wait. Then attack. Too easy.

Remember, whenever you see Toon Link touch the ground, he's probably gonna shoot an arrow, so that's more than enough warning to get ready to powersheild. And usually we'll aeiral (nair) right afterward, so sheild again and approach.
One thing, though. Yoshi's shield drops slower than all other shields, so it's not a valid approach. That doesn't work very well.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Oooh, didn't know that. Wow that's great to know for the TL matchup lol.

Maybe a bair approach would cancel our arrows out?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Bair will beat boomerang and arrows. The only problem is that if the arrow is autocanceled, you can punish the bair with a zair or some other aerial. I'm not quite sure on which aerial beats what, but I believe TL has some aerials that can beat bair.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Sorry guys...This is a REALLY bad matchup for yoshi. A lot of characters really on their shield for us...You guys....well...ya know

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
We all know. We hate it.

I find that I take a lot of damage fast. The only bearable thing I've been able to find is that it's not incredibly easy for TL to kill us, not that Yoshi has it any easier.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I would say this match up is 65-35 TL. Mainly because if we camp you hard, there's not much you can do. If we dont play like that, 60 40 TL.

auroreon

Smash Ace
This is my personal worst matchup. I find every character in the game FAR easier to fight than Tlink. G&W, Marth... bring it on, but not Toonm Link. I hate him so very very much. I don't just hate fighting him, I hate everything about him. I hate the cel-shadsing style for Zelda games, I hate the way Tlink is called "Toon Link" and not "Cel-Shaded Link" or something. I hate that Young Link was taken out of the game and replaced with Tlink.
I hate Tlink so much that I think it affects how I play against him. I consistently get 3 stocked by good Tlinks whereas I can come reasonably close to beating one of the top 5 players in the country who mains Marth.
For me personally, the MU against TLink is 80:20.

I will offer one very valuable piece of advice against Tlink though, you want to shield past the torrent of projectiles, but dashing into the shield doesn't work because Yoshi won't shield untill the initial dash animation is over...
However, you can just DT into shield instead.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
so many projectils O.O *shivvers*
well i personally like goin on pkmn stadium 2 because the easiest way for me to apprach him is comin down at a diagonal angle with a bair or jump from a ledge and come down and the changes in the field distrupt tink projectile barrage of gayness.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Bwett kills me pretty easily with a jab canceled down B.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I can beat bwetts yoshi without much trouble. I think he's just gonna go DDD on me in the future. I think this is a pretty bad match up for yoshi.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Bair - Backwards Aerial.
Zair - Tether aerial. Only the Link's and Samus have a zair, which is accomplished by pressing grab in midair. The characters will use their tether recoveries as an attack.
U/F/D - Up/Forward/Down

There are a lot more, but yeah.

Also, what part of Jersey are you from?

Anyhow, this MU is extremely bad and annoying. The projectiles break up a lot of our processes and we don't have a very easy time dealing with them and making progress. I'm not quite sure what to do, other than what I've been doing to beat this one TL I know, though granted it's WiFi.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
TL is nothing but a beast period. He has something for every situation. a good TL v Yoshi pwns. Im not gonna get into it since there aint much you can do.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I would say this match up is 65-35 TL. Mainly because if we camp you hard, there's not much you can do. If we dont play like that, 60 40 TL.
This. Toon Link's projectiles are hard to get around, and his Zair makes things even worse for Yoshi. And Toon Link also has more range and priority on most attacks (especially in the air).

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
zair isnt too bad to deal with arrows and boomaranges are worse tho i find it annoying how often zair to grab works tho. close range is the only place to fight him as zair and his other goodies he pulls under his skirt to controll ur distance at mid range. camping really doesnt work, eggs should be used to stop his projectile storm and creat an opening, or punish the pattern in his short hop boomarange, land arrow, jump geta bomb, glide toss, and throw ina zair or nair, den rinse and repeat. up smash and fsmash kill, i think u can di outta dsmash at higher percents. i try to come down diagonaly at toon link and make a guessin game with descending egg lays and bairs. cp smart to stop projectile storm, yea this match up is realllly hard. if he had a longer sword it would be exactly like fighting a marth with GOOD projeciltess

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
I find just staying in the air, avoiding the projectiles, is the bet strategy.

But yeah, autocancelled arrows piss me off.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
idk but i keep fighting gay tinkerbells where they projectils with occaision bair combinations until im at 160 then i die from an up tilt no even up smash but most kills are from up tilt i would like to know how not to projectile rapped ='[

MJG

Smash Hero
He can powershield, but putting the shield down takes too long and you can't really do it consistently.
So you guys basically cant do anything OoS?

Anyways..i feel as if this is in our favors. You guys can out camp us at a decent distance.

Im pretty aware of most of the follow ups like Bair to a Smash attack (dont remember which one)

55:45 or 60:40 toonlink

Yoshi will be killing more vertically or horizontally? This is a definite factor in this match up (although it wont help much)

I know to ban Distant Planet on a yoshi...ive been completely wrecked on this stage.

Sorry if anything seems jumbled...im barely awake @.@

Pick up marth for the match up :laugh:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Our OoS options are very limited and easily punishable. We can't even jump. >_<

Between Uair, Usmash, and Down B, Yoshi is much more of a vertical KOer. We've got moves like Fsmash and Nair for Horizontal KOs, but they're a lot harder to land for KOs.

Also, if we resorted to secondaries every time we encountered a 55:45 or 60:40 match-up, nobody would main Yoshi. =P

:005:

Top Bottom