• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-Axis workings...?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7733456&postcount=1

Masky posted this a couple of days ago in the Pokemon Trainer subforum.

tl;dr--

There appears to be a Z-Axis that affects how vulnerable a character's hitbox is. For example, ROB and Dedede have spotdodges where a portion of their body goes into the background, so even when they lose invincibility at the end of the animation, many moves will not hit their upper bodies.

The sweetspot of Charizard's N-Air (where the opponent catches fire) appears to only hit opponents who exist on both "important" points on the Z-Axis (such as Donkey Kong). Otherwise, you'll never land the sweetspot.
A good example of this is hitting Ice Climbers with the beginning of Charizard's N-Air. Popo will never be sweetspotted, but Nana can be.

While seeing if certain attacks or actions create this situation could be neat, I am mostly concerned about spotdodges that may be able to abuse this. Dedede appears to have among the worst spotdodges in the game when you look at the frame data, but we've all predicted it only to find the move to miss many times over. Perhaps if we find out where we can hit him on his vulnerability frames, it would make punishing easier for everyone.

If this information turns out to be incorrect, I apologize, but I have reason to believe it's all solid, and I want to get this tested...

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Testing would clear this up. Possibly game-breaking I guess. It could change the use of several moves.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It actually makes sense. I'm guessing Lucario's fully-charged Aura Sphere when at high %s, also reaches the 'background' layer at some point... I can't recall the number of times I've airdodged/spotdodged that attack with precision, and it still hits me, whereas other attacks don't and I airdodge/spotdodge them successfully.

It makes sense looking at it from an abstract point of view, since the character's polygon is pulled into the background, where the hitbox of the attack's sprite/animation can't reach... Which would prove that the game isn't single-layered, having only a single 2-dimensional panel where characters' sprites travel through... Meaning some characters get more 'invincibility' frames (they can't be hit at parts of their body due to their polygons being outside the 2d-layer) than they seem they do.

It's just my opinion, though.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Why did you do a Fireball in that situation XD ? Just out of interest...

Anyway nice find if this is true ._.

Sudai

Stuff here
Pause at exactly 0:05 on Masky's vid and you'll see ROB's laser clearly going into Wario's chin and through his head. No hit, no knockback, no damage. A hack that would show us exactly hit boxes and hurt boxes would be wonderful right now so we could figure out exactly where everything is. :x

ook

Smash Lord
I think what everyone is wondering (or at least I am) is, does this still happen on Flat Zone and Hanenbow?

(all characters show up as flat 2D people on those stages)

clowsui

Smash Legend
the z-axis was discovered by michael hey and his associates a while back
i don't believe any extensive testing has been done on it though

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Hurtbox displacement along the Z-axis has played minor role in dodging since at least melee. It's actually really useful to pay attention to what happens to your own hurtboxes during moves in general. It will yield results like Bowser's Fsmash being used as a counter, as well as Falcon's Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick used in the same manner.

Note that Ness and Lucas have similar qualities in their shield drop animations.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah...

Lucas moves into the z-axis when charging his forward smash, towards the end frames of the charge animation.

Too bad Ness doesn't...

Timbers

check me out
This is part of the reason why Wario's nair is so amazing.
I thought it was just because he smooshed himself lol.

I've seen a lot of this Z-axis stuff but I just assumed that the hurtbox became disjointed from the actual sprite. I guess it accomplishes the same assumptions as the sprite moving into the background but yeah.

What sucks for Lucario is all of his moves are really flat lol. He has all these lingering properties but I have never seen them be able to abuse the "Z-axis," and he doesn't have any moves that will move him into it either, save for possibly fsmash.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
He only smooshes himself when he hits the floor... and come to think of it, he may have gone entirely into the Z-axis when that happened that one time your fully charged aurasphere went over me, Timbers XD

The noise he makes is cool too :D

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Well it kinda makes me wonder what shape the hitboxes are for xx characters. Especially multi hit and disjointed hit boxes

Jupz

Smash Master
This explains a lot of things, such as why moves go through the first few frames of Lucarios counter, and why snakes mortar slide sometimes goes through people :) Interesting read.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
He only smooshes himself when he hits the floor... and come to think of it, he may have gone entirely into the Z-axis when that happened that one time your fully charged aurasphere went over me, Timbers XD

The noise he makes is cool too :D

Yeah I missed Slikvik with Peaches Pivot Grab because of this. Her Pivot Grab has massive range.

Also someone in Melee discovered that you could dodge Falco's lasers with a part of ganon's forward B

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah I missed Slikvik with Peaches Pivot Grab because of this. Her Pivot Grab has massive range.

Also someone in Melee discovered that you could dodge Falco's lasers with a part of ganon's forward B
I haven't played melee in the longest time but from what I remember all projectiles go through Ganon and CF's during their side b. At least Samus charge shots anyway.

sasook

Smash Champion
What I'm curious is how this affects characters who have a "set" direction for their spot dodge, such as Marth or Link. If they face left, they move forward and back, respectively, but when they face right, it reverses for both of them. Does this mean it will only work when the character is facing a certain direction? Does this only work when the character goes back? Will it never work if he "comes out" at you?

Food for thought. If these were answered already, I fail at reading.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Heh. But it'd make you wonder about certain characters' hitboxes for disjointed attacks.

Obviously, not all attacks are as thin as some things, like lasers. Even stranger would be thinking about the moves whose hitboxes do not necessarily make sense nor correspond with their graphics. Can you just assume that their hitboxes are all the same "z-width", or could some moves really have differing 'width' properties to them as well?

why snakes mortar slide sometimes goes through people :) Interesting read.
I'm pretty sure that's probably just mistiming.

and on a more related note...

****'s about to go to other dimensions.

:093:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well it kinda makes me wonder what shape the hitboxes are for xx characters. Especially multi hit and disjointed hit boxes
Snake's utilt:

I would love doing other hitboxes, but there are almost no pictures of character attacks around, much less disjoints.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah...

Lucas moves into the z-axis when charging his forward smash, towards the end frames of the charge animation.

Too bad Ness doesn't...
Ah! THIS is why Yoshi can't dash-grab him while he is charging his f-smash! Thank you for clearing that up!

I've kind of known this z-axis thing for a while, but I never realized how much of an impact it had. Amazing...

:069:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Snake's utilt:

I would love doing other hitboxes, but there are almost no pictures of character attacks around, much less disjoints.
Hitboxes should be an invisable object.
So if we were to give the object some color though texture hacking, then we can get an image of just where the hitbox is.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Doesnt this happen to JigglyPuff during her rest, because that has happened to me so many times when she wiffs one.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Hitboxes should be an invisable object.
So if we were to give the object some color though texture hacking, then we can get an image of just where the hitbox is.
I've talked to Yeroc, and at least one other WBR member, I think, about doing this. Evidently it's conceivable, but looking into it is not yet a priority. Maybe people who aren't preoccupied with B+ could look into it.

Top Bottom