• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Observation on trends in Brawl Re: Olimar

Browny

Smash Hater
Link to original post: [drupal=1912]Observation on trends in Brawl Re: Olimar[/drupal]

[Thread title deliberately missing info to prevent flaming]

When I first got brawl me and my brother effectively banned MK and Snake as we knew they were too good. We wanted to get a feel for all the characters while not getting the wrong impressions of how good/bad they are based on some matchups vs the two obviously top characters. To this list we also added Olimar. We weren't very good at the time so his cstick spam was unbeatable :p My first tier list in April had Olimar in his own 'broken as f**k tier' and claims of olimar being top tier were laughable. As time goes on I stand by my early claim of Olimar being top tier and over the past few months ive observed many things which I believe indicate this may indeed be true. Not now, but sometime in the future I still believe he will be top tier.

Its not all just my biased claims though and bad experiences vs Olimar which leads me to think this. Allow me to divulge.

In the early MU threads everyone has the advantage on olimar. Hes so easy to gimp, dies at 50% every stock. This rapidly changed once people actually played against olimar. Whistle armor, uair and proper DI had many Olimar players rarely getting gimped at all and the best players proved it. In a very short space of time his major weakness was proven not to be so detrimental after all. It still affects him greatly but people accepted getting him offstage is a seriously hard task. Some seriously damaging combos are also found with him being able to combo most heavies up to 40%+ and even lightweights, if he reads an AD correctly anyone can take huge damage from his extremely easy to land combos from his grab. Olimar is looking dangerous.

Then came the period of 'perfect camping'. With people mastering pivot grabs and spacing, could it be possible to defeat every enemy without ever being hit? Full-blown camping strategies begin to bring his matchups vs Metaknight and Falco close to even. Although not feasible entirely, his camping strategies become no joke and most characters are now no longer figuring out how to get him offstage, getting past his pivot grab is the new aim.

And then the period of what I call realisation. Characters who assumed to have a large advantage vs Olimar actually play vs good Olimar players can come to the realisation that getting past his camping is a lot more than putting theory into practice. Many of his matchups as discussed by other boards begin to state that "Olimar is much harder than we thought"

I read through almost all character matchup threads on a very regular basis and a common theme is developing. Olimar is harder than what is currently listed. From the bottom of the tiers with jiggly, ganon etc claiming a nigh unwinnable MU vs him to the top of top tier with Snake and DDD admitting a sizeable disadvantage to Olimar and MK/diddy/wario being very close to even. I dont think Ive read a single character MU thread without at least one mention of Olimar being a candidate for hardest matchup. This observation is becoming more and more common as time goes on, I believe it will continue as people get more experience vs a wider variety of players and realise this for themselves.

So in summary, my observations;
Olimar shoots up tier list rapidly after proving what hes capable of.
Boasts advantages of near even matchups vs almost all of top tier.
Is a candidate for the hardest MU for an extremely wide variety of characters. From DDD, Snake, Diddy, Lucario, Toon Link, Sonic, Sheik, Ike... the list goes on.

IMO, a character with those sort of traits is top tier. Snake, Wario, Diddy etc do not even come close to boasting the amount of hardest matchups that olimar does. In some ways it looks to me like he is the melee sheik. He may not have the potential to win major tournaments, but he invalidates the majority of the cast to a much larger degree than any other top tier character except MK. In this respect he is similar to Marth, except he boast an advantage agasint D3 and Snake with a disadvantage to MK which is worth a lot in the current Brawl metagame, hence Marths current placement. I still believe Olimar will be top tier by the time brawl is finished (MK Snake/IC's Olimar for top 4) and if these trends continue, it may be sooner than we think :/

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I really, really don't like Olimar.
I agree that he's one of the best characters in the game. Still, lucky that he's a rarer threat than others.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
We should extirminate this threat, right now.
Either MLG closes down Olimar boards or we all switch to Blue Glove Olimar.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
he invalidates the majority of the cast to a much larger degree than any other top tier character except MK
Characters that are "invalidated" by Meta Knight:
R.O.B., Captain Falcon, Samus

Are you sure these characters don't have almost as hard matchups than the one with Meta Knight?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I hate even seeing an olimar play. It's like the same few moves over and over. And he looks so dumb. =_=

The "lol just get him offstage" thing is laughable because it's hard to even get him there and the first place.

Browny

Smash Hater
huh?
what do you mean, do those characters have other matchups as hard as MK (not olimar)?

-------Placeholder post--------
So Im gonna try and compile a list proving my points... starting with Olimars overall matchups, as rated by other boards and compare them to other top tier characters. Nothing I write here is personal bias, all examples from those character mainers. If I have seen some mention of him being the worst MU on a character boards, it will be mentioned. In the case of not a clear enough result at the end of a MU discussion (as in, a wide variety of numbers thrown around before an agreement is reached) Ill let it go for now

:bowser2: Disadvantage MU
:falcon: Heavy disadvantage MU
:diddy: Suggested worst MU
:dk2: Disadvantage MU
:falco:
:fox: Disadvantage MU
:gw: Advantage
:ganondorf: Almost unwinnable MU, not worst
:popo: ??? grab moar
:ike: Debatable worst MU
:jigglypuff: Debatable worst MU
:dedede: Disadvantage MU, not worst
:kirby2: Debatable worst MU
:link2: Heavy disadvantage MU
:lucario: Debatable worst MU
:lucas:
:luigi2: Advantage
:marth: Advantage
:mario2: Disadvantage MU
:metaknight: Advantage
:ness2: Advantage
:olimar:
:peach: Advantage
:pikachu2: Disadvantage MU
:pit: Disadvantage MU
:pt:
:rob: Advantage MU
:samus2: Heavy disadvantage MU
:shiek: Heavy disadvantage MU
:snake: Debatable worst MU
:sonic: Debatable worst MU
:toonlink: Debatable worst MU
:wario:
:wolf: Advantage
:yoshi2: Disadvantage MU
:zelda: Heavy disadvantage MU
:zerosuitsamus:

This is by no means finalised or anything, it will change.
However we see that Olimar has
7 Debatable worst MU
6 Heavy advantages (1 debated)
8 advantages
0 even
8 disadvantages

bobson

Smash Lord
Mario's nair goes through almost everything Olimar has. :3

Incidentally, is it OH-li-mahr or AW-li-mahr?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
huh?
what do you mean, do those characters have other matchups as hard as MK (not olimar)?
R.O.B. has almost as much trouble with Zero Suit Samus or Game & Watch than he has with Meta Knight.
And I mean come on. Seriously? Samus and Captain Falcon? Do you think they'd be more viable without Meta? :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do you think they'd be more viable without Meta? :p
Well, if you remove the most prominent character, who happens to **** them, then they probably do become more viable.

All depends on their matchups with the other characters too, but the whole metagame would shift dear child of mine.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The only character made unviable by MK is Marth, everyone he beats hard is already terrible and doesn't matter.
Not even that. Neo beat Dojo and MikeHAZE beat Tyrant and regularly beat DSF, so I'm doubting a lot that Marth is being beaten by Meta Knight so badly.

Meta Knight does not make any character more unviable than the rest of the cast. He invalidates practically noone.
Snake beats all of the characters who have Meta Knight as one their worst matchups just as bad, if not harder.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Not even that. Neo beat Dojo and MikeHAZE beat Tyrant and regularly beat DSF, so I'm doubting a lot that Marth is being beaten by Meta Knight so badly.

Meta Knight does not make any character more unviable than the rest of the cast. He invalidates practically noone.
Snake beats all of the characters who have Meta Knight as one their worst matchups just as bad.
It's supposedly 65/35, I never really cared because I play Kirby so I'm on the receiving end of his annoying ****.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'd say it's 60:40 at worst. If Meta Knight would beat Marth so extremely hard as 65:35, I doubt that his players would beat some of the best Meta Knights in the States. =P

But I hate him, too. Don't worry. Just as much as I hate Olimar - to get this back on topic.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You can't actually come out and say stuff like that until the Metagame is Meta free, do ho ho.

But really, you can't, and also, that should never be done.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace

Snake beats all of the characters who have Meta Knight as one their worst matchups just as bad, if not harder.
ROB is terrible vs MK but arguably beats Snake.

Browny

Smash Hater
yeah... DDD's FAR worse matchup is Olimar LOL! (I know ICs are, but Oli is still one of the hardest :p)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend

actually tyrant ***** me most of the time

Top Bottom