• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link in Teams Pair #1: King Dedede

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I saw this at other character boards and decided we should have one too. Lets discuss possible strategies, combos, and things these characters can do together. We'll be starting with:

The King! King Dedede.

Ill start the discussion with findings of my own :).
Yesterday, I paired in teams with ling ling ( a DDD) and we discovered that after a dthrow on a chain grab'able opponent our jab stops them cold and DDD can regrab them in the same place O_O. Also, zair combos into DDD's dsmash. And he can dthrow someone close to the ledge to our down air and it will combo.

Also some questions to answer and make it easier to contribute:
1-What can the team do together?
2-What are the teams' weaknesses?
3-What is the role of both of these characters in the team? (support, aggro, stock holder, finisher, damage racker, etc.)
4-How well do the character compliment each others weaknesses?

TheJerm

Smash Champion
With DDD, all of there team options are based off DDDs grab. Also basic things like a throw into DDD's uptilt is useful. I've only teamed with DDD once, so I cant say much here =/

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
This is... interesting.

. . .

Well anyways: Grab>pummel>grab release>D3's CG imo.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I don't really find teaming with D3 as successful as teaming with others for example Snake. but D3 does serve a useful purpose.

I mean generally I would think we'd control the stage while D3 kinda. does. D3 off stage, the only problem I'm really seeing happening with both of you, is if a Falco is on the opposing team.

I don't really team with D3's on a normal basis, I'll be able to contribute more if we have a discussion about Snake, but most of the thing D3 does with us, D3 usually does with everybody else.

Though I herd if you can get it at low percents. CG -> Dsmash gimp -> D3 swallow works pretty well for those 2v1 situations.

MJG

Smash Hero
I don't really find teaming with D3 as successful as teaming with others for example Snake. but D3 does serve a useful purpose.

I mean generally I would think we'd control the stage while D3 kinda. does. D3 off stage, the only problem I'm really seeing happening with both of you, is if a Falco is on the opposing team.

I don't really team with D3's on a normal basis, I'll be able to contribute more if we have a discussion about Snake, but most of the thing D3 does with us, D3 usually does with everybody else.

Though I herd if you can get it at low percents. CG -> Dsmash gimp -> D3 swallow works pretty well for those 2v1 situations.
Wow thats really good

Too bad i team with fino..even though he mains grab, he refuses to learn DDD lol....DDD does well basically on any stage in teams...especially BF and Delfino

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
With TL/DDD its generally better to just dthrow jab infinite instead of the usual release regrab. And good players get out of grabs too soon so its damage output is limited as opposed to the dthrow jab infinite ;). And remember that regrabbing with TL takes a lot of precision and observation since it comes out in frame 12 :/ u can mess up sometimes and if u miss there goes the combo.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
man, do we really need this? =/

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Its a good discussion and its worked in other boards. But here in TL boards it doesnt seem to work :/. U guys dont contribute much like...at all...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
i don't think most people team with a character for their advantages in teams

Alzi

Smash Master
Jono and I somtimes do this combo in doubles. We did come up with some neat tricks when it's only one player left like:

Down throw with D3 and shoot a arrow with toon link from a fair distance then d3 grabs again and repeat or down throw to a simple a attack with toon link and d3 grabs again.

We also came up with a finisher down throw with D3 so they go off stage and spike with toon link.

If your up against a character who you can't chain grab you have to go to plan B which is Bairs, up tilits etc with D3 and bairs and nairs with toon link.

I also forgot down throw with D3 too up smash with toon link. I actually like this combo as you can do alot if played well. As for the jobs Dedede plays it calm do what usual Dedede's do which is shield grab down throw etc and toon link racks up damage and waits on the edge while d3 attempts to gimp offstage.

sasukebowser is right aswell we don't really need this unless if you can keep it alive somehow.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
So I noticed with a lot of characters' d-throws (ddd's included) they will throw the opponent on the ground and attack them. For instance D3, being fat, just sits on them. And with a lot of these attacks, TL can get in a d-tilt or d-smash which hits the opponent during the throw animation but doesn't interrupt it.

I don't have a wii atm so I can't test this, but is there any way to get that free hit in and still follow up? It'd be a free 8-10% added on to whatever else there is

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Personally I think D3 would just get in the way of our projectiles, plus his waddles are annoying, not a good team mate, not for Tink at least.

Ashraf23

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think D3 would just get in the way of our projectiles, plus his waddles are annoying, not a good team mate, not for Tink at least.
But imo in team battles we don't really have to camp that match in 2v2s. At least when I play in teams more of the physical attacks rather then the projectiles. But that's just my play style in teams.

Top Bottom