• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 9 Matchup- Olimar

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
GIMP CITY.

I like this matchup, because Wario can both kill him at low %s and gimp the ever loving **** out of him. I say 55-45 Wario.

Discuss.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend who plays a pretty decent Olimar. I can beat him consistently, but I'm never comfortable fighting him. Olimar is such a strange and small character and I can never tell what move he is doing. Whenever I see him charging a smash I can't tell whether it's an up or a forward and which direction it's going. Since I fight his so often I can predict where the pikman are going.

If I were to ever fight an Olimar with a different play style I would have a hard time winning due to my inability to judge which move is coming out. So barring that there a few tips I can give for the matchup.
  • Get him off stage. It should mean an easy kill, just avoid the spike.
  • Your up air out ranges his spike so use it to rack up damage. It's much easier to kill him sideways than upward.
  • He has a grab release combo. Haven't witnessed it yet, but he has a great grab range (which changes depending on the pikman he has out Bee Tee Dub) so once you are in kill range you're pretty Effed.
  • Offstage? Chase Chase Chase!!!

I have some questions though I hope someone can answer:
  • If you have a pikman on you what's the most effective way to shake it?
  • Do pikman have some type of life %? Will a certain attack instantly kill one?
  • Are there any good ways to strip Olimar of all of his soldiers?
  • Sometime recovering Olimars pikman just randomly don't listen. Is there a way to do this consistantly.
Also on the matchup I agree, 55:45 in Wario's favor.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
I Do not know too much, but......
1. You can DI out of his u-air, nair, & u-tilt.
2. He cannot grab release, but he can do a painful combo on you.
3. be aware that olimar WILL grab a lot.
4. Fair poking is pretty useful in this matchup as long if you're careful.
5. I believe the half waft can KO him around 55%.
6. His up-b is not punishable. A good player would cancel his landing lag somehow.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Pikmin are easily removable via dair and nair. Be VERY careful about wafting when pikmin are latched to you, b/c it will delay it, and you can be hit out of it or have it shielded easier.

All our moves will beat out all of their uncharged pikmin moves, but will lose out to all his pikmin moves.

He racks damage like a monster, and is one of the few characters that can kill us early, but we can kill him even earlier via gimps and waft.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
grab release: ive done tests on every character and i know this..

as neoX said, there is no way that olimar can grab release, wario ground breaks and olimar cant grab wario off the ledge or platform at all because pikmen cant grab in air and olimar doesnt slide when he grabs.

all i know :( no olimars around me

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Played the best Olimar in our state for a while until he quit. (He was the ROB that beat you in friendlies at FS5 PX). Get Olimar into the air. He has short range aerials and they should be out prioritized by yours. It is possible to D-air through his U-air but it takes some timing. Gimping is only good if you get him far out or below stage level. If he whistles to super armor, fart on it because it will slow your animation until he gets out of his and he will still take the knock back (I killed Olimar in this situaton). I would not suggest chasing him while on the ground and also be wary of his running pivot grab as it can screw with our aerial spacing. Approach from above! Not at an angle from above. Also, use Nair to clear Pikmin off you, faster than D-air i think? More maneuverable and knocks the pikmin far away (usually off stage). Beware of suprise Up-Bs. No fun.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, just misunderstood something PX posted in the Olimar boards. I'll test stuff first hand before propagating it from now on.

Haha, if Wario mashes out he can jump break against you guys and you can do whatever... pretty sure that's the only one you get cuz he stays in place like a ****** when it happens.
But holy ****! Olimar can snatch you out of the air before you ledge magnet. If you have your bike on stage watch out for that (not that you would ever do such a thing).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Ay, he can grab release you, but only if you do it wrong. It's not guaranteed, it relies on the Wario players' mistake.

Nair won't hit them all off, it depends where on you they latch. Dair won't hit them all either.

Shame BWAMP quit... I wanted to vs him again now that I have ROB experience.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
He can grab you off the bike. It's really very obnoxious.

After some testing I can say with certainty the best moves to remove pikman are the up air and up B. Obviously the up air is nice because it doesn't leave you too vulnerable, but the strange thing up B throws his pikman to the top of the stage without killing them. On FD there is a enough time for them to come back without dying, but on stages like Japes the white ones fall too slow and die of separation.

If I had to guess I would say it takes 4 seconds for it to die. This seems like a cool suprise strategy. If you play an Olimar on Japes or any stage with a big ceiling, get 3 or 4 pikman on you, use up B and you get a few seconds to gimp him while he has no recovery.

I've been searching for game mechanics to contribute for a few weeks now. This is the first thing I've ever discovered. I'm quite happy with myself.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Olimar gets straight ***** on JJ. When he hits the water, all his non-Blue Pikmin die, which basically means he's ****ed. On the flipside of this, however, it's a relatively big stage with ridiculous ceilings. Which means no Uair kills for us, but also no Usmash kills for him. Olimar can also camp like hell there. But if you can get around that, it's the same old song. Gimp, gimp, gimp.

Padô

Smash Lord
This matchup is confortable, our moves can go through his Uair and USmash which rack damage the most and his smashes too. If you are stupid you'll get grabbed very easily here, but if you use your dair wisely he will grab you 2-3 times a stock, its a small amount since snake gets 8-9 grabs per stock.

If you grab him near the ledge and EG well its a stock loss for him no matter the percentage. Waft will kill this camper around 60% 70%, 55% is too low.

Bite his whistles and DO NOT BITE on the ground he'll grab you and PWNNNN your *** for realZZ. SH aerials will result in a pivot grab for him too. Bike guard is awesome here because when the pikmin hits the bike it loses its hitbox, so, throw the bike and go ahead for it, its not better than being on the air but is a nice aproach.

His Air Dodge is ********, so easy to punish AND he's got a slow fastfall (smells like Uairs...).

Your Ftilt is useless here. Pressure his shield and him too and this will be a piece of cake.

55-45 Wario OR 60-40 Wario.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Ftilt isn't useless, it can hit him out of a grab as he'll pulling you to him, it's just a lot less abusable than in most other matchups.

I'm not giving numbers b/c I'm going to be playing Fino come Oh Snap... but I've got it as 55:45 Wario for now.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't ftilt after the pikmin from the grab has reached you and is pulling you in. You're immobile at that point. You can start breaking out of the grab the second the pikmin reaches you, though.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Nah, like... if you've already started the ftilt and he grabs you, it will finish the animation and hit Olimar, it's happened to me on more than a few occasions.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah, like... if you've already started the ftilt and he grabs you, it will finish the animation and hit Olimar, it's happened to me on more than a few occasions.
Oh, yeah that works.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i would have to agree with 55/45, there seems to be a slight advantage here, since wario really can control the pace of the match with a good pressure game.

low percent gimps are obviously key here, make use of the bite a lot and the fair, these two will really help you score gimps. The bite is great cuz off of a single jump you can pull them down very far and it pushes them away, usually too far to recover. the best part about the bite is it cuts throught the whistle, which hurts most characters chances to edgeguard them.

Other than good edgeguarding, its a battle on the stage to avoid the pikmin and grabs, which can rack up the damage quick. If your good at the waft placements, this matchup should be pretty easy for you.

also, i feel like upb'ing to get the pikmin off is really risky, at least on fd. I guess if your far enough away and/or near a ledge you could try it, i'll look into it more

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
It was pointed out to me that the whistle brings them back immediately. Sorry, I forgot to correct that. But in any event it seems as if the clap is the most effective way to get rid of pikman. The only problem is that I believe it contributes to stale moves, so maybe focusing on killing Olimar to the sides would be more effective and using clap to kill pikman and rack up damage rather than kills.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Oh, a little trick that I like that I don't see too many people mention. If you have a Pikmin that likes whistling all your gimp attempts, get close to him and hit with strong nair, b/c he'll whistle that but still get hit by the weak hit and then you can continue gimpnig.

And yes, Pikmin contribute to staling moves :( Make sure you don't have one on you when you're wafting b/c it'll delay/extend the hitbox, making it easier for your opponent to shield, as it will hit all the Pikmin before it's hitbox comes out entirely.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Make sure you don't have one on you when you're wafting b/c it'll delay/extend the hitbox, making it easier for your opponent to shield, as it will hit all the Pikmin before it's hitbox comes out entirely.
Combined with the delay from the bike = MIND GAMES!

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
phantom, you'd be surprised how fast an olimar can do another whistle in succession. i wouldn't be at all surprised if they could whistle both parts of the nair with two separate down b's. I've seen olimars whistle every part of snake's nair/dair.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Snakes nair and dair hitboxes take hours in between... some of the easiest moves to SDI in the game, the two Wario nair hitboxes come out in quick succession (and then the weak one lasts forever), there's no time to do another whistle in between... or I would hear less *****ing.

It's not that easy to space yourself right in order to do it, making it situational [but not THAT situational], but it will work if you can be next to him when you do the strong hit as he whistle armors.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i don't know a whole lot about the super armor properties of the whistle, but if they last long enough then the nair hitboxes could possibly come out very quickly (they do as long as theres something to hit) and they could both be eaten by the SA frames. I'll have to look into it, but your right it is situational but could be useful.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I have a short clip in my upcoming Highlight Video (it's about 4 minutes done so far, omg), where I do it on Pirate Ship to knock him into the water.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Sorry the double post but...

Please Fatty Fat Fatso, its the 3rd matchup you appear and just tell numbers, i hope your arguments get a little better and you type some knowledge you have about the specific matchup.
Hurrrmmm:confused: I guess my first post on this topic was not that enlightening? And I do seem to remember posting what I know in any character forum and any specific knowledge about the character before I post a match up number. I have no indication of what people already know about this match up so I just write what I know from my own experiences (which I thought was the point). I guess if you don't like my suggestions Pado, just ignore them? But I definitely do not appear and just tell numbers. If I do (I am guessing you are referring to the Diddy discussion?) then it is because I feel that I have nothing significant to add to the discussion without making it redundant. I do still make an effort to give some input though. I am offended sir! :mad:

P.S. How was playing Affinity?

Top Bottom