• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The CIN Gimp: A Situational Almost-Any%-To-Death

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
My friend never posts on Smashboards, so because he really wanted me to post this here, I'll be the liaison. While he won't admit it, be we know he mains Falcon at heart. We were playing some friendlies a while back when he pulled this combo gimp off against me the first time, and we thought it was an amazing fluke for him to have done it. Fast forward to later that day, when he and I were just playing at my house, and he manages to do it AGAIN, leading to both a boisterous exclamation from both of us (even though I got owned) and curiosity as to whether or not it's legit. It's super situational, and would probably rarely be useful (if ever), but because of the inclusion of a wall spike, we believe this would be a to-death combo from any percent if pulled off correctly (please scrutinize as much as you can! We could very well be wrong). Plankers and ledge-hangers beware!

Without further ado, the CIN Combo Gimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wDIfDC_hA8

P.S.- Formally known as the CIN Combo. Changed by popular demand.

P.S.- He doesn't like that we all started calling it the CIN Combo Gimp, but it was catchy.

As has been mentioned, this combo gimp does not work at lower percents, and the victim can tech the Wall Spike to escape. If they don't tech, it should work.

velasool

Smash Rookie
not to be rude
isnt a combo a string of attacks

btw this was a great edge guard :D

maybe we can call it the CIN Gimp, i presonally call these types of techniques "gutter slamming"

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
not to be rude
isnt a combo a string of attacks

btw this was a great edge guard :D

maybe we can call it the CIN Gimp, i presonally call these types of techniques "gutter slamming"
Well, the string is Sourspot F-Air (Wall Spike) > Footstool. I couldn't do anything to avoid the Footstool, while when he didn't Footstool me I could survive. The inescapable string (therefore combo) is what kills you.

And I'm very afraid to be anywhere near the ledge now while I'm facing him X| Man we went crazy when he did it the second time.

EDIT: Oshi- 300 posts

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Can you tech walls like Battlefield's that are sloped downwards? They're they only ones that will bounce you the right direction. It'd be like teching a DK Cargo Wall Spike.
It can be teched. No doubt.

still pretty nice imo.

Mit

Smash Ace
Pretty nice gimp. Not sure why I never thought of doing that flub knee in the first place. It might not be too hard to get, especially since if your opponent sees you going past them, they're going to be obligated to let off the ledge and chase you for a gimp.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay... CIN Gimp. I can see what you all were saying now.

I honestly did not know if you could tech walls like that or not, so thank you for correcting me. I should've tried against him!

I've added the does-not-work-at-low-percents and the fact that you can wall tech to escape to the OP. Of course, not everyone is going to wall tech all the time (especially the first time they are hit by this; they're not looking for it), so it could be useful as a mix-up.

Zeallyx

A stagespike will finish the opponent at the percents this works around anyway. And if not, edgehog for the KO.

And if you play metaknight (or any other char that may recover at said percents). Dont even attempt this.

No matter how you look at this, the footstool is unessissary.

And the positive reactions this thread has gotten,

Dekar173

Justice Man
Knee, if they land the knee without a tech, the footstool is guaranteed due to the HUGE (relative to Brawl that is :O) amount of hitstun it puts them into. The footstool ONLY sets you up for good things against most of the cast (minus floaties, and those with enormous recoveries).

Use all of the tools at your disposal, including this one. If you find that your opponent is very fond of

FF ledge > DJ > fair

or anything of the like, this can be very useful imo.

OP called it situational for a reason =O

Player-3

Smash Hero
imo you should ask tenki about stage spikes

i hear he stage spiked an olimar with a KNEE
then a falcon punch
in the same match

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
edit: I'm too frustrated to be posting right now.

Ignore this.

Zeallyx

Knee, if they land the knee without a tech, the footstool is guaranteed due to the HUGE (relative to Brawl that is :O) amount of hitstun it puts them into. The footstool ONLY sets you up for good things against most of the cast (minus floaties, and those with enormous recoveries).

Use all of the tools at your disposal, including this one. If you find that your opponent is very fond of

FF ledge > DJ > fair

or anything of the like, this can be very useful imo.

OP called it situational for a reason =O
ugh.
People need to keep in mind that opponents DI. If they DI only slightly in another direction as you predict, you Footstool will miss.

And dont attempt stage spikes if they dont KO..its dangerous as you, too, are offstage when attempting one.
And a stagespike is never guaranteed. Let alone the footstool (which can be avoided by a tech or unpredicted DI).

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
ugh.
People need to keep in mind that opponents DI. If they DI only slightly in another direction as you predict, you Footstool will miss.

And dont attempt stage spikes if they dont KO..its dangerous as you, too, are offstage when attempting one.
And a stagespike is never guaranteed. Let alone the footstool (which can be avoided by a tech or unpredicted DI).
You're right, this really doesn't work. Thanks for this, though; I was looking for what the community would think about this. So, it's not very useful, though you have to admit it looks good when you pull one off :)

As for the person on the ledge thing, the first time my friend did it to me I was jumping down from the ledge to do a F-Air to get back on the stage, and he stage spiked me > Footstool. The second time I *should* have seen him coming while I was on the ledge, so yes, I should've been able to avoid that.

I did live once when he stage spiked me like this at around the same percents when he didn't try to follow up with a Footstool. When he tried the footstool, well... That's when the trouble started :p

I guess this thread is over now, unless someone makes this viable/useful somehow for anything but flashyness.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I sometimes do this (not the footstool part) but with the back end of UAir, because you go over them so it's hard for them to hit you with anything, and they often don't even realize it's going to hit them if they stay hanging onto the ledge (for those I hadn't done it on before). Example: end of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0PgdjI8lA

I think their best option is usually to ledge roll, because 2nd-jump aerial or Falcon Dive can catch pretty much anything else.

Zeallyx

I find it ironic that you of all people says this considering pretty much all your threads are useless.
Not really.
I have a stickied thread and more discoveries than you'll ever have.

bye.

Player-3

Smash Hero
naw hes right knee, this whole board is useless

just cuz its not MK or snake

or ICs fo that matter

Zeallyx

naw hes right knee, this whole board is useless

just cuz its not MK or snake

or ICs fo that matter
that is true.
But thats because of how bad of a character falcon is.

People who try to advance a bad metagame (people like me) may be fighting a desided battle, but at least we try.

Cant say that about nash. :bee:

10lolnash's

Mit

Smash Ace
I think stuff like this is more useful than half the stuff we find that actually "works".

Who cares if it's possible for them to tech the stage or DI the footstool, what are the chances they actually do that? It's likely that they won't be expecting it, and when they aren't expecting it, 95% of people do not manage to tech stagespikes. And if they haven't seen the particular move string before, it's likely they won't be aware they can DI the footstool either.

This is something that could actually be put to use in a Falcon main's playstyle, and not something to store away in the back of their head for those very, very rare situations where we have random 'real' combos that can work.

Zeallyx

I think stuff like this is more useful than half the stuff we find that actually "works".

Who cares if it's possible for them to tech the stage or DI the footstool, what are the chances they actually do that? It's likely that they won't be expecting it, and when they aren't expecting it, 95% of people do not manage to tech stagespikes. And if they haven't seen the particular move string before, it's likely they won't be aware they can DI the footstool either.

This is something that could actually be put to use in a Falcon main's playstyle, and not something to store away in the back of their head for those very, very rare situations where we have random 'real' combos that can work.
This thread is about something which's exactly like what you described in what I bolded in your post^.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
yeah, my friend did this to me when I was using Fox? the other day. Except no footstool. I prefer doing it the opposite direction though <_<;

Flub knee while facing stage > falcon dive is safer for recovery

besides, run off bair is faster methinks...

Mit

Smash Ace
This thread is about something which's exactly like what you described in what I bolded in your post^.
This is an option you can use whenever your opponent grabs the ledge or planks or anything, which should happen numerous times within a match. Wtf are you talking about.

velasool

Smash Rookie
I agree with knee, we as captain falcon players are fighting in a battle totally against our odds
captain falcon players can't go into a higher tier matchup and expect to win, however as things are progressing we might find a utility to abuse (similar to G&W)?
as far as high tier i don't see a future for the beloved captain, but we can improve his tournament results :D

Top Bottom