• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HLC: A New Way to Reduce Lag by Abusing the Buffer System

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone, this is Haloman800 from AiB, Yesterday while playing around with Meta Knight in the Wifi waiting room, I discovered something interesting. I present to you, the Human Lag Cancel:

All credit goes to Haloman800 for finding this nifty little trick.
Credit goes to Swordgard for technical explanation.

HLC stands for Human Lag Canceling(you expected Haloman800-Lag Cancel didn't you?, still fine if you call it that way though ^.^ ), and while it does not cancel any actual lag like l-cancel did, in practice it still allows you to speed up your game. It is done by using an aerial that has no landing lag at the start in order to allow you to buffer your ground attack so that it comes out on frame 1 instead of timing it, which is actually near impossible to do in a game unless you are a robot.

Let us compare 2 situations.

First one, you have done an aerial that you would like to follow up with a ground attack as soon as you land. You jump, do your aerial, wait until you land or fast fall and then as soon as you see that you are on the ground,you press forward tilt, which comes out say 4 frames later than it could have if you did it on the first frame possible. This is because if you do your ftilt too fast before landing, it will come out as an aerial, so you have to actually time it, which leaves place to human error, and i doubt anybody here will get frame number 1 everytime, yet alone once in the match if you arent paying close attention to it.

Now, second scenario, you intend to do the same thing as the first, except that we shall now remove any possible human mistake, and the attack(in this case ftilt), will come out on the first frame possible. As in the first case, you jump, do an aerial, wait until you are close to the ground and fast fall as needed, but instead, use an aerial which has 0 frame of landing lag during its first few frames of animation. This is known to be the case of MK's B-Air, though we arent sure exactly if every aerial can be cancelled this way yet(though it seems to work with Ice climber's N-Air). Now you use this aerial say 4 frames(can be higher, as long as your still within the no lag threshold) before touching the ground. Now, your character has started an action which prevents him from doing any other one, thus allowing him to use his buffer during his landing. Now, you can press any move 10 frames before touching the ground or closer in order to put the move in buffer, which will allow it to come out as soon as possible. Since there is no added lag, it will be exactly as if your move came out on first frame possible. You are thus “Canceling Human Lag”, because while you aren't removing any game lag, you are removing lag created by human imprecision.

Now, some of you may be wondering: Is this worth learning? Is there any actual reason to use this?

Well my answer to this is: If you have a way to reduce your lag which isn't incredibly technical, then why NOT learn it?

Some more specific uses for this:
Fast falling without fear of crouch buffering, which causes alot of lag.
Grabbing someone after landing besides his shield instantly.
Turn around tilts are much easier to do perfectly.
Speeding up your air to ground game.
Using a B-Move that requires grounding(such as falcons down-B) without chance of messing up.
And much more!

As for people wondering if this can be done directly after another aerial, IASA frames usually start 1 frame after the autocancel frame, now if you want to be able to buffer, means that there needs at least 2 frames left between the time you could autocancel and the time you would touch the ground. This is perfect for attacks such as MK's SH N-air which can trip, to be followed up instantly say by ftilt.

We'd like to ask if you could find other aerials with which this could work. Discuss.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This is actually really cool. I'm messing with it with Marth's dair now and I'm liking it a lot. I think I'm gonna try and master this.

Dekar173

Justice Man
It's like when someone uses Diddy's dair and only the startup frames come up, or Ness' dair, or many others. How it's abusing the buffering system is exactly how he said, you buffer with the use of less precision (for the same desired effect).

Why wouldn't someone work this into their game?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Sounds cool.

I cant wait for the guide though because its still a little confusing and I still dont see whats so big about this. The situations in which you could use this were pretty good but you would have to have the reflex to do a certain aerial at a certain time before landing (like l-cancelling) and then you dont really gain that much extra time so Im really wondering if its worth it.

About other aerials with this property, I think Diddys Dair is one so this would definitely help with single naner locking :)

Question:
Will I buffer a crouch if Im still holding down when he lands from doing a Dair? If so, would Dairing with the cstick still buffer a crouch?

EDIT: Just realized this; Isnt it already possible for ANY character to do this with SHADing? Im pretty sure that you can buffer an attack if you air dodge close enough to the ground. I mean I see lots of Luigis do this to safely get in range for the jab>shoryuken combo.
Correct me if Im wrong.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Tons of people do this **** all the time with Air Dodges. This is a stupid thread lol.
Ok so you can buffer out of ADs. Thats what I thought. In that case, its already possible with any character as I said :ohwell:
Thats too bad. I actually thought this would be big in the future seeing how all these techniques requiring buffering have been found (Pika Dthrow, ZSS Dash Attack Lock, ICs CGs etc)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I just do the grab in front of shield buffer with the AD but even then, its not that often since I dont really think about it. And I never really tried buffering anything else besides jabs and grabs.

Im gonna practice this some more. Air dodging is a lot easier than doing an aerial so it shouldnt be as hard as the OP. Itll definitely help even if its just a few frames.

Still hoping this will help with doing the Single Naner Lock though :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Tons of people do this **** all the time with Air Dodges. This is a stupid thread lol.
LMAO, I completely forgot about that., I used to do that ****.

Kinda stopped, though. That's probably easier too...

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Marth's ground game is pretty meh outside of grabs, dancing blade, and Dtilt so I guess that's why you stopped @.@

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Shaya says:

i started noting this the other day with both link and marths dair.

in viewing it, you would see marth almost do a 'shuffle' (yes in the melee sense), with no lag but from the 'point' would fall faster.

Marth's landing lag from his ac aerials are 8 frames, 2 frames if you land 'properly'.
Question: Does air dodging stop your fast fall?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
This mostly helps as a mindgame vs attentive players b/c you see the startup animations of the moves which are canceled into something else. Hylian's been advertising his "bair canceling" (since he does this all the time with GW) for months now.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I just do the grab in front of shield buffer with the AD but even then, its not that often since I dont really think about it. And I never really tried buffering anything else besides jabs and grabs.

Im gonna practice this some more. Air dodging is a lot easier than doing an aerial so it shouldnt be as hard as the OP. Itll definitely help even if its just a few frames.

Still hoping this will help with doing the Single Naner Lock though :)
Dude, this IS what you're doing when you single naner lock (if you're doing it right... :|)

swordgard

Smash Hero
Er no, airdodge purposingly puts lag on you when you land. Different.

First of all, airdodging has lag between when you touch the ground and when you can do something, and it is inherently far from safe because it has a set duration which is very long and limits your options. You can do this 3-4 frames before touching the ground or chose not to, while ADing while create a short amount of lag thus reducing the whole purpose of the technique.

Also, im pretty sure this isnt what alot of people are reffering to, i know that some people are thinking: Well your just pressing A/any button after an aerial to buffer it.

No this is meant to be done when you are NOT going to use an aerial which is cancelled halfway, but use one that has no (0 frames) of landing lag at the start in order to use the buffer zone you just created. Airdodging is tons more unsafe(pivot grab/grab anyone doing it), and certaintly isnt a good replacement for this.

I dont think i ever heard of hylians bair cancelling, but i guess it must be similar. It is also used for mindgames as PX pointed out. Idiot proof guide tonight :D

Throwback

Smash Lord
ah so I re-read the OP. The name is extremely misleading, since the 'human lag-cancel' part is actually buffering.

The only thing that has been 'discovered' (and I use the term VERY loosely) is that some aerials have 0 frames of lag if they land during their start-up frames. Now it's up to the community to figure out what all those moves are and incorporate them into their various character's games.

swordgard

Smash Hero
ah so I re-read the OP. The name is extremely misleading, since the 'human lag-cancel' part is actually buffering.

The only thing that has been 'discovered' (and I use the term VERY loosely) is that some aerials have 0 frames of lag if they land during their start-up frames. Now it's up to the community to figure out what all those moves are and incorporate them into their various character's games.
Yes but none of them will actually have their hitbox out during the no lag part, but it can be used to create a "buffer zone", a time during which you can buffer for your landing attacks where you could not. You can do something similar with airdodge, but it is tons worst, not mentionning the fact that you risk buffering the shield.

Here we are abusing the fact that we found a better option with 0 lag and no risk unlike airdodging to create a buffer zone.

Throwback

Smash Lord
yep I got that already.

Regardless, the name is still misleading - it sounds as though you think buffering is an amazing AT. The real thing you are claiming as an AT is the discovery of aerials with 0 frames of landing lag.

edit: "landing lag cancel" is a better name. That could even be shortened to LL-Cancel, but let's not go there...

swordgard

Smash Hero
yep I got that already.

Regardless, the name is still misleading - it sounds as though you think buffering is an amazing AT. The real thing you are claiming as an AT is the discovery of aerials with 0 frames of landing lag.

edit: "landing lag cancel" is a better name. That could even be shortened to LL-Cancel, but let's not go there...
Well the thing is your not reducing any actual lag, hence why i didn't want it to be called that way, but its really all about creating buffer zones with 0 lag thanks to the 0 lag aerials that Haloman800 (or hylian apparently too) found.

Throwback

Smash Lord
you are reducing the normal lag that landing occurs - 2 frames from a SH, usually more in the middle of various aerials. My issue is that the name made me think you were talking about buffering the 1st time I read your post.

...I should probably get over it.

swordgard

Smash Hero
you are reducing the normal lag that landing occurs - 2 frames from a SH, usually more in the middle of various aerials. My issue is that the name made me think you were talking about buffering the 1st time I read your post.

...I should probably get over it.
Well, maybe there is 2 frames of lag, i cant tell, it sure looks like the same OR faster that SH landing, i cant see if its the actual aerial that has less lag+buffer abuse or the fact that buffering allows stuff to comes out on frame 1 only.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
if you land during startup frames with certain aerials like tl's uair (only one I know offhand because i randomly discovered it one day), before the hitbox comes out, i'm pretty sure the game instantly puts you in a grounded state. anyway, i see what you mean now but the timing on this is so retardedly strict and the fact that you have to be vulnerable to do this makes this pretty useless.

i mean, to even use an aerial you have to be in a state that allows you to be hit. if you're going to use this close enough to your enemy to buffer something, odds are they can hit you while you're still in the air. if you want to buffer a roll or something, you'd have to buffer a shield first then manually input the command to roll, meaning there is no difference between airdodging into the ground or doing this other then

1. airdodging into the ground means you have like...3 more frames of landing lag
2. this comes in exchange for safety while falling, which you wouldn't get if you had to remain vulnerable to use an aerial that has startup frames before the hitbox comes out

so this...really isn't useful

swordgard

Smash Hero
if you land during startup frames with certain aerials like tl's uair (only one I know offhand because i randomly discovered it one day), before the hitbox comes out, i'm pretty sure the game instantly puts you in a grounded state. anyway, i see what you mean now but the timing on this is so retardedly strict and the fact that you have to be vulnerable to do this makes this pretty useless.

i mean, to even use an aerial you have to be in a state that allows you to be hit. if you're going to use this close enough to your enemy to buffer something, odds are they can hit you while you're still in the air. if you want to buffer a roll or something, you'd have to buffer a shield first then manually input the command to roll, meaning there is no difference between airdodging into the ground or doing this other then

1. airdodging into the ground means you have like...3 more frames of landing lag
2. this comes in exchange for safety while falling, which you wouldn't get if you had to remain vulnerable to use an aerial that has startup frames before the hitbox comes out

so this...really isn't useful

Im gonna answer to this when i have more time tonight, sorry gotta brb.

Throwback

Smash Lord
you can't say it's useless until we know what characters can do it, and how many frames before landing they can start their aerial.

Basically the aerial has to be able to start enough frames before landing that a human has time to buffer a move. After that it's just a matter of range + speed of the buffered move. For example, if samus can LL-cancel to a buffered dtilt, it will outrange many many character's moves & is very fast. MK's ftilt outranges & outspeeds pretty much everything, snake's tilts do also, etc.

to clarify: it depends how early the 0-lag aerial can be performed. If it's only 2 frames before landing then the human hand can't move fast enough to buffer, unless the player is using 2 different attack buttons.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
pick toon link and try to do his uair JUST before you land, before the hitbox comes out. its possible, just not practical.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Er no, airdodge purposingly puts lag on you when you land. Different.
What do you mean by "puts lag on you"? I assume you're saying that airdodging adds landing lag... which is incorrect. Air dodging has no inherent lag of it's own.

First of all, airdodging has lag between when you touch the ground and when you can do something, and it is inherently far from safe because it has a set duration which is very long and limits your options. You can do this 3-4 frames before touching the ground or chose not to, while ADing while create a short amount of lag thus reducing the whole purpose of the technique.
...what's keeping you from airdodging 3-4 frames before you touch the ground?

Anyways as said before the name of this thread is misleading. Lag isn't being reduced at all. This just makes buffering easier (though I'm not sure if it even does that).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
What I'm finding interesting is that no one is really getting the..... something.... of this.... there really isn't a good word I can think of for it....
Anyway, seeing an approach for an attack and seeing a airdodge approach are VERY different things. When you're expecting a Bair to the face, lets see, whats the fastest option right up close like that... oh yes, lets shield the bair then punish it lolnoobs. Then it ends up being a fake-out into a grab.

But meh, I guess thats just me seeing these things.

You guys say that this is "Not new", and it isn't, but it is a creative little twist on the buffer system. I haven't really seen anyone project it in this manner beforehand.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Dude, this IS what you're doing when you single naner lock (if you're doing it right... :|)
I think you misunderstood. I meant if we could buffer a DASHING short hop to get around characters with longer hitboxes/longer trips. This could help us infinite more characters.

Im pretty sure I buffer regular SHs but its hard to tell cause the controls are so close together :ohwell:

Hence

Smash Ace
While I appreciate your attempt to contribute to tactical discussion, one can only assume everything you've stated after understanding Brawl's buffer system. :laugh:

Top Bottom