• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #9~ Kirby

DFEAR

Smash Hero

Discuss The Star Warrior. Input as MUCH info as needed + the following.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:
Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:
Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:
Overall Character Ratio:

ADHD

Smash Hero
Camp camp camp, don't try to punish the bair on your shield because it autocancels so fast a banana throw won't reach him in time! Just stay far away from the ledge, and recover smart and you should do fine. I really haven't gotten to play a really good kirby, but I've seen NL play chudat and az vs ybm, i'd say it's 55-45 to 60-40 to kirby's favor.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^ ty for that.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:
-Kirby's bair is a high priority attack that "could" trade hits with fair but i wouldnt try it
-Kirby's dair is a semi spike. ALWAYS recover safely/unpredictably
-Kirby's fair is underestimated

Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:
-Diddy rules here, zone properly.
-Kirby's nair from Oos can be combo'd to an uptilt and chased with aerials etc.
-Kirby has a chaingrab from fthrow. DI and jump away asap, otherwise a good 45%+ u shall eat from low %'s (comboes into upair/fair/another grab/sideb hammer)

Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
-Mostly kirby's grabs and bair.
-While kirby is in the air/edge he will try to gimp u with bair/dair
-Kirbycide should be watched out for when a kirby is a stock ahead or of high %
-Be careful of the double sideb hammer. (situational)

Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
-Backwards glidetossing (safe)
-Peanuts
-Safe Dash Attack combos

Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:
seriously just camp. dont be too aggressive. unless the chance presents itself
Overall Character Ratio:
55-45 kirby

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
It's another camping match-up. kirby will use all of his jumps to avoid bananas. The same old story here, wait until they land then punish. Peanuts can help bother them when they are jumping around. Kirby's bair is pretty much sex and you can expect them to use a lot of it.

I would suggest always recovering high, as kirby can easily gimp you by setting off your barrels with bair or dair. Kirby's fsmash is very strong and will kill early, but it is also very predictable. Try to always stay out of their fsmash range when you are at KO percent. On the other hand, when they are at KO percent you shouldn't have too hard a time getting the kill on the light-weight puff ball. Apart from the typical glide-toss ->smash KOs, fair and uair can be snuck in through kirby walls of pain.

In my opinion kirby is pretty cumbersome on the ground with bananas and can't use them very well. Kirby's dash attack for example sucks for picking them up. However, in the air watch our for dthrows and zdrops followed by bairs or the dreaded fsmashes. *Wyhaugh!*

Overall I would say the match-up is a slight kirby favor. Perhaps 55-45? Diddy can have a hard time against characters that can avoid the ground and gimp you easily. Kirby also can play on any stage and will be at an even greater advantage on counterpicks.

P.S.- It should also be noted that kirby is very cute, pushing the match-up even more in their favor.

Gnes

Smash Master
Hmmm...this brings me back to the days i mained kirby. Matchup is 55-45 diddys favor.

Though kirby does have 5 jumps, his aerial mobility is in actuality very bad. Hes got a CG that can lead to a quick and early 40%-50% but thats about it. After that he has to rely on bair which is beaten by f-tilt, fair(determined by who starts their move first, if diddy does then no trading hits, if kirby does trading hits), and by a properly placed MFK. Don't try to punish a spaced bair on shield cuz it will just get u f-smashed/grabbed. Our D-tilt outrange all his ground approaches, and due to his horrible aerial mobility being risky over the edge with zair dropped naners,etc., can lead to edgeguards.

Now kirby can gimp diddy pretty easily, about as easily as wario/luigi so that is a problem, but honestly just recoverly safely like in any other matchup. Kirby has no naner applications and due to his small shield is suspectible to general diddy shield pressure. Hes also slow enough to when he tries to escape you can punish him in the air before he attempts a defensive option.

Just like his more BROKN brother, hes very suspectible to peanut camp. And DFEAR, ur wrong...kirby can not plank diddy unless its some stage like norfair. Its literally impossible.

55-45 our favor :)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Mother****in' hallelujah. The only reason Jigglypuff gives me a mild headache is because of how annoying she is when she manipulates her fast horizontal aerial movement, but that's about it. Kirby trades that in for exponentially greater kill power, but the KO setups are not not much more reliable. Even in spite of this, I still think Kirby is a superior character to Jiggz in and out of the Diddy Kong match-up...and it's still in our favor. Mid-range zone his ***, get him on the ground and call me in the morning.

Final note: virtually all of Kirby's throw combo variations start with a F-throw into a fast-fallen U-air. This combo can be escaped 100% of the time by properly SDIing the U-air, thus rendering Kirby's usual capacity to net free damage useless (at least for the early percentages of that particular stock). Even if you mess up the SDI off of the U-air, you can literally mash any of your jump buttons and actually put enough distance between you and Kirby before you get grabbed again or eat a pivoted U-tilt. Even Falco is able to do this.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Sweet, I never knew we could escape the Gonzo Combo. Do you mean we should SDI away or upwards? And does SDIing always work as in even at 0%? And I thought you couldnt jump until like 15% if you dont SDI?

Also, I seconded Kirby for a while (to counter my bros Olimar but this was before I knew the MU) so I know a couple of his tricks. One thing I noticed is that you have to watch out for the Dair just as much as the Bair. Though its easy to see it coming, its great at punishing air dodges. If you get caught in one, SDI out and up if your high up. If you see youre going to hit the ground, then get ready to counter Kirbys options;

Dtilt/Ftilt/Utilt- Its a true combo so all you can do is DI :ohwell: Maybe if you SDI away from the Dair, you can escape but dont expect this to happen when youre low to the ground; you wont have enough time. Also, watch out for the Dtilt. If it trips you, the Kirby can Fsmash and since the Dtilt combos even at high percents, all you can do in this situations is DI the Fsmash the best you can. The Ftilt isnt that dangerous since it ends the combo but watch out for a pivoted Utilt. It can follow it up with anything from a grab at low percents to a Bair at medium/higher percents.

Grab- I noticed when I played Kirby that you could actually space the Dair so that you dont have to dashing grab. I even tested it and its inescapeable. Its just very difficult to do and I dont see it that often so you really dont have to worry much about that.

So if you see the Kirby running towards you, do something to avoid the grab; roll towards him or even Dtilt/Jab him. Do not spot dodge cause Diddys is slow and if he reads it, youll get punished for sure. He could even run past and pivot grab allowing Kirby to grab you whether you spot dodge or stay in shield. I personally think rolling is the easiest to do but if you can condition yourself to Dtilt/Jab, then go ahead and mix it up.

Fsmash- Its a good mix up against those who arent used to Kirbys Dair. Just shield. Again, another reason why you shouldnt spot dodge after Kirbys Dair, youll just eat a slightly charged Fsmash to the face. Though it seems slow, its actually a very reliable kill move so unless you see it coming, youll probably get hit by it at least once :ohwell:

IMO 55-45 Kirby

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
Okay I know a great deal about this matchup since I play Allied plenty since he lives right near me. It's really not that bad of a matchup at all.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:Kirby has the dreaded Dair and his bair is going to hit you alot in this matchup. Fair seems to work well battling all of kirby's aerials.

Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:Kirby's grabs are what wins this matchup, just stay away when landing to avoid the pivot grabs and all that nonsense,Diddy of course has bananas and i like to grab alot against kirby in this matchup just to throw him away and keep him distanced.

Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:Stay away from that hammer at all costs,time your airdodges correctly for that. Again try and stay away from his grabs,I like to have a banana in my hand everytime im in the air so i can throw it down right where i land. as far as dair goes just shield it and glide toss backwards or run..... lol. Also kirby can gimp you with dair while you're charging upB. Switch up your recovery to avoid the blob thingy from killing you early.

Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:CAMP lol and when you have openings go all out. Just stay away and shield from Dairs. camping in this matchup works really well though cause kirby doesn't have a good glide tossing game and they will most likely be overwhelmed by bananas.

Overall Character Ratio:55-45 Kirby.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
[kirby's] bair
Yes.

Dair is a semi-spike. if you are recovering using your barrels expect to be punishd with this. ALWAYS recover safely/unpredictably
-Kirby's fair is rarely used unless "comboed" from a throw.
- Kirby's nair and upair are used to juggle and mindgames i guess o.o
Those 3 aren't right:p. A semi-spike sends opponents to the left or right at a downward angle...I think what you're looking for is meteor smash. Fair is WAY underrated by most players. And nair will NEVER be used to juggle an opponent, unless they are close to the ground and it can be followed by a utilt or something.

It's another camping match-up. kirby will use all of his jumps to avoid bananas. The same old story here, wait until they land then punish. Peanuts can help bother them when they are jumping around. Kirby's bair is pretty much sex and you can expect them to use a lot of it.

I would suggest always recovering high, as kirby can easily gimp you by setting off your barrels with bair or dair. Kirby's fsmash is very strong and will kill early, but it is also very predictable. Try to always stay out of their fsmash range when you are at KO percent. On the other hand, when they are at KO percent you shouldn't have too hard a time getting the kill on the light-weight puff ball. Apart from the typical glide-toss ->smash KOs, fair and uair can be snuck in through kirby walls of pain.

In my opinion kirby is pretty cumbersome on the ground with bananas and can't use them very well. Kirby's dash attack for example sucks for picking them up. However, in the air watch our for dthrows and zdrops followed by bairs or the dreaded fsmashes. *Wyhaugh!*

Overall I would say the match-up is a slight kirby favor. Perhaps 55-45? Diddy can have a hard time against characters that can avoid the ground and gimp you easily. Kirby also can play on any stage and will be at an even greater advantage on counterpicks.

P.S.- It should also be noted that kirby is very cute, pushing the match-up even more in their favor.
This is all pretty much right, except:

We probably wouldn't be wall of paining riskily at high %'s. Kirby isn't great on ALL stages, though it's true most characters cp stages which we are good on but they do better on. Also, kirby is not very cute, he is the cutest thing ever. He's a ball of pure cuteness, lol...

Hmmm...this brings me back to the days i mained kirby. Matchup is 55-45 diddys favor.

Though kirby does have 5 jumps, his aerial mobility is in actuality very bad. Hes got a CG that can lead to a quick and early 40%-50% but thats about it.

I remember you from on the kirby boards, but it must have been LONG ago...fthrow->uair is the only guaranteed thing out of our fthrow.

After that he has to rely on bair which is beaten by f-tilt, fair(determined by who starts their move first, if diddy does then no trading hits, if kirby does trading hits), and by a properly placed MFK.

What does MFK stand for? I'd probably assume it's "mother****ing", but that doesn't fit the context at all.

Don't try to punish a spaced bair on shield cuz it will just get u f-smashed/grabbed. Our D-tilt outrange all his ground approaches, and due to his horrible aerial mobility being risky over the edge with zair dropped naners,etc., can lead to edgeguards.

Offstage with diddy and kirby is sort of like offstage with g&w and kirby. We have the advantage. You can drop bananas, so yea, we'll jump away from the stage, then come back towards it, probably with a final cutter if you're still offstage. If you come out to attack us, we can airdodge and you are forced to recover. And then you're using your upb while directly next to kirby. While offstage. In short, you have decent offstage game against us, but only right next to the edge (hence why I say it's just like g&w).

Now kirby can gimp diddy pretty easily, about as easily as wario/luigi so that is a problem, but honestly just recoverly safely like in any other matchup.

What does "recover safely" mean? Same applies to "recover high." How would you go about doing that?

Kirby has no naner applications

Yes. I'm pretty sure he can't even glidetoss D:

and due to his small shield is suspectible to general diddy shield pressure. Hes also slow enough to when he tries to escape you can punish him in the air before he attempts a defensive option.

Just like his more BROKN brother

Kirby is NOT related to him.

, hes very suspectible to peanut camp. And DFEAR, ur wrong...kirby can not plank diddy unless its some stage like norfair. Its literally impossible.

Actually, by dropping off and fast-falling a bit, you can jump and grab the edge at the tip of your auto-sweetspot. It isn't as effective as mk's, but then again, is anything?

55-45 our favor :)

55-45 kirby's favor.
Okay I know a great deal about this matchup since I play Allied plenty since he lives right near me. It's really not that bad of a matchup at all.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:Kirby has the dreaded Dair and his bair is going to hit you alot in this matchup. Fair seems to work well battling all of kirby's aerials.

How would kirby's fair work against your fair? I don't actually know, and I can't test it right now, but just a thought.

Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:Kirby's grabs are what wins this matchup, just stay away when landing to avoid the pivot grabs and all that nonsense,Diddy of course has bananas and i like to grab alot against kirby in this matchup just to throw him away and keep him distanced.

Grabs aren't really that important in kirby's game. Wouldn't all that grabbing get predictable? :p (I mean that for both diddy and kirby)

Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:Stay away from that hammer at all costs,time your airdodges correctly for that.

Does your airdodge last long enough to avoid both hits?

Again try and stay away from his grabs,I like to have a banana in my hand everytime im in the air so i can throw it down right where i land. as far as dair goes just shield it and glide toss backwards or run..... lol.

I'd say running would be more effective, I think dair would push you away far enough, combine with us pulling back, so that we'd have enough time to spotdodge/shield a glidetoss.

Also kirby can gimp you with dair while you're charging upB. Switch up your recovery to avoid the blob thingy kirby from killing you early.

:mad:

Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:CAMP lol and when you have openings go all out. Just stay away and shield from Dairs. camping in this matchup works really well though cause kirby doesn't have a good glide tossing game and they will most likely be overwhelmed by bananas.

Kirby can do the running glidetoss thing, where you run, JC the dash and cancel the jump with a banana throw. His glidetoss game isn't as bad as you might think, but it's still not something to bet on.

Overall Character Ratio:55-45 Kirby.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
the red parts are true in what u say but only stated that because i fight DC alot :\ and he is spectacular at predicting, so he punishes with grabs/sideb hammer. but those were back in the old days. i havent faced him in ages >_<.

yes nair from ground is beast.

and kirbycides are awesome if the kirby is either a stock ahead or wants to get rid of that HIGH % to get on an even neutral status with an opponent.

bananas are scary lol? but i want to assume people know how to use bananas just as effectively and as creative as a diddy main can. so backwards glidetossing is safe to use

T-nuts

Smash Ace
ok guys i am here to help you better understand the diddy kong vs kirby matchup.

MATCHUP SUMMARY:

kirby will try to hit him with ur foot but diddy kong will hit u with ur banana

55:45 diddy kong, i agree with gnes.

MFK stands for mother****ing.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Btw don't ever approach kirby after you throw something at his shield and he's facing the opposite direction, gauranteed boot to the face.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I don't know how to recover. If i recover high, I get WoP Baired, and low gets spiked.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
lol, that makes more sense. Since you can't use your upb after the kick...can you use it if knocked out of the kick (by our bair or dair?).
Im pretty sure you can since you can SideB again after getting hit. That means that the game cant count Diddy as having used the kick since he hasnt even SideBed yet. So he gets his UpB back too.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
@ A1lion

i havent tested Diddy's fair against kirby's but I'm pretty sure diddy's has much more range and priority. and yes Diddy's airdodge lasts long enough to avoid both hits of the hammer as long as you predict it correctly and dont get baited into doing an early airdodge.....which would suck haha.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
@ A1lion

i havent tested Diddy's fair against kirby's but I'm pretty sure diddy's has much more range and priority. and yes Diddy's airdodge lasts long enough to avoid both hits of the hammer as long as you predict it correctly and dont get baited into doing an early airdodge.....which would suck haha.
Okay, that answers both of my questions.

It would suck almost as much as using olimar's whistle armor on the first hit and dying on the second (haha asdioh...).

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
As Gnes already said, only the f-throw to u-air should connect. After that, SDI up and away and avoid any follow-ups.

However, up to mid percents, Kirby's D-throw puts you in a pretty bad position anyway. You don't go too far above him, D-air is slow and F-air has landing lag. If you airdodge, he can U-smash or F-smash (depending on how high percent it is). If you try to retaliate with an aerial, he can just shield and punish. I usually just monkey flip away if I don't have a banana, but he can quite possibly chase you out of that too.

Diddy's F-air and F-tilt both outrange Kirby's B-air. Kirby's B-air is basically lagless on landing, however, and it's a good OoS option for him (so don't approach the back of his shield, cross-ups are bad against him). His shield in general is pretty good in this match-up, following up from a banana hit on anywhere on it isn't too safe.

Just remember that you can beat B-air if you're contesting him straight in the air or if he's coming at you with it from the air. Just watch out for times when you're in landing lag, or OoS, or trying to recover, his B-air is annoying.

He can catch bananas with B-air pretty solidly, but really can't do much with them. His glide-toss length is virtually inexistent, and he doesn't run too fast or slide far enough to make JC throws a threat.

Gimping wise, Kirby is like a more annoying version of MK, lol. While his D-air is slow on start-up, most recoveries are predictable, and it's a semi-spike (really a spike, but has multiple hitboxes or hits or whatever), and will **** your barrels hard along with B-air. Do what you would against MK; DI high to avoid a gimpable position in the first place, and charge your barrels away from the stage otherwise Kirby will catch you.

Kirby's F-smash is good at catching you upon landing, so be aware of that. It can kill obscenely early if you're near the ledge, and has a semi-long hitbox, so you can fall into it somewhat easily. Generally, landing close to Kirby is a bad idea. DO NOT MONKEY FLIP KICK HIM WHEN HE'S ON THE GROUND. It will be shielded, and you will be F-smashed unless he's in landing lag, or you buffer it and L-cancel it (although he still may be able to retalate, not sure).

As far as bananas go, I've already said that Kirby can't use and control them well. You don't have to be as worried about him catching them; just use basic prediction (all he can do that's worthwhile if he picks up a banana is throw it). You could potentially punish him for holding a banana. In general, your banana combos against him are normal and he has a normal trip animation.

He has good killing power and great gimping power, but the trajectory of most of his attacks shouldn't force you into a gimpable position. Don't get F-smashed or grabbed at the ledge, and you're pretty much golden. He's not a character that can rush you down and force you to the ledge with attacks. He loves B-air, but you can beat it with F-air, F-tilt, maybe U-tilt or U-smash OoS if it hits your shield (that's just theorycrafted though). Past early percent grab "combos", early-mid percent d-throw reads, and catching you with F-smash upon landing, he can't do much to pressure a bad response out of you. As always, mid-range spacing is golden; possibly bait a B-air and punish with a banana throw or Monkey Flip Kick.

IMO, the match-up is even, maybe slight advantage Diddy but nothing past 55:45.

Gnes

Smash Master
Hmmm...i agree with alot of stuff u said except for the mk part lol. Kirby's dair has some significant amount of lag after it finishes. So basically if u dodge one u have enough time to do something before he attempts to do it again. Everything else is in our favor.

A1lion u should get asdioh to come and tell of his diddy nightmares in here ^.^

A1lion835

Smash Champion
As Gnes already said, only the f-throw to u-air should connect. After that, SDI up and away and avoid any follow-ups.

It's amazing how many times you need to say this in a matchup discussion >.>. Most people go in and are like "watch outz for teh broekn cg which does liek 60% ZOMG."

However, up to mid percents, Kirby's D-throw puts you in a pretty bad position anyway. You don't go too far above him, D-air is slow and F-air has landing lag. If you airdodge, he can U-smash or F-smash (depending on how high percent it is). If you try to retaliate with an aerial, he can just shield and punish. I usually just monkey flip away if I don't have a banana, but he can quite possibly chase you out of that too.

This is why dthrow is considered kirby's second-best, if not best throw;).

Diddy's F-air and F-tilt both outrange Kirby's B-air. Kirby's B-air is basically lagless on landing, however, and it's a good OoS option for him (so don't approach the back of his shield, cross-ups are bad against him). His shield in general is pretty good in this match-up, following up from a banana hit on anywhere on it isn't too safe.

Mentioning your ftilt made me think of something...would kirby's ftilt outrange your ftilt and fair? I don't have a testing partner, so all I could really do is look at the moves and guess which has more range, and priority is a whole 'nother story.

Just remember that you can beat B-air if you're contesting him straight in the air or if he's coming at you with it from the air. Just watch out for times when you're in landing lag, or OoS, or trying to recover, his B-air is annoying.

This is all true.

He can catch bananas with B-air pretty solidly, but really can't do much with them. His glide-toss length is virtually inexistent, and he doesn't run too fast or slide far enough to make JC throws a threat.

Unfortunately, true.

Gimping wise, Kirby is like a more annoying version of MK, lol.

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!

...I'm sorry, I had to do that. MK can gimp almost any character in the game extremely easily because of his fast semi-spiking aerials. If anything, MK is a more annoying version of Kirby.

While his D-air is slow on start-up, most recoveries are predictable, and it's a semi-spike Meteor Smash? (really a spike, but has multiple hitboxes or hits or whatever), and will **** your barrels hard along with B-air. Do what you would against MK; DI high to avoid a gimpable position in the first place, and charge your barrels away from the stage otherwise Kirby will catch you.

Mostly right. Dair's only weakness is the start-up and ending lag, but on recoveries like yours it's not a real problem. Note that we can time dairs and footstool well enough offstage so that we can dair->footstool->dair->footstool...until we run out of footstools. **** True combo.

Kirby's F-smash is good at catching you upon landing, so be aware of that. It can kill obscenely early if you're near the ledge, and has a semi-long hitbox, so you can fall into it somewhat easily. Generally, landing close to Kirby is a bad idea. DO NOT MONKEY FLIP KICK HIM WHEN HE'S ON THE GROUND. It will be shielded, and you will be F-smashed unless he's in landing lag, or you buffer it and L-cancel it (although he still may be able to retalate, not sure).

True.

As far as bananas go, I've already said that Kirby can't use and control them well. You don't have to be as worried about him catching them; just use basic prediction (all he can do that's worthwhile if he picks up a banana is throw it). You could potentially punish him for holding a banana. In general, your banana combos against him are normal and he has a normal trip animation.

True.

He has good killing power and great gimping power, but the trajectory of most of his attacks shouldn't force you into a gimpable position.

Down-angled fsmash can put you in a gimpable position, but up-angled gets the job done faster, so I doubt we'll use down-angled that much.

Don't get F-smashed or grabbed at the ledge, and you're pretty much golden. He's not a character that can rush you down and force you to the ledge with attacks. He loves B-air, but you can beat it with F-air, F-tilt, maybe U-tilt or U-smash OoS if it hits your shield (that's just theorycrafted though). Past early percent grab "combos", early-mid percent d-throw reads, and catching you with F-smash upon landing, he can't do much to pressure a bad response out of you. As always, mid-range spacing is golden; possibly bait a B-air and punish with a banana throw or Monkey Flip Kick.

All correct.

IMO, the match-up is even, maybe slight advantage Diddy but nothing past 55:45.

IMO, it's 50:50, but maybe 55:45 in either's favor.
Responses in quote.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Actually, I find myself getting gimped by kirby more than MK, mostly because of the fact that his dair sends you down, while MK's aerials won't always send you down,actually known of them do unless you get hit into the stage.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Sauce Boss, we need to Brawl next time. Your the only Diddy Kong I know that's in MI. T_T

ADHD

Smash Hero
P1...thats just sad. :(
No it's not, kirby is slightly better at gimping diddy than metaknight is because of the spike. It's easier to get gimped by kirby than it is metkanight when you recover properly. Kirby has the tools to gimp you no matter what area you decide to sweetspot or recover through.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
No it's not, kirby is slightly better at gimping diddy than metaknight is because of the spike. It's easier to get gimped by kirby than it is metkanight when you recover properly. Kirby has the tools to gimp you no matter what area you decide to sweetspot or recover through.
This.

If MK hits you with D-air or any aerial, you still have a chance to recover.

Kirby...not so much. He also has faster horizontal aerial speed.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I have much more trouble recovering against MK then Kirby. But then again that could just be because I have more experience vs. Kirby.

Gnes

Smash Master
Ur wrong I play kirby GTFO

Kirby's air movement in all directions is generally slow. Mk is faster, and has more range. There is no possible way kirby is better than mk at gimping. Yes, his dair is slightly better at gimping, but it does have startup meaning it has to be planned in advance. Also...if a kirby chooses to gimp diddy it wont be by dair, it will be from bair considering dairs horrible ending lag.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is more of the nuisance at gimping Diddy, because the his dair basically eats through anything. And regardless of the lag, Kirby has multiple jumps and an up-B.

MK you can still hope for a second chance because if he gimps you once, u can side-b and then gor for and up-B again whereas with Kirby u go straight down and all u got is a possible up-B that u won't be able to get off in time.

win_ftw

Smash Cadet
the drill dair kirby has is just too much.

the rocketbarrell boost has low priority anyways and that is the only option after being hit by kirbys dair.
if hes smart hell just do it again.

i think mks definitely easier to escape than kirby, but im not saying its always easy to escape.

O.o

Player-1

Smash Legend
Ur wrong I play kirby GTFO

Kirby's air movement in all directions is generally slow. Mk is faster, and has more range. There is no possible way kirby is better than mk at gimping. Yes, his dair is slightly better at gimping, but it does have startup meaning it has to be planned in advance. Also...if a kirby chooses to gimp diddy it wont be by dair, it will be from bair considering dairs horrible ending lag.
ADHD plays some Kirby as well,FYI

Gnes

Smash Master
ADHD plays some Kirby as well,FYI
Im sorry i should have specified, i mained kirby :). Hes never had to play a tournament level diddy with kirby, nor a tournament level diddy with mk(which i also have done). I mained mk when the game first came out, then switch to kirby which for some reason is a huge trend, and here i am.

Top Bottom