• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

bBrawl disadvantage discussion. - Discussing matchups in a limited yet pivotal light.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Welcome to the bBrawl matchup change topic. I'm going to lay down a few ground rules so as to establish the intent of the topic and to promote healthy and helpful discussion.

First off: I'm omitting anything that is obviously unchanged. I don't need to hear that your rob or marth still loses to the other, it's blatantly obvious.

Secondly, on the other end, I'm only going to summarize why I believe certain grave disadvantages are as of now unchanged. For example: Olimar is still a 7:3 or 8:2 on Ike. I'm establishing this off the bat. He still can not enter on olimar safely with anything but air dodge and any approach will be shield grabbed and punished severely, Olimar combos ike and the only thing ike has on the matchup is that a grab is a good 90% chance to 0-death Olimar if you understand proper throw followups and the nature of gimping olimar with aether or walk off dair.

Anyway I play 2 characters (Ike and Snake, Snake mostly in vBrawl and Ike predominantly in bBrawl, with dedede and marth on the side in either), and as time progresses I will be providing video examples of matchups that I believe are pivotal, it might just be a previously terrible matchup suddenly becoming more even or an advantage that suddenly is not the case (for example I believe marth now wins the matchup vs snake but I will establish that pierce is far better and familiar with marth than I am with snake, despite the fact that my KO setups are rather creative and don't crutch up tilt except for specific cases)

I'm going to start off with ike. I'm sectionizing the matchups and I'm starting off with

Grave disadvantages suddenly made less so or even.

First up is Meta Knight, other Ikes will tell you that the matchup in vBrawl is 6:4 but I've always seen the matchup as an easy 7:3, Ike loses purely on low % frame disadvantage the second he goes off the stage, as there is no action Ike can make after dodging dair that meta knight cant just dair again. Comitting to a fair at the angle and % that MK would be using that tactic would just result in an SD even with good DI. This coupled with his incredible stage covering speed and ability to wait ike out and act on reaction to most of Ike's moveset and still win, along with his 2 staple on stage killshots sending ike at an unrecoverable angle a large majority of the time. The main changes to the matchup are the fact that ike no longer dies to the arbitrary down smash or shuttle loop, but all in all I think that even with matchup familiarity (which I woefully lack) MK will still win this matchup in a solid but doable 6:4

Matchup Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_1z8bXc6c (Loss)

Second is Marth. In vBrawl the matchup is written as anything between a 6-4 and a 7-3, with the general recent consensus being a 65-35. I think that marth is very much in the same boat as MK in vBrawl when it comes to fighting Ike. Gimping, while less freebie as dair to dair, comes very easily to Marth against Ike. Coupled with frame traps, a comparable range with a much more effective and fluid zoning game, marth capitalizes on a lot of things that ike cant quite do as well. Ike isnt given the ability to punish marth intantly as most of his moves go seamlessly into dolphin slash, Shielding is ineffective in this matchup as well, it comes down to has a better grasp of spacing and baiting an opponent's tendencies and making marth se the only on-stage move that leaves him open. Punishment vs Baiting, between the 2 swordsmen with few to no ATs, stronger fundamentals and cooler heads prevail.

The main change is yet again the fact that Ike now lives to significantly longer than marth does on average, this was NOT the case in vBrawl as one screw up on the wrong side of the stage was anywhere between a 0 and 70% death. Ike, on the traditional stage, now stands a reliable and solid chance to live upwards of 160 on a regular basis, while marth dies somewhere between 40 to 60% earlier. Again, the very basics behind the matchup still exist, stronger fundamentals and baiting the right reaction will give ike the ability to capitalize on some of the few times marth leaves himelf open, plus his ability to get out to an area where dolphin slash is impractical to use on return gives ike a good ability to return the favor on gimping. I put this matchup at 55-45 marth.

Matchup examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB7U6o1vBBI (Win)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU17Egzb_xM (Loss)

Thirdly is King Dedede. In vBrawl the matchup is considered a 7-3 with matchup familiarity possibility bringing it down to 6-4. To this day I've never beaten a high level tournament dedede in tournament set but I have beaten quite a few high level dededes in some serious friendlies as ike. It comes down to a lot of jab and run tactics and whoring the hell out of spaced bair (that's right, bair, not fair, not nair unless you want to get shield grabbed and subsequently placed in a reality terrible situation.

The matchup changes to basically the same thing except there's a far less dratic punishment for messing up spacing. But bad spacing will lose his matchup for you, simple as that. I'd call it a 55-45 dedede advantage as ike is gven much more freedom than he used to have but smart shelding will shut ike down.

Matchup Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYSVlSKa2Ek (Loss)

Lastly for my initial post I'm throwing in ike's 5th worst matchup, Falco lombardi. I call it his 5th worst match because despite his crossups, faster jab, and amazing camping ability, he is downright terrible at both gimping and killing ike. Some people will disagree with this but I find falco vs Ike in vbrawl, contrary to common perception, to be at the hardest a solid 6-4. Very predictable recovery is the main reason I leave it at this, because he otherwise solidly shuts ike down on stages without platforms. Luckily with eruption ike can bait enough damage or cause enough to himself to prevent being CGed and spiked/gimped. Since the down throw change didnt do much to this matchup on any stage with a platform, I'll state that I believe this to still be a 6-4 on every stage and not just wildly changing on fd, smashville, etc. He still has his on stage advantages on ike, but at high level play this fight is much closer than it seems on paper.

Matchups that may have or definitely have changed but were never terribly bad for ike anyway include but are not limited to: Snake, Wario, Sheik, Yoshi (Ike is one of the few characters that when he says get the hell out with a killshot, yoshi has no choice but to abide), sonic, falcon, ganon, luigi, mario, Ness.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think this has a lot of potential if actual serious discussion such as yours is the norm in this thread. It would also be good to include characters that used to be advantages suddenly being more even or new bad match-ups. Although it would seem redundant if the other side does their part, it would still be interesting to see some discussions on both ends for both sides if only for some extra perspective.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Matchup video examples have been added to 3/4 f the gravbe disadvantages, later I will start on matchup advantages that are now even or maybe even a disadvantage. Link, mario, luigi, bowser, an a few others will show up.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I am just going to throw in for starters that I think Ivysaur and Link are 60:40 against Snake.

Jigglypuff/G&W is probably 40:60, I hope anyway. Jigglypuff/Marth might be 45:55, might not. Wario is probably still in the 60:40 area against Jiggs. Kirby might be even now? Ness too? Pika might be 45:55 in this matchup now...

Sheik+Zelda is probably 55:45 or 60:40 against half the cast in the upcoming build.

DDD's matchups haven't changed much ironically, except a couple key ones like Luigi (for worse) and Olimar/ICs (for better)... pluse those affected by infinites, obviously.

I think Ike's worst matchup is Olimar now. The d-smash angle buff (yes, it's most likely coming) will hopefully make it soundly 40:60, even if it is still Ike's worst.

Yoshi is really good against people without some degree of overkill now. You just can't finish him off, it's so irritating.

I honestly don't think Ganon will have any matchups worse than 40:60 in the next version, except maybe ICs as about 25:75?

I'm curious as to what people think Wario and Falco's worst matchups are.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Falco's worst matchups are still kirby, IC's and marth. None of them changed and he has no guaranteed damage against any of them.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yeah, the ICs are gonna still have the best matchups due to infanites...any plans for that? <.<

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
DDD's matchups haven't changed much ironically, except a couple key ones like Luigi (for worse) and Olimar/ICs (for better)... pluse those affected by infinites, obviously.
Someone who doesn't know the DDD matchups.
The Luigi infinite does not affect them until 200, so it does not affect the matchup.
Nothing has changed about the Olimar matchup. We still can't approach. Olimar has a tether recovery. He won't be jumping up to the stage for us to grab and use a highly situational dthrow spike.
The dthrow trick on ICs does nothing, because when we grab an ICs, they can hit us and then immediately grab us with the other an start the infinite.
You should not expect to be able to balance a character you know nothing about.
Maybe you should actually look into what makes matchups balanced before you attempt things like this, because adding situational 'goodies' isn't going to fix any of our bad matchups.
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/balancing-multiplayer-games-part-1-definitions.html

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You do know he got several forced regrabs on Luigi even at 0%, right (unless his dthrow was already stale)? That kinda sucks even if it's non-infinite (also, only amazing grab breakers last until 200%; most people will be caught in an infinite starting at around 130%). Luigi's low traction makes him really resistant to the tech chase, on the other hand. The edge throw really helps against ICs and Olimar on the other hand, and it's not even close to true that the ICs will always be together and ready to save each other (if they could stay together so easily, they'd be the best in the game by far and make MK look like trash).

We actually do understand King Dedede pretty well. He's probably BUFFED in Bbrawl and will need toning down in the future (though when the Throw Mod code is released, he'll be reworked with cleaner mechanics so who knows how that will turn out). It's just that overall the changes to him are mostly not very big matchup changers other than him no longer totally insta-winning DK and Bowser, and Wolf obviously does tons better.

Actually playing Bbrawl validates everything I've said in this post.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
DDD has no way possible to seperate ICs. Everyone of our attacks keep them together. This is why the matchup is 30:70.

Secondly, the dthrow spike is not usable on Olimar. He has a tether grab, and gimping was never a problem in the first place. The issue is approaching Olimar. DDD can in no way approach and has no way of getting because of his slow speed and size. Adding a gimping option for Olimar is pointless, especiallyits not something will land on an Olimar, and we can already gimp Olimar extremly well with Bair. The matchup is still 35:65.

Secondly, are you aware that in Street Fighter, the purposefully put in a 0-100 grab loop, and kept in in the HD Remix? Chain grabs do not destroy balance. You still avoid the issue of DDDs horrible matchups. Now, DDD has several even matchups, and a slew of horrible ones.

Name a single 60:40 matchup of DDDs that has been improved.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I assume you're talking about T.Hawk's throw loop, and it was NOT retained in HDR. In fact, every throw loop I know of in SF2 was removed (not just T.Hawk's infinite but also the long loops that Dhalsim, Balrog, and Ken could do). The closest thing to a throw loop in HDR is Chun Li's low distance throw to medium punch tick throw repeating, and that's really, really far from forced to say the least. You claim here is simply not correct.

ICs are honestly not really a part of our current balance right now anyway since we can't fix the main issue with them (we really need to be able to edit throws to address ICs at all), but it's not hard to separate them regardless. Just hit only one of them. They run one behind the other. Once they are at different damage, everything separates them. It's how I do it as G&W and it should work fine for DDD.

If Olimar is impossible to approach, the match is 100-0 Olimar wins. Obviously you can approach him somehow, and that probably involves grabbing him at least once. There's just no way this isn't helpful.

In response to the last question, Mr. Game & Watch.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Well sir
Gnw was never a 60:40 matchup. It might have even been in our favor lol.
uhmm IC climbers and olimar still **** d3 senselss and without the cg the matchup is even worse against ic's now. Olimar still ***** and now that we don't have a uthrow to actally keep him in the air to damage him while he attempts to get down i'd say it might even be 75:25 now. You kinda nerfed my character pretty hard. Not that i care or anything because I probably wont be playing this game, but just saying.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to cause DeDeDe's Inhale to kill Pikmin? (a la Ganon's lovely new U-Tilt.)

That might swing things a little too much, but it's a possibility.

Edit: I haven't tested the D3/Olimar BBrawl match-up yet though, so I don't know if any buffs are needed or not. I'm merely throwing it out there for consideration in case it is decided that D3 needs some help against Olimar.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
.... Perhaps Olimar is a polarizing character that needs to be addressed as a whole since many many characters can't handle him...

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Apparantely olimar AND IC are the match-up dominant characters right now. Darn, I thought snake would be :(

Top Bottom