• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
TomahawkφMan
So, I may be out of town but that won't stop me from advertising a set really quickly (especially since my Halloween plans are now done >.>). So...we have Tomahawk Man here, Plorf's second attempt at a solo set and the spiritual successor to Metal Man. How does Tomahawk Man hold up in comparison though? Quite well really. Tomahawk Man has some really great move interaction here...an absolute ton of his moves link up with another one in some shape or form and they all serve some kind of purpose. Not only this, but many of his attacks have some great concepts to them despite the source character simply throwing a tomahawk repeatedly.

Of course a set isn't without its downsides; Tomahawk Man is a tad bit wordy and a few of the move interactions have very limited use or aren't explained to the full extent of them. Fortunately though, the overall creativity and moveset unity displayed in Tomahawk Man is great. I highly suggest you give this one a read; it easily overshadows Ganesheriff.

_________

Also I'd like to extend a reaaaaaaally big thank you to Junahu for taking on the Recap while I was gone; I really, -REALLY- appreciate it! I'd also like to congratulate everyone on another complete MYM; I hope you guys all had fun and great job to everyone! Be back fully next week!

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
K.Rool's List of Eligible Voters

The Villains

Hyper_Ridley
MasterWarlord
KingK.Rool
Smash Daddy
Chris Lionheart

Junahu
agidius
MarthTrinity
BKupa666

The Peons

Wizzerd
Kholdstare
Katapultar
kirbywizard
darth meanie
Clownbot
n88_2004
JOE!
SkylerOcon
Darkurai
TWILTHERO
Frf
UserShadow7898
tirkaro
KoppaKirby
goldwyvern
Plorf

So after you have your three ads, send your votes, preferably to me, since I have a secretarianism fetish/compulsion and will be the one who tallies them. Whatever you do, don't send them to Warlord. Make sure you have 30, 6 of these being super votes worth 2 each. And try to keep a saved copy somewhere stored away, just in case I win and people suspect me of cheating. :bee:

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
BUBBLEMAN.EXE​

by darth meanie​

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8303027&postcount=1112

There are two MYMers who can claim to have made amazing leaps and bounds in quality this contest. JOE! is one, and darth meanie is the other. Bubbleman.exe's draw isn't an awesome mechanic or a laundry list of creative attacks. It's a genuinely different playstyle from this contest's slew of combo focused heavy weights. Bubbles for brains is a camp-happy coward that is bound to inspire frustration in any of his opponents, making this set a perfect representation of the character it's based upon. The attacks aren't dull, and they all have a purpose that fits into the playstyle. I wouldn't call this the best set ever and it does have a few flaws. The slightly long-winded writing style may put off those lacking patience and there's nothing truly mind-blowing, but there is much more to like about Bubbleman.exe then there is to hate.

I would be remiss to not mention Nanoha Takamichi, another set by darth meanie that has a beautifully unique playstyle and refined quality, Bubbleman.exe was the first of his to meet MYM6's higher standards. This annoying motherBLUBer is a charming set worth the time and patience it takes to read.

Junahu

Smash Ace

TAC
If it looks like a duck, has moves like a duck, repeats itself for lulz like a duck, and crack's jokes like a duck, what is it? A contraversially free-spirited moveset, apparantly
I don't think I'll sway anyone's opinion with this ad. Everyone knows where they stand with TAC, and most everyone stands on the ignorant side of the rock. I don't, and I can see TAC for what he truly is, the absolute distilled essense of moveset making.
Rool is a LOT smarter than I can possible give credit for, effortlessly fitting character and moveset together in ways I'll never understand. TAC is the epitome of Rool's ability to stay miles ahead of the curve.

Almost every one of TAC's attacks is the same, "copy the respective move from the opponent" with only minor changes to attack direction on some inputs. When reading, it really does make you feel as if you're wading through a jokeset. But all that serves to make the inspired playstyle all the more brilliant.
Rool truly understands the nuances and subtleties of TAC's "almost mirror match" playstyle, boiling it down into a simple three point program The more these three points apply to a given matchup, the harder the matchup is for TAC. Simple
  • Can the foe stop me getting his moves?
  • Does the foe have a beneficial special mechanic?
  • Are the foe's base statistics better than mine?
TAC's shining brilliance is that it achieves more, with what appears to be less effort. The mirror match is a quiet unspoken corner of MYM, one with limitless potential but noone brave enough to willingly explore it. Rool not only goes there and explores it, but comes back with humoured grin and a souvenier T-shirt that reads "I made matchups for half of MYM6 and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"

And if you still hate TAC, know this. In the distant future, when all MYM6 sets are considered absolute garbage, only TAC will remain relevant. The master of deception indeed...

Katapultar

Smash Lord
PENNYWISE THE DANCING CLOWN
By Bkupa666
Am I the only one who adores this epic set? Pennywise is the 4th MYM6 set by Kupa, who had been making some nasty villains during this time such as Hades. Yes it's a good occasion for Halloween, but in all seriousness, this set leaked out character from it in all areas of the set. This set showed the clown's personality so well for a manical clown, matching past sets such as Kefka and The Joker, that Im forced to love It for it's character. Kupa has demonstrated creativity throughout his sets, though at times it was just a random effect to appeal to the minds of creative MYM lovers. This is not so in this set, where Kupa still keeps his creative charm, keeps to the clown's playstyle of "salting the meat", and manages to be entertaining to the readers, especially those who have never seen the film or novel (I haven't at this point, but I did watch the Youtube link and it was WAY COOL!). Perhaps this set doesn't have the most mapped out playstyle of Kupa's sets ot creativity, but it's still quality stuff on the plate. Sadly, the set was booed at for character bias, something that's rather disgusting in MYM because nobody should ever reject a set just because a character is too scary, or they have never heard of them, EVER. I'd suggest you grow up then and get over your silly fear of clowns, and to do that you should read this great set.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I am the Great Mighty Poo

And I'm going to throw my sh*t at you

THE GREAT MIGHTY POO
By BKupa666

The Great Mighty Poo is my second favorite BKupa set (after Hades, of course), and perhaps one of my favorites in the entire contest. BKupa found so many variations of pooping and other bodily functions to exploit it isn't even funny, from simply throwing poo with his Side Special, to flicking it upwards for his Up Tilt, to making a shape out of it in his BAir. And the best part? There are no contrived mechanics, traps or props. Kupa took a sh*t on MYM and the poo came out smooth, without any diarrhea or constipation.

Of course, original, unique moves don't mean a thing if they don't contribute to the playstyle. Kupa reminds us why this is so true. All of Great Mighty Poo's moves contribute to his playstyle: and that playstyle is one of the simplest yet cleverest in MYM. The Great Mighty Poo spaces as he damage deals, and to KO, he must close the gap and KO the opponent by singing opera at them. How awesome is that?

So this moveset isn't all that sh*tty at all, really.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord

S C Y T H E R

So I was going to comment on Scyther, partly because I felt bad and partly to set an example and pray for a comment on Romero. Imagine my surprise when I found myself really, really liking him; so much, in fact, that I decided to roll the comment into an advertisement. You're all more likely to heed an advertisement, anyway.

The thing that'll turn many of you off is that most of Scyther's moveset is - dare I say it - generic. There are small tidbits added to most attacks to keep them somewhat interesting, but there's a fair share of slashes. What I'm saying to you now is that it doesn't matter. That Neutral Special...

Neutral Special: Double Team

A classic Scyther move, this works WAY differently from Lucario's. Scyther will fade out, and fade back in. After Scyther moves away from that spot, there will be another faded image of Scyther in place! Scyther may continue the battle as normal. This initial move takes about half a second (30 frames) which is quite fast considering its use.

From here, Scyther will be able to basically "teleport" back to this location again with just the tap of B again. Of course, we all know Scyther just moves really fast to that position, not teleports, but it's been modified to fit Brawl. It's pretty much instantaneous, with just 5 frames of lag before and 0 after. It may be harder to use, however, because the opponent can destroy the image Scyther with just one blow. Another interesting property is that Scyther will now become the still image while the playable Scyther switches to the spot of the image. The image may last up to 30 seconds untouched, before it disappears.

Now, for two obvious uses: combos and recovery. This move will add a previously unseen advantage. Scyther may finish up a combo, only to reappear in front of the foe to attack again (...like in Dragonball Z!) This adds a whole new dimension to what Scyther can do. With practice and training, this should be one of Scyther's main moves.

The recovery part is a bit trickier, however. Double Team may be used immediately after a momentum cancel aerial, which means it surpasses pretty much every other recovery. This move is limited in that the opponent may easily attack the image Scyther, negating the move, if you wait too long. If you can beat your opponent there, it's quite easily the best recovery available. If not, you may have to resort to using the mediocre Up Special.

There is a way to be more cautious though. You may use double team just off the ledge where the opponent cannot attack easily, and after being transported there, use your Up Special to arrive safely to the ledge.

0%
This attack could have been brought from the mind of the very best veteran. It single-handedly explains why so many attacks are simple - Scyther's playstyle is already more than deep enough without having creativity on every attack. This is a moveset from the simplicity movement, pretending to be a newcomer's first effort.

And of course, the other wonderful thing is how utterly SCYTHER this moveset is. From the slight but welcome touch of Swarm powering up his attacks the more he stacks them, like some unholy Fury Cutter... to the variety of slashes that are included and which never succumb to Pokemon syndrome, even though they be attacks like Double Edge and Knock Off... this moveset wholly encapsulates the Pokemon and makes it completely believable for Smash. There will always be room for simple, fitting, extremely readable and well organized Pokesets, no? Scyther would be an enlightened choice for one of your votes - come now, prove that you don't only read Warlord, Rool and Junahu, you slackers.

EDIT: And thanks for that wonderful advertisement, Junahu. Very much appreciated.

goldwyvern

Smash Ace
KHOLDSTARE BY KHOLDSTARE: Khold hadnt made a set since Shadow Beast in MYM4, which was a masterpiece of a great mechanic and some creative attacks. This set is his first set since, and you can tell he's still got it in him, and it's a lot better than before. This set has some amazingly well-designed moves and a great organization to it. Its freezing mechanic isnt over-used, but its got plenty of uses and ways to freeze opponents. This moveset is an example of how an MYMer should make a comeback if need be. Its one of my Supervotes, and I hope you choose to at least normal vote it.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

Anybody who refuses to give Toadsworth the recognition it deserves has a shriveled black heart (looking at you Rool). Meadow has always been one of the most underrated MYMers, maybe because of his massive, undeserved inferiority complex, or because of his unconventional usage of props. Whatever the case may be, Toadsworth is an excellent and charming set. Don't let Meadow's writing style fool you, Toadsworth has some very cool attacks, and he comes together into one of the most coherent playstyles I've seen. As anyone who has gotten into one of my SSB4 debates in the chat knows, Toad is fail but Toadsworth is win!

n88

Smash Lord
Negative Man

Pseudo-joke set or not, this is my favorite MT set of the contest (...but you'll probably vote for something else anyway. Why bother voting for something that's clearly not going to win?) . It practically bleeds personality, as the writing style perfectly captures the essence of the character. Attacks are creative, and all mesh together into a nice, in-character playstyle (Not that the playstyle's very good or anything...).

Of course there are some negatives (I'll say), mainly in the form of a few cop-outs, although most of those were corrected (I don't know why he bothered). Also, balance-wise, this set hits the low end of the spectrum, being a little under-powered (What's the point in winning anyway?). But overall, his was a superb effort for a set made in just two hours.

goldwyvern

Smash Ace
A PALE MOON RISES, AND IN THE DISTANCE A WOLF HOWLS.... WHAT LURKS BEHIND THAT SENILE SMILE, THAT BULBOUS NOSE, THOSE OVERSIZED GLASSES?

(((George A. Romero)))
GEORGE A. ROMERO: I know this is the last moveset of the contest and thus probably the freshest in our minds but MY GOD was this set good. Many sets have tried pulling of fan RTS-esque mechanic in a character, but Rool hit the nail on the head here and made a more fluid version of the lesser-made character style than Brawl's own Olimar. The move interactivity is superb, and the little things in how it is described just make it perfect for a Halloween set. I really want to see one of his movies one day. I did watch Shaun of the Dead yesterday though so that'll hold me over.

Also, this moveset has a 4-way matchup and the same organization as The Headless Horseman (who was also Halloween themed and the last moveset of a contest.) That should just about convince you.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Anne... Elmtod? What kind of name is that? And is that a camera she's holding?

Oh come on! This is just Donna again... isn't it?

So? You say that like it's a BAD thing...

Hector doesn't look enough like Phoenix Wright. Cloud of Darkness is totally broken and is being ironed into our minds by Kholdstare. Arche Kraine is cheap. Anne Elmtod is easily my favorite set of Juna-day, and that includes the strangely presented Arche. Many may have been discouraged by the little graphs, but they actually make the moveset easier to read once you get the hang of it, and once you get past it, there are some incredibly cool ideas. This is a moveset for a photographer. Let that sink in for a moment. And yet, Anne is very creative. Once you take a photograph, you can either use it to force the opponent to use an attack, become super armored against that attack, or get hit by an attack for recovery. Who could have thought of that? I wouldn't. Anne Elmtod definitely deserves a vote- super vote if you're like me- or at least a read (and don't get distracted by bikini Anne...).

Junahu

Smash Ace
I'd like to preface my third advertisement with a brief tale;​
Once upon a "one year ago", I was effectively laughed out of he building by stating that the way a moveset was presented had any effect on how it was recieved. Everyone piously believed they were completely free from bias and judged every moveset on the quality of its moves alone. As the months rolled on and I continued to sing the praises of nice looking sets, even making some of my own, people slowly began to understand my seemingly far-out point of view. A good looking set has a greater chance of being a good set overall.
A similar tale starts from roughly the same time, and has muchly the same plot. This time I was laughed out for emphasising uncreative moves for the sake of the overall moveset. After all, Sakurai is the black devil and any attempt to lower creativity was seen as sympathising with his evil cause. But this story too has a happier ending. MYMers awoke to playstyles and saw how simple moves are more conducive to reader comprehension.
So what was the point of my story, other than shamelessly pointing at the fact I was doing these things all along? Well, bluntly put, there is none. I simply wanted to explain some of the accumulative context behind my opinions. It has the side effect of showing you an unattractive wall of text, which brings me to...​

WILL AND FREEDAN

If there was ever a moveset that was universally avoided, this is it. And guess what? That makes you ignorant
Pk-ow has a very.. different view on what a great moveset is made of. He's the only one foresighted enough to think in literal brawl terms about how and what an attack would do when implemented. I'm sure most of you have seen one of his unique comments. He picks up on elements of movesets most of us would find trivial and focuses so harshly on it that the moveset's other failings/successes appear to fall by the way-side.
But now, after months of waiting (yes, I was waiting for it) we now have a moveset to tie to the man. And I am not dissapointed.

At the risk of repeating what I stated when I first saw it, Will and Freedan is not a moveset in the way we've come to understand it. Our movesets are trivially concerned with making the reader enjoy it, rather than making the character itself implementable. Will & Freedan is more akin to a design document, literally and occasionally blankly, stating its aims terminology and methods as if he were writing to a design team waiting for the final draft. More than any set we have ever had in this contest, Will & Freedan can be believably implemented and would stand under scrutiny from casual and competitive players alike. Every attack is steeped in tiny detail and has at least some form of intended purpose (as opposed to all those sets with filler aerials).
And it never, ever, compromises itself for the sake of the reader. And that's the crucial point of why Will & Freedan deserves your attention. This is ironically more of a moveset than any effort the rest of us have ever cobbled together. Compared to Will & Freedan, we're just sitting around the campfire, telling each other nursery rhymes

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver

Wheel Gator

Riding off the hype of Acid Seaforce (which won MYM5), Hyper_Ridley does another joint Megaman X Maverick set, but this time with the user who did Cortez as a joint set with him earlier, goldwyvern. Wheel Gator did not disappoint, however. Its creative but workable blend of attacks and streamlined playstyle that worked around KOing via a single trap worked wonders. Indeed, this is one of the first true joint sets that actually felt like an equal combination of both authors' work. Wheel Gator is definitely vote-worthy, and it would be an atrocity to not see it in the Top 50. This is a sign that, if not anything else, goldwyvern and Hyper_Ridley work well together more than possibly any other two joint makers in the contest. I highly recommend reading and voting for it.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman

"They were known as....The Space Invaders"

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8632277&postcount=1552

A brilliant but easy to miss set by KoppaKirby. He took a 'character' that could do nothing but fly one way, drop down, reverse direction, increase speed, and occasionally shoot downwards, and gave it a fully functioning set. The set is described by a scientist who's witnessed the destruction the invaders bring, adding a nice flavor and character to a set that one would expect it to lack. The moves are simple and easy to understand, making the set a short breezy read that can be enjoyed without taking up your precious time.

The set's creativity comes from the mechanic. Unlike many mechanics that tend to feel tacked on, Space Invaders' is perfectly integrated and an original take on the 'call in allies' mechanic. KoppaKirby found personality in these speechless, faceless, arcade game mooks and ran with it for a very satisfying set. Do yourself a favor and read it, it'll only take a few minutes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

"Today, the veggies and fruits...tomorrow, trees, flowers, grass...even fungus!"

Eggplant Wizard
My second favorite Wizzerd set is unfortunately overshadowed by Bubbles (my fav), but that doesn't subtract the general feel of 'wow' from the set. Eggplant Wizard takes the enemy from Kid Icarus to a whole new level with a momentum-based playstyle, focused on gradually turning his opponents into *gasp* eggplants. This mechanic, which could have (and very well might have) crashed and burned left to a lesser MYMer, is executed with utmost perfection and readability. Add into the mix the good wizard's fascinating options for stage control, and you've got a stellar moveset that conveys all of what this epic character has to offer. I strongly encourage everyone to reread this magnificent set that really never got due credit. Shame to those who dismiss this because of the delusion that the mechanic detracts from the set!

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
f l a r e o n

by KingK.Rool

When Rool posted the Eeveelutions, I was amazed at how he could pull off such an endeavor in a week. I was immmediately drawn to my favorite of the group, Flareon, as I always picked him in Pokemon when I had the choice. This was quite a good set, for many reasons. The organization and presentation is beautiful, nothing short of Rool's quality; it's like actually reading a fire, if you can imagine that. The originality is very nice, while it is not over the top it is certainly high on the pedestal. The mechanic, while some claim it is OOC, is brilliant- it gives Flareon the essence of fire, growing and consuming all in its path, but dieing out if left unattended. I don't know if the moves were made for the mechanic or the mechanic for the moves.

This still remains one of my favorite Rool Pokesets, and is definitely on my vote list. Much better than some of the more hyped Eeveelutions, such as Umbreon.​

n88

Smash Lord

Von Kaiser by SmashDaddy is my personal favorite of all the Punch-Out!! sets in the contest. Mostly because the set got me to go back on my Pichu-induced hatred for self-damaging characters. Indeed, Von Kaiser's self-damaging mechanic is combined with several healing moves and moves that change depending on your percentage, creating a playstyle that is completely unique to Von Kaiser.

There are even a few humorous references to Kaiser being beaten by children, topped off with a hilarious (If strange) Final Smash. An amazing set, all in all.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Takamaru

While this choice probably reeks of personal bias, Wizzerd's Takamaru is still a legitimately amazing set. The whole thing is pretty clear, easy to read, and manages to be quite creative without the use of any real gimmicks. And while many would object Takamaru's overuse of props, it's actually quite fitting given the source material.
But what I love the most out of this set is the general "feeling" of it. The pre-SSBB release sets for Taka all depicted him as a badass, stoic samurai, utilizing blazing fast sword skills mixed in with some of his props/powers. Yet this particular moveset serves as a quite enjoyable antithesis, emphasizing Takamaru's apprentice-ness, and playing up a lot of his goofy aspects. I also like how you mixed in quite a bit of Takamaru's ninja-esque elements, which was almost untouched upon in past movesets; Wasabi and Nunchaku, among other moves, perfectly complement this style, which would normally be completely out of place had this moveset gone in a different direction. And even so, what sword-based attacks he has actually have a pretty unique spin on them, his Fsmash being a perfect example. Bravo, sir.

The only real gripe I have with this set is that Wizzerd tends to make Takamaru seem a lot weaker than he actually is. Like you said, fast character=lolgodtier. Probably a pretty crude abridging, but you know what I mean.

n88

Smash Lord
Mewtwo

I never met a Pokemon I didn't like. Wait... yes I did. All of them except for Mewtwo. Mewtwo is the only Poke that I ever really liked, and I'm thrilled to see a set for him which does not primarily involve Mewtwo beating people with his tail. The implementation of telekinesis is near-perfect, and the various moves are different and logical with no signs of Pokemon syndrome. Together, these attacks portray Mewtwo as a powerful psychic, something his actual Smash incarnation lacked.

That's not to say the set was perfect. A few moves are insanely powerful, and there's a certain line of green text that I hate to see in the middle of the set, but this is nonetheless an accurate depiction of one of my favorite characters, and definitely worth a read. Thank you, JOE! and meanie.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Ludicolo

Masterwarlord​

If you got rhythm then you have better read this moveset. Combined with beautiful music, and the magical movement of water you have a truly beautiful set. Ludicolo actually uses the power of dancing to the music to summon a large amount of water on to the stage, and you always have at least one of his own songs to dance every time you pick him. I feel sorry for any sap that didn't read this moveset. This was one of my favorite Masterwarlord sets in this entire contest. Now maybe the main problem would be trying to get into the dancing spirit when your opponent is attacking you but hey it's a duck like monster thing.. . . . .what more could you want?

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Here's a double feature of advertisments! D:

Slugma by FrF

An early moveset that could possibly be considered a hidden gem, Slugma expertly pulls off a playstyle centered around stage control. While this is a style that has been seen before, Slugma pulls it off in unique fashion with poison and fire-based attacks, as well as an extremely fitting magma mechanic that takes advantage of a pokemon that's entirely made of the stuff! There is a bit of pokemon syndrome in this set, but it hardly takes away from the awesomeness that is slugma!

Paper Mario by SkylerOcon and Wizzerd

May I first say that I haven't played a PM game *ducks shoe*. Anyway, this is an Ocon set, so you know that it emphasizes playstyle. Even more impressive is how PM's partners are integrated into the playstyle so seemlessly. The whole idea of having multiple partners has been explored before, but this set perfects it. I would say more but... I must rush out right now. This set is good, really. (wary)

also... my third advertisment and the MYM awards will be up soon. :)

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Banette

Katapultar​

Katapultar is hardly the best moveset maker in this competition, but he created a winner with Banette. A moveset that boasts a completely unique playstyle that never compromises on its main concept, it does something that no other moveset has done before. The only way to do any damage whatseover as Banette is by sharing the damage they gave you.

What impresses me so much about this set is that unlike other sets that Katapultar has made, this one continues to improve upon the main concept of the set in the standards and aerials, focusing entirely on surviving so you can share the pain with the opponent. Interesting KO moves, a focus on debuffing yourself to do more damage, the ideas are all incredible.

I'll be honest, its a difficult read with Katapultar's writing style, and while its implemented well, its far from perfect. I beseech anyone who overlooked this set because of the author to give it a second read and see just how amazing it really is. This set deserves it.

This opinion is endorsed by MasterWarlord

RollerCoaster Tycoon

MasterWarlord​

I know MW gives me flak for liking this set so much, but I don't care. RollerCoaster Tycoon was an absolutely brilliant set in my book. It takes the entire concept of Brawl, kicks it out a window, and plays a brand new game. MW implemented it litterally as well as it possibly could be implemented, including everything from Park Prices, ATM machines, Drink Stalls and Bathrooms to handbuilt RollerCoasters and made it all work within the bounds of the Gamecube Controller.

I won't pretend this set was perfect. It had a lolworthy Final Smash and some weird, Match-up relevant weaknesses, but it was still a fantastic read and good thought experiment.

MW, you may say that no one should vote for it, that it wasn't really a set. I still say that it was a fantastic idea, and a phenomenal example of what we can do in MYM. Brilliant work here.

goldwyvern

Smash Ace
THE COUNT by MASTERWARLORD: This moveset will apparently win the contest. why advert it then? whatever *votes*.

. . .

So anyway, if you haven't read this set, please do so. right now. Ill wait...you done? Good. Now, you probably see why this set should be on almost any voting list. This set was brilliantly made with plenty of original, in-character moves taking no unneccesary liberties to enhanse the experience. To add onto that, the only bias that could be generated for this set are from the sets maker and one other person, so Im not exaggerating too much. Zondark's mini-moveset alone is more quality than a couple other full movesets of the contest. please vote/SV this moveset, if only so MW will stop whining about never winning.

Smady

Smash Master

DR WILY
by UserShadow

This moveset was heralded at the time as US's best, I think it still stands as that now and is well worth a read, as well as a vote if you have any spare. It encapsulated all you could want out of a Wily moveset, with the incorporation of every of Mega Man's most beloved enemies in ways that makes perfect sense for Smash. Shadow really sponges up every ounce of potential in the character and as a fan of the series, it's a real treat.

For non-fans of Mega', it still deserves a read for its excellent "summons, not traps" playstyle and informative data on Mega Man and its robotic, cyborg-loving nature, all evident in this moveset. As much as it represents Wily with zeal, I'd think that it would engage anyone who likes platforming games and can relate to these headstone monsters. It simply makes sense, is coherent and enjoyable.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Also, here are some comments from a little while ago that I may as well post now, given that they'd be entirely out-of-place in MYM7, plus I wanted to respond to the great TAC advertisement in some way.

Ah, Junahu. Your Mega Man 9 moveset is magnificent and Cutesy was one of the best movesets period, your MYM ‘birthday’ certainly deserves celebration. You’ve defined MYM from many angles.

But enough praise, as we move on to
Hector, the first in your triple threat of movesets posted in merriment of your big day. To start off, I just have to comment on your awesome music selection [especially in Final Fantasy’s section] and also on the organisation of Hector particularly. I honestly feel this is one of the strongest organisations I’ve ever seen, with no weak points whatsoever. It’s a real treat to read through Hector and one can see the true effort you go to in making a clean and concise experience just that bit more special.

It’s a shame, however, that this beautiful organisation is compared to the slightly vague writing style. Focusing on the mechanic, it’s not explained all too well how everything works. Battle spirit is described as basically the result of onslaught, lacking in any specific mention of how much is denoted to this or much deliberation on how it works. It seems lax, but it almost works to your favour in being general and thus hard to criticise – almost. You’ve simply gone too far when the overlying mechanic is confusing.

The arbitrary nature of many of his moves is indicative of a similar flaw in the thought put into Hector. What’s good is the accuracy of them according to Hector and they’re all well-explained for their simple enough protocols, but it’s just not up to scratch. Hector’s playstyle seems far too hectic and unorganised.

Off of those kind words, I still really, really enjoyed Hector. As I told you in the chat room, I adore the “lowdown” section – like your old “make your own codec,” it’s just an absolutely charming and delightful piece that adds many times its weight in substance to the set. As one would expect, all the extras are somewhat redundant, but at least have personality and are cared to well by you. It’s a pleasant package.

So I can’t say I’m a massive fan of Hector’s moveset, but, as with Sho, I was happy to read along and it was handled extremely well for the concept you gave him. Its only flaw is indeed in that concept – I see what you were trying to do by giving him the basic moveset with some quirky mechanics, to make him better-suited for Smash – but I feel this kind of thing is best left to people like Ocon or UserShadow. In all, I still recommend this one and it’s a farking great moveset despite its downfalls.

---

Oh wow, a character from perhaps my least favourite Final Fantasy, and you actually make it seem interesting. Again, great organisation – it’s quite compelling, although not as good as Hector, dare I say. The vertical oblong shapes that colour some of the lower paragraphs don’t fit at all, there’s some odd neon in here-and-there; there’s stuff in that makes no connection visibly to
Cloud of Darkness, but which you just felt looked cool. I suppose I expected too much from the beginning, though – it’s still fantastic, it only makes you appreciate Hector all the more.

The moveset itself is actually stronger than Hector’s coincidently. CoD’s presence comes through proudly and there’s a good reliance on Final Fantasy’s memes, which I loved. These are served the best in backward throw, oddly enough. The only bad part of it is again this writing style. I think it’s most evident in the neutral special, where you say that the void can “KO instantly,” then backtrack to say only at 200%, then backtrack to say it KOs more when it’s higher…It’s a unique take on the styles, but ****, this is very much bizarre. I feel that with some proper highlighting of each area, you’d be better off than with your current storytelling-like methods.

There’s something brilliant about the playstyle you’ve woven here, I think. The up special is given little thought, but really is a great concept. The use of voids – teleports, I suppose – as both deadly and heavenly blessings is a great addition to the already running theme of duality which the character has. It as well boasts a great balance between playstyle and accuracy, culminating in a moveset that is for Cloud, but halfway good for Smash as well. I mean, it’s the standardised moveset concept that we’d all expect from you, but you make this way of thinking endearing in your writing and you’ve shown again how versatile you can be by diverting heavily from Hector.

One thing I feel I must say, though, is… what in the hell is that stage? You explain it terribly and I don’t understand how it works – oh, of course, they just ‘play on the stage.’ Surrounded by so many excellent and well-explained ideas for the stage, it’s baffling to not read any explanation of the stage itself, but I figure it’s an intention of yours to leave it unexplained. As usual, your other extras are fricking awesome. Lots of good stuff here, but I’m probably part of the minority in preferring Hector

---

Ah,
Donna. This was really before my time in MYM3, as I had just joined with Vivi by the time it ended and read only a few moveset. I remember MasterWarlord and Mendez commenting, as well as a lot of “newcomer” comments which are still present in today’s MYMing. Much like Donna for you, Vivi was my first real foray into MYMing, but was far less successful. You really nailed the idea back then and I was always impressed by your movesets, waiting for a sequel set of sorts.

However, despite that build-up, I’m not really a fan of Anne’s moveset itself. I find the whole image thing pretty stupid, as much as I respect all the time and effort put into it. It just seems wholly unnecessary [as you I think put it] and indeed, your hype in the upcoming hours to posting this moveset were well-endowed. It’s a very cool idea and with some tweaking it would be awesome, but as is, it just seems excessive and needs to be tampered with in mind to appreciate.

Onto the moveset itself, though, and as stated, I’m not enthralled by anything displayed. By far the best moves – the picture manipulation – are placed in the specials, with everything else just seeming a tad off-key in comparison. I liked the comparison MW made to Hippo in both him and Anne being acrobats, it rings very true when reading the moveset. It’s not all that bad, but it’s not as good as Cutesy or the original Donna, mainly because times have moved on.

Still, there are a lot of positives about the moveset. It has fantastic organisation and absolutely charming imagery, as usual with your movesets. Again, it’s stunning how well you lay things out and it’s exquisitely easy to read or navigate. Even though the “move motion” picture gimmick is a little undercooked, it’s a phenomenal effort and enjoyable. The playstyle sections are all thoughtful and well-written. The extras are the usual personality-with-interest chakra that you displayed many times before this example.

And as I round off with the shortest comment of the three, I think Anne is probably my least favourite of them, but it’s still a great moveset and certainly better than the sum of its parts. There’s not so much to say about the playstyle or moveset itself, but it’s enjoyable and that’s all that truly matters. And I definitely stand against the curve in saying, Hector > CoD > Anne, so go me.

---

TAC is a real perplex of a moveset, it boasts one of the most intrusive and substantial playstyles I’ve ever seen, but fails to ignite much on its own. By that I mean, it doesn’t really add a whole lot of its own influence to what it essentially steals from everyone else; the whole concept is lost on me. It’s like a Ditto moveset or something, yet I do see the appeal of this sort of thing – your playstyle and match-up sections are extremely enjoyable. It is really the essential TAC moveset in some regards, but yeah, it really isn’t up to your MYM6 standard.

It is, however, a very humbled, conscientious approach that makes this moveset enjoyable. It’s unique in being absolutely and completely playstyle-oriented, with some minor organisational presence, but practically no creative input besides the obvious ‘claw’ that is re-used ad hominem, though for as meritous a cause as any. Therefore, it’s quite confusing. I like the match-ups, the attempt at taking a new direction in this piece, but evidently it needed further development to be substantial. What we have here is really Mr. Mirror Match - but hey, why not? He makes a fine addition to the archive and at least presents a new argument in MYMing philosophy in creativity balancing with playstyle.

---

Ah, a Wizzerd moveset; Slowpoke. To start off, your organisation is a very basic, neo-Kibble approach that is pretty good. Surely, this is the one of the more minimalistic organisations, although hardly original. This does tie in with the ‘theme’ of laziness, though. Your writing style is very good too, in an area I feel you’ve only improved.

Onto the moveset; it’s good, but very unequivocal in dealing with balance, as well as in balancing the concepts presented. With Kaiser, I was careful not to present too broken a playstyle with the healing and created several disadvantages to make it a more intrinsic, rather than easily-manipulated process, but Slowpoke does not have these attributes. I like the concepts, indeed – it is, as with TAC, the kind of Slowpoke moveset anyone would want, but it seems ironically lax in dealing with crucial questions, mainly surrounding how one approach Slowpoke at all. He’s not so much a master at stalling as a master of, well, everything.

As it was made in a day, I’m not surprised it’s of discerning quality, but ‘Poke isn’t terrible by any means. It’s solid in some areas and I did enjoy the move interactions, it just reeks of Pokémon syndrome and brokenness.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8266277&postcount=1081

I love Chris Lionheart's take on The Black Knight for several reasons, but the main reason is for its practicality. I'm not saying it's the most unique set in terms of the character's playstyle (although a combo focused heavyweight was fairly original at the time), yet I can picture it so perfectly in a standard smash bros. match. Not to say it's a bland set, however, since the specials in particular fit so well when you look at the big picture. The organization here is definitely up there, as it looks good without being downright obnoxious.

Instead of giving the Black Knight a mechanic just for the sake of being unique or to add an extra paragraph in his playstyle section, Chris does a brilliant job in making a set with a near perfect balance of attacks that can actually be pictured in a regular Brawl match, as well as the fun, crazy ones. The next big step for MYM, or a set Sakurai could've made? Your choice.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Anybody who refuses to give Toadsworth the recognition it deserves has a shriveled black heart (looking at you Rool).
I didn't even do anything this time! :urg:

It's just a Mushroom, is all. Jimny made a moveset for a Mushroom. I mean, Jesus Christ, man. Is this not enough for you?

Well, apparently not, so let me count the ways Mushroom is a fantastic set and definitely well worth a vote. See, Mushroom has four forms - Super, Poison, Mini, and Mega. Each is underpowered in terms of stats but can, through Side Special, simply slide forward and, upon touching the foe, grant them its current state. This is one of the best ideas in MYM, and you know why? Because it can't just be grafted onto any old character. Jimny has, with this set, done things that are only possible with Mushroom. MYM is about adapting characters to Brawl, first and foremost. Not concepts, characters.

The main things that can turn you off from this set are a few prop moves and awkward writing style. The former I think you'll forgive; I mean, all the aerials and tilts are Mushroom-based attacks, there's only so much you can do with his body type. The latter becomes quite charming once you get into it.

If you're depriving yourself of this lovely moveset, you're discriminating against character and MYMer. You're nothing but a no-good racist, even. Don't be racist. Vote Mushroom.

While I'm here, I may as well remind you all...

Kibble's swan song also happens to be pretty much his best set ever. Adeleine is one who improves with every read; seriously, revisit it for yourself and see how well it has aged. She has playstyle, even though she sadly lacks a playstyle section, and every attack is intriguing at the least. I don't even have to mention how lovable Kibble's writing style always was, or how pleasant her organization is, or how ahead-of-the-times the music in the headers was. It's a fantastic set and I trust none of you have forgotten it.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
So MYM... it's that time again! Voting for the MYM Awards is now open! And since I'm too lazy to link all the nominated sets this time, just follow the link to The Canvas in the first post of this thread. Now without further ado...

(and by the way... there are no voting restrictions for the MYM Awards. Just thought you should be aware. :) )

MYM 6 Awards: The Nominees

Best Moveset Designer (choose 5)
MasterWarlord
KingK.Rool
Bkupa666
Junahu
Hyper_Ridley
Agidius
Chris Lionheart
MarthTrinity
Smash Daddy
Darth_meanie
half_silver28
Wizzerd
SkylerOcon
Usershadow7989
FrF
Dancingfrogman
Katapultar
Plorf
JOE!
Kholdstare

Best New Designer (choose 2)
n88_2004
Apemasta’
32° Centigrade
koppakirby
kirbywizard
_calming_rain_
PK-ow!
Dokutayuu

Best One-Hit Wonder (choose 2)
Adeleine (SirKibble)
Will & Freedan (PK-ow!)
Von Kaiser (Smash Daddy)
Slaking (32° Centigrade)
Soma Cruz (Onishiba)
Mighty Gazelle (Dokutayuu)
The Engineer (Sonic the Baron)
Toadsworth (Meadow)

Best Pokemon Moveset (choose 6)
Kangaskhan (KingK.Rool)
Vaporeon (KingK.Rool)
Jolteon (KingK.Rool)
Flareon (KingK.Rool)
Espeon (KingK.Rool)
Umbreon (KingK.Rool)
Leafeon (KingK.Rool)
Glaceon (KingK.Rool)
Slugma (FrF)
Hitmonlee (FrF)
Hitmonchan (FrF)
Hitmontop (FrF)
Abomasnow (Darth_meanie)
Magnezone (Darth_meanie)
Darkrai (Darth_meanie)
Ludicolo (MasterWarlord)
Clefable (Junahu)
Shadowdeth (Original Pokemon by Dancingfrogman)
Trainer Gold (TWILTHERO)
Metagross (SkylerOcon)
Rival Trainer (JOE!)
Slaking (32° Centigrade)
Flygon (Chris Lionheart)
Tauros (MarthTrinity)
Poliwrath (Jimnymebob)
Slowpoke (Wizzerd)
Banette (Katapultar)
Espeon (_calming_rain_)
Mewtwo (JOE! and Darth_meanie)
Scyther (Hobs)

Best Punch-Out!/Boxer Moveset (choose 2)
Bald Bull (MasterWarlord)
Bear Hugger (MasterWarlord)
Mr. Sandman (MasterWarlord)
Little Mac (MarthTrinity)
Von Kaiser (Smady Daddy)
Joe Calzaghe (Junahu)
King Hippo (KingK.Rool)
Hitmonchan (FrF)
Great Tiger (Kholdstare)
Bear Hugger (kirbywizard)
Disco Kid (Bkupa666)

Best Moveset Mechanic (choose 6)
Adeleine (SirKibble)
Sloth (MasterWarlord)
Ludicolo (MasterWarlord)
Roller Coaster Tycoon (MasterWarlord)
The Count (MasterWarlord)
Clefable (Junahu)
Joe Calzaghe (Junahu)
Hector (Junahu)
Anne N. Elmtod (Junahu)
Kangaskhan (KingK.Rool)
King Hippo (KingK.Rool)
Umbreon (KingK.Rool)
Zant (KingK.Rool)
Magnezone (Darth_meanie)
Nanoha Takamachi (Darth_meanie)
Thrall (Chris Lionheart)
Servbot (Usershadow7989)
Slugma (FrF)
Hades (Bkupa666)
Mekuri Master (tirkaro)
Thief Khee’bler (Agidius)
Von Kaiser (Smash Daddy)
Bubbles (Wizzerd)
Paper Mario (SkylerOcon and Wizzerd)
Velociraptors (JOE!)

Best Playstyle (choose 7)
Adeleine (SirKibble)
Sloth (MasterWarlord)
Guttony (MasterWarlord)
Mr. Sandman (MasterWarlord)
The Count (MasterWarlord)
Flareon (KingK.Rool)
Espeon (KingK.Rool)
Zant (KingK.Rool)
George A. Romero (KingK.Rool)
Clefable (Junahu)
Arche (Junahu)
Hector (Junahu)
Cloud of Darkness (Junahu)
Bubbleman.EXE (Darth_meanie)
Nanoha Takamachi (Darth_meanie)
Hades (Bkupa666)
Bleak (Bkupa666)
The Great Mighty Poo (Bkupa666)
Bubbles (Wizzerd)
Vaati (SkylerOcon)
Paper Mario (SkylerOcon and Wizzerd)
Specter (Usershadow7989)
Spadefox (Hyper_Ridley)
Raven (half_silver28)
Von Kaiser (Smash Daddy)
The Black Knight (Chris Lionheart)
Kholdstare (Kholdstare)
Maximillion Pegasus (Dancingfrogman)
Mewtwo (JOE! and Darth_meanie)
Toadsworth (Meadow)

Funniest Moveset (choose 2)
Robo-Link (tirkaro)
Mekuri Master (tirkaro)
Robo-Link MKII (tirkaro)
Pikachu Remix (tirkaro)
Mara (tirkaro)
Oliver (kirbywizard)
Bear Hugger (kirbywizard)
The Great Mighty Poo (Bkupa666)
Negative Man (MarthTrinity)
Vegeta (JOE!)

Most Improved Designer (choose 4)
SkylerOcon
half_silver28
Darth_meanie
Wizzerd
FrF
Bkupa666
TWILTHERO
Usershadow7989
Katapultar
JOE!
Kholdstare
Apemasta’

Most Helpful MYM Poster (choose 2)
MasterWarlord
KingK.Rool
Junahu
MarthTrinity
Smash Daddy
Hyper_Ridley
Chris Lionheart
Wizzerd
Darth_meanie
half_silver28

Funniest MYMer (choose 3)
TheSundanceKid
Kholdstare
MarthTrinity
MasterWarlord
SkylerOcon
KingK.Rool
Plorf
Smash Daddy
TWILTHERO
Junahu
kirbywizard
tirkaro

Best Moveset Reviewer (choose 2)
MasterWarlord
KingK.Rool
Hyper_Ridley
Bkupa666
MarthTrinity
Agidius
Smash Daddy
Chris Lionheart
Junahu
SkylerOcon
half_silver28

Best Villain (choose 2)
MasterWarlord (Envy, The Green)
KingK.Rool (Giovanni, The Grey)
Hyper_Ridley (Ridley, The Purple)
Chris Lionheart (The Black Knight)
Agidius (Dr. Wily, The Blue)
MarthTrinity (Wesker, The White)
Smash Daddy (Ganondorf, The Red)
Junahu (Cutesy Beau, The Orange)
Bkupa666 (Bowser, The Yellow)

MYM 6 WINRAR (choose 4)
King K.Rool
MasterWarlord
Hyper_Ridley
Agidius
Junahu
Darth_meanie
Chris Lionheart
Smash Daddy
MarthTrinity
Wizzerd
Bkupa666
SkylerOcon
UserShadow7989
half_silver28
FrF
Katapultar
Kholdstare
Plorf

Special Award: Most Missed MYMer (choose 4)
SirKibble
Chief Mendez
Iron Thorn
Tanookie
KoJ
Pelikinesis
~Cruxis~
Cheap_Josh
Darkserenade
Commander Blitzkrieg
HeoandReo
GreatClayMonkey
Lenus Altair
Spadefox

Send all of your votes to me in a PM. Voting on the Awards will end on November 8th at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time. Have fun! :bee:

half_silver28

Smash Ace
I apologize for the double post, but I wanted to get this out before I started getting mass votes for the awards. Furthermore I wa- *is chased off by an angry mob*

Specter is a set that has had 9001 revisions since it’s been last posted, which have changed the set for the better. Specter has a playstyle befitting a cocky final boss with psychic powers. He focuses on using defensive moves to make up for his extremely low weight and distracting the opponent with annoying minions, then going on the offensive. Specter can use both aerials and projectile attacks equally well, and can turn his defensive buffs into offensive attacks with a few moves. He can even interact with his minions by grabbing and throwing them. It’s needless to say that there are no bland or pointless moves to be found in this set.

Specter is a great set that you should probably give another read before you make your votes, even if you already read him before, since I’d bet that he’s been edited at least five times since then. :p

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Absolutely fantastic moveset we’ve got here. I still consider this above Rool’s final Halloween efforts, and Romero is absolutely amazing in his own right, so that should certainly say something right off bat. Zant was near instantenously added to countless SV lists at his release, although it’s a shame he’s been somewhat overshadowed by the trio of sets at the end of the contest (Spearheaded by the afore-mentioned Romero).

Zant has to create twilight in which he uses his alternate combo heavyweight moveset with. He has so many ways to manipulate and create the twilight right off the bat that this part alone is fascinating, but even then, Zant’s alternate moveset is better then any of the other combo heavyweights (Spearheaded by Rool’s own King Hippo) we have and could qualify as a fine moveset all on it’s own. Considering that you don’t even have to read this gem of an (alternate) moveset to understand the playstyle and it’s shoved aside for the even better main moveset speaks all the more about the god which is Zant.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
How are we to evaluate the "One-Hit Wonder" field?

The best one-off moveset as a one-off moveset? I'm not sure I get it.

I mean, I know which of those I think are the best two sets, but... that's basically a moveset vote, which I get to cast because it's an award, and only among movesets which (if I understand) are singular to their creator?

Confusion.
(PK-ow! takes 1.0x damage from the Psychic attack due to his droning, featureless, Normal type.)

I'm gonna do a lotta research to make my choices authentically. For some fields I guess I'll sit it out; don't think I can say who is 'most missed' (though I do miss Spadefox), don't believe I can get behind the hype of Punch-Out!...

I want to recognize and thank every Villain, and every person for every comment. I don't think I'll cast a vote in those fields.

Almost glad I didn't qualify for voting proper... I wouldn't have been able to do proper review of the earlier half of the contest. There are some gems out there. :)

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Last MYM, funny sets were divided into Funniest Joke Sets and Funniest non Joke Sets. Though I guess that Vegeta and Pikachu Remix both come together as qualifying sets.

Double advertisement...

[size=+7]Trainer Gold[/size]
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8066109&postcount=646
[size=+2]By TWILTHERO[/size]
There are some sets that have a lot of effort put into them, but are somewhat overshadowed. Trainer Gold is one of them. Making a Poketrainer set takes some good effort with 3 sets in 1, and TWILTY went the extra mile to make one. I myself believe that anyone who puts a big pile of effort in a moveset like that, and even if they don't bring up the best results, still deserve a good pat on the back for trying. Trainer Gold itself was easy to read, an improvement over TWILTHERO's previous 2 MYM6 sets as stated by other MYMers. This set had some good creativity to it, such as Politoed's Perish Song, which was also made to be balanced. The Final Smash also was probably one of the best done for a set, using Ho-oh and even telling the readers what the dogs do despite it being the same as in the real Smash games, something we would much rather say as being the same as in-game. The set had many enjoyable quirks to it, interactions with the 3 pokemon's weather moves. This is definitely TWILTHERO's best moveset ever (In my thoughts, I love Drake and Josh though), and it's a lost gem of the MYM6 past that deserves to be gone back over and read for anyone who forgot about this set's precense in this comp.

[size=+7]Magnezone[/size]

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8092987&postcount=731
[size=+2]By darth meanie[/size]
darth meanie is a deserving MYMer of the MYM6 era who most certainally deserves a leadership position in MYM7 when the time comes. His comments have helped me improve in this competition, so I have him to thank for my growth in set making.

As for his set, Magnezone was possibly dm's leap forth in set making. Magnezone shines organisation within the set for the use of magnet and electric colors so that's it's easy to distinguish what you're reading rather than having to dive further in for a check. One of the amazing things about this set is this little phrase:
(Electricians and physicists are hereby excused to swear at the computer screen for misrepresenting magnetism at a fundamental level. Let it all out, it won't be the last time I do it. I'm well aware that electromagnets only attract, that North and South, positive and negative, and attraction and repulsion are not in any way the same, and that there is no such thing as positive electricity. Its only a moveset.)
Great job there. Anyway, the magnets are fun quirks in the set, these having some fun stage control properties. There's also some great moves in there, noticeably Magnet Bomb, and they don't have Pokemon Syndrome to make it OOC. This is a great pokemon set, and moveset overall to show dm's big step of improvement in MYM. Here on afterwards would mark when he would create even better quality sets, that of such as the pokemon people liked doing sets for but didn't grasp it: DARKRAI. This states that not only should you give this set a read, but all dm sets after this one.

Smady

Smash Master

THRALL
by Chris Lionheart

A patron of this contest since its second incarnation, Chris wowed many with his Black Knight moveset later in the contest and certainly turned some heads with Flygon as well, but many overlooked Thrall due to comparisons made to another similar moveset of his, Arthas. I feel this is very undeserved - on its own, this set deserves massive amounts of praise.

For one, the mechanic is absolutely brilliant and detailed to a tee. Thrall is dependant on a building, or summoning manipulation that has him building Warcraft III's Orc architecture, then in turn using them for various uses. Different sorts of units can be summoned from certain buildings and you can only build certain amounts or kinds, allowing the player freedom in choosing, emphasizing strategy in picking out the best possible combination. This is all described brilliantly by Chris, if only a little bit badly-organised and I feel this counter-intuitive, super detail may turn off some, but it's still definitely worth a look in. It would also be unfair to ignore Chris' massive efforts, Thrall standing as one of the longest movesets in this contest.

The moveset for Thrall himself is also very true to his character and game, as well as functioning properly in the summoning playstyle. Chris keeps this in mind throughout much of the narrative of the set - although it could indeed have been more cohesive, Thrall represents an older type of moveset where every tic and cranny was put in the spotlight, scrutinised, then atom bombed continuously by detail, at least in regards to the mechanic. Though this may not be the way forward for moveset making, it's still a massive accomplishment and I feel the death of this kind of effective only makes this a more worthy read.

Smady

Smash Master

HECTOR
by Junahu

On that fabled day where Junahu posted three amazing movesets, this one was definitely downplayed by its author and other austenite comments, but my opinion certainly differs greatly. The organisation, writing style, knowledge, pure effort and readability in general of this moveset are amazing. I truly believe this is Junahu's greatest work - on the level of Cutesy at times and far better than Cloud of Darkness, Arche, Clefable and Donna.

Those are some large claims and I can't really ratify them completely - just going through Hector, though, you see staples of Junahu's movesets in a perfect combination that would have one agree with the above. In terms of organisation, it is simply the best [next to Arche, at least] - every move is animated and it's all thematic [Cutesy]. The playstyle is on par with Clefable in terms of lateral thinkng, combined with some leaps of faith on part of the reader; not the best in the world, but competent and it shines next to everything else. The truth to the character is stirring in its accuracy [Cloud of Darkness?] and the writing is well-orchestrated by Junahu, particularly in its quirky, hilarious antics. All can relate to this humour, especially that found in the specific extra sections and the self-parody is more mature than in any other moveset.

Enough of the positive stuff - there's much to answer for in terms of unfounded criticism. Many say Hector has generic moves that lack creative impulse, but this is an obvious attempt by Junahu to create a playstyle and this is enforced by the villain himself. Some say its playstyle is lacking, but honestly, the amount of potential for a diverse playstyle with this character was limited and, in that regard, it's great... that's about it. Compared to his other, more praised sets, it is certainly the most enjoyable to read and excels in its organisation , writing, simple goodnesses. It isn't mindblowing, no, but it does everything well, a rare accomplishment while inventing something entirely new, with little to work with. Go read!

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Advertisement 3

Bubbles

Wizzerd​

I'm a sucker for movesets that go against the flow, as you can see from my RCT and Banette picks. And Bubbles eschews regular fighting for something completely different. Fighting not the opponent, but your own traction for the fight. Normally, I'm opposed to having to fight through your control like that, but Bubbles handles options and techniques well enough that I'm hard-pressed not to like it, at least from a design standpoint.

Bubbles isn't flawless. Its hard to handle, and has some wonky wording in places where clarity is important for understanding the move. Its also probably one of the lower tier characters we've seen submitted. Beyond those flaws though, Bubbles is a well-implemented concept that is a testament to how you can pull great ideas out of simple characters. I have a character in the works right now that has similar traction issues, and I can guarantee I'll be looking at this set a lot for ideas.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I like movesets that go against the flow, too, so let's go with another underappreciated set - for very unfair reasons, at that.

Pegasus was posted fairly recently, so I don't need to remind you too much of whose set it is and the story behind it. Suffice to say that most of MYM had decided to dislike it well before it was posted, which is absolutely preposterous. It's a wonderful, even transcendant set.

The key is to look at the monsters as an extra. Don't go into their movesets expecting creativity and good writing style and all those other little tidbits - expect highly relevant, simplistic, playstyle-oriented sets. Hell, don't expect anything at all; skip them. The specifics are irrelevant. All that matters is Pegasus' amazingly creative core moveset - his utterly spot-on mechanic - his brilliant use of magic and trap cards and the perfect implementation of a whole damn card game into Brawl. There's been some talk of how, now that playstyles are perfected, the next step will be working on creative ones. Pegasus' isn't just creative, it's unique. Nobody functions quite like him.

Now, some misconceptions:

1. Pegasus is too long.
    Pfft. As I've said, if you skip the monsters but for their relevant playstyle sections the moveset is a ten-minute read, tops.
  2. DFM's writing style is unreadable.
    If you have the attention span of a spoon, maybe. He's definitely improved and in this case there's so much to talk about that his overdetail isn't nearly as egregious.
  3. Those monsters have no creativity. TRY HARDER NOOB.
    I think you kinda missed the point. Approach the moveset from a different angle. Please.

K.Rool's List of Eligible Voters

The Villains

Hyper_Ridley
MasterWarlord
KingK.Rool
Smash Daddy
Chris Lionheart

Junahu
agidius
MarthTrinity
BKupa666

The Peons

Wizzerd
Kholdstare
Katapultar
kirbywizard
darth meanie
Clownbot
n88_2004
JOE!
SkylerOcon
Darkurai
TWILTHERO
Frf
UserShadow7898
tirkaro
KoppaKirby
goldwyvern
Plorf
half_silver28

Get those votes in, you lazy peasants. And keep those advertisements a-rolling. And more importantly, READ other people's advertisements and sets you missed the first time, so as to get a better full picture before you cast your vote.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768

Tryclyd
Bkupa666​

One of the first few moveset I hope none of you have missed, and a rather long one at that. If you haven't read it yet then do so this instant. Bkupa66 managed to make a a somewhat generic snake like creature, and make a very creative moveset out of it. Even implementing Tryclyd's heads from his original appearance. Now the set itself is very organized, and information is given out rather well. The only problem would seem to be the large amount of information in this set that might make your eyes bleed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
MARIO
remix

Mr. Video Game has been waiting for an accurate moveset since the beginning of Smash and MYM, and this is undoubtedly it. Ocon, our resident Mario main, strived not only to give Mario a moveset that actually drew from the series' vast and rich source material, but completed Mario's existing combo/gimp playstyle. In my opinion, he definitely succeeded. Do not look this set over because of a few questionable moves; although the playstyle doesn't bring any crazy new mechanic to the table, it fulfills exactly what Ocon intended it to be: how Mario should be in Smash. I definitely support Mario over Vaati or V-13, as the Ocon set of MYM6. Plus, who doesn't like Baby Yoshi?

Junahu

Smash Ace
There is no rule saying I can't make more than 3 ads...

GOREA

~by Katapultar

Gorea is a relatively unexciting moveset by Katapultar.
Or at least it is compared to...

GOREA

~By Katapultar

I like movesetsthat go against the flow If anyone complains that we're running out of elements of Brawl to explore, I'll kindly ask that they STFU and look at Gorea.

If Will & Freedan was an unabashed transcription of how to make a character work in game, Gorea is an unflinching lesson on conceptual creativity.

Most of his attacks are augmented by the properties of attacks he copies from his opponent. Like a mad scientist, Gorea has to mix the foe's attacks in with his own, and find winning combinations. Gorea can even mix in more than one of the foe's attacks with his own.
The execution of this idea alone is infinitely incomprehensible, with even his standard jab having multiple facets of complexity, all containing one another like a twisted russian doll. It simply defies logical explanation

Katapultar doesn't succeed in explaining the concept, at all, that much I'll admit. So what? Even Rool, Smash Daddy and MasterWarlord together would have trouble explaining it all.
But the fact Gorea is there at all proves not only Katapultar's drive to improve, but also his will to push boundries that even I thought were unscalable.
*Seriously, I canceled my first MYM6 OC because she was supposed to combine the various properties of the foe's attacks to craft new ones, and that was way too complicated to work out*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom