• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Matchup Discussion

Panix

Smash Ace
didn't we already discuss wolf? We had that one guy who thought wolf outcamped snake in here to speak with us.

easily 45:55 snake if not 60:40 snake.
Wolf can perfectly space bairs, but if your moving around he's not going to perfectly space them everytime.
and thats all he has on snake imo.

Sukai

Smash Champion
didn't we already discuss wolf? We had that one guy who thought wolf outcamped snake in here to speak with us.

easily 45:55 snake if not 60:40 snake.
Wolf can perfectly space bairs, but if your moving around he's not going to perfectly space them everytime.
and thats all he has on snake imo.
Wolf's lasers > Snake.
He can easily force Snake to jump or dodge around since he's unable to duck them.
Shine is really good for punishing obvious moves and make the mortar almost useless, in both an approach and a projectile.

Nade cooking does well her though, and Wolf's recovery is Snake sex.

Pretty even in my opinion.

-Ran

Smash Master
-The most that Wolf's laser should ever cause a Snake to do is shield. It's easy to perfect shield. The main thing that it prevents is shield drop grenades, but once you learn the interval it isn't an issue.
-Mortar Slide isn't an approach. It's a spacing tool. You should not be attacking with Mortar Slide, since most characters can punish it, and anyone worth their salt at a competitive level can simply perfect shield the thing once they realize that you rely upon it.
-I find that Wolf is typically a very linear fighter, but I haven't fought a skilled Wolf in a long time. Laser for spacing, bair wall of pain, forward smash as a poke, and dsmash to kill.
-The main thing to know is that Wolf has some shockingly quick/powerful air attacks. Seriously.

Sukai

Smash Champion
-Mortar Slide isn't an approach. It's a spacing tool. You should not be attacking with Mortar Slide, since most characters can punish it, and anyone worth their salt at a competitive level can simply perfect shield the thing once they realize that you rely upon it.
Fine, if Snake get's within Wolf's range, Wolf can shine his Mortar.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Snake has a slight advantage.

You punish harder, so wolf has to be especially careful. Wolf can juggle Snake very well and rack up impressive damage once snake gets offstage. Snake, however, NEVER ****ING DIES, and it's not like wolf is the best at killing anyways. If the snake player has very good DI and has a good enough grip on recovery to avoid too much damage, the wolf player will get very frustrated when trying to get the kill.

Bad summary, I know, but the biggest reason snake has an advantage is survivability.

:059:

gallax

Smash Hero
i play a wolf on a regular basis. its 55:45 in favor of snake imo. the jump behind>bair is really annoying as snake. its easy to predict a fsmash and/or dsmash. laser camping is only as effective as the snake lets it. the better the snake, the less effective the laser camp. as long as you can get a nade to land in front of the wolf the laser will stop momentarily. if you can p-shield well then lasrs are much easier to handle. when you get close just wait for the fsmash. if they jab then roll out and try some nade tactics. watch out for the ftilt though, it eats shields and the hitbox lasts longer than you would think.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I put this as 60:40 or 55:45 in snake's favor. All wolf can do is space bairs and you can easily approach it. You can punish most of his attacks with ftilt like his fsmash or dsmash. Lasers are not a problem as Ran said, you can just power shield it. If they decide to shine your motar on the ground, they are open for a big slap in the face with ftilt. You should be able to shield the motar if you do it fast enough. Its kinda eh to me. Just know what you are doing and don't get in the air so you can get bair *****. Spacing = win.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
What Razer said. Wolf's laser is not like Falco's. He can't really follow up with it, and he can't spam it as quickly. 60:40 is my opinion.

There is a bit more to this, but Razer covered the larger things. We can punish nearly everything with ftilt. <_<

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Things I remember from playing against Wolf
He likes to Juggle a lot.

He is easy to force to approach.

Once you get him off the stage just grab the ledge. he has a cruddy recovery.

He can easily refresh his moves by doing one grab and just pummeling a bunch.

Dthrow is annoying. can put you in a really bad place at mid to high percents by the edge.
his main way to kill is when your landing by doing a dsmash. Just grenade reverse a bunch.

His options on the ledge are a bit better than most characters. just place a c4 about rolling

distance from the ledge, and just bait him up.

Wall of Wolf is annoying. Just shield the first one, then duck, then crawl forward and either ftilt or utilt. His second one will miss, and you will punish him.

Top Bottom