• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus needs a partner! So who?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Alright, so i was at work today( in a pipe yard) and i became REALLY REALLY bored so i started think about smash. For some reason, low tier 2vs2 and regular 2vs2 poped into my head so i just went with it. Over time i started to think about some things that i need some help on and maybe you guys could chime in on it.

1. In your opinion, who is the best LOW TIER(E and F tier[D tier is optional]) partner for Samus? Why?

2. In your opinion, who is the best REGULAR(non low tier) partner for Samus? Why?

3. In your opinion, what character should we flat out AVOID teaming with? Why?

4. Do you like 2vs2? If not, why? If so, which one do you like more?

Hive

Smash Lord
I think ness would be a good partner in low tiers, both can benefit each other I think, he does good against mks, can absorb charge shots, and can limit falcos laser use in doubles. samus can protect his recovery and give him space when needed. And DDD, a common threat to both is not as harsh in doubles bc partners can break cgs. never actually tried it, though, so I couldn't say for sure. ness has good ways to cooperate with samus' spams though.

IDK what do you think?

I've been teaming with a lot of ROB lately, that's been pretty fun :)

Xyro77

For me i think sonic is Samus's best LOW TIER partner! Well for the old tier list.

I team with Mr. 3000's Sonic and nearly every lwo tier event and i also have teamed with Espy. We ALWAYS get 1st or 2nd( if we split) in low tier teams. Some things ive learned from a sonic teaming with a Samus is that samus D throw can lead to a free bair for sonic(which is a one of his KO moves) and a Sonic Dthrow can lead to a fully charge shot. Since sonic is SO fast, even if i miss judge a missle or charge shot, he can run and/or UP+B out of the line of fire. These simple things REALLY mean alot in low tier teams.

But if you are going for the NEW tier list, i would say MARIO. He has a cape in case samus fails to charge shot correctly and he he can cape a CS if the foe ground dodges it. Mario has a GREAT up+b oos option which means you wont have to go over there and save him as much. He can KO and COMBO which is one of SAMUS's downfalls. Some good tricks are: mario back throw to fully charge shot. iirc, tudor had a decent mario partner at one point. I would like to hear what he thinks about mario aa a low tier partner.

AVOID: samus ditto teams. Even though i had a BLAST teaming with hive, we could not Zair to our full potential cause zair go through the foe and hit each other and we could not spam like we wanted. Then you have the problem with killing ........ect. It Just doesnt work.

Hive

Smash Lord
ooo mario, I hadn't thought of him, that is a good idea.^^ I wouldn't say comboing is one of her downfalls though :p MK would be a bad counter against that I think though bc of nado and aerials.

Oh, and Sonic is definitely mid tier. :)

Yea teaming at WCSL was fun =) samus teams and dittoes aren't her best option though I agree. ^^ too much spacing needed and her weaknesses and matchups aren't filled in well.

Peach might be a good idea overall, she can work around samus very well and hover above spam range, plus her turnip spam, and combat style make her a good choice. She does have problems koing too though I think.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
I love 2v2... and since you asked for my opinion xyro, mario (at least the one i team with) is the best teamate for Samus.

It's really ridiculous how many crazy moves and combo's you can pull off together if you play smart.

We have all sorts of Fludd to spike or waljump to Fludd to spike or Fludd to plasma ball or cape to spike or whatever combo's, the list never ends.

Mario can build up damage just as fast as you, can play 2 v 1 very well (he's fast) if you need to charge your plasma or shoot some missiles from far away. Mario can kill very well and save you very well with a dash attack if you get ledge hogged or up-b if you're too low. Zairing over his head to stun people for comboes works wonders, and you can link comboes together all day with good spacing.

Mario = one of Samus' best low tier team patners.

However i haven't really teamed with a good sonic (that i can remember).

Rhyme

Smash Lord
1. In your opinion, who is the best LOW TIER(E and F tier[D tier is optional]) partner for Samus? Why?

2. In your opinion, who is the best REGULAR(non low tier) partner for Samus? Why?

1. Zelda - Many of her moves will work as kill moves. Samus can help out by providing the setup for slower moves by hitting with a weak charge shot, Zair or missile. In addition, Samus and Zelda can save each other from being gimped--Samus Zair Zelda or Zelda overB Samus = better than losing a stock. The best part about this team is that Zelda is free to camp behind Samus' amazing camping because she controls when her projectile releases its hitbox.

2. No specific answer for this one. I love characters like G&W and Olimar who can make up for Samus' lack of kill power, but I also love small characters like MK and Kirby who can weave through Samus' spam. Probably Snake...reliable kill moves, mandatory tanking.

3. D3 - Too fat. Samus' power zone is horizontal in front of her, which is exactly where D3 needs to be in order to not get *****.

Lucario - Can't kill unless your opponent is stupid. Two characters who can't kill is a terrible idea. Lucario never reaches a good power level because he is weaker when his team is doing better and Samus will usually be the tank. His roll patterns are difficult to work around even if you know his style.

Diddy - Requires open space to be effective. Not good for someone who is constantly SHing in his face.

Peach - Why was Peach suggested? She can't kill either, and they share enough bad matchups from what I remember.

4. Kinda-sorta maybe? Some days I have fun with it.

powell651234

Smash Apprentice
Ness is a good one for low tiers....healing, gives your team two fearsome spikers. (which is typically a more prevelant move in doubles)

Other characters, i think that it's just good to have somebody that has good reliable ko moves...like a wario or game and watch.

My buddy and I won the campus tournament here at Ithaca College playing as Snake/Samus....but everybody at the tournament sucked pretty much. (dtilt punish ftw!)

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

1.) In my opinion, Samus' best option for a low-tier doubles partner is Lucas. He's fast, he's powerful, and you can help keep him alive longer by hitting him with fully-charged shots. A sustainable, hard-hitting element is something Samus lacks individually, and Lucas more than makes up for it.

2.) For regular, non-limited doubles matches, I would have to say King Dedede. Yes, that's right. I want you to team up with your worst enemy. Samus has a plethora of combined attack options when partnered with him. Samus' down-throw gives Dedede just enough time to get in a forward-smash, and grabs in general can set up major hits for Dedede. Combined projectile spam between the two of them can also create a formidable wall. You've got quick attacks and a lot of killing power to balance it out as one deadly entity.

3.) There are quite a few characters that lack complementary elements to help boost Samus' performance, but if I were to pick the worst one, I'd have to say Jigglypuff. She's extremely easy to kill and lacks solid kill moves. Sounds a lot like Samus, but she doesn't have a projectile game to help her out in certain match-ups.

4.) I like playing doubles. It's an interesting diversion from normal singles play, and basically anything can happen with any team combination. Match-ups don't matter, and it's all about the skill of the player. I prefer singles, but doubles is a fun side activity.

Throwback

Smash Lord
Alright, so i was at work today( in a pipe yard) and i became REALLY REALLY bored so i started think about smash. For some reason, low tier 2vs2 and regular 2vs2 poped into my head so i just went with it. Over time i started to think about some things that i need some help on and maybe you guys could chime in on it.

1. Not sure where Ike is on the tier list but I've found he's quite a good partner. samus' amazing interrupt ability (ie zair) lets Ike land a lot of smashes he normally couldn't. Which makes me wonder how ganon would go - samus could help him land a lot of things that normally wouldn't work.

2. No idea

3. samus + samus is bad.

4. it's ok but tbh I lack the awareness to be good at it. I prefer singles.

Sago

Smash Lord
1. Sheik is pretty awsome. Mario i would have to say is the best . And if were following the old stuff sonic is pretty fun to, shugo and i team alot.
2. I really enjoy Snake, wario, and d3.
3. jiggz, samus,lucario
4.i love teams, i place well in teams and find it generaly much more enjoyable.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lolol still, they did get third.

1) I looove mario as a team mate, he's small so he doens't get in your way. you can missile cancel super missiles OVER him. and he can Utilt to your D air for a jab lock. too good.
2) Hmm, I like toon link for any tier teams, he compliments samus well by being small and fast and killing with Usmash. plus all his moves are so easy to manipulate, like when he hits someone you know from the move where they are going, so it's easy to combo, B air to samus' nair anyone??
3) gotta say D3 for the reasons stated above, or DK, his hit box's are WAY too out of this world to avoid when ther's 4 peeps brawling.
4) I effing love dubs, it's a lot of fun :) IRL and Wi-fi

me n my buddy playing a decent smash tourni jsut between friends and ****, not much competition at all, but there were 2 guys who were soo good. they teamed up as well, but me n buddy beat them, He was ike and used lots of smash's I used my broiler a lot and pushed them into his attacks, that worked so wonderfully, so Ike if you play right can be an excellent team mate

HizuPlague

Smash Rookie
I like having another Samus as my partner. Missile spam galore. :D It'll really piss them off.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I like teaming with samus. We (me pika and my bro samus) gave HRNUT and GDX a fun match at HERB 2.

Why? I love low tiers (they are high in my eyes). Plus, the random button is my secondary... lol.

Another reason is that we recently 'sorta found out' a new (situational but awesome) AT for pika and samus. The options are so much greater with a samus main (some options worse than other chars, some better but still A LOT of options). http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244919

Autocancelled super missiles go over pika's head most of the time; wierd up-b glitch recovery happens to samus with pikachu quite often; Pika can cover the 5'o'clock-7'o'clock radius quite well which may be a problematic-range for some samus's at point blank; QaC around missiles is just fun.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
My usual partner uses Peach, so I've learned to team with Peach. It actually works quite well! Today we found something really weird. I don't know if it's an infinite, or if it's just for Peach, but here we go:

It was 2v1 us against a Snake. Peach grabs Snake and I SHDair'd Snake. From there, Peach could somehow regrab. Then I repeated, and Peach kept regrabbing. We did this a few times until we messed up (we were kind of shocked at the results of what I had just done). I'll test it tomorrow

Xyro77

Ok so i just got back from a tournament in Oklahoma. It was called OH SNAP 5! Legan( THE best link in world) was going to show up so i asked him to team with me. Our name was "Our Zair is longer than yours"

Maybe its just because we BOTH main low tiers or whatever but all i can tell you is i CANNOT UNDERSTAND how we did the things we did. What im about to tell you is slightly obscene and it may cause brain trama so please watchout when you read the following:

1. Legan is SO good he told me "dont be afraid to hit me, do what you gotta do" This means he was able to take damage from me(in the case that i accidentaly hit him) AND the damage from the foe. This guy is THAT MUCH of a badass.

2. We won our first match and lost our 2nd(it was my fault, i was getting in his way). We then decided to cut the ****, start MOLESTING anybody who was in our line of sight and climb to grand finals. We lost to Dojo(falcon)+ Lee Martin(ike) in grand finals. They were close.

3. Team combos: Samus grab, grab release, Legan D-AIR! Samus Dsmash, Legan D-AIR! Samus Zair, Legan zair, Samus zair, Legan zair, ROFL!

4. Team help! Like as Legan was about to die, he threw a bomb in the air, and as i was being attacked by the foe, the **** bomb came down and hit him which then lead me into nailin the foe with my charge shot. If legan couldnt make it back to the stage, i would run off and UP+B him and give his extra jump back while i auto latch onto the stage.

Over all, Samus(me) built up the damage while Link KOed. Since samus is SOOOOO heavy and can play MEGA defensive, i was stock tanking which(in the long run) gave the KO machine(link) extra stocks if he needed it. OUR number one CP was Halbert an we NEVER lost on that stage. As a samus player(who would never pick halbert) i am going to rethink that stage after teaming with legan. Long story short, link+samus is a BEAST of a low tier team.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
ZELDA has the KO power samus needs. Din's fire would be a nice compliment to missle spamming, She has lingering hitboxes, and her moves have a good ammount of hitstun.
As an added bonus, she can transform into sheik. One of the most manuverable characters, Who should be able to work around all the projectiles samus might be spewing out. Sheik is able to do a lot of damage, Really fast. Only problem with sheik is, Like samus, she lacks KO power.

No idea for 2&3 honestly :p

and I enjoy 2vs2, but I hardly play them, so I am generally not very good at them.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
haha well what do you know it does exist i was told it doesn't

i personally feel that pikachu is a great partner if samus shoots into pikachus back throw he usually doesnt get hit.

and pikachus electric moves stun and leaves them wide open for attacks.

humble

Smash Ace
1) In low tier tourneys, mario is the best partner for samus. He juggles well to hold them off, he is smaller and agile so you don't worry about hitting him as much, you space and he juggles, you hold stocks and he finished, you both get crazy awesome combos. You can cover each other well in bad matchups (unless you go against double D3 who both manage to infinite you at the same time -__-) and it is a fun team to play.

2) In full on tourneys, Toon Link is the best partner to play with. Create some lulzy walls with double zair, either alternating to cover any gaps or one on top of the other, or take turns firing missiles, charge shots, arrows, rangs, and bows while the other zairs to space and wreck any approaches. Tlink is tiny and can weave well to safely avoid your projectile and spacing, you can get lulzy combos like dair to dair to dair to charge shot (he pogos them, you spike, he pogos before they hit ground, you charge shot.) You can help each other out recovering, you can help finishing, and you can hold stock.

Of course, there is the option of Pit who is one of the best team partners for every character. He can hold stock, he can pepper w/ arrows without hitting teammate, he can rack damage, he can finish, he can combo, he can help recover w/ arrow, he can play off any unique characters traits.

3) Snake and D3 are two chars you should avoid teaming with. They need control of the ground and stage to be effective, and both are very large. This means you will be unable to zair/use projectiles without hitting your teammate, and you have just been severly handicrapped.

4) I dislike 2vs2, I have no consistent teammate and when I do play with someone they end up getting in my way/I get in theirs.

Kay I played loads of friendlies, both doubles and singles at my last tourny, heres what I've seen so far.

1) For Low tier partners, Zelda is a good contender. She has plenty of KO power and you can help her approach with missles, which covers up one of her biggest flaws. A nice super missle in the face or even powershielded ones give enough stun for Zelda to make her move. You can rack up the damage, so can she with dins fire, and she has more control over it, so where your missles can't hit, her dins can. She can also save herself from CS with Nayrus, so don't be afraid to go a little crazy.

2) This may sound crazy, but Marth was a superb team mate for me. Marth can cover every area where Samus can't. He pressures incredibly well, has pretty good KO power, and his upb OoS just destroys people trying to approach him. Marth can easily move around missles due to how fast he will actually be moving, there isn't a reason why Marth should be getting hit by them. Marth can counter our missles and CS aswell, so imagine a Countered CS in the face. Ouch.

3) Im going to say.... Donkey Kong. He's pretty slow (not as slow as other larger characters, but still slow), he easily gets hit by missles and zair. He's not exactly amazing at applying pressure either. Even with his ridiculous KO power, it doesnt stop him from being hurt by us continously, so Samus isnt at any form of advantage here.

4) I love 2v2. It's one of Samus' best areas. In doubles I rarely die before 160%, I've lived until 220 in a 2v1 (no joke) and actually won the round (EM Monthly 09, October). So yeah, doubles is one of my stronger places.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
I was not aware this would be a topic to discuss teams lol, sorry bout that 9 :(
no worries.

heres something you guys might want to look into, i tied it a few times and it seems flawless.

while pikachu is in the middle of his back throw he can be hit by projectiles but instead who ever he's throwing will get hit.

Xyro77

no worries.

heres something you guys might want to look into, i tied it a few times and it seems flawless.

while pikachu is in the middle of his back throw he can be hit by projectiles but instead who ever he's throwing will get hit.
yea thats because of port priority. IIRC it means that pika was in port 4(higher port) and samus was in the lower port(port 1). I try and make sure this happens every time i team with someone so incase i mess up a charge shot, my buddy doesnt get hit. this works GREAT with ness.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
yea thats because of port priority. IIRC it means that pika was in port 4(higher port) and samus was in the lower port(port 1). I try and make sure this happens every time i team with someone so incase i mess up a charge shot, my buddy doesnt get hit. this works GREAT with ness.
i didnt know that that was the reason why...

i thought it was just pikachu's size...

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys feel about zelda as a low tier partner

she has the reflector, great kill moves, and her projectile goes can go through samus.

din's fire can help with ledge guarding aim high with din's so the opponent is more willing to reconver low than samus goes in for the spike...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario is one of the best low tiers teammates in general. He can B-throw and D-smash indiscriminately and stay pretty safe, and his Cape **** allows you get super early kills if you can U-throw an enemy into his Cape. He can also get kills pretty reliably with his solid Up-smash.

And as mentioned, his small size means he's easy to work around.

Xyro77

how do you guys feel about zelda as a low tier partner

she has the reflector, great kill moves, and her projectile goes can go through samus.

din's fire can help with ledge guarding aim high with din's so the opponent is more willing to reconver low than samus goes in for the spike...
IMO she can be good AND bad.

Yea she can KO nice but her U and F smashes can be SMASH DIed out of which can sorta take away her KO ability. The TOE and u-tilt are still amazing. Oh and did u know her utilt has the same KO power as snakes U tilt. POWER, not range. Her recovery is absolute garbage and its super easy to gimp and manipulate(make her come back on the stage for a free fsmash)

over all i do not have exp with a zelda but its just what i see in other teams.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
IMO she can be good AND bad.

Yea she can KO nice but her U and F smashes can be SMASH DIed out of which can sorta take away her KO ability. The TOE and u-tilt are still amazing. Oh and did u know her utilt has the same KO power as snakes U tilt. POWER, not range. Her recovery is absolute garbage and its super easy to gimp and manipulate(make her come back on the stage for a free fsmash)

over all i do not have exp with a zelda but its just what i see in other teams.

hmmmm...... interesting....

i'll look into it a bit more who do you recommend?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Ike is my low tier team mate of choice, for some reason he just works really well with samus.

and I think Xyro feels the same way but I'm not totally sure, just make sure the ike is a SMART player, I dun care how good he is, just as long as he is a SMART player, aka smart play-style, one that waits to punish mistakes.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, for a team mate, the first thing samus needs is a character that can kill. so this rules out a few such as sonic, peach, lucario, another samus (sorta) and to a lesser extent, pit and ZSS.

and then you need a character that can manouver fairly weel to avoid your missile spam, so just about all heavy's are out of the question.

i personally think that marth or falco would be a good team mate, and for low tier i would say ike or mario.

oh, and another thing, NEVER team with a G&W, it may seem like a good idea with bucketing charge shots. but no. it dosent work because with two peopel chasing you, youre not gonig to have time to fill the bucket, and G&W is too easy to kill accidentally with someone like samus

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
well, for a team mate, the first thing samus needs is a character that can kill. so this rules out a few such as sonic, peach, lucario, another samus (sorta) and to a lesser extent, pit and ZSS.

and then you need a character that can manouver fairly weel to avoid your missile spam, so just about all heavy's are out of the question.

i personally think that marth or falco would be a good team mate, and for low tier i would say ike or mario.

oh, and another thing, NEVER team with a G&W, it may seem like a good idea with bucketing charge shots. but no. it dosent work because with two peopel chasing you, youre not gonig to have time to fill the bucket, and G&W is too easy to kill accidentally with someone like samus
now here a thought for you what if samus is the killer?

sonic, zss, and pit are all good for racking up damage... than kill with samus...

i think that could work.

Xyro77

hmmmm...... interesting....

i'll look into it a bit more who do you recommend?
Like Cherry, i HIGHY suggest IKE. His KO power is 2x yours. His melee range is longer than yours and his jabs are a god among men. IKE is the way to go when it comes to low tier teams. In fact, this weekend me and inui are teaming again. I will get some of those recorded.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
Like Cherry, i HIGHY suggest IKE. His KO power is 2x yours. His melee range is longer than yours and his jabs are a god among men. IKE is the way to go when it comes to low tier teams. In fact, this weekend me and inui are teaming again. I will get some of those recorded.
cool that would be great...

im actaully gonna try and upload some video's this weekend myself

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Wow, the logic here is so terrible.

Marth sucks in teams, he doesn't have very much KO power unless he gets a tipper, and he's very prone to getting ***** when pressured in 4 player environments due to his lack of good clearout moves.

Falco is also a burden in teams, since he really can't kill very well, and his base attributes are very mediocre without constant laser camping to back them up, and the chaingrab is infinitely less useful in teams. He doesn't have very impressive mobility to stay safe for the most part. Fox is better than Falco on teams.

G&W overall is much more useful than the other two mentioned since he actually can kill extremely well (team grab -> Up-smash). He can do a lot of dumb stuff like U-air braking (Bucket Braking for teammates), and he's honestly not that hard to work around if he knows how to Up-B or crouch at crucial moments.

Anyhow for low tier teams, I did mention Mario earlier, and it's worth trying to learn the Cape ****, which can kill people at like 30-40% if you do it right.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Wow, the logic here is so terrible.

Marth sucks in teams, he doesn't have very much KO power unless he gets a tipper, and he's very prone to getting ***** when pressured in 4 player environments due to his lack of good clearout moves.

Falco is also a burden in teams, since he really can't kill very well, and his base attributes are very mediocre without constant laser camping to back them up, and the chaingrab is infinitely less useful in teams. He doesn't have very impressive mobility to stay safe for the most part. Fox is better than Falco on teams.

G&W overall is much more useful than the other two mentioned since he actually can kill extremely well (team grab -> Up-smash). He can do a lot of dumb stuff like U-air braking (Bucket Braking for teammates), and he's honestly not that hard to work around if he knows how to Up-B or crouch at crucial moments.

Anyhow for low tier teams, I did mention Mario earlier, and it's worth trying to learn the Cape ****, which can kill people at like 30-40% if you do it right.
haha, no need to insult me ^^ im just going on the partners ive had,

and my last partner used G&W with me, of coruse he sucked and i ended up fighting by myself half the time very early on because he didnt know how to DI

however i have teamed with a very good marth who managed to tipper EVERYTHING and do short hop at the exact right time to aloow me to do the clearing.

youve gto to base some of it on experience, after all

Top Bottom