• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Frame Data: Need Testers for Certain Boards

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Why?
Many boards still need high quality frame data, and this gives you the basics to do tests for attacks and the like, it also gives you some Smash Lab information on how its done, as well as some of my own personal information after gathering high quality frame data for 2 boards.

It is fairly useful for knowing exactly how to avoid punishing, like the Diddy Kong's found out their dash attack has no ending lag, and followed by a jab or a jump, they can barely get grabbed afterward, and can throw immediately after the move any banana's they picked up.

What You Need
A Wii with Homebrew installed
An SD Card
GeckOS 1.07b or later (I think Ocarina even works fine)
The ability to use codes

The following:
To do this, you must use hacks and must use the pause debugger code which is the following:

Code:
Debug Pause:-(GCC)
80000000 805B8A08
0402E5AC 8819000B
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 EFFF1000
86410000 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 00FF0000
12000002 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 FFEF0010
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 FF000000
12000002 00000100
E2000002 00000000

Press Start to freeze the game(don't worry, the music and sounds are unaffected).
Press Z to step through frame by frame.
Press Start again to unfreeze the game.
(The new Start command is X+D^)

Button Modifier:
041E6CD8 4BE1C128
041E6D1C 4BE1C114
06002E00 00000068
9421FF80 BC410008
7CE4402E 7CE738F8
7CE73039 3864FFC0
7CE3412E 7CC4412E
B8410008 38210080
60000000 481E3EB0
9421FF80 BC410008
7C03202E 3DC01000
7DCE70F8 7C007039
740E0408 3DE00408
7C0E7800 40820008
64001000 B8410008
38210080 481E3EBC

Must be used with the Debug Pause Code.
This only works with a Gamecube controller, press Start to get into the debugger and press Z to advance frames. Press start to leave it. X+ Dpad Up is your new start for starting games and the like.

If this is your first time collecting frame data, to verify, please send me your data and pictures of the frame by frame for 1 move so I can verify you did it properly.

My Information

Attack
Move Name
Visual Description (maybe picture)
Input
Hits on Frame: #F
Duration: #F
(aerials only)Landing Lag: #F (#F) - second #F is non-IASA landing lag
Hitlag: #F
Blockstun: #F
Blockhitlag: #F
Base Damage: #%
Knockback:

Angle (degrees above forward): # [range = -180<x<=180]
Base: #
Growth Rate/ variance: #
(Element: element)
Now, the attack, move name, visual description, and input are basic enough.

Do all your testing on a Jigglypuff. Failing that, you fail. (I'm talking to you Susa). Seriously though, then you wanna test it on a character who has large amounts of invincibility frames in their dodge animation and you know the data for it.

Hits on Frame: To do this, first test the first possible frame it can hit by using it on a standing opponent when the startup and hitting frames overlap the opponent. See what frame it first hits on. Then, set it so the first frame it hits will hit an invicibility frame of the opponent, so it can only hit the frame after it would normally. If it hits, continue with the next frame until you find every frame it can hit on. Jigglypuff is ideal because she has 27 frames starting on 1, which is quicker and better than anything else.

Now, for multihit moves, if they hits are different, use them in different categories and test when each one hits for.

Duration: Simply have the move hit (if its multihit, have every hit make contact) and see how many frames it takes until you can do something. So if you get a full shield (it takes 2 frames to shield, first is mini, second is large) on frame 62, the duration is 60 frames (you could first do anything on frame 60). This is best tested by alternating shield with attack, even in the air, so you either start a shield or attack on that (or air dodge) so it ends immediately and you don't have buffer issues.

Hitlag: This is basic, but testing it is a bit more complicated. Its the number of freeze frame stuff that happens after you hit them, but the ideal way to test it is by testing the person using the move. Attack the opponent and find the first frame the move hits (if its multihit, do a hitlag for each hit) and then find each frame you don't move (IE, you don't continue the attack animation). Count up the number of frames you stay exactly where you are (its easier for moves that have low knockback, so you aren't wondering if they are frozen, especially since you can DI in hitlag).

Blockstun: This is the number of frames after blockhitlag that you can't unshield in. To test this, use a move on a non-power shield (IE, don't hit it on the initial shield) and then the frame the attack connects, each frame after start inputting X or Up (have tap jump on for the opponent) alternatingly, and the frame the jump animation starts is the first frame when blockstun is over. For Jigglypuff, she starts her crouch on frame 2 noticeably, so if she crouches on frame 4 after the blockhitlag, it has a blockstun of 2.

BlockHitlag: Identical to hitlag on a shield. Hit a non-power shield with an attack and see the number of frames you are frozen before you continue the animation. Its also very easy to tell from the shield perspective, your opponents shield will stay fairly clear with a small circle on it where you hit when its blockhitlag. Blockstun starts when the shield becomes very cloudy and you start to slide.

Landing Lag: Do an aerial into the ground, making sure you are multiple frames into the attack (IE, around the time the hitbox comes out, just to be safe, most moves on frame 2 don't have extra landing lag and some don't have it even later. Test using attack and shield for when you can first stop it, so if you start your shield on frame 10, and get a full shield on 11, you have 9 frames of landing lag.

Base Damage: Go into training, opponent at 0%. Do the attack.

Knockback:

Angle: Get a capture card and capture the picture of the frame after hitlag ends on an attack on the opponent when they are at 999%. Find the angle to the ground, make sure they are leaning on the edge of a platform, so they can go down.

Base: The base is calculated after you get the growth rate. Its the initial knockback (knockback calculated at 0%) - the growth rate (thats next) * base damage.

You can find the knockbacks in the results screen under "Max Launcher Speed".

Growth Rate: The growth rate is the average amount the knockback grows each percent. To do this, use a move at 0% and at 100%, and have the knockback at 100% - the knockback at 0% and divide by 100. Thats the growth rate.

For good examples of these, check out my current 2 frame data threads (obey my command in the Jigglypuff one):

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216922
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239185

Smash Lab Standards and Information (All By Scotu):

I'm gonna CP some posts here from the smash lab, detailing how/what data to collect by smash lab standards. Since no one's currently assigned to find jiggs data, if you adhere to these qualifiers, If you PM me your data once you find it, we'll format it in the template of the smash lab and release it as part of the official smash lab character data. I'll also try to get you in the lab the next bout of nominations.

This thread will define a template to use for describing all the data on an attack, and describe what each element in the template is, and how to find that element in a standardized way. Additionally, when individual threads are made to contain all the info for a given character, they will be linked here to keep track of/ centralize them.

For finding any frame data, the correct way is to capture video in either 60(59.94)fps or in interlaced 30(29.97)fps (which can be de-interlaced into 60fps via a bob doubler filter). Using video editing software such as the open source freeware VirtualDub, you can count any frames that need counting.

Template

General
Jump Speed: #F
Dash Length: #F
Run Speed: #
Falling Speed: #
Falling Acceleration: #
Knockback Resistance 1: # (see knockback version Colin)
Knockback Resistance 2: # (see knockback Colin model)

Attack
Move Name
Visual Description (maybe picture)
Input
Hits on Frame: #F
(aerials only)Landing Lag: #F (#F) - second #F is non-IASA landing lag
Hitlag: #F
Blockstun: #F
Blockhitlag: #F
Base Damage: #%
Knockback:
Angle (degrees above forward): # [range = -180<x<=180]
Base: #
Growth Rate/ variance: #
(Element: element)

Grabs
Grab Name
Description (Maybe picture)
Input
Grabs on: #F

Rolls/ Dodges/ Wakeup options/ Edge returns/ etc...
Move Name
Description (maybe picture)
Input
Invincible on: #F (maybe through #F... maybe)

Input
Directions are "Forward", "Up", "Down", "Back", and "Neutral"
Attacks to combine with a direction are "Tilt", "Smash", "Special" or "B", "Throw", "Air", "Dash" (doesn't take a direction)
"Jab" refers to a standing neutral A
From the edge there is a "Slow Edge Getup" (>=100%) and a "Fast Edge Getup" (<100%)
From a fallen position there is a "Front Wakeup" (lying on front side) and a "Back Wakeup" (lying on back)
Names involving a direction can be abbreviated by taking the first letter of the direction and adding it to the attack type.

List of All attacks with proper names:
Jab
2nd Jab
3rd Jab
Rapid Jab
Forward Tilt
Up Tilt
Down Tilt
Forward Smash
Up Smash
Down Smash
Neutral Air
Forward Air
Back Air
Up Air
Down Air
Z Air (some character's tethers have a hitbox)
Dash Attack
Neutral B
Forward B
Up B
Down B
Forward Throw
Back Throw
Up Throw
Down Throw
Front Wakeup Attack
Back Wakeup Attack
Fast Edge Getup Attack
Slow Edge Getup Attack

Hits On
This is the first frame the attack starts to hit on. Frame 1 is the first frame of the animation of the attack.

Duration
This is the total number of frames the attack lasts. You can buffer a Shield in most cases to see when an attack ends. When the shield is first visible is 2 frames after the end of the attack.

Hitlag
This is the number of frames of freezeframe animation when an attack connects. The first frame of hitlag is the frame that the attack connects, the last frame is the frame before the attack animation resumes. Hitlag affects both the attacker and the attackee.

BlockHitStun
This is the number of frames of freezeframe on the animation of a shield when an attack hits it. The shielder does not slide during this time. The first frame is when the attack hits the shield, the last is the frame before the shield starts sliding.

Blockstun
This is the number of frames after shield hitlag that the shielder cannot unshield in. Simply release the shield button as soon as your shield is hit and count the number of frames from when shield hitlag is done until you can start dropping your shield.

Base Damage
In VS mode (NOT TRAINING) hit someone when they're at 0% (so there's no hidden decimal error that's not built into the attack). The percent they end at is the Base Damage.

Knockback Angle
in training mode, set cpu = jiggs (pretty floaty so gravity has very little effect in the first frame after hitlag)
set the jiggs to 999%. set her standing on the edge of a platform and hit her while capturing video. In frame by frame, find the frame after hitlag. From that frame you can find the angle at which the opponent is sent. These angles are measured in degrees above forward, which means that if you draw a line from the hitter straight in front of him, that's 0 deg, straight up is 90, straight down is -90, and directly behind (for say, a bair) is 180. If the character turns around in the attack, "forward" refers to the direction prior to the attack. Pro Tip: DON'T have the jiggs DI.

Knockback Base & Growth

Growth is found using this equation:

g = (f - m) / e

where g is the growth, m is the knockback mario takes at 0% (before the hit), e is any percent, and f is the knockback taken by mario at e% before the attack.

in a new VS game, hit a mario at 0% with a non-stale attack. End the game. In the mario's stats screen find "Mas Launch Speed" this is m

start a new VS game, shoot mario with a fox laser until he is at some % (this % is e). Hit him with the non-stale attack. End the game, check his launch speed, this is f.

subtract m from f, and then divide by e to get the growth.

now that you have the growth,

Base Knockback is found by taking m and subtracting d * g from it, where d is the damage the non-stale attack does.

aka

*NOTE* NEEDS TO BE DECIDED
base knockback = m - d * g

OR

base knockback = m
*/NOTE*

FOR FIXED KNOCKBACK ATTACKS

Base Knockback is just how much knockback Mario takes

and Variance is
V = (K - B) / R1
where V is variance, K is the knockback that character takes, and R1 is that character's Knockback Resistance 1

So find the knockback the move does on Mario, then find it on some other character, subtract the Mario one from the other character one, and then divide by the other character's Knockback Resistance 1

Element
I'm not entirely sure what all the elements are, nor who has weaknesses/ resistances to what elements, but I do know that Ivysaur has a weakness to element "fire" and squirtle has a resistance to it. If an attack has a 1.1 multiplier to the expected knockback on either of these (1/1.1 in case of a resistance) then that attack has the element that the attackee is weak/strong against.
Here's where the SIGN UP and response posting for the character data collection project will take place. A Due date has yet to be set, and some items need to be finalized (knockback/ weigh/ run speed), but frame data for each attack/ action can be started being collected per methods described in the template thread. VIDEO CAMERAS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. 1/X SPEED IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. MUST BE FRESHLY FOUND (unless adhered to the collection spec. EXACTLY).
Contact

If you want to send me sample data so I can verify you are doing it properly, PM me on Youtube or post a visitor message. Here is my channel. Upload the images to imageshack and keep a list of them, and send them to me in order. Also send your interpretation of the data so I can see if you did it properly.

Enjoy :)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I've done a 2 boards and Susa is doing Snake, so I hope it works out well :). The results would be sick, I'd make a compendium where the data is for every board if we get enough. Some boards, like Marth, Yoshi, and others already have good stuff.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
SuSa* SuSa*

Luckily I don't have much to do at all for Snake due to EY's frame data testing. All I have to do is ninja edit and give myself credit for the testing.

Thanks 9,001 times for this thread. *bookmarks*

bigman40

Smash Master
I did some of this stuff for Yoshi, but I don't have the time, nor the patience to do the more detailed stuff. If someone wants to, they can pick it up from where I left off, and I'll get the list that's on the Yoshi boards.

SuSa

This needs a bump... have begun work on the Snake boards. Nearly done, then need to do everything for sourspots.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7935108#post7935108

EDIT:

Upon looking through your entire Jigglypuff frame data. All hitlag is equivalent to the block hitlag.

EDIT 2:
Same with your Diddy Kong data except the one instance of his 3rd jab. Which is 1 frame off and I'm 90% sure one of those #'s is wrong.

This means that we should rid of Blockhitlag and it should simply be hitlag.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
You're not going to make shure all the testers upload a JMPG of every frame to imageshack like you did are you?

Because I am uploading so many pictures, obviously I can only hope for perfection and human error is only too likely to cause a few mistakes. If you see any, please report them.
In fact I do think I detected some human error on rest frames 238 and 164

SuSa

So I'm bored for the next week or two.

What board needs better frame data, or just frame data in general?

I'd also like to avoid characters with lots of multi-hit moves... so no MK. <_<

Top Bottom