• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Doubles Discussion.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude

pika-pikachu! (Welcome!)​

In this community made guide+strategy center we can discuss and evaluate several aspects of using Pikachu in doubles such as the following:

1. Team profile + Synergy
- In what ways can this team operate efficiently?
- Can Pikachu’s move set and traits compliment the partner and vice versa?
- Epic/failure team?
- Any setups possible?
- Overall strengths and weaknesses of this team.
- What to ban and counterpick.
- Cool team name (Snake+Pit = snake pit or Ness+Pikachu= PKchu/Pikawesomeness)
for lulz.

2. What to Do?
- How to play as a team with the character being discussed.
- Can this team annoy the crap out of the other team by spamming?
- Should this team be aggressive in close quarters or defensive from a ranged distance? Passive aggressive?
- What roles should Pikachu perform and what should the other character do?
- How can the characters assist each other?

3. Benefits to Pikachu/partner.
- Does Pikachu help in killing or strengthens kill potential in this team?
- Can projectiles be used efficiently as a team attack?
- What can Pikachu get out of teaming with this character?
- Can the character hold stocks?
- Can the characters negate their bad matchups?

4. Are there any videos of this team available?

5. Final thoughts.
Your overall take on the team and the traits discussed. This can be anything on your mind about the discussion regarding the team that hasn’t been mentioned.

All of this along with a character that will be chosen on a weekly or bi-weekly basis as a partner for Pikachu. If there is another topic related to doubles that you would like to add to the list above don't hesitate to post your suggestion.

------------------------

Click links for threads that are relevant to this discussion.
Pikachu Guide

---------------------------

Previous partners (nobody has had only one)
A list of our Pika mains and the characters they have experience teaming with.

- Z: Ness, Wario, Snake, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game and Watch & Olimar.
- LDPK: Toon Link, G&W, Lucas, Pikachu, Olimar & Samus.
- Gallax: MK, ROB, Snake, Wario, DDD, Falco & Kirby.
- ~auto: Yoshi, MK, Peach, Ness, Toon Link, Snake, Kirby, Lucario & Sonic.
- Kaylo!: Ike, Dedede & Pikachu.

-------------------------

Everyone is welcome to post any input or any other thing relevant to the topic character at hand. Also if you can post what characters you have had experience teaming up with that would be great.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Doubles Discussion Directory
for all your dicussion finding needs

:snake:
Snake
Discussion starts on post #34. Page 3 on default settings (15 posts/page).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:gw:
Mr. Game and Watch
Discussion starts on post #47 Page 4 on default settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:wario:
Wario
Discussion starts on post #58. Page 4 on default settings.

:dedede:
King Dedede
Discussion starts on post #79. Page 6 on default settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:marth:
Marth
Discussion Starts on post #98. Page 7 on default settings.

:lucario:
Lucario
Discussion starts on post #109. Page 8 on default settings.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Vertical sending attacks + thunder is too good XD

I've teamed with only one person for a legit amount of times and that's KLo. We did Ike/Pikachu + Zelda/Pikachu team

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I've teamed with T. Link/G&W/Lucas/Pikachu (Arc-thefallen-), Olimar (NC-echo), and Samus (Werk!) in actual power-ranked tournaments. I've teamed with ROB/snake/marth/MK (Lord Karn), Z-suit samus/wario/DK (NC-Ph00tbag), and Peach (Tho) who are tournament players in numerous friendlies. So I got some to very extensive experience with those char.

gallax

Smash Hero
ive teamed with a MK, ROB, Snake, Wario, DDD, falco, and kirby. there may be others that i cant remember atm.

my favorite to team with is ROB and snake.

i would like to know exactly how we are going about this. are we doing one big genereal guide then for each character have a small section devoted to some interesting details or going through each character and then saying how to play with them?

truthfully i like the first option. divy up what needs to be written and thenwrite a genereal guide first. after that we can go through character specific details.

P.S.- teaming with a pit or heavyweight is the best thing, or ness/lucas/gaw

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
did i ever team with you?hmm i dont remember
I can't remember if we have officially teamed at a tourney, I think we have. I know that we have teamed for lulz against JBM and Zero and some other legit teams at some point. Also you need to stop stalking me on smashboards. =P

i would like to know exactly how we are going about this. are we doing one big genereal guide then for each character have a small section devoted to some interesting details or going through each character and then saying how to play with them?

truthfully i like the first option. divy up what needs to be written and then write a genereal guide first. after that we can go through character specific details.
I did plan on writing a general guide with the points covered in the 1st post and having a character (Ness or Snake) as a side discussion here in the forum while I work w/some of you that would like to cooperate on the guide. It does sound easy to sidetrack now that I write it out. So instead of doing option 1 with a small side discussion on 2, I will solely focus on the first option. Since I have had a lot of time recently I can get to work on the guide. If anyone wants to help me out my AIM/MSN are available over there (points velow avatar.)

We'll forget about characters for a little while and focus on the main points (on the 1st post) begining with characters that complement Pikachu's abilities well in doubles.

Frio

Smash Champion
I myself have team with a: Falco, GaW, MK, PT, Sonic, and DDD. Imo I probally did best with the GaW since he's probaly one of the best partners. While our opponents are off stage or dead we would just fill GaW's bucket. Normally when there was only one guy left with a stock I'd just grab him and he'd use the bucket on both of us :/. Also GaW has a lot of safe moves like his U air and up B.

.AC.

Smash Lord
I can't remember if we have officially teamed at a tourney, I think we have. I know that we have teamed for lulz against JBM and Zero and some other legit teams at some point. Also you need to stop stalking me on smashboards. =P.
lol i was just looking for new things i could use to beat tkd and now you are acusing me of stalking you lol :mad::mad:

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I'm most used to teaming with snake. Snake helps get ko's more easily and is heavy. Between mortars, grenades, and thunder, the air is a very intimidating place for enemies, and you can set up edgeguards that are hard to get past.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, my only real competition is my brother, so I don't do much 2 v.s. 2.

However, how about we discuss the merits of a pikachu + pikachu team? The thought of double thunder-chasing and double thunder-edgeguarding is scary. (to enemies, anyway. :025: )

randomd1

Smash Rookie
I've teamed with a ganondorf before. It was surprisingly decent against 2 Lucarios. As long as the focus was kept off of Ganondorf I could force the opponent into ganondorf's smashes. Second round ganondorf got 3 stocked though...

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
edit:

Unfortunately, my only real competition is my brother, so I don't do much 2 v.s. 2.

However, how about we discuss the merits of a pikachu + pikachu team? The thought of double thunder-chasing and double thunder-edgeguarding is scary. (to enemies, anyway. :025: )
We've done that--of course that team-up will be touched upon later in due time by all of us pika's. May I suggest the idea of posting potential players of certain characters that might actually team with some of us in tournaments. I know I am kind of jumping the gun here at this point, but the idea of having a little, almost "appointment-like" teammate shoutouts for future tournaments sounds fun. Almost like... "Hey... Herb 2 ____ LDPK & (__has no partner yet__) and other people could maybe fill in.... lol. Seems like it's too much trouble right now... but it could be added later if the discussion ever gets stagnant.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been in many doubles, mainly because my friends don't like the ridiculously cheap combos (Kirbycide+Extra lives, much?) but I like them when we do.

I find that a friend of mine who plays Samus makes an awesome teammate. We once accidently pulled off a combo of Pikachu Pummel+Samus Dair on the edge. The result is a badass spike that looks almost inescapable. I mean, Samus's spike is powerful, but duuuude... since we found it, we've been using it every opportunity we could. And whenever we pull it off, a loud resonating "OH YEEEEEAAAAAH!" booms through the room.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I haven't been in many doubles, mainly because my friends don't like the ridiculously cheap combos (Kirbycide+Extra lives, much?) but I like them when we do.

I find that a friend of mine who plays Samus makes an awesome teammate. We once accidently pulled off a combo of Pikachu Pummel+Samus Dair on the edge. The result is a badass spike that looks almost inescapable. I mean, Samus's spike is powerful, but duuuude... since we found it, we've been using it every opportunity we could. And whenever we pull it off, a loud resonating "OH YEEEEEAAAAAH!" booms through the room.
I totally agree with Muhznit. My bro and top-pick doubles partner plays hardcore samus and we tripped onto a neat *almost universal* team AT with most of the characters when we did pikachu/samus teams. I'll post it whenever samus is discussed or AT's are--need to work on a sample vid of it working with other characters. Imagine cross thunder, thunder matrix (short), and partner totally invincible to both effects of thunder (1 and 2, the rod and the boom). Neat things can happen here: partner passes through the thunder edgeguard able to do ANY MOVE!

You thought the pika grab to samus spike was amazing--imagine samus passing through cross-thunde edgeguard (looks as if friendly fire was turned off) and DI-chasing the opponent with spike or Z-air (or anything for that matter) while being protected by thunder. While probably more situational, it freakin' LOOKS AMAZING.

*Captain Falcon can do a knee OR reverse Falcon punch in this AT also = Good Job Sakurai...

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
that sounds like epic awesomeness. i want a video. now.
I will post some soon, but the AT needs some close spacing for total epicness (reasonably hard but worth it kind of spacing like doing a falcon punch). Do you guys want a basic one first? Like the quick infinite one that K-prime did a few weeks ago or can you guys wait until the this thread is more mature (and when I have better vids/application). Verdict AC. or Automatic or Kaylo?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's up to ~auto.... however, I do feel like this thread needs a little more concrete direction so that it doesn't turn into a place for random doubles discussion. (I understand that it's only this way right now because it's just getting started.)

Not gonna lie, though, I'm really interested. >< If you wanna post about it, I'm not gonna stop you. :p

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Ualksdjflakdf, I just typed up like a page of some things I found useful for pika in teams and foxxy crashed, i'll try to get it up tomorrow.

long story short, gaw+pika is 222good. other then obvious bucket shenanigans, gaw uair+thunder is easier to pull off then it sounds. try it.

.AC.

Smash Lord
pika + gnw can be somewhat good,although i dont think gimmicky tactics are effective.maybe if you have time or are in an advantageous situation you can pull off such things,yet donte expect them to work often as the occasions for this will be rare.when i play gnw + chu in friendlies i like to interrupt thunder´s ending lag with gnw´s jab,i dont see such things working in tourney matches though.especially against mks.

z5kaento5z

Smash Cadet
I remember a thread a few months back about G&W being the best doubles partner. The bucket is... Well, I'm not gonna touch on it because I absolutely despise bucket-filling strategies myself, but it's crazy when you pull it off, not to mention the psychological effects on your opponent.

My doubles partner for almost a year now (unfortunately we've only gotten the chance to play through wifi) has been a Luigi. To be honest I don't quite notice a lot of the dynamics that make teams what they are, but we work well together. It may be that we can weave around each other or something like that, but it works. He likes to knock people into my thunder pretty often too, and he's gotten pretty good at it.

I've partnered with.. a G&W, a D3, a DK, a Link, and a Peach, though I can't say I remember much. Nevertheless, I love 2v2 and I'd like to see this thread take off.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
2 vs. 2 will be very interesting because unlike 1v1's, matchups play a small part and team ups play a bigger part in the game--but now, for once, player styles/choices actually could play a HUGE part in the tide of the match. Not only do you have good team matchups (pika & G&W vs. some other teams) but you could have poor matchups (decently good still i mean) but still seal the match with individual play skills/styles/ and team SYNERGY! Teams with long history's of teaming up or 2 players with tons of EXP could take advantage of the doubles playing ground to advance other character's metagame and playstyle, some who aren't as common-used as others (epic CF and samus camios in grand finals and stuffs maybe).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
2 vs. 2 will be very interesting because unlike 1v1's, matchups play a small part and team ups play a bigger part in the game--but now, for once, player styles/choices actually could play a HUGE part in the tide of the match. Not only do you have good team matchups (pika & G&W vs. some other teams) but you could have poor matchups (decently good still i mean) but still seal the match with individual play skills/styles/ and team SYNERGY! Teams with long history's of teaming up or 2 players with tons of EXP could take advantage of the doubles playing ground to advance other character's metagame and playstyle, some who aren't as common-used as others (epic CF and samus camios in grand finals and stuffs maybe).
IMO match ups STILL make a big deal. I can't play Ike against ANY team that uses MK or Olimar =\

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
IMO match ups STILL make a big deal. I can't play Ike against ANY team that uses MK or Olimar =\
Believe in yourself! I think against Oli, Ike with Marth/Pika could pull it off cuz we did once against an olimar/ROB teamup (more edge-play/strategic planking) but not impossible. You gotta admit tho, once you pull off an Ike or CF victory on teams at hi-bracket play, it feels so good.

TheVince

Smash Apprentice
Is this thread taking any sort of direction at all yet?
>.>

Instead of just talking about epic doubles matches we have had, how bout we get on our wiiz and actually test out some double stuff over wifi or something..

I use pika/ics/samus if this info would help at all.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
>.>

Instead of just talking about epic doubles matches we have had, how bout we get on our wiiz and actually test out some double stuff over wifi or something..

I use pika/ics/samus if this info would help at all.
Hehe, I was mostly directing my question to ~auto, since he's running the thread. I'd just like to see the thread have something of a plan for how it's going to progress..... seems like it'd be more productive that way.

TheVince

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, I was mostly directing my question to ~auto, since he's running the thread. I'd just like to see the thread have something of a plan for how it's going to progress..... seems like it'd be more productive that way.
Yeah I agree... this thread could be really good if it had a plan.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Is this thread taking any sort of direction at all yet?
Sorry, sorry my fault. I've been extremely busy this whole week (no johns!)
my apologies on not having much progress on the thread. Yes, I do have a direction on which I'm taking this so dont freak out my pikas.
EDIT: I'll get back to it on Monday when things slow down a bit.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
~auto, you can go ahead and bump this thread with what you posted in the social thread, lol.

You won't get in trouble for double posting if it's for a legit reason, hehe.

Btw, Snake is, imo, Pika's best partner for doubles. I'll post more later.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
^ edit: thanks for bumping it for me lolz. I just saw your post.

Pika's current partner is...

SNAKE

- Epic/failure team?
- Any setups possible?
for lulz.

2. Operational Procedures
- Should this team be aggressive in close quarters or defensive from a ranged distance? Passive aggressive?

4. Final thoughts.
Your overall take on the team and the traits discussed. This can be anything on your mind about the discussion regarding the team that hasn’t been mentioned.

Useful threads for discussion:
Pikachu Guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225527
Pikachu Matchups: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174335
Pikachu Directory: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211446
Snake Guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162635
Snake Stage Discussion: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235461
Snake Matchups: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175515

gallax

Smash Hero
Pika's current partner is...

SNAKE

- Epic/failure team?
- Any setups possible?
for lulz.

2. Operational Procedures

4. Final thoughts.
-snake is the type of character who needs to be able to use tilts/nair in teams. most snake players usually can handle themselves in teams and do not need immediate support unless recovering high and in danger or the are being juggled. this team can be very efficient. what makes this team inneficient is when you get near snake and get hit by his grenades/tilts/c4's.

-pikas moveset works well with snakes. snake isnt too good in the air while pika is.

-good team

- when i play with a snake its the most awesome thing ever when we kill. take about 15% off the chars life when snake would usually kill with utilt and thats when we can now kill. utilt is possibly the most broken move in the game and its great to utilize it. snakes utilt>thunder is broken. ftilt>thunder is a good setup.

another good setup is fthrow cg>snake fsmash

-the biggest problem with this team is pikas weight. we can die very early in teams.

-ban jungle japes while CP halberd or FD or SV

2-4.

i really like this team combintation sometimes. when you are playing against a MK/DDD/snake/wario in teams i like using pikachu. the mk will usually try to attack pikachu so its nice to have manueverability. if a char is going to recover high you can usually predict it and using the qac you can get some great surprise kills. one minute you are on one side o the stage then you qac imeediately over to the other and BAM! you got them. this also holds true when the snake uses the utilt and the one who got hit is like"haha im still alive". just go over there and thunder them.

one thing though that you have to be careful of is getting damage too fast. you need to be able to stay away from trouble in this partnership. snake has a lot of grenades. try to be aware of them and to avoid them. when you get really good at teaming with the snake you can have him throw grenades around the stage for you so that you can manipulate the opponent. if the nades are random, still use them. always have the snake tell you if they plant a proximity or c4 and bait opponents.

communicate with the snake. if he is in touble or you are in trouble you both have tools to help the other out. if the snake is being chase in the air by MK/ddd/marth you can help him with thunder. too many times have i seen a mk chasin a snakein the air and i got below them and hit them with thunder. this is probably the most important tool for snake is protecting him when recovering.

you have a tjolt. use it to stun the opponent that your partner is fighting. snake can get a free ftilt in just because you have just hit the opponent with a tjolt. if he is being grabbed, tjolt or qac through the opponent.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
A little something I find awesome to do:
Make a wall of thunders and mortars when people are recovering. Pika can do offstage thunders while Snake spams mortars at the edge, or Pika thunders at the edge with Snake shooting mortars further behind. It's pretty annoying to get past. And if the opponent comes in low past the thunder, Snake can easily hit them with an up tilt/nair or whatever.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can QA through somebody with a C4 stuck to you and it will stick them. Also, C4 stick Pikachu>Pika grabs and up throws>detonate C4, is great. Pika might still wanna thunder in case they dodge the C4 explosion.

Pika also helps with any d-throw tech chasing Snake is gonna do. Nobody is gonna want to roll towards a Pikachu spamming d-smash or thunder, which eliminates one of their options, making it easier for Snake to tech chase. Also, Snake d-throw>thunder is pretty lulzy.

If Pika ever gets one of his CGs going, like taking Falco to 100%, Snake can just jump and nair or do an u-tilt. It might kill him, and if not, it's extra damage tacked onto Pika's CG. Of course, this'll probably only work in 2v1. Make sure Pika shields anything Snake does though.

Pika can glide toss any nades he picks up, which is bound to happen once in a while.

Also, a quick up air can give Snake his cypher back, which is great. And Pika can go out of his way to hit him, since QA goes so far.

D-smash actually becomes useful in my opinion. If an opponent gets hit at higher percents and DIs out of it, they might go flying towards Snake, and he can just u-tilt for a kill.

Projectiles are extremely annoying for the other team. Spamming jolt is annoying to people already, and Snake's plethora of explosives ain't fun to deal with either. Now combine them. It's hard to powershield jolts and approach while having grenades thrown in your face. And there's also a C4 on the path. Snake need only stand behind Pikachu and toss nades while Pika uses jolts. It's one of the few team combinations where you can actually camp together.

So let's see.

-Team operates great as long as Pikachu avoids any explosives and pays attention to them.
-Pikachu's moveset goes great with Snake's. They can do a lot of cool team combos and Pikachu covers Snake's problem in the air. Also stops him from getting juggled, which is one of Snake's biggest issues
-Definitely an epic team, but I may be biased since I love both characters.
-Setups: See above and Gallax's post.
-Strengths: It's sooooo easy to kill and racking up damage isn't hard either. Snake covers the ground with ease, and Pika covers the air.
-Weaknesses: Pika dies really early and he has to be extremely careful of Snake's explosives. Likewise, Snake has to be careful not to hit Pikachu with his explosives.
-Ban: Jungle Japes is the biggest problem. Killing becomes really hard here.
-Counterpick: Halberd for the low ceiling. Brinstar is also good since Snake is actually able to hold his own here very well. Pika becomes more of a backup. Snake can kill in any direction really easy on his own, and can do fancy stuff with those things you can destroy on the bottom platform. Just watch for Snake's explosives cause they're hard to see.
-Team name: ..................... *uncreative*

-All of this stuff is above.

-Pikachu helps both in racking up damage and killing. The two sort of share the roles depending on the situation.
-Yes, projectiles work great. See above.
-Pikachu has nothing to lose by teaming with Snake. He just gets a powerhouse that never dies and kills everything.
-Snake never dies. Ever. So yes he holds stocks.
-The only bad matchup these two share are R.O.B. But together, he shouldn't be any problem.

This is the best team evar. Eeeeeeevaaaaaaar

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
1. Team Profile
- Snake’s projectiles, traps and his near illegal power and range on tilts partnered up with Pikachu’s stellar air game, two projectiles of high versatility and speed make this a team that can control the entire stage with ease when working seamlessly as a team.
- Pikachu’s KO setup potential is greatly increased by snake’s explosives, grab game and UTilt which sets up thunder kills. Pikachu can add to the pressure of being on the ground by spamming Tjolts and qacing to bait a wrong move what can lead to a Claymore or a C4.
- Very epic team!
- Strenghts include high KO power as well as damage racking abilities. Snake can hold stocks and be a sweeper at the same time. Pikachu can sweep, spam and bait. The primary weakness of the team would lie in a lack of attention in the explosives which can be easily corrected by paying attention to your surroundings and communication with your partner.
- Ban Japes or Rainbow Cruise. Go to Halberd, Corneria or Pokemon Stadium
- Team excels in all combat zones (close quarters, ranged and long distance) as well as all tactics (defensive, passive aggressive and all out)
- Explosives launch foes upwards which can put them near thunder. Snake’s Utilt does this as well. Pikachu’s chaingrab into one of Snake’s powerful attacks is scary to think about for the other team. Pikachu can also use his F and B throws into Snake’s Utilt.
- Team name: Snake’s torture device. In reference to Ocelot’s electrical torture device that “can’t be much worse” than Pikachu.

2. Operation
Pretty much the same as section 1 (team profile). I may join those two as well as similar points from other sections for the next discussion just to streamline it and not have that much text (it’s not like it’s that much but still) for future discussions.

3. Benefits to Pikachu and partner
- Snake’s survival ability paired with his incredible kill potential is pretty much what Pikachu asked for in a doubles partner. Snake’s mediocre off stage/air game is not needed when Pikachu can venture out there with his stellar performance off stage. The team can cover the field the air and the offstage areas of the battle giving full control to the team.
- Solid projectile attributes make this team very strong with that alone.
- Snake can’t die so Snake can hold on to stocks with great ease. With proper DI Pikachu can live up into the 145-155% range, but who cares snake doesn’t die!
- Snake can negate Pikachu’s bad matchups (see secondary discussion) except for Rob. Pikachu can take care of King Dedede and Falco.

4. Final Thoughts
Sometimes our relationships with others get in between that which is truly important. If you hate Snake go team with one and you'll see that everything will be patched up before you can say "we 4 stocked a team."

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
- Team name: Snake’s torture device. In reference to Ocelot’s electrical torture device that “can’t be much worse” than Pikachu.
Don't use autofire.

I was gonna suggest something relating to Raiden since his name has something to do with lightning, but then I remembered that Raiden was gay and I hated him.

I think "Solid Squirrel" is an awesome team name. Cause Pikachu is a squirrel.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Don't use autofire.

I was gonna suggest something relating to Raiden since his name has something to do with lightning, but then I remembered that Raiden was gay and I hated him.

I think "Solid Squirrel" is an awesome team name. Cause Pikachu is a squirrel.
You know, I'm pretty sure that the pokedex refers to pikachu as the electric mouse pokemon...

Top Bottom