• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago Comic-Con Tourney, Rosemont, IL, August, 6-9, *Quick Update*

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR

Hi I'm Calvin Lofton Co-Founder of VGBootCamp,

I host tourneys on the East Coast. I have a good amount of experience and one of the Tourneys I've Run(Brawl 'Til you Fall) was the Second Event of the East Coast Regional Circuit. My Bro(Mathew Lofton) and I hope to bring a lot more to the tourney Scene. Since this is our first Midwest Event I'd just like to say I hope you come and enjoy it.

VG Expo Chicago Comic-Con Tourney
August 7th-9th , 2009

Venue Location:

5555 N. River Road
Rosemont, IL 60018

Equipment:
- 5 or more Kiosk Set ups for each game

Games/Events:

*The Following Games will have Multiple Tourneys Through Out the 3 Day Period *

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
Entry Fee: $20
Format: 1 v. 1
Takes Place: Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Wii Sports Bowling (Wii)
Entry Fee: $10
Format: Best Score

Halo 3 (360)
Formant: Free for All

Halo 3 (360)

Entry Fee: $30
Format: 2v2
Takes Place: Saturday and Sunday

Call of Duty 4 (360)

Formant: Free for All

Call of Duty 4 (360)
Entry Fee: $30
Format: 2v2

Street Fighter 4 (PS3)

Formant: 1 v 1

King of the Fighters 12 (PS3)

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2)

Guilty Gear Accent Core 4 Plus (PS2)

Street Fighter 3rd Strike

Formant: 2 v 2

Grand Slam Tennis

1v1 10.00 and 2v2 20.00

Schedule:

Brawl Singles:

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Tourney 1: 2pm-4pm

Tourney 2: 4Pm-6Pm

That's a Total of 6 Tourneys! we're expecting around 30-50 people to show for each one.

Hotels/Motels/Holiday Inns:

Price/Registration/Payouts:

------------------------------

There are Multiple Different Package Deals for Getting into the Comic-Con, Check them out here:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/wizworchic20.html

The Cost for Each Event(Which is Separate from the Cost of Getting into the Comic-Con) can be Found Above in the Games/Events Section.

Because of the Cost of Renting Multiple Booths at the Event The Tourney Organizers will be Taking 50% of the Pot. This is why the Entry Fee is Twice as Much as it Would Normally be. Unless you're Going to the Comic-Con Already, or you're a Pro at any of these games, I suggest that you don't Come to the Comic-Con JUST to enter one of these Tourneys.

Of the Remaining Pot the Winners will get the following amount:

1st - 60%
2nd -30%
3rd - 10%

To PreRegister for any one of the Events Click Which of the Following Events Apply to you. From What I know Right Now PreRegistration is NOT Required

Friday Registration

https://videogame.ticketleap.com/bu.../rosemont/3E09C407-CC59-49F5-A0D9-4ABB72FA22E

Saturday Registration

https://videogame.ticketleap.com/bu.../rosemont/46880969-B441-4EE9-A311-844BECDABB5

Sunday Registration

https://videogame.ticketleap.com/bu.../rosemont/13B05046-A8A4-4FF8-B640-E250D49C02D

Rules

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles

-Please arrive on time. If you are late, I can not guarantee you a spot in whatever tourney you are late for.
-There are no refunds.
- Whether you are in a tourney or not, if you are in the venue you must pay the venue fee.
- DO NOT LOAD YOUR GAME THROUGH THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL!!! . If you would like unlimited length replays enabled, I will use my own personal sd card to load the game (sorry I can't trust anyone without knowledge of what codes they have on).
-Trash talking is allowed, and is encouraged! We love the hype! However, please do not distract the players too much at their discretion. Respect their right to focus on a match.
* Any destruction of anyone's property at the venue will not be tolerated, and in the case of such an event, you will be asked to leave.
- No drugs, alcohol, or any crap like that in there. If you have any, you will be kicked out.
-You may not be a commentator on the live stream without first having consent by myself, or any other approved tourney helper there. If you are commentating on the live stream, please act professional. Focus more on the match at hand instead of giving people tons of shutouts in the chat. No cursing at all. By all means keep it lively and fun though. all have an awesome time!

Singles:

3 Stock

8 Minute Time Limit

No Items

If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You should not quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.

First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. The first stage will then be determined by a stage strike method. Players take turn striking out neutral stages until only one stage remains, which is the stage that is played. After the first match is over, each player bans one stage that can not be used in counterpicks.

Match two/three will first consist of the previous loser picking a stage, then the previous winner picking their character, and finally the previous loser picking their character.

You may not counterpick a stage you have already won on earlier that set.

Neutral Stages:

o Battlefield
o Final Destination
o Smashville
o Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
o Lylat Cruise

* Counterpick Stages:

o Delfino Plaza
o Castle Siege
o Frigate Orpheon
o Battleship Halberd
o Rainbow Cruise
o Brinstar
o Pokemon Stadium

-The 50 Ledge Grab Rule will be in effect, until the community as a whole comes up with a set number, we will make the limit 50 grabs. If the game ends with the time running out and your stats show that you went over 50 ledge grabs, you will automatically lose that round. If both people go over 50, then participating players Who ever has the highest stock and or lowest percentage on that stock will win. If both player have the same stock and percentage when the timer runs out, then a 1 stock rematch will occur.

-Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab.
-Ice Climber things are legal, as long as they aren't used for stalling.
-If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it (best 2 out of 3, no items, FD only).
- Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
o If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
o If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie the one who initiated the move will win the round

If you would Like the Rules and schedules to any of the other games please say so and I'll be sure to let you know

EDIT:

Alright guys as of right now my brother and I are not gonna be there.

We kind of got screwed over by the people who hired us.

The tourney is probably gonna have weird rules now cause we aren't running it and it may even be single elimination.

I'm sorry, we did whatever we could in the last two days to get there and run it but it just didn't happen.

This was out of our control

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
How do you expect to complete tournaments with 30-50 people in two hours?

I won't be here either way, thats way too much to spend for one tournament. Sorry.

Tink

Smash Hero
rofl, 50% taken? wow ggs.....ive been to many wizard worlds in my time, and have never seen a gaming tourny ran outta a booth? good luck with this.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
rofl, 50% taken? wow ggs.....ive been to many wizard worlds in my time, and have never seen a gaming tourny ran outta a booth? good luck with this.
Yeah it's gonna be tough, but I think we can handle this.

I really don't expect many people from smashboards to come to this because of the price. there are gonna be alot of noobs entering though so if one of your guys pros comes out he'll probably clean it up.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
But it won't really be cleaning up with only 50% of the pot...
Well since you're paying $20 instead of $10 you'll still be cleaning up just as much as you would at a regular Brawl tourney

Me14k

Smash Lord
LOL

How do you expect to complete tournaments with 30-50 people in two hours?
gg.
guys, its brawl only
lol nub.
WTF?
no melee? =(
melee is too difficult for noobs.
Well since you're paying $20 instead of $10 you'll still be cleaning up just as much as you would at a regular Brawl tourney
lol @ teh pathetic johnz.

I will not be going.
Someone host a melee fest instead.

TheStig

Smash Lord
I might show up for one of the Friday tournaments

GIMR friendlies? or will you be too busy running tournaments there?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I might show up for one of the Friday tournaments

GIMR friendlies? or will you be too busy running tournaments there?
I'll probably be really busy but It might be possible that we can do some friendlies.

Since me and my bro are only running 4 of the tourneys we might be able to do some friendlies afterward

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
just ignore me14k.. he's somewhat of a troll if you didn't notice.

anyways good luck with this. but yeah to enter just fro brawl.. thats alot especially sense you have to all for all 3 days. oh well, post back on this how it turned out.. i wanna know who wins too. lol

Me14k

Smash Lord
just ignore me14k.. he's somewhat of a troll if you didn't notice.

anyways good luck with this. but yeah to enter just fro brawl.. thats alot especially sense you have to all for all 3 days. oh well, post back on this how it turned out.. i wanna know who wins too. lol
$10 mm melee and brawl.

Me14k

Smash Lord
I'd just like to quickly point out that you beating him in a MM does not prove or disprove whether you are a troll or not.
Troll would be someone who wonders around a forum, reading and responding to everything without being good/experienced/acknowledged.

By beating him I am better than him.

Plus, I could use $

Strafer Vilchis

Smash Rookie
Answer please

is there a age requirment..

if there isnt im going on friday...

I would play in the cod4 tournament

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
is there a age requirment..

if there isnt im going on friday...

I would play in the cod4 tournament

To my knowledge there is No age requirement

do you guys have a phone number that i can call, i have a couple questions..

BB@G Are Gonna be the main runners of the tourney. I'll give you their number.

443-468-9562

Arty

Smash Lord
Wait... the tournament is going to be only 2 hours long and you're expecting 30-50 people??
Is there going to be a loser's bracket?
Is it going to be 3 stocks?

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
It better be 2 stock 5 mins time double elimination or you'll never get the tournament done and/or won't have anyone participate.

NO ONE IS GONING TO PAY $20 for a single elimination tournament. NO ONE!!!

Sorry but that's teh truthz.

i hope this goes well. hell i wish I could come and help you guys run the tournament. pm me and we can go over some details GIMR. ;)

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Wait... the tournament is going to be only 2 hours long and you're expecting 30-50 people??
Is there going to be a loser's bracket?
Is it going to be 3 stocks?
Well we're Running the tournament. We didn't make the schedule. We have a couple people of above us. I know 2 hours is tiny for a 30 person tourney.

We'll extend it if we have to, and we're really fast at getting things done so I don't think it should be a huge problem.

At "Brawl 'til you fall" we almost finished teams in 2 hours

This will be double elimination 3 stocks.

It better be 2 stock 5 mins time double elimination or you'll never get the tournament done and/or won't have anyone participate.

NO ONE IS GONING TO PAY $20 for a single elimination tournament. NO ONE!!!

Sorry but that's teh truthz.

i hope this goes well. hell i wish I could come and help you guys run the tournament. pm me and we can go over some details GIMR. ;)
I think we'll be fine running this :p are you going?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Alright guys as of right now my brother and I are not gonna be there.

We kind of got screwed over by the people who hired us.

The tourney is probably gonna have weird rules now cause we aren't running it and it may even be single elimination.

I'm sorry, we did whatever we could in the last two days to get there and run it but it just didn't happen.

This was out of our control

Ryzen_Xia

Smash Rookie
LOL, you guys should of went. I ***** the hell out of the tournament and won approx. $400+.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
LOL, you guys should of went. I ***** the hell out of the tournament and won approx. $400+.
yeah I was already told you and faye won a lot of money. If would've gone you would've had a better challenge.

Too bad. I hope you at least had a good time :)

Ryzen_Xia

Smash Rookie
Yeah I definitely had a good time, I love cons. TO BE HONEST:

I didn't even know about the smash tournament there until I heard it over the loud speaker, and then I went over and I saw the tournament and was like Woohoo.

And man, it was the weirdest thing going against my ex girlfriend, but we got along good and it was nice to see her again!

And then I foudn this thread on smashboards.com because I actually tried to find the results of the tournament on google XD

AND, I actually got the checks in today, holy cow they came out to $525.

Top Bottom