• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB's Dsmash just killed me at 82% (Video Up)

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Wtf.... i got hit by i think the last part of robs dsmash at 82% and went straight up and died. i was playing falco on FD, and the rob was a lvl 6 CPU.

i have the replay, should i upload it or is this already known?

The ROB just died, so the Dsmash was fresh.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmcb_iwmwak

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I'm not exactly sure. Never heard of anything like this happening before, the video would be nice. That is unless someone else knows anything about it.

PS: Next time use the Q&A thread :)

Sudai

Stuff here
Uh, upload it. I know the last hit of DSmash can kill fairly low on light characters. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the DSmash decays itself, but I'm pretty sure the multiple hits are fast enough to register as one hit on the decay counter.

You might have just been DIing -very- poorly and accidentally SDI'd up as well or something crazy. Getting the vid up in HD would be awesome.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I just tested this. The last hit from a fresh Dsmash has no where near the kill power to kill falco, so it must've been something on Falco's part to help him get killed.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Still though, how bad does one have to botch their DI to die to a D-smash at 80%, especially off the top (since he said "straight up")

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What's weird is it's hard to go straight up, Dsmash sends you diagonally. Even then, Falco probably jumped while still having momentum. Regardless, I want to see that replay.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
ROB D-Smashed Falco in his butthole, but Falco ran away before ROB could N-Air him, if you know what I mean.

Sudai

Stuff here
Still though, how bad does one have to botch their DI to die to a D-smash at 80%, especially off the top (since he said "straight up")
Yeah, sometimes no DI is better than DIing.. XD

Maybe you got hit when charging a smash attack? I've heard that amplifies knockback, idk.

:059:
I've heard this as well. Never tested it but it's not to hard to test if someone wants to do that for me? My Wii's not hooked up. :p

-Handicap to some random high percent just for clarity's sake.
-FSmash the enery (doesn't matter which characters you pick)
-Finish the game and write down the "Max Fly Speed" or something along those lines.
-Repeat but charge a smash attack with the second character.
-Woo.

that is the definition of west coast di
lol

nevershootme

Smash Master
simple question with simple answer... did you hold up on the controller while getting hit from the last hit of d-smash? cuz that may happen...

i remember a cpu jigglypuff randomly run up, turned and u-tilted my sheik and i died vertical in between 80%-100% range... and yea i may have held up

AfroTwist ShadowPie

Smash Journeyman
You gotta have some insane DI to be able to get killed like that lolololol
Maybe you TDI/SDIed like 10 times upwards after the last hit 0______o

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I paused the video right before you got hit and it seems you turned around. I going to guess you tried a turn around up smash but got hit while still charging your up smash. Getting hit while charging a smash attack makes you receive extra knockback. If you don't c-stick really fast smashes like Falco's Usmash, chances are you won't let go of A before the charging frame. If someone thinks it's bogus you could always try it in training mode. C-stick a Dsmash with DK on Marth at 89% and do the same thing without the c-stick. Unless you are really fast at pushing buttons you will notice that you KO him when you don't c-stick.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Even with ROB charging the dsmash a little bit, 82% is way too low. Uncharged, the dsmash kills really high, like 170%?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
When you get hit while charging a smash attack you get hit farther than usual. Go to vs mode, set the handicap to 80%, and let him jab you or whatever to get 2 more %. Try spacing yourself so that only the last hit of ROB's Dsmash hits you while charging a Usmash. Let ROB charge the Dsmash a little bit too. I'm sure that if you do all of this it will KO you. Make sure the Dsmah is fresh if it takes a couple tries.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
iirc, the increased knockback from getting hit while charging a smash is something to the tune of 20%

Even with the knockback being thrown into your DI (as per the thread) its still hard for me to believe that its enough to kill off the top at that percent.

Fresh D-smash won't kill until like... the high 100's (180+) and a 20% increase in knockback as the result of getting hit while charging a smash =/= dying at 82%.

Edit: Also, according to the page that was linked, it only increases the knockback of the first hit of the multi-hit move, so if one of the arms hit besides the final swing, then the whole kit-and-kaboodle is negated, as the increased knockback won't apply to the final hit. (I couldn't see exactly if he got hit with any other hit besides the final one)

Adapt

Smash Lord
Also, your upsmash DI gets held over so you can't DI to the side even if you wanted to.

82% does seem low, but falco is very light, and I was sure that a fresh d-smash kills in the 140 range, but maybe I'm wrong

I have to say it must have been a contributor, but there may have been something else

EDIT: I just thought of something else... some moves do more knockback to grounded targets. I dunno why. You can see this with Luigi's shoryuken. The grounded version kills much earlier than the aerial version.

When you are getting hit by the earlier hits in d-smash you are being put in the air, while in this case falco was on the ground for the final hit.

Sudai

Stuff here
Too many people have said fresh DSmash kills at high percents, and that's wrong. Go into training and it'll kill Falco around 140-150%. Definitely not the same as 180%. The bad DI makes that number even lower. Then you also have to realize the 20% extra knockback isn't "Knockback as if the person was 20% higher damage", it's literally 20% extra knockback which may or may not be the same as being hit at 20% higher damage.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Wow i didnt know there was a 20% increase in knockback if u get hit while charging a smash. That explains most of this

TEECO

Smash Ace
With all that was said being said, 82 seems super duper low to kill with ROB's Dsmash.

Lol @ him taunting you. I had a CPU taunt me twice in a row. ****ing disrespectful yo.

Sudai

Stuff here
No. Read the thread. Fresh DSmash is a fairly reliable kill move if you connect with the last hit (the only hit that hit so it's guaranteed it hit) and the Falco was charging a USmash which makes you gain an extra 20% knockback. READ!

SuSa

Banned via Administration
theres extra knockback if ur hit while charging a move?
Yes, not sure about 20% but you do suffer extra knockback.

You can see this by using Snake's ftilt (first hit). If you hit someone while they are charging a smash, they get hit away as if you hit them while they were airborne (which seems to also increase knockback. oo I need to do some testing on that)

.AC.

Smash Lord
if you get hit while charging a smash attack you get a lot more knockback.

Top Bottom