• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applications of Ariel Interupting.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Pleaes read the ENTIRE thread before watching the video so you know what is going on!!!

So I was messing around with Yohsi and discovered something that actually works quite well for a few other characters too (Possibly even all, but some might be too hard to be worth learning).

What is it?

Basically it seems to be a way to land lagless on any surface from a jump or double jump. It can be the bottom of the level or it can be on a platform.

How is it done?

Crouch Landing is performed by performing an ariel right as your passing through the platform around when your character would be standing on it, so basically when your character is touching the bottom.

What characters is it useful for?

So far I have found that's its extremely useful for Sheik/Yoshi/samus. Its not too hard to perform with Pikachu either. I'm also still experimenting with ganondorf and others. I think it potentially works for all characters its just really hard with some, but don't quote me on this. I have faith that dedicated falcon mains can make use of it also after further testing.

Why not just waveland straight down??

I have tested this a bunch, but some one with AR should double check, but this seems to have virtually 0 frames of lag compared to wavelanding down's 10 frames (assuming you do it perfect). Combine th fact that your probably not wavelanding down perfectly theres about 10-15 frames of lag doing it this way as oppose to like 0 or 1 performing a Crouch Land.

Do Not get it confused with PC dropping.
If your are not familar with what PC dropping is please watch this video real fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxg...F4B3AB94&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19
Its at the end of the vid. While watching it please note that while pc dropping you have to drop down to the precise spot that when you jump back up you barley get on the platform. With Crouch Landing this is not necessary at all. You can be passing through it with any type of height left in your jump and all that good stuff and still Crouch land on it provided your timing is good.

Key differences to look for in PC dropping and this. No smoke is visible when you are PC dropping, however there is during Crouch Landing. Also your chraacter doesn't crouch during PC dropping it just like "pops" back up onto the platform. If you sucessfuly Crouch Land you will see your character crouch and that little bit of smoke.

Suggesitons :

I would start trying to learn this with yoshi as its by far the easiest (kinda like luigi and Wding). I would also suggest nair for him. All of his ariels work, but hitting A seems easiet with yoshi. For Sheik I suggest using Up - Air (On the c-stick) Same Sheik for samus and pikahu. All 3 of thoes chars its easiest to use up on the c-stick to get this techinque to work (In fact it might be necessary I couldn't do it with their other ariels).

If your trying it and its not working, what I did to make it easier for myself was PC dropped a few times then right as i knew my character was gonna land did the proper ariel. Then i payed attention to where in space my character was in relation to the platform and i was able to do it out of just full jumps and double jumps that would have otherwise more than cleared the platform.

Applications (Why is it useful?) :

Lets say you hit some one up onto the middle plaform on Deramland. You want to get up there to tech chas with a ground attack but you fear wavelanding down will take too long, with this you can get up there as fast as possible and possibly hit with a ground move that you might not be able to.

You can move around platforms faster and space yourself and mindgame better using this than normal wavelands with certain characters like yoshi.

Its useful for recovering with yohsi ganon and samus also. As let go of the edge and start jumping back on you use this similar to wavelanding down but faster which is also cool.

Final Thoughts :

Let me know what you think about this new AT (Melee is still finding new ones after 8 years amazing).

Also please post videos of you doing it with other characters or better than me with the characters In my video. Or doing combos that aren't otherwise possible without it. For example Up smashing some one onto the platform above then wanting to follow up but normally the 10 frames from waveland lag make you too slow, but now you can. Something along those lines.

Any new way you see to apply this please post here and I will update the why is it useful section accordingly.

Oh also Crouch landing is by no means pernament if you guys come up with a better name, then we can name it that. Just something off the top of my head.

Video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m011w0YT-lo

LLDL

Smash Hero
I tried this too. You can do any attack instantly after landing. Hmm. I'll check AR and see how many frames it takes up.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I've known about this for months now, but it just seemed to error prone to use with Ganon. I didn't care to try with anyone else.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I've known about this for months now, but it just seemed to error prone to use with Ganon. I didn't care to try with anyone else.
Lol, by your avatar it seems your a yoshi player too. Its pretty easy to discover if you play yoshi. Its extremely useful for samus/sheik/yoshi IMO. Poppoping onto platforms with instant down smashes is great for all those chars. I can do it fairly consistently with ganon, but its not that great for him.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Lol, by your avatar it seems your a yoshi player too. Its pretty easy to discover if you play yoshi. Its extremely useful for samus/sheik/yoshi IMO. Poppoping onto platforms with instant down smashes is great for all those chars. I can do it fairly consistently with ganon, but its not that great for him.
I only used Yoshi in Brawl when it came out (I was back to my melee Ganon in no time.)

It is a pretty good technique, I just didn't realize the potential at the time.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I only used Yoshi in Brawl when it came out (I was back to my melee Ganon in no time.)

It is a pretty good technique, I just didn't realize the potential at the time.
Haha good man. Ganons have been ripping it up lately. Kage and linguini and that one guy who ***** armada in that genesis vid. xD

Steelia

Smash Champion
LOL, I've done this for quite a while now, but didn't think of it as anything "new", other than a wannabe-wavedash kind of maneuver.

Looking at it now, in the video, I could learn to make it a bit more... versatile.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I think hes talking about the fact that samus's up air and a few other ariels will get u just high enough to land on the platform with no lag. However if you were to jump way too high while doing those ariels you will just go above the platform attacking with this you do not. Sorry i'm not good at explaining these things maybe some one else can help. Like for example i think on battlefield with samus if you short hop up air the up air fininshes and you are on the platform with no lag. Its not the same tho. I"m actually not even doing an ariel at all. I'm inputting one, but its not coming out the character just enters the crouch animation with no lag on top of the platform.

In fact he could improve his score here by a few miliseconds by using my technique at the end of this vid instead of wavelanding down. Something his techinque could not do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp70evtW7KE&NR=1

All Crouch Landing does is make you land on a platform and be able to move faster than wavelanding on it then moving. Thats about it heh.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think they are the same.
Yea...eggm sorry but these are the same ;|

What phanna is doing is (most likely) using Uair(could be any aerial) right as he lands on the platform, causing the Uair to cancel before it even comes out, and him to be standing on he platform, lagless

Rohins showed me this at a recent melee tournament as well

it is useful

you can pop onto the stage from holding the ledge and do a move really quickly

SDC

Smash Lord
hmmmm sorry eggm, i've used this before myself once or twice, but never really thought too much about it. and yeah i think phanna already did that: using an ariel to cancel your landing lag. good vid though, i would keep it up on yt just cuz it is informing to those who haven't already seen the phanna vid, and it explains it a bit more. sorry man, but i dont think that ones new :(

Eggm

Smash Hero
Thats fine lol, you guys are acting like i'm crushed. You got a link to his thread about it he probably has some useful info in it that I don't.

Its fun to use this with falcon's Nair on battlefileld. If you run from one of the middle platforms jump and hit A on the top platform it works everytime.

I'm really surpised sheik players dont' do this more. Its so easy with her and all that platform tech chasing sheik mains do.

Falco can perform this lagless with bair, link/ylink with dair only

Ganon can do it with nair

Every char is differnt lol, but I think that pretty much all of them can do this with at least one of their ariels.

Pi

Smash Hero
It's useful when you have a marth stalking you while you're on the edge just out of range of any aerial you have ready to forwardsmash your *** and make you sweat it trying to get back on that ledge

you do it and ftilt those punk *** marths

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there's 4 frames of lag w/ this.
personally i would prefer wavelanding to be able to get some distance, but it has some applications.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
yeah rohins showed this to me in person, it has a ton of applications with samus. A nice app is doing this from hanging off a ledge so that you immediately pop up on the stage ready to do an attack, it can surprise people a lot just because the attack comes out so fast.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Guys whats the purpose of saying you already knew this, it's just spam at this point the new topic of the thread are the proper applications of it.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Zoso actually uses this with Marth when hanging from the ledge. Since people come to expect the waveland such he often ledgehop to lagless land. Fsmash and grab come out so fast like this.

This is just another application where you don't use and aerial you just do the lagless land thing. Figured I would toss this in there. Works really well for Ganon to lagless land and jab as another example.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Isn't this the same thing as auto canceling aerials? If so, isn't this something that was intentionally put in the game?

Rat

Smash Lord
I can do this coming up on platforms, but not on the edge. (This is with Samus btw). Do you need to do something other than Uair? What's the deal here.

Pi

Smash Hero
I can do this coming up on platforms, but not on the edge. (This is with Samus btw). Do you need to do something other than Uair? What's the deal here.
You can do it coming up from the ledge the same as with platforms, just find the timing/spacing

It all happens pretty quickly,
try this
hit away from the stage to drop
then hold toward the stage
hit your jump button
then Uair as if you were wavelanding

Eggm

Smash Hero
You can do it coming up from the ledge the same as with platforms, just find the timing/spacing

It all happens pretty quickly,
try this
hit away from the stage to drop
then hold toward the stage
hit your jump button
then Uair as if you were wavelanding
Yeah after you mentioned doing it off the edge with samus/ganon I tried it, its really really fast/easy and cool. I wish it was good for falco. xD At least its useful for yoshi my 3rd string char lol.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
can game and watch cancel his non-cancelable aerials with it?

for that matter, can gaw's nair, bair, and uair be ledge cancelled? i've never tried lol

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
For yoshi, this is pretty good for canceling your second jump. But it's more effective to platform cancel your first jump with a DJ which gives even less lag than aerial canceling.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yeah after you mentioned doing it off the edge with samus/ganon I tried it, its really really fast/easy and cool. I wish it was good for falco. xD At least its useful for yoshi my 3rd string char lol.
yea I've caught my marth buddy off guard by it a few times when he's waitin to Fsmash me
it's faster than anything else samus can do really, and followed by a Ftilt, it's got a lot of range

Top Bottom