• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arcade Legends Ranking Battles - Fairfield, OH – August 8, 15, 22

Osirun

Smash Cadet
Arcade Legends in Fairfield, OH is continuing into its second month of AL Ranbats: Season 1, in their 3000+ square foot arcade. Come prove yourself among players in the local scene and spend some quality time with over 50 arcade and pinball machines set on free play.

Dates:
August 2009 Schedule (All ranbats are held on Saturdays)

August 8th: SFIV and SF:3S and HDR

August 15th: SSBB and SSBM

August 22nd: GGAC+ and BB

Time:
Walk-in registration begins at 11:30am and ends at 12:30pm. Ranbat matches will begin promptly at 1pm.

5951-3 Boymel Dr.
Fairfield, OH 45014

Located in the Fair Oaks Plaza.
Google Map
Check out the AL website

Fees:
Normal arcade customers pay a flat rate of $12 for all-day access, but when you sign up and play in at least one ranbat tourney you pay $10. Ranbat entry itself is completely free.

Important Notes:
These ranbats require you to bring your own controller/arcade stick (BYOC). We will also be using exclusively PS3s where applicable.

Prizes:

Weekend Tournament Prizes (per game)

1st Place: Free admission ticket to the arcade

2nd Place: Buy 1 Get 1 Free admission ticket to the arcade

3rd Place: Congratulatory energy drink

3 Month Season Prizes (per game)

1st Place: $25 and an Arcade Legends t-shirt

2nd Place: $15

3rd Place: Free admission ticket to the arcade

The Point System:

There are 3 tournaments held for each game over the course of 3 months. First place in each tournament receives 9 points, second place 8 points, and so on until eighth place, which receives 2 points. Players who place lower than eighth receive one point. There will be posts online which will show current point standings.

At the end of the 3 month season the player with the highest number of points amassed from the 3 tournaments is the season champion for that game.

Game Rules:

Best 2/3 matches, double elimination.
Winners', Losers' and Grand Finals are best 3/5.
Button mapping/binding that is allowed in-game is legal.
Turbo/rapid fire/programmed combos are illegal.

SFIV (PS3)
No bans!

SF:3S (PS2)
Gill is not allowed in tournament play.

SF:HDR
Remixed Mode.
Akuma is banned.

GGAC+ (PS2)
Gold, Shadow, and EX Characters are not allowed in tournament play.

BB (PS3)
Ultimate Characters are not allowed in tournament play.

SSBB (Wii)
SBR Certified Ruleset

The only changes have been made to what stages are starter/counter/banned, and the changes are within SBR guidelines. Lists will be provided on tourney day.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Norfair

Banned
Everything else

SSBM (Wii/GC)
SBR Certified Ruleset

These are minor, concrete changes to the ruleset:
Stock: 4
Time Limit: 6 min
Sets will be best 2/3 until finals, where they are 3/5.

The stage lists have not been changed, but here they are just so you know:

Starter
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counterpick
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom II
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned
Everything else

Summary:
3 month seasons, 3 tournaments per game. Each game has one tournament per month.

You’re only paying what you normally would to get into the arcade, so please stay and play after the ranbats are finished! Arcade Legends also regularly hosts other tournaments where additional entry fees make up much larger cash prizes.

The list of games is subject to change depending on popularity.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Interesting, we may look into this. Louisville may make the drive out to this, I don't think we have anything planned for this weekend.

edit: just reread the section on prizes. Is it not a regular tournament where entry fee goes into a pot? It may be harder for us to get a group that wants to come in this case.

Osirun

Smash Cadet
No, no entry fees for the tournament itself. You pay to get into the arcade, which is a normal fee, but the games are ranbats only. The prize comes at the end of the three month season, so it only really pays to make it to every tournament. It's meant more for people within an hour or so driving distance.

Arcade Legends does have normal, paid entry tourneys regularly though, outside of the ranbats. I think Infern Angelis is considering organizing a Smash tourney at AL soon, but I don't know what his current plans may be.

Keep an eye out for the next AL smash tournament. It's probably coming sometime soon.

Lunar2

Smash Rookie
Will be there as usual. Hopefully I can catch some rest this time around, I'll see if I can get the Friday before off of work.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i'm probably going to be there on the 15th if not the 22nd...22nd everybody will be in mi probably so ss and i got this

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm probably going to go to this because the other tournament this day is really far away lol. Prize system is weird but whatever.

If I win and get a free pass, does that mean I can use that free pass for the next one of these tournaments? Also, will there be a recording system for this like there was last time? Is it only Brawl and Melee singles or is there doubles as well?

arcadelegends

Smash Cadet
I'm probably going to go to this because the other tournament this day is really far away lol. Prize system is weird but whatever.

If I win and get a free pass, does that mean I can use that free pass for the next one of these tournaments? Also, will there be a recording system for this like there was last time? Is it only Brawl and Melee singles or is there doubles as well?
The free pass or buy one get one you can win is good anytime even for future tournaments. So win this and get into Braw Bootcamp FREE on 9-5. As I'm sure you read from the original post, these are FREE to enter. You only pay to get into the arcade. It's meant to be like a league and not your standard money tourney. There is money at the end of the 3 month league for the highes point earner though. It seems as though everyone else except Brawl players have embraced this concept as a chance to get some good matches in and not have to spend a ton of money.

Some of you need to come out and give Steel Samurai and Great Muldini some fierce competition.

As for the recording, that depends on if Osirun comes and brings his gear. He usually does but I can't promise anything. Anyone with a video camera is welcome to record matches.

Finally, these are singles only ranbats. There will be doubles at the big tourney in September of course.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Ah. Well I think I'm going to just hang around for this one anyway rather than going to s2d. I'm exhausted from last week and my friend wants to enter this for Melee. Cincinnati better take top 3 down there.

arcadelegends

Smash Cadet
Is there anyone coming tomorrow that can bring a setup? i would need a small crt tv (19-27"), Wii, Brawl and Melee if possible. Free admission to the supplier. Come win a "week" prize!

arcadelegends

Smash Cadet
can you guys see if you can delay the tournament till 2 or 3 so that me,infern angelis, and Y.b.M. can come
I will ask the other entrants if they don't mind but it's really up to them. It's too last minute to change it officially. 2pm would be the latest we could start. Call me at the arcade around 1230 tomorrow and i will let you know if we can hold it up. If you know you can't come by 2 just post it up here and i will check it tomorrow.

Thanks Tyr for the setup.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
We could probably just start with Melee and get to Brawl by 2 or whatever. I don't think ybm, infern and smash were planning on doing Melee, just Brawl.

arcadelegends

Smash Cadet
If one of the God Kais can confirm that they will be here by 2 I will hold it until then. Everyone seems to be ok with that. Call the arcade at 513-874-8766 and let me know.

Top Bottom