• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Dthrow Spike

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Once again i discovered something for Zelda lol. I have been doing a lot of testing and i see that Zelda can spike some characters using her dthrow near the ledge. The reason why it works is her dthrow puts them below her and send them at around a 45 degree angle (DI makes this a range of 0 to 90 degrees depending on character). So on Battlefield it causes them to hit the ledge and be sent downwards.

The reason why it works on some characters and not all is because of body shape. When they are sent backwards, part of their body gets caught on the ledge cause the weird effect, and in those cases a severe wall spike or a weird bounce from the dthrow. In the spike cases, it can always lead to them losing their stock, even from 0%. Falco for example its just impossible. Its the same effect if marth did his CG to dair....but worse. Even by some miracle he were to make almost make it back (if he knows it was coming), zelda can just edgehog or dair him.

The reason why it sometimes work on the right side and not the left is because the stages aren't symmetrical. IF u pay close attention to the structure of Battlefield, The right side doesn't match the left.

So i made some videos testing it to ALL CHARACTERS for the weird effects so they will be no question as to who it works on.

Here are the testing videos. Everyone knows my character select screen is weird so ur gonna have to see it to know whats the order

Mario to Lucas tested

MK to all 3 pokemon of PT Tested

ICs to ROB. Also tests on other possible stages for the weird effects.

Further testing on other stages and effects

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Thanks again NL. You gotta come out to Mass again so we can play. I need help passing the plateau I've reached. Cause you don't do enough in the community, you need to start giving private lessons too. :p

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Have you tried this yet on a platform? Like on Smashville?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Of the 3 times you displayed Falco in the first video, only 1 spiked. That's what I was speaking of.
I'll explain this in the first post. The stages aren't symmetrical which is why it only worked on the right side and not the left.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if it's possible for Fox or Falco to do this, but in Melee you could do a d-throw near the edge and your opponent would go launching downward while getting hit by the lasers. It's actually quite situational but can make good for an edgeguard.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Figured it was something like that. Just forgot if you did it twice on one side of Falco.

I know the stages aren't symmetrical. It's why Link's Phantom Boomerang only works on the right side.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
One of those things that is nice to know..................but never going to happen in a match. If what I saw from the vids was accurate, the opponent has to be nearly falling off of the stage.

Good s*** NL, I thank you for your continued efforts to contribute to the Zelda community.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I was messing about with this after watching innocentroad's vid - it's amazing how there are still tiny complexities in certain moves that are still undiscovered. I find it more amazing how they're all for Zelda LOL! Very nice find.

If you want any help testing things out let me know.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
One of those things that is nice to know..................but never going to happen in a match. If what I saw from the vids was accurate, the opponent has to be nearly falling off of the stage.

Good s*** NL, I thank you for your continued efforts to contribute to the Zelda community.
I did this with sonic vs D3 and ur back has to be on the ledge. I'm sure i can land this on someone. If someone is doing a normal getup u can easily get this.

I was messing about with this after watching innocentroad's vid - it's amazing how there are still tiny complexities in certain moves that are still undiscovered. I find it more amazing how they're all for Zelda LOL! Very nice find.

If you want any help testing things out let me know.
I was thinking about this for months after i found the sonic one. Just didnt get a chance to. Once i saw the vid im like *** i forgot about it so i did the testing for it.

Make sure everyone u see all the vids. Its nots just BF its also smashville and frigate.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I did this with sonic vs D3 and his ur back has to be on the ledge. I'm sure i can land this on someone. If someone is doing a normal getup u can easily get this.
I'm assuming D3 is facing left, with his back on the ledge -and you grab him.

Also, it's still rather situational... normal getup, getup attack?, or a grab while they are recovering are your only options really.

(Some may have grab releases, but not Zelda AFAIK)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I'm assuming D3 is facing left, with his back on the ledge -and you grab him.

Also, it's still rather situational... normal getup, getup attack?, or a grab while they are recovering are your only options really.

(Some may have grab releases, but not Zelda AFAIK)
Zeldas has the opponents back to the ledge. Sonics has ur back to the ledge.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
One potential use I can already think of that makes this some what viable is in teams.

I'm a Diddy main that used/sometimes teams with a Zelda. Banana trips can easily lead to the dash grab needed to get them off the stage. It's how Diddy Kong get's his GR on Wario. Or if you team with a ZSS and she stuns someone(although you can land a LK out of a stun but still... low percents it'd be useful.)

EDIT: I could be crazy but on characters that it doesn't quite spike does it seem like they're still hitting the stage and thusly getting knocked in a diff path? It could just be the low percent testing, I'm not sure...

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Did you try it at Pokemon Stadium 2? It seems like it might work on those edges.

Good find, too bad it only works on a couple characters =(

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
These walls...

I have had times when I have Fsmash'd people and when they try to DI out they simply stage spike themselves. I enjoy these walls...

Neat find btw.

sasook

Smash Champion
Haven't seen the vids (posting from phone johns) but here's the big question : can you tech the wall hit?

If not, this is awesome.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Haven't seen the vids (posting from phone johns) but here's the big question : can you tech the wall hit?

If not, this is awesome.
Any stage spike can be teched, so I'm sure it can be if they see it coming.

Good ****, NL. It's very situational, and like sasook brought up, I'm assuming it can be teched (correct me if I'm wrong).... but any new discoveries are nice to know about.

EDIT: The blue mermaid-y Zelda texture (the one you use while testing Falco in the first vid)...... WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?! I love it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
One potential use I can already think of that makes this some what viable is in teams.

I'm a Diddy main that used/sometimes teams with a Zelda. Banana trips can easily lead to the dash grab needed to get them off the stage. It's how Diddy Kong get's his GR on Wario. Or if you team with a ZSS and she stuns someone(although you can land a LK out of a stun but still... low percents it'd be useful.)

EDIT: I could be crazy but on characters that it doesn't quite spike does it seem like they're still hitting the stage and thusly getting knocked in a diff path? It could just be the low percent testing, I'm not sure...
Yes, this is why i said 'effects'. They dont get spiked but the dthrow sends them in a different angle. Part of the body is hitting the edge. If its a bigger percent of the body touching the edge it causes the spike.

Did you try it at Pokemon Stadium 2? It seems like it might work on those edges.

Good find, too bad it only works on a couple characters =(
Regardless its against characters u will see in tourney a good amount.
I will test PS2 now.
Any stage spike can be teched, so I'm sure it can be if they see it coming.

Good ****, NL. It's very situational, and like sasook brought up, I'm assuming it can be teched (correct me if I'm wrong).... but any new discoveries are nice to know about.

EDIT: The blue mermaid-y Zelda texture (the one you use while testing Falco in the first vid)...... WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?! I love it.
I believe they can tech it but if they dont tech jump it they will be in a bad position. Regardless u will have frame advantage.

The texture u saw was actually this

Yes its (I'm) amazing =)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
For those that do tech, is there frame advantages for a dsmash or dtilt spike? that essentially would put them in a similar position to if they don't.

Also... I was testing this on the left side of the ledge on Lucario, and though the trajectory is different to the right side, he still slams into the stage and gets sent horizontally out. Is there frame advantage here to simply walk off the ledge > lightning kick? Because it just sets up so nicely...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
For those that do tech, is there frame advantages for a dsmash or dtilt spike? that essentially would put them in a similar position to if they don't.

Also... I was testing this on the left side of the ledge on Lucario, and though the trajectory is different to the right side, he still slams into the stage and gets sent horizontally out. Is there frame advantage here to simply walk off the ledge > lightning kick? Because it just sets up so nicely...
I shown this in the video mister lol. It should be in the second one.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@NL: Yes, but where did you get the texture? x.x

As in, I'd like to download it.... unless you made it yourself.... in which case I can offer, uh, 10 bags of sunflower seeds for you to send it to me. =X Non-hamsters like sunflower seeds, amirite?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok NinjaLink I tested some more stages with D3

This works on the right side of the 3rd transformation at Castle Siege, it's not good of a spike though but it still send them down and to the right

The same happens at PS2

And on the bottom right of Spear Pillar, It makes them like pop up a bit and then grab the ledge. But the stage doesnt matter

Oh, and Im surprised this doesnt work with all the heavyweights =\

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Spear Pillar
Awww yeah, that's my new CP.

I kid. I'm gonna try this next time I play Brawl (which could be a while, lol). Even though Zelda's grab sucks, I've been trying to incorporate more of them into my game.

sasook

Smash Champion
I don't mind Zelda's grab speed as much I do its range, Kaylo. I hate when I'm standing next to the guy and still whiff a grab.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I don't mind Zelda's grab speed as much I do its range, Kaylo. I hate when I'm standing next to the guy and still whiff a grab.
I seem to only grab the person when its a dash grab, I never do a regular grab with Zelda cus I always get the spacing wrong.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Zelda has pretty good grab range for a non-tether, especially if you get into the habit of pivot grabbing. Imo, the speed is definitely the problem, although it's nice when people underestimate how slow it is and get caught out of a spotdodge.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I shown this in the video mister lol. It should be in the second one.
Don't make me get Oprah on you ninjalink

Too late
I just wanted an excuse to post that lol

Anyways... have you currently tested every stage?

@kay: about Zelda's dash grab... have you ever foxtrotted into the grab?... it just swoops in nicely with some pretty decent range. I prefer this to simply dash grabbing now.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Maaan, don't post those old pictures! Oprah's got her sexy new hair now:

@kay: about Zelda's dash grab... have you ever foxtrotted into the grab?... it just swoops in nicely with some pretty decent range. I prefer this to simply dash grabbing now.
Yeah, I pretty much alway grab by either: shieldgrabbing, pivot grabbing, or dash-canceling into a dash grab. I don't think many characters benefit by straight running into a grab.

Or straight running into anything, tbh. (hmm)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
LOL OPRAH. Kaylo, u want more gifts from me ;). I'll find u the link for the texture if not i'll send it through aim.

Dash grab is faster by 1 frame.

I forgot about castle siege and the weird ledges on the last part.

If anything guys try different stages and/or characters. As i shown in teh video D3 on yoshis causes an instant grounding as well as on rainbow cruise.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Did you get my post on the last page? I did Castle Siege, Spear Pillar, and PS2, and the worked expect it did something weird on Spear Pillar.

Edit: Oprah looks a little like Queen Latifah now XD

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Ninjalink when you Dthrow any character at the edge, whether they get spiked or not are they still hitting that edge?

I tried a bunch of DI movements with different characters and I could consistently get Dthrow > Lightning Kick on pictochat and yoshis, whether the opponent DId away, up or down. Am I testing this right? Could you look into it for me =D

edit:: ignore this edit what i said isn't consistent

edit2: okay yeah it is actually consistent - basically, you get a guaranteed followup so far on Lucario on the left ledge of yoshi's because Lucario can't DI away from her - if he does he actually gets placed in front of her for an LK setup, so he needs to use other DI methods that don't quite escape Zelda's reach. She can get in a Usmash, Utilt and DA iirc.

edit3: and I think Dthrow > Lightning kick applies to every character on pictochat ledges both left and right.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*

does that mean every pictochat-edge-dthrow can always lead to a lightening kick on every character?
would be awesomeO.O
Actually it doesn't work on every character - it's something to do with body size and weight as ninjalink had stated before - something to do with floatiness in regards to pictochat as well. It does work on some characters. I still hate the stage >.<

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Did you get my post on the last page? I did Castle Siege, Spear Pillar, and PS2, and the worked expect it did something weird on Spear Pillar.

Edit: Oprah looks a little like Queen Latifah now XD
Why would you test on Spear Pillar? It's not even a counterpick.

does that mean every pictochat-edge-dthrow can always lead to a lightening kick on every character?
would be awesomeO.O
Zelda would be high tier. But only on Pictochat. :laugh:

Top Bottom