• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup discussion week 30 - Mario

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The nintendo representive, Mario.

He has some gimps on us, he can juggle us well, and he has a mustache.

How freakin cool is that?

Jon?

Smash Champion
Although he's not nearly as awesome as Luigi, I find the Mario match up not very difficult. I have a friend who plays him casually.

First off, Mario has very good juggles on Falco when Falco is in lower percentages and a wall of b-airs can mess up Falco while offstage. His cape was not nearly as good as Melee. I'm not sure if he can reverse Falco's phantasm.

I find him quite easy to approach since the majority of your attacks out range Mario's arsenal. Abuse chain grab and lasers and you should have this match.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
His cape was not nearly as good as Melee. I'm not sure if he can reverse Falco's phantasm.
No offense, but I find it difficult to take your opinion on the matchup too seriously when your knowledge of it is so skewed. Mario's cape is pretty much identical to the way it worked in Melee, except it reverses momentum now too instead of just turning you around. Therefore, it's better.

And you CAN cape phantasm, especially if you fludd first.

I find him quite easy to approach since the majority of your attacks out range Mario's arsenal. Abuse chain grab and lasers and you should have this match.
I wouldn't abuse lasers since cape can reflect them, but I would definitely abuse the CG. Mario's generally easy to grab because of his short range. He can recover from the spike.

More detail later, but I'd put this matchup slightly in Falco's favor.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
hm. I'd say a 55:45 Falco or possibly 6/4 Falco or possibly 5/5. Both characters can rack up damage quickly on each other.. but Falco just does it with alot more ease compared to Mario sadly..

it's more of a sad campfest. l hate it lol. more later

oh and falco's lazer's stage control is soooo dumb loool

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I've played some good Marios. You can't really chaingrab Mario cause I failed to get past 2-3 grabs.

Yeah, if Falco didn't have good defensive game then Mario would have this match-up. 55-45

Jon?

Smash Champion
I say Mario's cape isn't as good as melee's because recoveries in Brawl auto sweetspot the edge. Caping in melee was as easy gimp in some cases.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I say Mario's cape isn't as good as melee's because recoveries in Brawl auto sweetspot the edge. Caping in melee was as easy gimp in some cases.
If you sweetspot the ledge in Melee, you still protect yourself from being caped the same way, except it's not ******** easy to sweetspot. At pro level, it's the same result.

My point about cape being BETTER is that cape reverses momentum this time around, meaning that if you're moving quickly in my direction and you're caped, you move at twice the speed, twice the distance in the opposite direction.

swordsaint

Smash Master
60/40 Falco.
Superior camp game for one.
Chain grabs.
Better spacing.
Better recovery.

Imo, Falco can easily get off stage and get a Bair in to Mario if the Falco can avoid fireballs and any aerials. Obviously won't kill the Mario but it makes for an easy edgehog. Similar thing with Mario only Mario has a helluva lot more options.

A well spaced Falco however will be difficult to kill. Whereas Mario will be easier to kill.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
60/40 Falco.
Superior camp game for one.
Chain grabs.
Better spacing.
Better recovery.
Superior ledgegame
Utilt chains
Better weight
And I personally think Mario has the better recovery. If Falco's anywhere below stage-level without his jump, he's in trouble. Even then, characters that have attacks like Mario's Nair can safely intercept his sideB for an easy gimp.

Imo, Falco can easily get off stage and get a Bair in to Mario if the Falco can avoid fireballs and any aerials. Obviously won't kill the Mario but it makes for an easy edgehog. Similar thing with Mario only Mario has a helluva lot more options.
I agree, Falco's bair is not only dangerous to Mario offstage, but also while he's on the ledge. It really limits his options for getting back onstage from that position if the Falco spaces correctly.

Fludd + Cape is a pretty incredible edgeguard against Falco in particular though.

A well spaced Falco however will be difficult to kill. Whereas Mario will be easier to kill.
Mario will be living longer though, due to weight and DI and everything, despite both their recoveries being craptastic.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Personally I say this.

Falco's lasers are NO different in this match up.

Remember that Falco's shl's have no lag on them, meaning who gives a crap if mario reflects them, we have another reflector to send them back AGAIN.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Personally I say this.

Remember that Falco's shl's have no lag on them, meaning who gives a crap if mario reflects them, we have another reflector to send them back AGAIN.
Then Mario will just use the cape AGAIN or FLUDD to stop lasers. I agree that Mario's cape is almost the same as in melee but the only difference is now when someone uses their shield against Mario, He cant turn them while they are in their shield like he could in melee. Oh and in my opinion, brawl cape pushes you further then melees cape did

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Personally I say this.

They are different in the regard that you can get hit by them when we reflect at close range or while offstage. That prevents you from following up behind them just like when Mario tries to follow up after his fireballs and they're reflected.

It by no means stops your laser games or even hinders it all that much, but you're sure as hell not gonna be camping a Mario with lasers like you'd do a Luigi or DK.

Edit @ condemned: Fludd stops lasers?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Then Mario will just use the cape AGAIN or FLUDD to stop lasers. I agree that Mario's cape is almost the same as in melee but the only difference is now when someone uses their shield against Mario, He cant turn them while they are in their shield like he could in melee. Oh and in my opinion, brawl cape pushes you further then melees cape did
No offense, but NO ONE CARES ABOUT MELEE. We're talking about facts, not your opinion from brawl to melee or w/e. Cape, brawl and melee are all different, but obviously one of it's main functions it's gimping.

FLUDD does not stop lasers.
Yep lol water got nuttin dem lazers. I mean simple things like walk to PS aren't that hard to do at all. But just keeping it at human border line just sayin.

Pretty much Matador is trying to say that, you can't fully use your camping game like you'd to do those who get wrecked by it like Ganon or stuffs. You can use it, but not fully. It's still part of a tool in the MU. Mario has the tools to deal with "most" of Falco's laser camping. Though Falco's can always evade hit/run with his little phantasm lol. BUT THERES A WAY AROUND THAT (sorta and sorta not really lolzz, there's a vid of NL reverse fludding a spammy phantasm and got him gimped XDD too lazy to find the vid tho)

It's a pretty heavy when it comes to close combat as both characters excel highly in it. Falco and Mario work similar fashion excluding Falco's CG btw. Both chars have jab1 for pokes/combos and other such things since it comes out frame 1-2. Falco will be throwing out his Ftilt for spacing purposes. Mario's works the same too and has iasa frames tho l do think its outranged by Falcos not sure. Mario's Fsmash should cover majority of Falco's moveset, l think falco has same physics with his fsmash like mario's stutterstepped idfr.

:sniper:

M@v

Subarashii!
dont....get.....caped. He can reflect some lasers with the cape, but not many. Outcamp him, theres not much he can do about it. He has 3 edgeguard options:

Fludd: The crappiest one. But if your not careful it can set up you up for a spike or a ledgehog.

Fair/Bair: He can try to keep bairing you away, or go for broke with his spike, which isnt very good imo. Its too slow.

Cape: The main one he will try. try to mix up your recovery as much as possible; otherwise mario will sending you back the way you came, and to your death. Don't let mario get close, since thats the only time he has a shot to put damage on you. You dominate him mid and long range.

To sum it up, don't let him get close, and be careful when coming back to the stage.

As long as you camp effectively, and dont recover stupid, this is probably 6:4 Falco.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If you're recovering low and starting a firebird and you see him coming for you, press the opposite direction. If you get hit you'll get more space and if you get caped you'll sweetspot the ledge.

woot

Also watch out for people who cape while you're in the firebird, cause then you're ****ed

clowsui

Smash Legend
i played this matchup vs tc1 on laggy tv at cgc x @ sfsu in a 1$ mm

this is REALLY freaking hard

though it might be because i was on LC

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No offense, but NO ONE CARES ABOUT MELEE. We're talking about facts, not your opinion from brawl to melee or w/e. Cape, brawl and melee are all different, but obviously one of it's main functions it's gimping.
True ****. Who brought it up anyways...

Though Falco's can always evade hit/run with his little phantasm lol. BUT THERES A WAY AROUND THAT (sorta and sorta not really lolzz, there's a vid of NL reverse fludding a spammy phantasm and got him gimped XDD too lazy to find the vid tho)
That vid was so amazing, I'm gonna go ahead and dig it up for you, lol.

dont....get.....caped. He can reflect some lasers with the cape, but not many. Outcamp him, theres not much he can do about it.
If the match dissolves into one of the many campfests that Brawl breeds, be wary that Mario's ledgegame is fierce. I really don't see Falco being able to effectively challenge it either if Mario gets the lead.

Fludd: The crappiest one. But if your not careful it can set up you up for a spike or a ledgehog.
Fludd is actually the most threatening imo. A fully charged Fludd can prevent you from getting an otherwise guaranteed sweetspot on the ledge with phantasm. It also leads directly into a cape gimp if you're close enough offstage. If your aim is ONSTAGE and we fludd you, you'll undoubtedly make your mark, but you'll freefall much longer than usual; long enough for the Mario to run in and do an attack of his choice, save Fsmash or Fair.

Fair/Bair: He can try to keep bairing you away, or go for broke with his spike, which isnt very good imo. Its too slow.
You forgot Nair, which is the deadliest of Mario's aerials to Falco offstage. It beats both phantasm and your upb for the entire duration. Mario needs only to throw it out leveled with the stage while you're recovering and he's erected a formidable brickwall-like edgeguard.

To sum it up, don't let him get close, and be careful when coming back to the stage.

As long as you camp effectively, and dont recover stupid, this is probably 6:4 Falco.
Doubtful for 60:40 but probably Falco's advantage wherever the coin lands, mainly because Falco's extremely annoying onstage, especially with a new stock.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
If you're recovering low and starting a firebird and you see him coming for you, press the opposite direction. If you get hit you'll get more space and if you get caped you'll sweetspot the ledge.

woot

Also watch out for people who cape while you're in the firebird, cause then you're ****ed
lol. is that srs bsns? Can't tell if it's for real or not, but it did made me lol irl. Most of the time where Falco is forced to upb, a simple speededgehog usually does the trick.

lol it's funny because NL was telling me how Boss was complaining how to fight laser spammy phantasm Falcos and NL so happens to find that way around XDDDD.

l think we use Nair alot more then like bair/fair, it's alot safer imo.

l wanna find the vid but like laggy comp son.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
lol. is that srs bsns? Can't tell if it's for real or not, but it did made me lol irl. Most of the time where Falco is forced to upb, a simple speededgehog usually does the trick.

lol it's funny because NL was telling me how Boss was complaining how to fight laser spammy phantasm Falcos and NL so happens to find that way around XDDDD.

l think we use Nair alot more then like bair/fair, it's alot safer imo.

l wanna find the vid but like laggy comp son.
Yeah it was mocking all the cape overestimation against falco :laugh:

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
i understand hippie exactly what you mean. you may be all about brawl which is cool. but i saw someone say something about their comparison and i just added on. Dont kill the messenger lol. Yes your right facts are facts so on to brawl

and what i meant was about fludd is it helps in certain situations not to negate lasers

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
LOL soul, after re-reading the first page, l meant to quote Jont instead my bad dude LOL xDDDDDDDDDDDDDD excuse my nubiness though xDDD. But yeah sorry for that, as a Mario, it get VERY ANNOYING to have that melee **** in brawl, (l like melee morebtw) when it's a MU in brawl. But enough of that.

Matador link me that vid son LOL, i dont even remember fighting NL, cus theres never tags in his videos =/. And his reverse fludd is just so good lol. So legitttttt

Our bane will be on the edgeguarding. If we get caught there than Mario will have a field day on us racking up damage and getting KOs. But other than that Falco has the advantage on stage.

Lasers easily out pace mario even with the Cape. SHL/SHDL to reflector beats out pretty much all other reflection attempts. Therefore Cape used to reflect right back at us isn't that much of a problem. Heck, it might even be helpful because then we can do some baiting with it.

Mario is a close range fighter, and therefore a bit easier to get a CG on. I see tons of damage being racked up from this and the ending tech chase, etc. Mario's options at far distance are negligable. He can pretty much just reflect us with a cape. Just do lasering at this point. Reflector if you wish to beat out the cape.

Mid range he as a few more option as any might prove to be approaches. One is a SH fireball to an attack, SH Dair, SH Bair, and SH Bair to name a few of the aerial methods. Ground methods are pretty much Dash attack and that's about it. Of those approaches, the dash attack is surprising, but a dud on block. Just punish that. SH fireball can be a pain, as shielding might lead to you getting grabbed, or getting hit by it means Mario has a free hit on you. If you reflect, mario gets hit. But at that close range normally means little knockback and you could get punished in the cooldown. Nair is pretty easy to avoid so long as you aren't jumping into it. A spaced SH Bair I believe is the hardest to deal with. It as virtually no landing lag, and on block, it normally slides Falco back far enough he cannot hit Mario with something. Reminds me a lot of Wolf's Bair. SH Dair is probably used sparingly as it requires him to SH Dair over you in order for it to really work at all.

At close range Mario has access to a ton of stuff. Most of which can lead into a chain of attacks and thus you getting juggled and maybe even edgeguarded. The best bet is to keep Mario on a lengthy leash. Mario's Fsmash pulls his hurtbox backwards before attacking. So be careful of that.

During edgeguarding, Mario will try to recover to the edge, I believe, by going under the stage a bit. This is because all he really has to get back safely is his Cape to either stall or reflect attacks, and he has a good priority UpB. So because of this rather limited recovery, edgeguarding should be fairly good opprotunity to rack up damage. But gimping I would say is rather difficult becuase you have to time your attacks between Cape usage and beat out the UpB.

Falco being edgeguarded is a pain. If you time it wrong with a phantasm or get a tad to predictable you'll face a fludd shot (that is if you give them any time to charge it) and that will be an instant KO. The same is with the Cape, but timing it is more diffcult, though not any less deadly. If your recover with UpB, you might either get spiked with a Fair, or Stage spiked with a Bair :) Enjoy.

I want to say either 55_45 or 60_40 Falco. I cannot really decide as it seems somewhere in between, but I'm leaning towards 60-40.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No worse than 6/4 Falco and stuff...by all means Mario can give Falco a run for his money. Er bread.

So anyhow, the main thing about this matchup is it's all momentum. Whoever gets the first kill usually wins this matchup since it's so difficult for both characters to score a KO when they are on the offensive, although this lead is better maintained by Falco than it is by Mario since Falco has superior damage racking capabilities with laser camping and D-throw cg and combos.

Falco can't break out of the U-tilt like other spacies, so he takes close to liek 30 damage from it if the Mario does it right if I recall.

Mario's F-smash > Falco's in KO power and speed. Keep in mind the gigantic range of the stutter step too, which outranges everything not named the Reflector.

Falco can't really do a thing to ppl on the edge, and this includes Mario.

Mario can duck under lasers or Cape them, so it's not particularly hard for him to avoid taking excessive damage from Falco's laser camping.

N-air edgeguards Falco really well.

Mario has the advantage on Yoshis due to the depression interfering significantly with Falco's laser camping, and the stage layout interfering with Falco's recovery.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
With everything considered, this matchup doesn't even seem nearly as bad as 60:40.

Falco can camp...sorta...but so can Mario if it really comes to that.

Falco can CG, but we can Utilt chain -> whatever with correct prediction.

Mario edgeguards Falco pretty handily if Fludd is charged.

Mario lives longer than Falco and kills earlier (weight and KO power). Not a huge difference, but enough to be notable.

The only reason Falco even really has an advantage here is because of how ******** he is onstage, but even then cape beats everything Falco can do at close/midrange besides his reflector during the attack. I can't see 60:40. It might as well be even.

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
Cape doesn't shut down Falco.
Jab, Ftilt, Nair and Bair are all meaty enough to beat out the cape. Even if Mario can UpB oos, Jab still get's the job done.

Cape reflects and gimps. But, it doesn't reflect ENOUGH and it doesn't gimp consistently.
Baiting FLUDD and cape is really not that hard. Moreover, we have other recovery options.

I.E. Short Phantasm and Firebird.
And before you say Firebird is easy to gimp, using it when Mario is a considerable distance away from the ledge after baiting the cape leads to success.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario only has the advantage on Yoshis as far as I'm concerned, but this matchup is never any worse than 6/4 Falco....except on Japes which is a ****ing ******** stage.

Cape is nice and all, but what I like more in this matchup are N-air, U-tilt, and F-smash. Not to mention ducking.

As I was saying though, whoever gets the first kill should win this matchup.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Cape doesn't shut down Falco.
Jab, Ftilt, Nair and Bair are all meaty enough to beat out the cape. Even if Mario can UpB oos, Jab still get's the job done.
Cape is very slow. Therefore, it never shuts down anyone. It's more of a spacing tool than anything, but it DOES beat every non-disjointed attack since it turns around every non-disjointed attack. My point in bringing that up is that Falco doesn't dominate Mario priority-wise when he has 3 attacks (Usmash, Cape and Fsmash) that have priority to combat yours.

Cape reflects and gimps. But, it doesn't reflect ENOUGH and it doesn't gimp consistently.
Baiting FLUDD and cape is really not that hard. Moreover, we have other recovery options.
If Mario doesn't gimp Falco, this matchup is undoubtedly Falco's. However, Falco is one of the easiest characters for Mario to gimp. I mean, in that match I linked, every KO Ninjalink nabbed was gimp related. You're almost always in a bad position if you're fludded offstage and almost always KO'd if caped offstage.

And how do you expect to bait Fludd? The best thing you can do to get around the water droplets while offstage is reflector, which forces you to use firebird if you're below the stage. Or, of course, you could phantasm above the stage onto a platform if we're on BF or something.

I.E. Short Phantasm and Firebird.
And before you say Firebird is easy to gimp, using it when Mario is a considerable distance away from the ledge after baiting the cape leads to success.
Fludd...would wreck short phantasm and firebird WORSE than normal phantasm...how would that help? If the Mario's going out to cape you in the event that his Fludd isn't charged, then it's much easier to trump his gimp options and land safely onstage. If Fludd's charged though...you're in trouble.

And to clear things up, this is a character specific kind of thing. I'm not trying to superhype Mario's edgeguarding options. Truth be told, I feel like Falco gets away with his recover more often vs most of the cast because they can't safely deal with it. Mario, however, can from the stage, where he doesn't need to risk being spiked by phantasm, which makes him one of the best at dealing with Falco offstage.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Mario ***** his recovery. FLUDD stops phantasm and finish it with a cape. Fireballs also help out in this battle offstage. Overall, Falco is not hard to gimp at all with Mario. Also, Mario's camping is pretty good, but not as good as Falco's of course. Your camping doesn't **** us. CG isn't too big a deal because we can get out after a couple and if you attempt to spike, (which you will) We can either jump meteor cancel or DI towards the stage during your spike and tech the wall. It can rack some damage at low percents though.

I know if you are close enough you can cape phantasm before he does the action, but can you do it while he's moving? I remember doing that on a Fox once, but I'm not sure if you can use it on Falco. Both characters can rack damage pretty well, and one character doesn't have much more killpower than the other. Also, Falco is pretty lightweight. Can get a nice kill with Fsmash here.

I think its 100:0 Mario.

I have bad expierinces against him...>_>
Mario is Bleachigo's kryptonite
Lol. I don't even know what Mario's you would play except for maybe Pierce. I want to agree with you on this MU, but I'm gonna say 50:50. Maybe its 55:45 Falco, but I am sure it is not 60:40 Falco.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't like the matchup, but don't usually lose them.

Fireballs are harder to avoid since they have downward momentum in the air, so reflector isn't a sure fire way to avoid them. A good camping mario can camp almost as well as falco, so camping isn't as effective.

IAP is riskier on smaller stages like battlefield because of the cape. So falco's camping game is even more limited.

Mario has decent kill moves that are generally safe. All that with juggling at lower percent makes the matchup fairly close.

Although mario has many faults, such as recovery, he can definitely contend with falco.
Falco still has the matchup though, especially on bigger stages.

55:45/60:40 falco.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
im willing to take 55:45. in my opinion mario doesn't really have any big advantage/disadvantage. Mario is all around character

Top Bottom