• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Pit Matchup Thread (name Pending)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Intro

Well, fellow angels, I believe it's time we reform and start a new matchup discussin thread. We have been slacking for quite a while, and we need to be productive. Now, I believe it was time we made a new and improved, better-formatted Matchup thread/guide for Pit. Our old one, being unorganized, outdated, and still incomplete, it's now time for chance and our time to rise. However, we can't do so without contributions and support from you, and the others who main the other characters. Each of us Pits have different experiences with different characters, and different strong-points and weaknesses. Help your fellow angels if possible.

The format of this will be very identical to that of the Pikachu boards. The link to the character discussions will be placed here, where individual characters will be taking place.

I will slowly update and upgrade this overtime. So try to stay on the same page with me.
Also, my ideal involves having a representative provide us his/her opinion on the matchup.

I have Started with Olimar atm, since he does tend to give Pit quite the problems.

Olimar

Donkey Kong
55/45 Pit

Toon Link

Pikachu

Diddy Kong

Bowser

Marth

EDIT: This may now be old and outdated. Sorry if I couldn't keep this stuff up...

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I was wondering about the whole match up thing. It didn't seem all that complete when i came around just to check out some of the match ups. The few i was actually interested in weren't there or at least not easy to dig up. So this is probably a good idea. I just hope u dont spend weeks on each character, or it will never finish. Also since there were match up threads before, some characters should probably just be recaps of previous discussions, possibly with some updates.

Do you have any order in mind? Or do u just plan to go with whoever you feel like? I suggest just going over the most common characters that are used first, since that's who people have most experience against , to help this thread hit the ground running. This of course meaning higher tier characters going down to bottom tier. But, also listening to the community on who they want to discuss if that sort of thing comes up.

Also i have a experience Playing Pit since he has always been my main, and i'll see if i can add to these discussions for as long as i hang around here.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
lol. It's right in his sig. I doubt he would spell it wrong in his sig.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'd be willing to help with the new thread, providing it doesnt die *cough*. So when the character is one I've played offline I'll throw in my two cents.
Sadly I've never played an olimar offline. :/

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I will be adding more characters in due time, so keep an eye out for updates.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
things should be more colorful, but not too colorful.
nobody likes walls of single-colored text :3

and add more pictures, it needs to look pretty :<

i have a name suggestionn:
Minions of The Underworld - A Pit Matchup Thread

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Bump for TL now being posted up. Sorry for doing this late.

EDIT: Pika and Diddy are added too.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
So have we decided a name?
I think mine's the best ;3
lol.

and i still think it needs to look pretty.
its all white..and plain.. we ned to show ppl that pit is fosho serious bout MU's,yo.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I'd like to discuss counterpicks with the various characters, something that seems to have been left out of most of the threads' discussions, with the exception of DKs (which was mostly disagreement over Japes. [[Personally, I'll take anyone but Falco to Japes and feel good about it.]])

However, most counterpick discussion I've seen is simply throwing out good or bad stages without really explaining why (Ex: On Japes, the right platform belongs to me, and the rest of the stage belongs to PEW PEW PEW.)

Some are obvious (Pit + FD = Distance to spam, Olimar + Any stage with water = lol dead, Pit + Japes = an incredibly frustrated opponent.), but for others I'm not entirely sure why any particular stage is good or bad for any character, or what I'm supposed to do to make the stage work in my favor.

I think that all of our matchup discussions can benefit from this.

Also, I like Japes.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
We will need some players that Know about it, and I'll list em once we get that stage info afterwards, if I don't forget.
Bowser will be coming up soon, I hope.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I don't mind Oli on Japes, just because while we can both camp the everloving crap out of that stage, if I fall in the water, I get back up. If HE falls in the water, if kills half his pikmin.

Depending on the oli, you can also use the center platform to shield you from some pikmin spam and spam back.

Afropony

Smash Lord
We should discuss Marth next IMO, he causes Pit quite a bit of trouble and because he's high tier it's likely you'll come up against one in a tournament.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I suppose so, but finding Marth info is somewhat hard compared to other characters for me, but this matchup is indeed important, especially to Pit.
I would recommend trying to find a good non-biased Marth that really won't say 65:35 their advantage. I still see the matchup as 60:40 Marth, not no 65:35, especially when I remember that when the Marth boards were discussing us last year, they were completely biased.

Also, we need a Pit with tons of Marth experience to give his input on it.

I do apologize for not much matchups due to being busy most times and such, but it is hard. I would, however, now introduce u to the Bowser matchup, which has been verified and viewed by Vex himself. Besides, I main both Pit and Bowser anyways.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Pierc7d or however you say it mains Marth and apparently his brother plays Pit. Maybe we could get information from him, I'm sure he would be willing to help.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Any help would be appreciated, though most ppl would look for a high-ranking player for discussions, but we'll see how it turns out. And Bowser has been added.

I apologize for the lack of stuff lately, but working hard and not only have I found only a few character representatives, but some are taking time providing me info, most likely because of school or something else keeping them busy.
But anyways, onto a matchup where I actually use both characters. Boozer time!

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
We should discuss Marth next IMO, he causes Pit quite a bit of trouble and because he's high tier it's likely you'll come up against one in a tournament.
^ YESZZ!

I would, however, now introduce u to the Bowser matchup, which has been verified and viewed by Vex himself. Besides, I main both Pit and Bowser anyways.
wtf? no :<

Afropony

Smash Lord
I kinda fourth this, some of the matchups we have discussed like 3 times because we follow the list and then when we get to the mid tiers the discussion falls apart so we start a new matchup thread from the top of the tier list.

I just really want to do Marth because I'm going to a tournament soon with a Marth that is apparently very good.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
kool, a Georgia pit who faces reflex. I can input a bit on a kismet falco.
Falco can chaingrab us to 45 with chaingrab alone.
A DACUS from falco can easily rack it to 65+.
I'm not sure at what damage it is, maybe around 40 - 50%, dair spike lays you on the floor for a jab grab.
It also leads into an easy tech chase, I'd stay maybe stand and spot dodge or WOI.
His jumps are high enough to look like 2nd jumps. Meaning be careful of his quick follow ups.
Reflect lazors at a range to prevent baited reflect shield.
Falco camp game with side b is quite annoying, try punish it with a full hopped dair. or side b.
After past the 80+ rush game, expect till forced towards the edge predict a spike, don't u-air. If falco stayed close to edge, expect a charged F Smash, which kill ridiculously. Avoid by NOT ROLLING, STANDING UP, OR JUMPING. Why, hitbox is ridiculously wide. Just jump back and arrow.

When using arrows aim higher or lower towards him to avoid his reflect.
We have equivalent ranges...

As of marths, stay ranged and fake an approach and then punish accordingly i guess lol.

thats all i can say for now.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hi there, Pit boarders

Diddies just strated discussing the Pit vs Diddy MU, and input with another point of view is always a great help to progress ; you know, stuff like where you want to CP us, where you don't want us to CP you to, moves that we are weak against, stuff that you don't see us profit a lot... all help in tournaments.
Anyway, you know what's your job, I'm not gonna say random stuff anymore, just click right here :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252618

Have fun !

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Marth is 55:45 Marth. the matchup is very doable as long as you stay smart. PS is a crutial key in this matchup. The 2 main ways a Marth will approach are Dancing Blades or a Fair. if you PS a Fair you can retaliate because you don't slide. against the dancing blades, as long as you have almost all your shield left, if you PS the first hit, you can shield the rest of the combo. If you do get remember to pay attention to which DB combo he does for DI purposes.
Unlike most Chars. we cannot Jab Cancel against Marth due to the Dolphin Dash, but with that you can force some moves by playing against the Marths prediction ability. some mindgames combos, and things to avoid to keep in mind :
Jab into shield - this can make marth player DD trying to predict you.
Fthrow into stutter Fsmash
other then trying to force a DD, DO NOT JAB CANCEL!
be sure to use your arrows like a homo when hes off stage for an edge hog gimp.

Other then whats above just remain smart. Marth is pretty easy to predict. the only thing that makes this matchup kind of difficult is his range and speed compared to marth, so just make that Marth play your game. don't play his.

Top Bottom