• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project SA Q&A

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd like to post this at GSCentral where I'm most established, GSC is more based around posting and discussing the codes in particular. Anyways, because I currently can't do any hacking at the moment, I've decided to spend the time open to questions.

First of all, this is not a project thread(JackHarvest had 37 posts and a banner up within the first half hour of me release of this - so I don't think I need to start another one :laugh:) this is simply a thread for questions concerning the development and use of Project SA. I will update this post with the questions asked along with their answers if possible.

So go ahead, fire away!

Q: What does the "SA" in Project SA stand for.
A: SA is for Smash Attacks, which is the current name of the utility. I am unsure weather this will be it's permanent name or not, but I'm open to suggestions.

Q: What features does Project SA currently support?
A: Project SA is currently able to modify the script on all characters and their attacks. It is also able to modify the animations that get used for each action as well as various attributes for the character.

Q: What features still need to be added to Project SA?
A: Currently you cannot modify the script for prop items and you can't change the number of actions a character is capable of. You also can't change things such as weather they have a tether recovery or are able to crawl.

Q: Will it be user friendly?
A: Your mileage will vary on this, but in my opinion, it is pretty easy to use.

Q: When will it be released?
A: Currently I don't have a set release date. Before releasing it I wish to clean up some of the syntax descriptions to make it more usable. But I hope to have a beta released soon.

Q: Will this be released for Mac?
A: Anyone know a good source code converter?

Q: What was with all the Plan Zero stuff?
A: I was bored :chuckle:

Q: Just what do the attributes do?
A: The attributes are various characteristics that are unique to each character. These attributes are always applied to the character and can be weight, move speed, jump height, or how easily the character is able to maneuver in air. Each one is fully customizable.

Q: Can we give X-character Y-character's move(s)?
A: If you just want the collision bubbles/damage then yes it is possible. The animation, (and some graphical effects) however, can't be grabbed unless you modified the character's motion file.

Q: Can you use any animation, like even taunts or jumps, that a character has to create an attack?
A: Yes, as long as the character has that animation.

Q: Are the changes made unique to the texture you apply it to, or are they applied to all colors.
A: They are applied to all versions of the character.

Q: Would it be possible to use this in conjunction with the Ganondorf Sword code to add more attacks to it?
A: With it's current functionality, it is likely possible to replicate the same effect without the code and more.

Q: Will this work with model hacks?
A: I suspect that Project SA will not reach it's full potential until model/animation hacks are possible - so yes.

Q: Can this be used to recreate the Forbidden Seven?
A: Given enough time, anything should be possible.

Q: Can you do stuff with Final Smashes? Like make a B move a FS?
A: Ordinarily, I'd say no because the FS file isn't loaded, but because I haven't looked too much into the scripting of any FS's it's possible that there is a piece of script that specifically calls the file to be loaded.

Q: If you tried to call a graphic or effect that wasn't currently loaded, would it crash?
A: It depends on what you call. Graphics are fine and just wont appear if their file isn't loaded - prop items (i.e. a tether for a tether recovery) would freeze because it actually changes the flow of events for the character.

Q: Could this be used to extend tethers?
A: Because tethers are based around prop items (which Project SA currently can't modify) currently, no. In the future, yes.

Q: Can you change the flight path or patterns of projectiles?
A: Currently Project SA is incapable of modifying prop items (which is what projectiles are)

Q: Can you go beyond simple collision bubbles and graphics? i.e. Trigger bubbles like C. Falcon's Side B or add invincibility frames during attacks?
A: Currently from what I can decipher of the script, it is possible for things like moves that you can only use in air, counter attacks, charge up B moves, input moves, and the like but my current knowledge only allows me to do simple things like invincibility frames and standard collision bubbles.

Q: Can you transition between to animations?
A: There's this handy thing called motion flow which you can use to make things flow together (hence PMario's Side B flowing each kick together instead of being all jumpy)

Q: Can you call an elemental graphic effect that a character doesn't normally use?
A: All characters share a global library of graphic effects (i.e. slash effects and basic flame effects) these are usable, but the more advanced ones can only be used if their respective effect file is loaded.

Q: Could we have four taunts? i.e Giving Ike's right taunt on the D-Pad his Victory Pose for I Fight for my Friends or when I do that change does it also affect the left taunt on the D-Pad? (Talking about the GCN controller's D-Pad).
A: There are actually a total of six taunt spaces - each of the three taunts one for facing left and right - so you could modify those if you wanted.

Q: Can we add SFX to moves from the Sound Test, like ones that aren't ever used in-game?
A: I haven't tried the SFX script out too much, but it seems that you can call a good number of sound effects.

Q: Can ground to air momentum speed be changed? Like in Melee if you were Falcon you dashed and jumped into the air you would fly across the screen.
A: I've seen this done in a couple of the script parts, but I currently don't understand enough of it to be able to use it properly.

Q: Can you attach healing or other special effects to a normal move
A: I imagine it is possible with the variable commands, but once again, I don't know enough to be sure.

Q: Can you modify the speed of time in the game with this?
A: There is a slowdown time command that I found, so yes.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of animations that can be linked together for a single move?
A: Animations are linked to Sub Actions. For example, PMario's Side B is the action 113 - that in turn calls the Sub Action 1D5, which calls 1D6, which calls 1D7. Each of those have an animations for each kick (I imagine there is a much more efficient method for this, but I just haven't found it yet.) So to answer the question, you can only chain together as many attacks as there are available Sub Actions.

Q: Will this allow you to create new effects?
A: you are limited to whats in the files, but by chaining together multiple effects(PMario`s Down B) you can create entirely new effects (something I learned from my 16-bit hacking days)

Q: Can you edit a character's weight but not affect their fall speed?
A: Yes, in the attributes, there is weight, and then there is gravity.

Q: Is there a way to edit how far a character can reach the ledge?
A: It wasn't in the attributes, but by blanking out another section of the .pac file caused Mario to be unable to grab an edge unless he was directly pushing against it. So it may be possible once I am able to decipher more of the file.

Q: Can we add/remove freefall animations to moves?
A: Yes, I imagine so.

Q: Can we edit Nana's AI?
A: I am genuinely not sure...

Q: Can you edit the jump height for the first jump but not the other - or vice versa?
A: In the attributes section, there is jump height and then there is the second jump multiplier - which will allow you to modify the second jump in proportion to the first.

Q: Can you change the victory poses? If so, how may victory poses can you have?
A: Victory poses are customizable. But each character is restricted to three victory poses.

Q: Can you change wall jumps?
A: You can change the distance and speed in the attributes section, but I am unsure how you specify weather a character can do one or not.

Q: Can you have an attack generate an item? (i.e. Link's Down B)
A: Yes - I have found a few scripts that achieve that effect.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Was there an air mobility variable in the initial screenshots? Or did that only apply to attacks, not characters? Jiggly would really like better air control.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
I noticed all of Phoenix Mario's new attack motions are hijacked from normal attacks.
Do you have to do it that way or did you just do it for the sake of making an example?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Can u give jigglypuff's rollout the metroid spin jump effect?

Can you make her jab so it's jab, 2nd jab, and then the kick from side tilt? That would be cool.

That's all I can think of right now, but yeah :D

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Can you use any animation, like even taunts or jumps, that a character has to create an attack? Or can you only use animations from existing attacks?

And since people were wondering, can you use attack animations on other characters, like giving Link a punch from Captain Falcon's moveset or something?

MaxThunder

PM Support
would it be possible to make yoshis dash animation his dair animation? cause that would be perfect for what i have in mind for my warui(its the freakishly fail pink yoshi i'm gonna make... i cal it warui cause yoshi is a word for good... and warui is a word for bad...)

havac

Smash Cadet
Hey PW's
Could this be used to modify around Marth's attacks but apply them to another character?
EX: Give Luigi sword attacks roughly based on Marth and not effect Marth's move set?

If when and God I hope so, What is your best estimate of release?

B3Brawler

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for your once again amazing work. Questions:

1) Is phoenix mario specific to that .pac costume or do the changes apply to all of the mario costumes, If so would it be possible to map mewto, roy, ect to a different costume as well?
2) Would it be possible to use the ganondorf always holds sword code in conjunction with beam sword animations to create a sword wielding ganondorf?
3) Is this compatible at all with model hacks?
4) Will you marry me?

NO@H

Smash Journeyman
Do you know how many questions have been asked so far :) and will the 7 forbidden characters be completed?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Do you know how many questions have been asked so far :) and will the 7 forbidden characters be completed?
*sigh*

The forbidden 7 are just empty folders. Their is nothing to complete. You'd have to make them from scratch.

How many times must that be said...

On-topic: Can you do stuff with Final Smashes? Like make a B move a FS?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Based off of your Phoenix Mario it's easy to tell that you can add hitboxes. This allows you to add unique moves such as Phoenix Mario's down B.

My question is, can you also give these moves additional properties like super armor or invincibility frames? In addition, can you make a "counter" so to speak, by making a move freeze on a certain frame and only continue if the character is hit ("triggering" the counter)?

And can you change a move's animation entirely halfway through the move? Like having Marth's d-smash stop on the first hit, and then continue into say, his uptilt animation instead of doing the second swing of d-smash?

And finally (to go along with the counter), can you make this animation switch conditional. I want to add the "counter" ability to Marth's side taunt (freezing it with his sword sheathed) , with the "trigger swing" being his f-tilt (but mearly continuing the side taunt after a certain amount of time if it wasn't triggered). Is it possible to do something like that?

JM94

Smash Cadet
Ha ha, glad to see PW took my Q&A idea. :p

Anyway, my question is how close is the program to being released to the public?

And what does SA in Project SA mean/stand for? :S

shadowofchaos725

Smash Apprentice
On-topic: Can you do stuff with Final Smashes? Like make a B move a FS?
Building off that, assuming that can be done...

I'm assuming that those ones that "need" their effects to successfully execute (lest the bleeding of ears occur with the freezing sound) WILL freeze with this method as well?

MaxThunder

PM Support
does Project SA stand for project Super...Animationsthatdowhateveryouwantthemtoto?...or something along those lines?

Edit: upon reading through my post i se my stoop1dness

havac

Smash Cadet
1:Could this be used to extend tethers?

2: Can you change the flight path or patterns of projectiles?

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
are any questions going to be answered?

can you change any characters special to another characters? for example, replace mario's neutral spec with kirby's?

MaxThunder

PM Support
aha... but project smash attack sounds a little misleading... well... you can use it to make smash atacks really cool but...

anyway... is it posible to swithc gannons uair and f-smash animations? i mean... just pu his uair as his f-smash... f-smash as his uair would look... kinda cool but.. uh.../adding lines...

everything inside lines dont count...

@Power: heheheh wii=)

B3Brawler

Smash Apprentice
Mkay, considering that you can't load a moveset from a costume would it be possible to create an entirely new icon on the character selection screen? (not really related to project SA but still important for it to really be integrated seriously into the game)

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Why can't you do any hacking at the moment? :-P

But seriously now...could you give a character elemental attributes (fire, ice, electric, etc.) in their attacks even though they don't normally have it? (i.e. all Mario's attacks are ice instead of fire?)

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Q: Can this be used to recreate the Forbidden Seven?
A: Given enough time, anything should be possible.

brb mewroy

MaxThunder

PM Support
Mkay, considering that you can't load a moveset from a costume would it be possible to create an entirely new icon on the character selection screen? (not really related to project SA but still important for it to really be integrated seriously into the game)

isnt that what the clone engine tthingy their working on is supposed to do?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Could you give Jiggz's down taunt (the one where she deflates) a wind effect? Or are wind effects only possible for characters that already have them (i.e ness and sheik)

And 'SHOW ME YA MOVES' as an attack.... OH GOD YES

smashmaniac2008

Smash Journeyman
1. Can you set Marth's Sword on Fire for his neutral B
2. Can you give Ness PK Teleport?
3. Can you make Project SA for mac?
4. OMFG THIS IS SO ****ING EPIC!!!!

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Why can't you do any hacking at the moment? :-P

But seriously now...could you give a character elemental attributes (fire, ice, electric, etc.) in their attacks even though they don't normally have it? (i.e. all Mario's attacks are ice instead of fire?)

Yes, you can. This is how they gave jiggz fire rest (but it's changed to dark rest now)

Yingyay

Smash Ace
This might be a dumb question but I wanna make sure.

Can you use final smashes without smash balls?

This would be perfect for Brawl -

crazy brawler

Smash Cadet
*sigh*

The forbidden 7 are just empty folders. Their is nothing to complete. You'd have to make them from scratch.

How many times must that be said...
*sigh* he didnt mean putting the forbidden 7 in brawl with an imcomplete file, he mean doing a new model for them to put in brawl

Top Bottom