• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jab Cancel Compendium. Jab Jab D-smash owns.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Alright, so I actually got time to sit down and test Mario's Jab thoroughly. I'm a bad tester, so I cannot directly produce frame data right now, but I can tell you everything that matters.

The fist part of Mario's Jab has the most vertical knockback, and thus the most stun time. The 2nd punch of Mario's Jab combo has even more vertical knockback, and thus stuns your opponent longer before they can block. Landing the fist hitboxes of both Jab1 and Jab2 in sequence gives Mario the largest possible frame advantage for followups.

The close up part of Jab has horizontal knockback, but this does combo into the sweetspot of the 2nd hit.

Kirby and Jigglypuff have a ducking animation when they hit the ground after being Jabbed, so if you do something like Jab -> F-tilt, angle F-tilt downwards.

Jab cancel combos into another Jab. If you have a wall, or if your opponent DIs towards you when they are offstage, you'll have an infinite (tested only on another Mario). Remember, you can auto jab cancel by holding diagonally back and downwards. So on RC or Delphino if you get this off against a wall, just keep doing it and then when you're done, B-throw. I'm pretty sure this doesn't work on space animals or Captain Falcon though, although I haven't yet tested whether you can hit with Jab1 after they get hit by Jab2.

Now by this point, I expect you're going to tell me to cut the crap and get to the good stuff about who Mario can D-smash out of Jab. Well here's the list.

Jab1 (sweetspotted) -> D-smash is unblockable against:
Marth
Kirby
Lucario
Luigi
Olimar
Peach
Pit
ROB
Samus
Zelda

Jab1 (sweetspotted) + Jab2 -> D-smash is unblockable against:
Everyone who is not in the 6th column of the character roster. Seriously. If for some reason however those characters decide to ASDI upwards (hold the control stick upwards) while they get Jabbed, you can then D-smash those characters too.

Keep in mind, D-tilt, F-tilt, and U-tilt come out the same frame as D-smash. D-tilt and F-tilt have slightly more range, and U-tilt has less range, but for the most part, anyone who you can hit with D-smash out of Jab cancel can be hit by those attacks, and in the case of F-tilt and D-tilt, it's usually easier due to those attacks having more range.

Jab cancel grabbing is also a good strategy, although keep in mind, you usually have to take a tiny step forward to grab someone out of a sweetspotted Jab.

This will get updated again maybe if I find anything else worthwhile.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't have any data, but Jab -> Dsmash works alot on... lots of people, especially if you time it right. It's nice to use against all kinds of people, when used sparingly and combined with other jab setups of course.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-I preffer Dtilt over Dsmash x9...and yeah, Mario's ground game is pretty good, mainly because jab's are our glory but meh...isn't more funny to stay in the air and use Uair recklessy.? heh, think about it and improve ur ground game, dudz.!-

bobson

Smash Lord
Just a quick frame data comparison, you should be able to land dtilt, utilt, ftilt, dsmash, grab, dash attack, or up-B guaranteed out of jab > jab. Dsmash is the most damaging of all of those at 15%, followed by bthrow and up-B at 12%. A utilt lock or multiple grab pummels combined with a bthrow would surpass those, though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jab -> Up-B and Jab -> U-tilt are unreliable and harder to connect due to their shorter range. Mario's Jab always sends his opponent slightly away from him, so anything that has less range than Mario's Jab is very difficult to follow up with properly since it is critical to hit with the fist hitbox. Mario's grab has even shorter range, but it's unblockable, so spending a frame to take a step forward is worthwhile.

Mario's D-smash has identical range to his Jab, while F-tilt and D-tilt have slightly more.

Top Bottom