• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with the Regrab

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Recently going against my friend's Lucas
I have been getting infinited to redeem his stock for an SD
It is so far inescapable
And horribly hindering my Ness' advancement
and also making me reconsider maining Ness
Lucas can infinite Ness...
Lucas cant be infinited by Ness...
I'm sorry if this thread was already made,
however I desprately need an escape tactic,
Ref's grab doesnt work, and Extra inch DI also fails...

Sakurai Hates Ness...

If anyone has a solution please post

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Don't get grabbed, there's nothing you can do about it.

And if this is making you consider quitting Ness, then... yikes. Almost every character in the game can do something horrendous to Ness/Lucas out of grab release. :marth: :charizard:

Extra Inch DI doesn't exist, by the way.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Not Getting grabbed...
got any suggestions?
Also its only consideration [due to frustration].
and I'm aware what ofher characters can do...
Oh thanks for the heads up about
Extra In. Di

Also Nice avatar Neon

Neon Ness

Lucas' pivot grab is the one you need to watch out for. His normal grab is, well... bad. :/ Keep your distance for the most part... And beware if he runs at you, a lot of times you'll feel pressured to shield/sidestep, and they'll run past you for a free pivot grab.

Staying airborne is important. Short hop dair keeps people at bay most of the time, that move is pretty safe. Retreat fairs so as not to get shieldgrabbed upon landing.

You have to read your opponent, here. See when he's most likely to go for a (pivot) grab, and know how to react accordingly.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
cousin has tried that on me, but nothing that di doesn't fix....but it can lead to a few % of dmg I will admit.
If i recall correctly, all you need to do is hold to the opposite side of the lucas, thats what I did. and eventually you'll get far enough to possibly spotdodge or run from the regrab. Idk, maybe if the lucas buffers the second grab it could work. doubt it though.

also, ness has something on lucas
dash grab>release>dash grab, ALSO able to escape with di, but can catch an opponent off gaurd
and done so the lucas releases off the edge of the stage almost always leads to a spike...
works on both lucas and ness sadly

Neon Ness

Really?

I was under the impression that Lucas' against Ness was a true infinite. When I had it done to me, I couldn't DI out or escape or anything. Guess that's just me being bad at this game again.

Thing is, if the Lucas knows you're going to try and escape he can forward tilt out of grab release without fail, instead of trying to go for another grab. Which is not as bad as Marth's post-Grab Release options, I guess, but still... damage is damage.

This makes me wonder if Link, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Toon Link, Olimar, and Ivysaur can do the same...perform the (pseudo?)infinite with their tether grabs, I mean.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Really?

I was under the impression that Lucas' against Ness was a true infinite. When I had it done to me, I couldn't DI out or escape or anything. Guess that's just me being bad at this game again.

This makes me wonder if Link, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Toon Link, Olimar, and Ivysaur can do the same...perform the (pseudo?)infinite with their tether grabs, I mean.
I get the impression its a true infinite due to lack of a reliable escape however I'm not sure about the others

also, ness has something on lucas
dash grab>release>dash grab, ALSO able to escape with di, but can catch an opponent off gaurd
and done so the lucas releases off the edge of the stage almost always leads to a spike...
works on both lucas and ness sadly
No you can't Lucas' grab release seem to end earlier than Ness'
I can chain another Ness' but lucas always escapes which can
lead to another chaingrab. Also Lucas can't chain himself

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I'm telling you, you can get out of it. I just did it, crudely testing it myself with two controllers in my lap, constantly pressing grab with lucas, spinning the control stick with ness on my other hand. If i can do it with one hand it shouldn't be impossible with two. I can maybe get my gf to test it, since all shed have to do is press grab tomorrow lol.
and I've done it against my cousin who mained lucas for some time, so I still disagree that its an infinite.
Unless there was something recently learned about lucas' grab?

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
I'm telling you, you can get out of it. I just did it, crudely testing it myself with two controllers in my lap, constantly pressing grab with lucas, spinning the control stick with ness on my other hand. If i can do it with one hand it shouldn't be impossible with two. I can maybe get my gf to test it, since all shed have to do is press grab tomorrow lol.
and I've done it against my cousin who mained lucas for some time, so I still disagree that its an infinite.
Unless there was something recently learned about lucas' grab?
Are you shieldgrabbing or z-grabbing?
because I believe its done with Shield Grabbing
constantly tapping 'A'

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
this is an infinite. I play a very good Lucas frequently and this is inescapable. The rope snake is what makes this non DI-able.

Also Ness' "chaingrab" on Lucas never works.

Atex-Error

Smash Rookie
the thing with Lucas is that he's strong i Main A lot of people and Lucas ad Ness are in their

Lucas has combos that rack up damage quickly with out trying, so if your Ness he is a grab Punish guy like King DDD.

so if Lucas makes one mistake punish it with grabs. and Ness has Tricky Moves, like the Pk thunder Mindgame, cmon his Yo-Yo moves can hit twice and his Head is stronger then Lucas' grabs lead to dangerous combos wit Ness that can KO A LOT.'

also throw lucas far off the stage and absorb his Pk thunder so he dies -_______- cheapest way to kill Ness and Lucas, or when he is almost at the ledge do a Pk Fire and since he's stuck there Spike him or do a Pk Pulse or something be creative =D

Uffe

Smash Hero
Are you shieldgrabbing or z-grabbing?
because I believe its done with Shield Grabbing
constantly tapping 'A'
Grabbing with Z would probably be a tad quicker than grabbing than L/R + A, so I don't know how that's relevant.

this is an infinite. I play a very good Lucas frequently and this is inescapable. The rope snake is what makes this non DI-able.

Also Ness' "chaingrab" on Lucas never works.
Aren't tether grabs slower than regular ones? If Ness' doesn't work, then I have no idea how Lucas' can work. I really do wish I could play Brawl to check this out, because I'm still not believing it.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
If the grab is an infinite, why is our Lucas matchup 60:40 Ness?

Unless our matchup thread is really outdated :/

EDIT: By which I mean: If it was an infinite, the matchup would be in Lucas's favor, right? Doesn't jump break fix this anyways?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I did it with both r+a and in my case x grab.
It is hard to get out of, but even with my gf just mashing x I still had a very thin time frame to spot dodge, id recommend spot dodging since I think if you roll the grab can still get you. I know this isnt full proof cause well, my gf doesnt smash competitively but considering all it is is repressing the grab button I doubt theres anything we couldve messed up on.

Please try it out yourself though, what I did was spin the control stick around to break out of it earlier, spot dodged right away and then the tether is let out but since it doesn't grab you they are stuck in the ending animation. Run away, attack do w.e

Avenu

Smash Cadet
also throw lucas far off the stage and absorb his Pk thunder so he dies -_______- cheapest way to kill Ness and Lucas, or when he is almost at the ledge do a Pk Fire and since he's stuck there Spike him or do a Pk Pulse or something be creative =D
Lucas' PK Thunder goes through enemies. It's funny watching somebody try and absorb it and end up getting PKT2'd instead.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Aren't tether grabs slower than regular ones? If Ness' doesn't work, then I have no idea how Lucas' can work. I really do wish I could play Brawl to check this out, because I'm still not believing it.
Lucas isn't close enough to Ness when he's released and it gives Lucas time to spot dodge before regrab. Lucas' rope snake doesn't have a lot of starting lag and usually tethers aren't that much slower coming out. The only ones who are noticably slower are Zamus' and Samus' tether. Lucas' has terrible ending lag, but minimal start up, and is only slightly slower then normal grabs.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Lucas' PK Thunder goes through enemies. It's funny watching somebody try and absorb it and end up getting PKT2'd instead.
He was being quite literal when he said "absorb", my friend. He means use down B to eat Lucas's thunder.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Grabbing with Z would probably be a tad quicker than grabbing than L/R + A, so I don't know how that's relevant.

Shieldgrabbing helps due to Z occasionaly doing a jab combo or shielding

If the grab is an infinite, why is our Lucas matchup 60:40 Ness?

Unless our matchup thread is really outdated :/

EDIT: By which I mean: If it was an infinite, the matchup would be in Lucas's favor, right? Doesn't jump break fix this anyways?
I don't know, however the subject really should be given further discussion...

Atex-Error

Smash Rookie
mindgames my friend mindgames

Ness has a Pk Fire mind game

well i use these 2

normal PK Fire then jump PK FIre, then grab let the pk fire still hit him while your hitting him as well and follow up with any throw you want it racks up damage =/

or just fool around with (IDK how its called but when you tilt your control stick left and right very quickly) and jump back then do a PK fire and grab and throw where ever you want.

lol heres a funny one (well IMO)

throw Lucas off the stage and do a PK Flash and that lucas player might think your gonna let it go and he's gonna absorb it right? WRONG keep it and he would do the Pk magnet and go passed the ledge so then you go down and do your PK magnet and abosrb his PK thunder =D

its easy if your a Ness Mainer, fighting Lucas is Fun =D

BSP

Smash Legend
mindgames my friend mindgames

Ness has a Pk Fire mind game

well i use these 2

normal PK Fire then jump PK FIre, then grab let the pk fire still hit him while your hitting him as well and follow up with any throw you want it racks up damage =/

or just fool around with (IDK how its called but when you tilt your control stick left and right very quickly) and jump back then do a PK fire and grab and throw where ever you want.

lol heres a funny one (well IMO)

throw Lucas off the stage and do a PK Flash and that lucas player might think your gonna let it go and he's gonna absorb it right? WRONG keep it and he would do the Pk magnet and go passed the ledge so then you go down and do your PK magnet and abosrb his PK thunder =D

its easy if your a Ness Mainer, fighting Lucas is Fun =D
I think you're talking about dash dancing.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
The grab is 13 frames. Doesn't Ness have like 10 frames of delay or something?

13 - 10 = 3

I'm pretty sure spotdodges have a two frames startup until invincibility.
so..

3 - 2 = 1

Not an infinite?

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, as I could be.

I do know that we can grab -> pummel until -> dtilt trip -> regrab.

but... it's extremely hard to do, and pretty impractical. =/

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
The grab is 13 frames. Doesn't Ness have like 10 frames of delay or something?

13 - 10 = 3

I'm pretty sure spotdodges have a two frames startup until invincibility.
so..

3 - 2 = 1

Not an infinite?

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, as I could be.

I do know that we can grab -> pummel until -> dtilt trip -> regrab.

but... it's extremely hard to do, and pretty impractical. =/
I actually thought there were 20 frames of delay, does anyone know the exact number?

Levitas

the moon
10 frames disadvantage for the ness being released. PF is right, this is avoidable.

iirc, you can even buffer a spotdodge to avoid it every time.

Neon Ness

10 frames disadvantage for the ness being released. PF is right, this is avoidable.

WHAT.

Well, then it goes back to my original theory of me being bad at this game, I guess. I honestly thought it was a true infinite.

Go figure...

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508

Oh ok then, thanks everybody good to see it is escapable even though there is only one frame to escape...

WHAT.

Well, then it goes back to my original theory of me being bad at this game, I guess. I honestly thought it was a true infinite.

Go figure...
You and me both...

Atex-Error

Smash Rookie
lol

the way RandomLax wrote it is funny

its like yeah it could be done

but its hard to do >.> thanks for that help Smash Boards

XD

well glad everything is cleared up here.

Ness Mainers i think are the friendliest or most helpful IMO

GO NESS!

Uffe

Smash Hero
lol

the way RandomLax wrote it is funny

its like yeah it could be done

but its hard to do >.> thanks for that help Smash Boards

XD

well glad everything is cleared up here.

Ness Mainers i think are the friendliest or most helpful IMO

GO NESS!
The Ness AND Lucas boards. :) 'Cause we're kids at heart.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Wait, so Ness has 1 frame to escape Lucas infinite. How many frames does Lucas have to escape Ness's dash grab regrab? I personally feel like its guaranteed..

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Umm Ness could regrab lucas frame data wise with the start of his dashing grab, but... I'm not sure if Ness can reach lucas in time with his dashing grab at the distance lucas slides. If Ness' dashing grab reaches lucas on frames 8-11 from the break point he should be able to but if lucas' slide pushes it to 12 then he can spot dodge... Umm I would test it but currently my recording equipment is currently not set up.

30 to 40 10 frame difference..
8 is the earliest Ness can grab in his dashing grab, I don't know the latest.
1 more for start up of spot dodges,

Ness has to grab sometime between the 8th and 11th frame... Might just be do able... If i can set everything up I'll test... Don't think I will be able to.

Top Bottom