• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Play On Green Greens (and why it should be a counterpick)

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Alright, so in a recent poll regarding Greens (and in past polls on different tournament pages) I've been amazed by some people's views of the stage. Generally, people instinctively want to ban it due to the stigma against random events and a fear of the short sides and ceiling which case you to die earlier than you would expect.

Why it should not be banned

It's interesting how much faster the Brawl community is to ban things (and yes, I appreciate the irony of this statement in light of my writing the MK pro-ban argument on SWF). And while I actually do believe that, in a game designed by Sakurai to be noncompetitive, it is important to remove aspects that are noncompetitive, I do not believe that Green Greens as a stage falls under this banner. Once the mechanics of the stage are understood by the player, "random" events that always fall within a set region of the stage and can be prevented, managed, controlled, and minimized cease to have a significant deciding factor in the match, and rather become tools of the players. (Not to mention that the stage was legal in Melee >_> ).

The most important point that agrees with this statement, that "Green Greens is a competitive stage", is the fact that players can consistently win there, demonstrating that random events aren't an issue, and of even more note, that of all the regions that have it legal (as far as I can recall; Washington, Texas, Illinois, and some other Midwest states), none of them have ever banned it at a later date and the stage has caused no issues.

Washington, above all other states, has had a history of legalizing as much as possible and then banning them when they have demonstrated to be a problem. Early in Brawl's life, even Hanenbow was legal- but one player abused the stage, beating another by landing one hit and circle camping, and the stage was immediately banned with little question from that point. As stages prove to be an issue, they are removed. Greens has never caused an issue, beyond normal stalling that can be done on any stage and is eliminated via edge grab rule.

Importance as a counterpick

It's worth noting that the stage benefits several lower tiers (such as Peach, Zelda, Luigi, and Toon Link), and several higher tiers (Snake, G&W, and Dedede), but most importantly, it does not significantly benefit Metaknight. Snake vs MK is advantaged to Snake on this stage. By allowing Green Greens as a stage, MK is actually counterpickable by a number of characters, whereas normally they have to take him to a neutral (even Snake normally has to simply pick FD, since MK will ban Halberd).

The fact that MK cannot normally be counterpicked means that a stage that allows several characters to beat him or perform far better than usual is an important find and resolves some of the issues relating to him and the stage counterpick system.

How to actually play on the stage so as to eliminate issues

I'll begin with covering the most-complained about aspect of the stage: the bombs.

There's one key thing to note about Green Greens, and that is this; bomb block explosions have a hitbox that only lasts one frame, and they will explode immediately upon touching a hurtbox with their bottom.

This means that if you simply airdodge when passing through the columns, you can never be hit by the bombs. Similarly, standing by a bomb and spotdodging a projectile or attack from your opponent that sets off the bomb results in no damage to you, as the bomb explosion hitbox does not matter.

As to the importance of the bombs in the match. As there are many ways to prevent the explosions from doing damage (Spotdodging, airdodging, shielding, etc), they actually become a very important point. You can prevent Falco from side-Bing to safety by leaving pillars containing bombs intact, or stand by a bomb and have a safe point as large attacks like G&W's bair will set the bomb off and harm your opponent if you spotdodge.

Further, the bomb's knockback is greatly exaggurated. Stories of people dying at percentages as low as 40% are the result of horrific DI; it's very possible to survive at percentages over 100%, and it's even more possible to simply not let the bombs hit you. Opponents cannot launch you into the bomb (although dash grabs can push you in to them, however, doing this does not launch you at a killing angle) unless you momentum cancel with an aerial that breaks the bomb block (your own fault)- keep an eye out of the block formations.

The blocks in themselves can be managed when playing against characters like Dedede. If you destroy the lower blocks, Dedede cannot infinite you against the wall, and the lower blocks will not respawn until Dedede jumps up and breaks the top blocks (giving you an opportunity to chase him). And relating to the bombs again- by watching the formation of the top blocks, you will always know which pillars will or will not be reforming.

Further, the bombs do less damage than Snake's ftilt and have less knockback (IIRC) than the Melee version of the stage!

An older match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg1kauvemw

Note how ShadowRob survives past 150% every stock and we both survive high percent bomb explosions effortlessly. The simple rule is to airdodge when passing over pillars missing their top blocks, or move through them cautiously. Practice the stage and get a feel for it. The problem with Greens is that people with no experience on the stage run in to everything and cry foul- just like the ten-second-timer Klaptrap on Jungle Japes.

There are three people in WA who have truly spent the time to sit down and learn the stage. Me, Maos, and Valdens. All three of us consistently beat everyone else on the stage, and go even with each other there. Random events are NOT deciding matches, folks.

Debunking common myths

"Green Greens promotes camping". I've heard this from a number of people, usually ROB mains. t0mmy told me that he wouldn't ban Green Greens because, if I took him there, he'd camp me. He camped me. He went offstage and I fair'd him and killed him at some stupid low percentage. Jamnt0ast has made similar statements about the stage.

Green Greens does not promote camping via running away. Characters like Falco have to watch out for the pillars when side-Bing, and the blocks stop projectiles. Meanwhile, the character running away lines himself up for low percentage kills off the side, while the character that stays solid in the middle of the stage remains safe. Really, the best strategy is to camp the center and maintain the position, which is GREAT if you're counterpicking the stage on someone like Metaknight.

The stage favors characters that kill off the top, characters with good stage control, and it assists characters with poor recovery (due to the short sides making horizontal recovery distance unimportant). That makes it a good counterpick.

"Dtilt infinites!" As dtilts break the blocks they are supposed to infinite against, most infinites (such as Marth's dtilt infinite) simply don't work. The ones that do (G&W and ROB, for example) require the dtilt to be perfectly spaced so as not to break the blocks. Not only is it unreasonable to get this set up on a high level player (I CP every G&W and ROB here and they've all tried and not been able to), but by simply breaking the bottom blocks (which won't respawn while the top are intact), this is prevented.

"Dedede is really good here!" Honestly the only valid complaint IMO...it favors him in a lot of ways. Still, by breaking the bottom blocks, you can prevent the infinite from occurring and continue to fight him normally. Also, if the wind pushes towards the blocks, the infinite is interrupted. I have beaten several Dedede's here, though I would probably ban it against someone like Atomsk, I usually simply leave it on. It's not nearly as unwinnable as people think, and I'd rather have to worry about Dedede's here than not have the stage as an MK counterpick.

tl;dr version:

Green Greens is the best stage in the game and should be legal.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Great write-up. Anyone wanting a ban for GG just isn't will to learn the matchup...
Also, I really don't want to start this...but you mentioned it as the only stage Snake beats MK...That's pretty debatable...Especially FD if Halberd IS banned....

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Completely agree with you Praxis. Green Greens is a great stage that should be legal. But mks can just ban the stage so you wouldnt be able to CP them :/.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I love green greens.

I love playing on Green Greens.

Because I counterpicked Green Greens too much, I forgot to enter Brawl Singles at HERB.

Green Greens are awesome. I'm about to go enjoy some green greens.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Really interesting article, Praxis.

I'm not totally convinced, but I am definitely going to be giving this stage a lot more legitimate tries and trying to research it myself on all the points that you made.

It seems like you are probably right, though.

Again, very interesting and I will definitely look into it.

Nice post!

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
True but if you bust out the bottom blocks he cant infinite you.Then you gotta add wind and the fact that in most tournies standing infinites are banned anyway.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
True but if you bust out the bottom blocks he cant infinite you.Then you gotta add wind and the fact that in most tournies standing infinites are banned anyway.
not those against a wall, though

I've always advocated for this stage to be legal. I really, really like it against MK if I'm playing as Snake, and just think it's a great place to CP certain characters in general. Plus the stage is good for CF and Ganondorf.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What's cool about GG is when you break blocks (which happens a lot), they act as a ghost from Yoshi's island but from the top. You smack off of these and save you occasionally. I'd actually love for this to become a counterpick. Too fun.

UberMario

Smash Master
I really don't understand why this is banned. Is it because of the bomb blocks?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Oops. I vaguely remembered someone saying it was but I wasn't sure, hence the "possibly". Fixed.

Nice to see good discussion on this so far :) I recognize that the stage does have issues and I would expect that "conservative" TOs who ban Japes/Rainbow/Brinstar would probably ban it to, but I do think the stage has a lot of potential, especially if MK doesn't get banned as a way to salvage the stage CP system.

Masky, I think I've seen an exploding apple and i've had people mention them, but I've never actually been hit by one despite playing on the stage constantly. :( Any idea how much knockback they do?

TP

Smash Master
I recognize that the stage does have issues and I would expect that "conservative" TOs who ban Japes/Rainbow/Brinstar would probably ban it
That's not conservative, that's racist against Melee stages.

:034:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Situational, but for a Falco player or someone with projectiles as well as ROB, I guess it would be. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ROB's lasers not break some things such as blocks on green greens?

Avion

Smash Apprentice
While I don't particularly like this stage too much, I agree it should be counterpick. Plus, suicide attacking bomb blocks so you're both killed is so much fun :laugh:

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
We could ban DDD from counterpicking it. *shrugs*.

Other then that, yes, I would love for this to become a counterpick. Not for doubles though. For singles it's still fairly small lol. I love green greens <3.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Yep... just what I thought:

Some stages at a tourney I'd rathers see Green Greens take place:
Castle Siege --> Multiple walkoffs, ain't that lovely? (Transitions + 2nd phase) much better then a REMOVABLE infinite...
Corneria --> Hey look, an indefinite wall that "while avoidable" lets you get the larger part of a CG + random lasers can kill me! Yippe!
Frigate Orpheon --> Flipping hates me, nuf' said. Personall vendetta against the stage.

I'm going to try and get Green Greens to be legal at my next tourney... and CP it against everyone.. :p get people to like it.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Yep... just what I thought:

Some stages at a tourney I'd rathers see Green Greens take place:
Castle Siege --> Multiple walkoffs, ain't that lovely? (Transitions + 2nd phase) much better then a REMOVABLE infinite...
Corneria --> Hey look, an indefinite wall that "while avoidable" lets you get the larger part of a CG + random lasers can kill me! Yippe!
Frigate Orpheon --> Flipping hates me, nuf' said. Personall vendetta against the stage.

I'm going to try and get Green Greens to be legal at my next tourney... and CP it against everyone.. :p get people to like it.

Just as a warning, people playing on Greens with no experience whatsoever will get themselves killed by the bombs and **** about it :(

I'll get some vids of me vs Maos on Greens up from this weekend's tournament.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I ***** about Frigate flipping at the worst possible times, and it's not like the bombs are hard to see or anything... lol

But I think I'm $10 short for my tourney, unless my friend spots me a few bucks or I win 10 $1 MM's (me paying in quarters) I don't think I'll be participating.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I ***** about Frigate flipping at the worst possible times, and it's not like the bombs are hard to see or anything... lol
Pro tip - Jigglypuff cannot die from stage flips, regardless of where she is on stage.

Now, as for Greens, I did not know about the bomb box hitbox. That is certainly interesting information.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Pro tip - Jigglypuff cannot die from stage flips, regardless of where she is on stage.

Now, as for Greens, I did not know about the bomb box hitbox. That is certainly interesting information.
This is assuming she has all her midair jumps, the player is good with rising Pound, and the opponent doesn't feel like making the effort to finish your stock off... right?

Green greens I actually like, so long as you don't caught on the wall infinites which can usually be taken care of (maybe that's because Sonic is invincible when he releases his SD and doesn't get hurt by the exploding, I don't know how other characters would handle them but it wouldn't a CP for nothing would it?). If that's too much trouble we can just ban wall-infinites all-together, and the stage really becomes playable, and dare I say... FUN?!

MJG

Smash Hero
I need more experience on this stage @.@

Ive seens Ikes F Smash Cancel on Green Greens if hes standing on the Blocks @.@

As far as Midwest States having this stage, I believe its banned in Kansas

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
I think you bring up solid points, especially about Meta Knight.

Also, I have not seen the exploding apples yet, so I do not know how much of an effect they will have, but items have a much larger role in brawl than melee:

Glide tossing

More items overall: turnips, bombs, grenades, bananas, gyros, ZSS armor, etc

TEECO

Smash Ace
Yesz, to this being a counterpick.

I mean, if Jungle Japes is legal.. then this should be too.

Top Bottom