• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should convicted pedophiles be electronically tagged? - DHAI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Ok so in your opinion, should convicted pedophiles be electronically tagged? Here is how it'll work. Electronic tags will be surgically implanted into the convicted pedophiles soon after their release. The tags will have the ability to monitor heart rate, and blood pressure. Any fluctuations can be used to predict a possible attack.

Of course some people will consider this method a tad bit invasive. But to be honest, that individual became invasive the day he/she prayed on a vulnerable child. Simply allowing the pedophile to walk free, overlooking the idea of a future attack is extremely naive. This is why I strongly feel this is a reasonably effective and appropriate method of dealing with pedophiles. If you think about it, this isn't that much different of tracking a hurricane. Both pedophiles an hurricanes (although storms lack consciousness) are dangerous threats that have unpredictable paths. Therefore, its important society knows of the existence of these threats.

As I mentioned above, one key difference between the two is that a hurricane lacks a conscious. Now despite the fact that a pedophile has a conscious, I don't think they can truly change. Sure they may go to a therapist an help cope with their "urges." But even if they don't act on them in the future, that doesn't necessarily mean they have completely gotten over their sick obsession. I'm not saying to treat them like some wild animal. But its important you don't let your guard down. You have to treat them as a threat. By knowing where they are, all the time, we can keep the children a bit safer.

According to this site, here are a some pros an cons of this plan.
http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/topic_details.php?topicID=189

Pros:

We can place exclusion zones around areas where we know children are likely to be: schools, playgrounds and so on, and forbid known pedophiles from entering them. If a pedophile enters the zone, the police can be alerted through the tagging system. Also, if the monitors measure heart rate and blood pressure, the police can be alerted when a pedophile exhibits symptoms of nervousness that might indicate that they are about to commit a crime. This will make children safer.

This measure protects the innocent: if convicted pedophiles were tagged and their whereabouts known at all times, it would be easy for the police to eliminate them from their inquiries when children were abducted, because they would have a cast-iron alibi: the fact that they have a previous record could not be a pretext for the police to arrest them.

Cons:

This is an abuse of civil liberties: once people have been released from prison they are considered to have paid their debt to society, and we have no right to continue to keep them under surveillance.

The police have lists of convicted pedophiles and their addresses anyway, and they can use these when trying to eliminate suspects without the immense logistical problems caused by having to monitor the movements of pedophiles in real time on computer screens. Also, if the technology was faulty, clever pedophiles might be able to hack into the system, constructing cast-iron false alibis ‘proving’ they were at home when the offense was committed.

So how do you feel about this issue? Let us debate!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yes, they should because we can use it for cases, IE, in short, some child is ***** in a certain area, and if its an unusual area we can find a pedophile who matches the description or if none do.

I think sex offenders should be tracked, but no one else. And the data should only be used by someone with no personal connections in criminal investigations.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Hmm, this might be kind of hard for me to give out an answer to this one. Being a pedophile alone is bad, even on rearrange marriages. However if the tags is as you say have the ability to monitor heart rate, and blood pressure, might also be a flaw for tagging them, if you were to think the child is... hot, but don't have the mind to touch them, the tags could set off at any time, (if there's no surveillance that is), due to technical flaws that may happen. Society is corrupted with pedophile attacking the youth true, but let us not forget about some trials being a lie and might be tagging the innocent. =/

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a bit invasive of privacy which once the pedophile has completed their sentence is allowed to have as any citizen is.

I believe that councelling and therapy would be much better as it can both help society and the individual in question. If the person is known possibly that counselling won't ever work then I'd consider tagging them.

I think reducing the tag to only go off when the individual is within the vicinity of certain areas mentioned (schools, playgrounds) may be a bit more humane as it can help protect children and the person isn't being constantly monitered.

Also adding to this: some people who have pedophillic desires have actually gone to the police to seek help before they act on them (they haven't done anything wrong yet and have a desire to prevent it occurring) but a lot of establishes can do nothing until a person actually commits assault which I think is terrible.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Pedophiles give up many rights after they have comitted a crime. Once someone has actually ***** a child, then they give up their right to privacy. The right of innocent children to be safe supercedes the right of a convicted pedophile's right of privacy. I believe that something such as this that protects children is right.

I think the device should be created such that it monitors pedophiles when they go into areas populated by children, though. In other situations however, we do not have the right to monitor pedophiles. This is also good, because it helps out remorseful pedophiles. This will help pedophiles trying to reform to stay away from cetain areas, and give them good alibis should something happen.

This, along with counseling, will help to aleviate pedophilia issues.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Pedophile ≠ child molester.

That being said, I see a huge amount of flaws with this, though it may simply be my ignorance of the system. It is stated in the link that tracking would be done by satellite, which is fine and dandy, but who's going to be tracking the movement? The police force? A special unit? And if they receive notice that there is a flux in heart rate and blood pressure, who's going to investigate it? Will the police have the resources to respond to every twinge in the circulatory system? Or is it a system provided merely for the sake of alibis?

Situationally, I don't see how this could work. An implanted person could say that he was merely be exercising or working out, and the police could be knocking at his door five minutes later. Sure, he has an alibi, or he could be spying on Mr. and Mrs. Across-the-Road's five year-old. There's really no way of being sure, is what I'm trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, I think implants are a great idea, and the safety of the children should be first priority. Even if a child molester has "paid their debt to society," pedophiles are generally considered mentally sick. But there are flaws with this system that could allow a child molester to circumvent the law. Situational flaws, yes, but I still find them problematic.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I agree with lythium. Though I believe that without question anyhing that can be done to protect children from convicted pedophiles. I'm not sure this system is a very good method for doing this.

However, despite this, until a better monitoring system is devised, these should be used, because there are some benefits. If these are used to prevent pedophiles from going into child areas then it could help to prevent at least some desires. This could also provide alibis as has been said.

And anyways, on the issue of people finished with jail having 'paid their debt to society, pedophiles who stayed clean wouldn't be hurt at all by this system. They could actually even be helped out.

I believe that counseling is the first thing that a pedophile really needs, but this could help out as well. There are also drugs that can help people repress their desires. Here is some stuff about drugs for pedophiles

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I don't quite understand how they aren't the same thing. Unless, you're saying Pedophile is just the classification, and child molester falls under the umbrella of pedophile.
Being a pedophile means you have an obsession with children in a sexual manner of thought. Being a child molester means you sexually abuse a child with action and not just thought. But yea, pedophile and child molester falls almost in the same category, but not the same term.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I don't quite understand how they aren't the same thing. Unless, you're saying Pedophile is just the classification, and child molester falls under the umbrella of pedophile.
A pedophile is defined as - a psychological disorder in which an adult experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children.

A child molester however is defined as - a form of child abuser in which a child is abused for the sexual gratification of an adult or older adolescent.

So as you see all pedophiles don't molest children so can't be considered child molesters and not all child molesters are considered pedophiles, because they don't actually have sexual urges for children (but most are).

Hope this helps you distinguish.

Overload

Smash Lord
Hmm, so instead of trying to get these obviously mentally sick people help, we tag them like animals and track their movement. Perhaps an ankle tracking device could be worn for a certain amount of time, but I don't think anything should be surgically implanted into them. It's almost as if they're not considered human.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Hmm, so instead of trying to get these obviously mentally sick people help, we tag them like animals and track their movement. Perhaps an ankle tracking device could be worn for a certain amount of time, but I don't think anything should be surgically implanted into them. It's almost as if they're not considered human.
That statement is a little rediculous. Of Course, we would help them to get over their illness, but you have to keep the interests of children at heart. If we can help to make children safer and help pedophiles at the same time why wouldn't we? I agree with not doing the tagging surgically though.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Its already been shown that because of such extreme punishments, sex offenders are going underground, hiding their crimes, and murdering their victims more often.
And so out of fear, we step the crimes up another step?
Perhaps treating their illness instead of focusing on new punishments is the proper route.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Its already been shown that because of such extreme punishments, sex offenders are going underground, hiding their crimes, and murdering their victims more often.
And so out of fear, we step the crimes up another step?
Perhaps treating their illness instead of focusing on new punishments is the proper route.
Given the assumption that their illnesses are usually treatable of course...
5.3% is awfully large... and it gets bigger if they have had prior arrests.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/press/rsorp94pr.htm
Too bad the study doesn't give statistics for convicts who convicted multiple sex offenses and detailed their rates of recidivism. :(

:093:

Purple

Hi guys!
if sexual offenders are tracked, then what would we use to catch them. They're heart rate? Location? I mean if we do that we might catch them when they're doing something completely unrelated.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
if sexual offenders are tracked, then what would we use to catch them. They're heart rate? Location? I mean if we do that we might catch them when they're doing something completely unrelated.
It will have to be both heart rate and location. It's best to be prepared for anything and not make any mistakes as possible. The main fact is tagging them, of course needs to be tested to make sure there's no errors that could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom