• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2012. Is it really a bunch of BS or is it really true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So I just finished watching the movie Knowing and I decided to surf the forum to see any topics on 2012 aka the end of the world. I was actually a bit surprised to see that there wasnt a topic on this. So I decided to make a topic to discuss this. There are people who think it is not true and that it is a bunch of BS. Others believe it to be true according to many religions and scientific evidence.

There are many factors that could determine how the world will end. For example there is the fact that we as humans may make a machine with an AI significantly powerful enough that it may exterminate us. Yes that may sound like a Sci-Fi movie plot but there are people who believe that so I thought that I should include this.

There is also the fact that we may die from global warming. According to people the ice caps may melt meaning that the earth could flood itself.

Another hypothesis is that we may exterminate ourselves. We could start a WWIII. With our current technology there is a possibility we can b

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Don't forget to turn off your sig. ;)

No matter what hypothesis someone could throw @ me, I would never believe the 2012 hoax. Notwithstanding the fact that it isn't falsifiable, there is not a shred of evidence for it. I know you are smart enough not to buy the 2012 BS. :)

As for a possible end to the world--I would say global warming. If we don't get our act together and solve climate change (I will use the two interchangably for simplicity's sake), the Earth will become like a pot of boiling water, and I wouldn't want to be around when that happens.

PS I am hoping that someone doesn't say global warming isn't real, as I don't want to spend several hours debunking that. :laugh:

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I watched the movie Knowing too about 3 weeks ago and it did bring up some ideas into my head. I actually did think about the world ending at 2012 but we all remember Y2K. Honestly the only way that I think the world would end is by the sun exploding. This explaination behind this idea is the following, the sun is the nearest star to the Earth and all other planets in our solar system. Like other stars it would have to explode and when it does this will fry the Earth with the rest of our solar system.

Yes global warming is a huge issue, but I think that the human race will fix this problem. Many people are now becoming environmentally friendly which does help a lot. If a WWIII did happen it would most likely start in my house due to my grandmother getting so angry at me all the time. On a serious note I can't imagine the human race being so foolish that we eliminate ourselves. We do have nuclear missiles but again who would be so foolish to use them.

Overall, Y2K didn't happen so why should 2012 be any different? I am a Roman Catholic so in the Bible there is the book of the Bible is Revelation. In the book it states that Armageddon willl occur and that it will destroy the world. My religion teacher just thinks it is a story just made up and so do I. I do believe and follow my religion but do I really think the world will end by Armageddon? No. All I can do is hope that God will protect us all and save us if such a thing did happen.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Yes global warming is a huge issue, but I think that the human race will fix this problem. Many people are now becoming environmentally friendly which does help a lot. If a WWIII did happen it would most likely start in my house due to my grandmother getting so angry at me all the time. On a serious note I can't imagine the human race being so foolish that we eliminate ourselves. We do have nuclear missiles but again who would be so foolish to use them.
You'd be surprised the levels of stupid people can reach. :laugh:
But seriously, I do admire your optimism on the Global Warming tip. Props. :)

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
No. All I can do is hope that God will protect us all and save us if such a thing did happen.
The same God sends some people to suffer until the end of time even though he "loves" them.

Also on another note...I'm desperately hoping that people have enough sense for this:

If someone sends a nuke, this pretty much may lead to the end of the world.
But as long as they are aware of that...the world...might... not end due to war among nukes...

I think that some kind of mutation will occur, and that the world as we know it will end...maybe not the end of the world.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
The same God sends some people to suffer until the end of time even though he "loves" them.

Also on another note...I'm desperately hoping that people have enough sense for this:

If someone sends a nuke, this pretty much may lead to the end of the world.
But as long as they are aware of that...the world...might... not end due to war among nukes...

I think that some kind of mutation will occur, and that the world as we know it will end...maybe not the end of the world.
Though I share the same sentiments as you, I warn you not to go down this path. There are some temps who are apologetics, and will quickly veer the conservation off course. Just keeping you in the know. ;)

What sort of mutation do you mean by the way? :confused:

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
december 21, 2012. mayan calender ends this day. During this day the earth passes the bottom of the milky way and goes to the middle part of the milky way. The mayans believed the middle of the milky way is when the earth starts a new cycle. Do any bad things happen to the earth when this happens....no.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
On a serious note I can't imagine the human race being so foolish that we eliminate ourselves.
People kill them selfs everyday by some retarted things like smoking they know for a fact it will shorten their life and they will slowly die from jung cancer but they don't stop. No people in genarel are unimaineablely dumb.

Hmm.. president bush did everything in his power to keep people from stopping global warming and to burn as much fuel as he could. Unless someone gets off their mother F***ing *** we will ALL die in a few years. I really hate how dumb they are :mad:
No joke F*** all the other problems this one is important.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Also what about other causes? Like maybe solar flares (are those what theyre called?) According to Knowing (but it may be innacurate) and according to this book my dad's reading it says that we will all die from solar flares. Apparently he is starting to be obsessed with it so he started buying books on it. We can all burn to a crisp if that would happen. And it said that there will be rioting and looting... I know this is off topic but I dont get it. If something bad is happening and people are panicking why do they have loot stores. I never got the slightest idea why people do that.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I hope thta's how we all go but. isn't that millions of years from now and the solar flares haven't even reached mercury. I think your talking about when the Sun begins to die and it expands and sucks up some of the closer planets.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
No no. There is a book that my dads reading that says that they are solar flares. Those big explosions of heat from the sun right? And some scientists theorize and add that to their list of possible 2012 scenarios.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
No no. There is a book that my dads reading that says that they are solar flares. Those big explosions of heat from the sun right? And some scientists theorize and add that to their list of possible 2012 scenarios.
This isn't accepted by a large majority of scientists, though.

NukSuCao

Smash Cadet
My only opinion is that I believe that someone, somewhere is going to start some stupid conflict that escalates into nuclear holocaust, or at least WWIII. I do believe, however, that no one will begin firing nukes until the other does, only because they know that if we all die, they won't have anyone to pick fights with. Many battles have been fought over stupid conflict, and I believe that a lot of people in high power may cause something to start, without even knowing it.

If our president can't even squish a fly without someone flying off the handle, there's a problem.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
My only opinion is that I believe that someone, somewhere is going to start some stupid conflict that escalates into nuclear holocaust, or at least WWIII. I do believe, however, that no one will begin firing nukes until the other does, only because they know that if we all die, they won't have anyone to pick fights with. Many battles have been fought over stupid conflict, and I believe that a lot of people in high power may cause something to start, without even knowing it.

If our president can't even squish a fly without someone flying off the handle, there's a problem.
This I believe if anything leading to world destruction was to happen.

But outside of that, I don't believe it. Nor how this info leasts to these times. Y2K was a fluck. And the same with june, 6,2006 (06/06/06) While people from many years ago try to predict these events Things just don't at up.

Also what about other causes? Like maybe solar flares (are those what theyre called?) According to Knowing (but it may be innacurate) and according to this book my dad's reading it says that we will all die from solar flares. Apparently he is starting to be obsessed with it so he started buying books on it. We can all burn to a crisp if that would happen. And it said that there will be rioting and looting... I know this is off topic but I dont get it. If something bad is happening and people are panicking why do they have loot stores. I never got the slightest idea why people do that.

HA solar flares. Do you know how far away from the Sun we are?

The Sun is approx 149,600,000 kilometers from the Earth. Between 146 million km (91 million miles) and 152 million km (94.5 million miles) depending on Earth's position in orbit.
Solar flares don't cover even half that distance. See this pic. Does that look like even a fourth of 91 million miles?

Earth-Sun Distances.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Alright how about a few years ago (again im sorry if im innacurate) I heard that because of a solar flare that extended far a city in the US (maybe Chicago) had a city wide power outage. Again Im sorry if I sound like I know what Im saying and Im incorrect. But I clearly remember a story on the new years ago pertaining to that. Or maybe I heard wrong.

Well, yes, that is in fact true. Solar flares have been known to affect the poles, radio signals, sattelite signals, electricity, etc. This is because they are mostly made up of protons. They also release a wave of charged particles, refered to as solar wind, that are the cause of the Auroras. But only the solar windws reach Earth, and even then, barely penetrate the atmosphere. The flares themeselves never come even remotely close to Earth. The only time when anything related to solar flares can be lethal to humans is if we were to travel somewhere close to the sun, where the protons would pass through the astronauts bodies and disrupt their chemical makeup. But a solar flare reaching the Earth and incinerating us is completely impossible.

Solar Flare
Solar Wind

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
^^^
Is it really his fault or not?

Lets debate on this!

What sort of mutation do you mean by the way? :confused:
Any mutation...I have no idea.

None of this is clear to me, because I am one of those lazy readers (you can understand this right?)

But I read about a theory going on that there could possibly be a link to genetic mutations and 2012, as well as how humans could have possibly evolved in the past. And the cause of it may be the Cygnus X-3.

I had to search again to find the same pages.

First thing we must notice is that cosmic rays may cause mutations.

Cosmic rays are tied to humanity directly through evolution, as well as indirectly through aspects such as the universe's mass. In addition to radiation from gamma and beta rays, cosmic rays create the background radiation present on Earth. The background radiation occasionally affects the reproductive cells of humans (and other species), causing genetic mutations in their offspring.
Theoretically, a massive amount of these rays [cosmic] come from Cygnus.

Since I propose in THE CYGNUS MYSTERY that, aside from neutrinos, which very rarely interact with matter, the only form of cosmic rays to penetrate rock down to a depth of half a mile are those from Cygnus X-3, I wondered whether they were in fact 'seen' deep underground.
At the conference, a woman approached me and said that her father had worked down the Soudan mine in Minnesota, where after its closure particle physicists from the University of Minnesota working on the Soudan Experiment recorded huge excesses of mysterious cosmic particles inbound from Cygnus X-3 during the 1980s and 1990s. She said that he often saw blue flashes, as did other of the miners there.

So now we know that the rays can possibly be from Cygnus.

Yet as I have said, and also repeated yesterday on stage at Witchfest in South London, those who study the end of the Mayan Long Count (or Baktun) calendar make it clear that the transition from one epoch to the next at dawn on 21 December 2012 will be marked by the birth of the new sun, which will emerge from a cosmic 'birth tube' formed by the Milky Way's Dark Rift. Yet what they have failed to understand is that the Dark Rift begins where are placed the stars of Cygnus, which means that the new sun on that day is born from this precise region of space. Whatever one thinks of the 2012 phenomenon, it is unlikely that the Maya, who predicted this event nearly 2,500 years ago, would have been unaware of the astronomical implications of what would occur on this date.

Thus in my opinion, Cygnus is the key to 2012. It is the key to jumps in human evolution, and its effects are not going to cease now. The recent announcement from the scientists at the Tibet Air Shower Array that the Earth is being bombarded by a huge excess of cosmic rays from Cygnus is evidence of this fact. We are heading towards a very important juncture in humanity's history, of this I am now absolutely sure.
I am not going to say that this is 100% valid… There are plenty of arguments against it.
For one thing… I have to admit that I was very lazy during my science class…So I don’t know everything, But I also still wanted to point out this:

On average, every eleven years solar activity is high. The magnetic field of the sun increases, solar flares are more common, which produce magnetic clouds and therefore cosmic rays are deflected stronger than during a solar minimum. Thus, when the sun is active, fewer galactic cosmic rays reach Earth's atmosphere in order to produce secondary particles.
As you read in one of my links, The next time the sun will reach its maximum will be in 2011. Will it end by 2012?

Also this...
The whole fuss about the Mayan calendar ending is irrelevant; it's a circle. It doesn't end. When it reaches the end of one cycle it starts a new one. No doomsday or "age of enlightenment" or anything.
http://www.cosmicrays.org/muon-rays.php
http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sftheory/flare.htm
http://library.thinkquest.org/27930/cosmic_rays.htm
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/news/News_update_051106.htm
http://www.createdebate.com/debate/show/What_will_happen_in_2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People kill them selfs everyday by some retarted things like smoking they know for a fact it will shorten their life and they will slowly die from jung cancer but they don't stop. No people in genarel are unimaineablely dumb.
Mmm...

Children are dumb...[peer pressure]
And because of this...kids get hooked.
They grow into adults that get [edit ARE] hooked...
Then they die...(some people live)

I have yet to witness a adult that actually decided to smoke in modern times who's choice is not a response to past decisions...

And it isn't exactly easy to drop smoking...

I agree that people are dumb...but you have to give them a bit of credit also...After all, we the people realized ourselves of how ignorant and naive we may be.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Nice argument up there and I never thought that a possible scenario for 2012 could be mutations. Interesting I think I will look that up. Now there is one thing Id like to point out. The end of the Mayan calender. It says that the earth was going to complete a cycle in 2012. That means that nothing like "Armageddon" or "The Apocalypse" will happen. It just means that the earth just completed a cycle. Now I think people are exagerating this a bit. Just because the Mayans had a calender and its going to end in 2012 it doesnt mean that buildings are going to start demolishing themselves or people are going to see Jesus and the Devil duke it out. AND there are MANY theories as what could happen. Mutation, Global Warming, WWIII, contact with alien life, etc. So that means that maybe some of these stories people have made up. Also things like the bible are exaggerating on whats gonna happen. I think things like the bible and what not actually are making people paranoid about The End. All I think this 2012 nonsense is, is a psychological.... I dont know a word for it. But this matter is simply exaggerated upon too much.

But see, even IF (and that's a big if, might I add) we where to somehow mutate, it would be nearly imperceptible. There's a reason humans have stayed the same since the times of Christ. The mutation theory is interesting, but nearly moot. Unless, say, there were some freak coincidence mutation in every newborn child of generation 2012 that caused them to be highly aggresive, or something of the sort, and they killed us off then killed each other off, the human race wont end because of a mutation any time soon.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well if we evolve that is HIGHLY unlikely. It takes billions of years for the terrain to change so much that we have to evolve to adapt to our surroundings. we are basically just a few thousand years old. Yes I am using the term thousand lightly. By that I mean some 100,000 years old. And if a mutation WERE to occur I am pretty sure that because of society the kids are going to be deemed "abominations" and Im sure that we would have to kill them. Yes we have done this before in the "old days" and we are still basically the same. We still like to watch people fight like the gladiator days. But instead of people fighting to the death we watch people half naked beat the crap out of his opponent using more "disciplined" techniques. So I really dont know why you are afraid because again we are still basically the same as before

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
And if a mutation WERE to occur I am pretty sure that because of society the kids are going to be deemed "abominations" and Im sure that we would have to kill them.
Why would we have to kill them? The days of religious superstitions are over, and if anything, they'd probably be regarded as something to strive for since they'd be better adapted than we are to the changes, considering this ridiculous conspiracy was true. Which it isn't.

Yes we have done this before in the "old days" and we are still basically the same.
How are we still the same? I think we've actually made a lot of progress and don't go killing people with insane mathematical skills(575775875+4725257= they say it almost instantly) or other abilities instead of thinking they're the devil. We've progressed much farther than yelling "Witch!" at the sight of someone with impressive traits.

We still like to watch people fight like the gladiator days. But instead of people fighting to the death we watch people half naked beat the crap out of his opponent using more "disciplined" techniques.
Half naked sounds so barbaric. If you're talking about MMA, then I hope you're well versed in it, otherwise that argument will fall on you fast. There are plenty of rules and while it may seem gladiator-ish, it is safer than boxing. For example:

If someone's knocked out in boxing, they actually give him/her time to partially recover and fight with their "heart" at that point. And it happens until they cannot get up after a 10 count. At the first sign of being knocked out in MMA, the fight ends, thus preventing further brain damage. Take a look at the difference between Mark Coleman(MMA) and Ali(Boxing). You tell me which one's the gladiator sport in terms of being deadly.

/tangent

Zomg I just noticed that you like astronomy too Zero Beat.

Anyways, about the evolution/mutation thing. Like I said before, it wo0uld be nearly imperceptible if a change in human physiology occured, mainly because the need to evolve has been rendered mostly obsolete, with ground breaking advances in medicine and technology. In fact, scientists have recently discovered that they can actually giude lightning with the assistance of lasers. I read it somewhere in my science textbook, I'll edit a link for proof in later.

All right, found it.

Lasers guiding lightning

About the Cygnus X-3 thing, I did some more research. The mutations could happen, but they would still be nearly imperceptible, as they allegedly take place in mindset.

Did these cygnets, as Cygnus X-3’s strange particles became known, cause gene mutations, leading eventually to the development of a complex mindset, including symbolic art and the first organized societies towards the end of the last Ice Age?
They wouldn't be physical mutations, only mental. And an evolution only in mindset doesn't really count as the formation of a new species, IMO. I say this because, if mutations were to be the end of the human race, it would most likely be that we would evolve into something else and transcend humanity, but this kind of mutation doesn't seem to be happening.

Also,

Since the discovery in the 1920s that all types of radiation can cause gene mutations, scientists have wondered what role high energy cosmic rays might have played in human evolution. However, it was an idea destined never to find favour among geneticists, who could determine no hard evidence that the background flux of cosmic rays might have had any noticeable effect on human cells.
My opinion being, that in 2012, no catastrophic mutation caused by Cygnus X-3 will happen that will end the human race. If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't happen specifically in '12.

Source.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Why would we have to kill them? The days of religious superstitions are over, and if anything, they'd probably be regarded as something to strive for since they'd be better adapted than we are to the changes, considering this ridiculous conspiracy was true. Which it isn't.

How are we still the same? I think we've actually made a lot of progress and don't go killing people with insane mathematical skills(575775875+4725257= they say it almost instantly) or other abilities instead of thinking they're the devil. We've progressed much farther than yelling "Witch!" at the sight of someone with impressive traits.

Half naked sounds so barbaric. If you're talking about MMA, then I hope you're well versed in it, otherwise that argument will fall on you fast. There are plenty of rules and while it may seem gladiator-ish, it is safer than boxing. For example:

If someone's knocked out in boxing, they actually give him/her time to partially recover and fight with their "heart" at that point. And it happens until they cannot get up after a 10 count. At the first sign of being knocked out in MMA, the fight ends, thus preventing further brain damage. Take a look at the difference between Mark Coleman(MMA) and Ali(Boxing). You tell me which one's the gladiator sport in terms of being deadly.

/tangent
Well there is wrestling (fake of course) there is boxing, MMA, Sumo Wrestling. Basically almost every fighting sport has some kind of nakidness. And now I can vaguely remember on the new someone killing someone else in a fighting sport. People have died in fighting sports its natural.

.Marik

is a social misfit
The "apocalypse" so frequently talked about will probably not happen on this specific date, there's no conclusive evidence suggesting otherwise.

The way humans are treating the earth, we could cause extreme environmental damage and we'll be subsequently exterminated shortly afterwords. But this will take hundreds of years at the very least.

Aliens or some foreign invasion? It's more probable then the Sun burning out in the timespan of four years and destroying everything along with it.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
The mutations could happen, but they would still be nearly imperceptible.
Ok...

If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't happen specifically in '12.
This here bothers me... If we cannot notice it...how do we know it never happened?

*not finished*

Well, I mean, we can't notice it, because they prolly won't be these huge groundbreaking changes in the human mind. If there was this huge increase or change in the mind in '12, like a 200 IQ point increase for the average human, then we would notice. But the only time something somewhat like this has happened was in the Neolithic Revolution, and in the Rennesaince. The N.R., maybe isn't a good example, because people allegedly only learned to plant and harvest. And the Renessaince wasn't really an increase in IQ, but it was just a huge reinterest in the sciences and the like. But the capacity for that was always there, it was just unused.

A real mindset mutation would be, like I said, something along the lines of IQ increase. But for it to actually seem like a genetic change, and not an "unlocking of potential", so to speak, it would have to happen in an early age, such as in babies.

All of this is, of course, IMO. I hope you see my point and understand. I did my best to explain.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok so Id thought Id point out a few other theories on what could happen (that seem plausible to me)

We can be hit by a meteorite. If one big enough comes then we could all die. I mean look at the crater in Arizona. That thing is HUGE. Imagine if one bigger than that comes. I dont think thats impossible. But I wouldnt say exactly likely because itll most likely burn up in the atmosphere

Another is lets say a Global Pandemic. I will give an example. Lets say we got HIV. Then lets say it mutates becoming transmittable. It would basically mean almost the end of times (I say almost because there is the possibility of scientists coming up with a vaccine). I mean look at H1N1. Its killed alot already but it hasnt become big enough to kill everybody now but scientists still fear for it though. The more people become infected the more die.

I can also not rule out of the possiblity of a supervolcano. Look at Pompeii. The volcano there killed thousands. Why? Well mostly because they didnt know what a volcano was back then. They thought it was the "Gods" punishing them for something. Scientists say that a supervolcano such as that one is bound to happen about every 2000 years. And last time that volcano exploded was near 2000 years ago.
Although we COULD consider Yellow Stone as a supervolcano too. It created some of the largest fires in history and also some of the hardest ones to put out. It burned down a whole lot of acres and lots of animals died in the fire and I think humans died too in the explosion too.

Well thats all I can think of that COULD be plausible.

Roacherman, those are all very plausible and realistic theories, but I think we're beggining to forget the main idea here: What could happen in 2012. Could all of that happen coincidentially in '12? And, as someone before me mentioned, the calendar doesn't end in 2012. The calendar was designed as a cycle. That is, it simply starts anew. Maybe the Mayas based this on some huge celestial event that happens, but it's not necessarily catastrophic.

Source.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
And by a celestial event what do you mean by that? We can go through some sort of mutation, we will see an important planet, etc?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Of course it isn't true. It's Mayan scripture twisted into an overused plot device.

Interview with Bob Makransky said:
Interviewer: What is the significance of the Dec. 21, 2012 date in the Mayan calendar, or your intuitive sense of it as a Mayan priest. There was a program about it on the History channel, referring to the Doomsday in several cultures coinciding on this date. Is this a passage into a new way of life, rather than an end? What can you tell people about this fast-approaching date?

Bob Makransky: Nothing is going to happen in 2012. There is no Mayan prophecy about 2012. In addition to the Chol Qij the Mayans have various other calendar counts of lesser mantic importance. One of these is the Long Count, which is a continuous count in days since August 9th, 3114 BCE. The Long Count will reset to zero-zero-zero-zero-zero on December 21, 2012. But this is just a major calendar change – their equivalent of Y2K – with no more spiritual significance than the change of millenium had for us. This 2012 thing is being touted by some non-Mayans as a kind of New Age version of the Rapture: a miraculous transformation of human consciousness which sweeps humanity up into the clouds to escape the coming tribulation. But things don’t happen that way in real life. If there is a fundamental transformation in human consciousness, the way it will probably occur is that the environment and civilization will deteriorate over the next few decades. And then people will draw together and open their hearts to one another, as they do in the face of any natural catastrophe such as an earthquake or flood. When people lose their faith in the system and start listening to their own hearts is when the system will change.
[1]

It's effectively a Mayan Y2K, a resetting of a cycle. So not only does the Mayan calendar not even support this happening, there are other Mayan calendars as well! 2012 is based upon the Long Count. [2] There is another Mayan calendar, the Haab', as well, (plus the Tzol'kin mentioned in [2]) with an unlucky period called the Uayeb. The Uayeb period falls in 2012 from 3/28 to 4/1. [3] Why doesn't it fall on 12/21? Are the Mayans contradicting themselves? Or does 2012 not mean what it was though to? And since when are we supposed to trust ancient, dead religions for information?

2012 may seem like a scary thing with how much it's overused as a plot device in books and movies, but with a little reading on the Mayan calendar system, it means nothing at all. Saying that there's a possibility of a solar flare coincidentally happening means nothing when there's nothing to support something bad happening on 2012.

[1] http://www.whatismagic.com/mayan-sh...-–-aboutcom-interview-with-bob-makransky.html
[2] http://2012talk.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/the-tzolkin-pronounced-chol-kin/
[3] http://2012.tribe.net/thread/65e129c2-be95-4957-967a-075886d068cc

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Of course it isn't true. It's Mayan scripture twisted into an overused plot device.

[1]

It's effectively a Mayan Y2K, a resetting of a cycle. So not only does the Mayan calendar not even support this happening, there are other Mayan calendars as well! 2012 is based upon the Long Count. [2] There is another Mayan calendar, the Haab', as well, (plus the Tzol'kin mentioned in [2]) with an unlucky period called the Uayeb. The Uayeb period falls in 2012 from 3/28 to 4/1. [3] Why doesn't it fall on 12/21? Are the Mayans contradicting themselves? Or does 2012 not mean what it was though to? And since when are we supposed to trust ancient, dead religions for information?

2012 may seem like a scary thing with how much it's overused as a plot device in books and movies, but with a little reading on the Mayan calendar system, it means nothing at all. Saying that there's a possibility of a solar flare coincidentally happening means nothing when there's nothing to support something bad happening on 2012.

[1] http://www.whatismagic.com/mayan-sh...-–-aboutcom-interview-with-bob-makransky.html
[2] http://2012talk.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/the-tzolkin-pronounced-chol-kin/
[3] http://2012.tribe.net/thread/65e129c2-be95-4957-967a-075886d068cc

^Quoted For Truth :)

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Except you didn't quote it silly... ;)

EDIT: OK now you quoted hehe...

We all know that 2012 is BS... But if the idea proved true what could possibly happen that day?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
A flu pandemic, a large hadron collider, nanotechnology, a religious apocalypse, a nuclear accident or genetic modifications, just to name a few. [1]

I might be able to take the 2012 doomsdayers more seriously if they could say something deeper than something- anything- bad happening.

[1] http://survive2012.com/index.php/2012possibilities.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom