• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP XI [Above The Sky Are Lies]

Status
Not open for further replies.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Word Count: 2,357 Words

When Jam said that this topic was "wide open" [how punny] I hope he meant it. My adherence to the prompt is well... Well it's what it is. You'll see. I hope other people feel differently about it the way I do [which is to say that I think it is singér'd on]. Anywho, I really really enjoyed writing this one. So I hope that it keeps you as entertained reading it, that I had writing it, if nothing else. Also, to anyone else who reads this, best of luck to you in the competition [except Vyse. Stop writing so good! (I jest of course)]

Above the Sky Are Lies

“I had that dream again.”

The flowing ends of maroon colored robes trailed the floor of the expansive hallway. Glancing down momentarily, the aged man saw the pewter and white shade of his beard and hair. The servant’s work was of the finest degree. In haste he jerked his head up forward, thoughts creeping from the shadows of his mind.

“It was like I could fly, more weightless than the air itself.”

Approaching two monolithic oak doors, he removed his slender hands from under the drag of his robe. Pushing them forward, he thrust the two doors open simultaneously.

“I danced around the twinkling sky dew in the ocean of royal purples.”

The rest was of his thoughts on the subject matter were drowned out of his mind by the bustling chatter from the seats upon seats of colleagues in the circular room. Continuing forward he could see the men he had studied, grown older, and wiser with. Two levels of seats occupied most of the space in the educational auditorium. The walls were lined with the finest stained glass, projecting every shade of color imaginable onto the center floor. The center of the room was little more than a slightly raised stage with a podium at its center; the religious tales etched in the stained glass windows projected their stories over this area.

A quick hush overcame the room, as all the men took attention to the single figure approaching the podium. Placing both hands on the edge of its top, the old man looked about the room, a proud yet stern look over his face. The last of the seemingly obligatory coughs finished and he cleared his throat,

“My friends, my colleagues, my teachers; I have summoned thee with great news of my latest research! For we have all toiled long in the pursuit of truth. Through day and night, whether tis under the beams of the sun, or the glow of the moon, our research has always been under us. Whether we are hunched over our manuscripts scribbling down notes, or bent down, taking in literature to supplement our own studies, we have always focused on that under us!”

He placed his left hand, open palmed toward the polished, reflective floor. He turned his body around the room, a smile over his face.

“But what of that- over us?” The pause was perfectly timed. He outstretched his right hand diagonally above him, open palmed like the left. The room stood quiet, but now more attentive.

“Though my accusations bold, I feel that there may be more above us than we have suspected!” the last raspy words escaped his lips and a quiet whispering hummed around the room.

“What if there was a world beyond the sky! Not one of angels and an all powerful God, but of darkness and other worlds like our own!” at that moment, the hissing fuse of murmurs exploded into chaotic yelling. The old man on center stage, peered his head down quietly for a moment. The outburst quickly quelled as a single man, in brown robes stood from the audience.

“Your claims are quite audacious, Veritas. What proof have you?”

The aged scientist, Veritas looked up again, “For I have looked at the heavens above-“

“By what do you mean heavens!?” He was cut off by another scientist in white garb. “If there is no heaven above us, where could it be!?” The rage in his voice was quite unmistakable.

“Do not take offense so hastily,” Veritas said calmly. “This is not necessarily a renouncement of my faith, but an expansive look at our world. With lenses upon lenses, I have explored the night sky to find shapes, orbs more specifically. They are half litten, and what I presume are half in shadow, much like our night and day. Could this similar shifting of time , be like our own? I say yes!”

Another eruption of sound came forth. Many figures took to their feet and abruptly exited the room. They had better things to do with their time, than listen to crackpot theories based on childlike observation. Of the three-fourths still left another figure in white rose to his feet and spoke.

“As a representative of the church, I cannot condone further ramblings of such blasphemy. Such talk exemplifies thinking that goes against the church’s teachings of the Almighty. Veritas, I can assure you that if you continue with such ideas, there will be consequences.”

Veritas’ face tightened into a frown. “Ignarus, again please do not mistake my research as repudiation of my faith."

Ignarus glowered silently for a moment. “I have ushered my warning.” After no further questions, Veritas ended his lecture. There was, sadly, no one left to speak with him or who wished to ask him questions. As he took a seat on the steps that led from the stage, he bowed his head in silence. Finishing the moment in remembrance of his now dead reputation, he paced back through the oak doors, down the hallway, and back outside to his home.

That night, he toiled endlessly at his newest contraption, multiple lenses put together to see very far away. He decided to name it a “vastoscope”, after the Italian word for “far”. Evening grew later into night and Veritas worked under candlelight.

“It is our sun…. that provides the light to the other world.” He spoke aloud as he wrote with his quill. He straightened up, pondering again. “Then why is it so dark, if the light is shining there?” He tapped his quill against the wooden desk, while rubbing his wrinkling forehead. “When light shines in our world, we see…. things…as… bri…ghter…..” Arms folded, unable to hold in the fatigue for any longer, Veritas slowly drifted asleep.

____________________​

“I’ve got it!” His head shot up from the desk, the candle long extinguished , the wick laying in a pool of wax which had drifted down the brass candleholder and onto the desk. Veritas moved from his desk, faster than he had in years, slamming open the shudders of his window. Looking outside the morning sun greeted him. He looked down at the roofs made of brick and mortar. It all made sense.

“There’s nothing for the light to shine off of!” He ran back to his desk, dunking his quill in ink. “The reason it is so dark, is because there is nothing for the light to reflect off of! Out there, it is just empty space! Vast amounts of empty space!” He ran down stairs, past the collections of books that had piled up, laced with dust, out into the city streets proclaiming what he had found. He came off as nothing more than a raving drunk to the few townspeople that populated the street this early.

“It came to me in a dream!” He proclaimed. “I was in the auditorium, looking down at the floors and saw my own reflection. All grew dark, and I jumped! Through the roof I went, past the clouds, past the sky! He exclaimed skipping down the cobblestone roads. “I drifted past the blue sky, and up into the blackness of the void space! There I could see little else than the sun itself! He rounded the town square yelling of his discovery. "From under my feet, I saw the polished floor again, and how it reflected the light of the sun!" He twirled about, in the center square, the find rekindling his youthful spark.

“My brethren! God doth not make his home within the clouds, but perhaps in a world far beyond it!”

____________________​

A month passed and Veritas furthered his research. With more word of his findings circulating the streets, Ignarus, whom with the rest of the scientific community rallied behind, as well as the church took immediate steps to silence Veritas’s words…

“Another dream.”

Similar crimson robes trudged through the corridors leading to the auditorium

“I swam through the emptiness, and visited the blue world I found two weeks ago.” It was so comprised of water, I swam right through it to the other side.”

Veritas sigh as he approached the same oak doors as before.

“Then I basked in the warmth of the light, floating in the void of as I took an afternoon nap.”

Pushing the door open, this time he was met with complete silence from the audience. The only sound came from the light patter of the rain outside against the panes of the stained glass. Upon the stage there were two podiums now. One was already occupied by Ignarus, who was waiting for Veritas to take the other. Veritas took his place and waited for Ignarus to speak.

“Veritas, you have been summoned today as a final warning from the church, as well as the scientific community. Your latest findings speak against the existence of the Almighty, something that undermines not only our sacred establishment, but also the basis of all science. What have you to say for yourself?” Ignarus’ face was cold, his words sharp as a dagger.

“My findings do not go against the church. I have reiterated many times, that perhaps heaven does not exist in the clouds, but somewhere in this empty space abov-“

The rain outside now began to hit against the window in greater frequency “So then you call all scriptures that speak of heaven a lie? You understand that such mockery against our holy book is punishable by death, yes. Through all things God exists. Because of him we have knowledge, the world, and scien-“

Veritas erupted, cutting Ignarus’ words “Can you truly say that a world where science is reduced to ‘because God is omnipotent’ is truth?! Is this what thinking has been reduced too? I know what I have seen. There is something more beyond the sky. I have seen what I believe to be other worlds through many lenses! Am I to believe that the very eyes God hath given me are lying to me?!” The splatters turned into hammering now, pounding on the windows. The clouded light from the glass cast a dark glow of deep, blackened color across the room. Veritas was breathing heavily by this point, his anger getting the better of him.

“Above our sky, there is something! Imagine what we could do if we were able to go there! Last night I dreamed of finding a world of pure water. I could swim through it! Imagine if we were able to realize these wildest of fanta-“

Ignarus interrupted once more “I’ll hear no more of this. It is apparent that you have confused truth, with the tricks of the devil. You may leave now. The church is forgiving, but it you have taken advantage of it's kindness."

Veritas slumped his head down for a moment, letting the anger settle within him. He could bear it no longer. He slammed his aged, fragile fist on the top of his podium. It was probably broken now. “No! I’ll hear no more of your idiotic speak! Is this what the church has come to!? How can you say that God reveals all that is truth, if you are so blinded by him!? You are not truth seekers! You are not scientists! You are Ignorant!” The hammering of the rain against the windows grew fiercer. A loud rumble of thunder rattled the window to the point of breaking. Shards of colored glass, littered the floor behind the back seats of the auditorium. Three windows had broken in all.

There were no more exchange of words. No more warnings. Ignarus left the auditorium silently, as did Veritas.

“Your holiness. He is… beyond salvation.”Ignarus spoke.

“Then bring divine punishment upon him.” The holy figurehead retorted.

Later the next evening, Veritas found himself tirelessly working on his research yet again. The only light in his house was the small candle that had now attached itself to the desk, because of the many tireless nights of work.

“Hard at work I see.” A voice came from behind Veritas. He calmed the scribbling of his quill, freezing with uncertainty. His back still hunched over, Veritas turned to the sight of Ignarus and two soldiers of the church.

“What do you want?” the old man snapped.

“I tried to warn you Veritas. The church has reached its limits.” The two soldiers slowly approached. Dropping his quill, the old man tried to move quickly but to no avail. Before he could fully stand, he was back in the chair, rope encircling his body. Veritas used all of his feeble strength to move, but the rope was taught. A third soldier appeared from the stairway, producing a torch.

“Ignarus.” The old man said meekly. “What If I’m right? What happens if what I say is truth. What if there are other worlds beyond ours? What if there is a void space above the sky?”

The holy figure closed his eyes for a moment and smirked, “Then God will spare your life.”

“You put too much faith in your God.”

“Do you have any last words Veritas?” Ignarus said.

“Yes, do you see that contraption over there? I put several lenses together to see far away. Look through it. That is my final wish.”

Abiding, Ignarus peered through the many lenses. Clearly, he saw a small red orb, half of it lighten, and the other half in shadow. He looked up and was quiet for a moment. He stumbled over the next sentence, “B…B….Br….Burn the house down.”

On the command the house was lit ablaze. The guards and Ignarus had all taken there exit leaving Veritas to reflect on his final thoughts. He peered out of his window and closed his eyes. He imagined himself floating up again, past the rooftops, past the clouds and the sky until the black space surrounded him. He danced around the twinkling dew up high above; his age did not hinder his movement. There were no forces holding him down. He again, found the blue planet and swam through it gleefully, and one last time, basked in the warmth of the sunlight…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom