• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Platform jab lock setup

Atire

Smash Apprentice
If someone is standing on a platform on top of you, short hop and N air them off of it. They will tumble down onto the ground and that is when you fully execute your jab lock. The N air also tends to shield poke, so it is probably the most useful setup out of the existing ones for a jab lock.

Note: This works on heavier character way better than on lighter ones. The heavier characters will fall down without being able to do a thing while the lighter ones will be able to escape it with ease. This is also an unexpected setup so most players won't have time to react.

Thank you for reading,

**I have done this before on people, good players too. This does work! I believe that Rohins has mentioned this before but no one listened to him >__>

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about if they shield the nair, and puts them into that tumbling animation?
Or do you actually hit them from a platform?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I'm thinking they shielded and got hit just far enough to tumble off the platform. That would be very cool. MBBs can do that a little bit too, but I like the sound of nair.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
lol this happened to me in a ditto vs a samus main from melee who has no real brawl knowledge, just that melee instinct. he naired me off BF side platform while i was in shield into ftilt tap reset to charge shot, it was amazing. haha.

HugS™

Smash Lord
lol this happened to me in a ditto vs a samus main from melee who has no real brawl knowledge, just that melee instinct. he naired me off BF side platform while i was in shield into ftilt tap reset to charge shot, it was amazing. haha.
LoL, not even I ever did that in melee with samus. Jesus.

Atire

Smash Apprentice
I know that Rohins found this before me but I discovered this on my own when I was playing a shiek and they n aired me off a platform. I thought that would work with Samus and it did. Thanks for the positive feedback. I like to base my Samus off of other characters, Snake, Shiek and Captain Falcon. If anyone plays me, they notice my Samus is very unique :D

tha_carter

Smash Ace
If theyre on a platform above you, id recommend up tilting instead. Faster, stronger, more shield stun, can also shield poke, and also leads into a job lock set up.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Is the utilt faster than a jump->nair?

Also I don't see how this forces them into a jab lock setup at high percentages. The nair would just knock them in the air, not on the ground.

At any percentage it would cause them to fall if they had the shield up though. I can believe that

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I think it is safe to assume that they shield the utilt to lead to the jab lock. Otherwise, it just pops them up on the platform above you, correct? And to Lance, I think it is, the time it takes to do a short hop is slightly more than just doing utilt.

Also, which gets shielded more, utilt or nair? And how do you get this set up? I would think if they decided to land on the platform above you that they would either have no idea what kind of areas that Samus can control, or they already plan that you will do something like this and try to counterattack, for example MKs dair.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
If anyone plays me, they notice my Samus is very unique :D
yup. i bet its unique just like mine. and serris's. and xyros and tudors and rohins's and dryns and cherrys and ismars and tacs and jasonas and

EDIT: here's the vid, my bad, its not a nair off platform, it's ff fair to utilt to ftilt tap reset to charge shot to dash attack to jab combo to footstool KO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWls945EII&fmt=18

thanks xoxokev for the vid

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I didn't feel like making a new thread so I'll just bump this one.

Who here knows what a TJL is? TJL stands for "True Jab Lock". The idea is knocking a foe onto the ground before their stun is gone and jab locking them on the landing frame so they cannot tech (this also forces a get up).

Anyways, I have tested to much today. I don't wont to test Samus, but I do want to inform you guys about this so you can work on it. I doubt it is true but here is an example of what I am talking about.
(Bowser at 11%) u-tilt> jab the langing frame (This also forces a get up.)

Top Bottom