• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Post-Apocalyptic Termina

Spire

III
BRoomer
I know I introduced the concept art in the Zelda Project thread, but I've decided to make an individual thread to the subject, because it relates to many, many aspects regarding numerous titles in the series.

- INTRODUCTION -

Now.. what became of Termina in the Adult Timeline? Link never went off to save it, and so it was inherently destroyed. Now give that world a good number of centuries to heal and rebuild. Was the entire planet destroyed, or just the country of Termina - or even less, was it simply damaged on a mass scale?

I've long since imagined a game chronicling a re-venture into this land along the Adult Timeline. For instance, what if a third part was added to the Oracle series (Seed of Courage aside) where the Triforce warped Link to Termina to parallel the alternate lands of Holodrum and Labrynna, which don't get me wrong, I do not believe are actual parallel worlds to Hyrule like Termina is. This is of course, if you are willing to cast aside the assumption that the Great Sea in Phantom Hourglass is actually a flooded Termina. Or to avoid such troubles, simply base the game somewhere else along the timeline. Here's original concept art of what I believe would have happened to Termina:

- SYNOPSIS -

I. Geographical Build
II. Cultural Survival
III. Majora
IV. Fate

I. This world is one suspended in an infinite sky, orbiting a weak gravitational pull birthed from the collision between the moon and the planet. Just as Hyrule was subject to an apocalypse that left it waterbound, its counterpart Termina was forced into a skybound world to regather itself. This would further emphasize the polarized relations that these two worlds share; growing more and more opposite. Hyrule's name was buried beneath the ocean, adopting the new title of "The Great Sea", so Termina too will have lost its name, claiming "The Great Skylands".

The countless floating islands orbit the core, or what is now known as the "sun" of the planet, which having weakened in power, cannot seem to weave the land back together; exerting just enough energy to create a gravitational field to keep this semi-planet intact. A large shell-rock, now dubbed as the "moon" orbits closely around the core, blocking light and creating the illusion of night. Normal sunlight from the planet's real sun no longer penetrates the atmosphere, as it is coated with far too much debris. All light is generated by the core (sun). With the exposed core of the planet, it serves as an equal to the now-absent sun, providing enough heat to breathe life into the world. Oxygen is definitely abundant. But alas, Zelda isn't about science - it's about the imagination.

II. One would think that as many customs that survived the Great Flood of Hyrule, so too would survive the crashing of the moon in Termina. Comparing OoT and WW, a lot has changed, and an incredible amount of tradition and culture has been erased. The same could be said for Termina. The survivors probably knew that Majora's Mask was behind the apocalypse, so the mask-based tradition might diminish for the sake of preventing such an occurrence again.

III. As for Majora actually surviving. I think it should and should not survive, and I will explain how this happens. Majora was essentially a virus, looking for a host to corrupt in order to spread its evil and destroy Termina. If this is the aftermath of its reign, then perhaps it still exists at large, yet ever-so powerless. I think that Majora has actually become part of the world, rather than a single inhabitant. Link would have to work on healing the entire world, rather than a select few individuals, which means a return of the Song of Healing, and a larger and more effective purpose for it. Perhaps to avoid the musical-focus of this game, a single instrument (in league with the Horse Call from TP) plays the song when activated.

I see this world as a fusion between the spirit of Majora and the body of Termina and the Moon.

Naturally, all living organisms want to grow; to become more than what they currently are. We are more than what we were 10 years ago, and so we will continue to leech on the world to grow into more than what we are right now. I see Majora as a fiend that fully embodies this concept, but with zero morals. It does not care about anyone or anything aside from itself, and so it will do what it can to destroy the entire world in order to expand its being, and if the means necessary are breaking from its physical shell to flood the energy plane - which would consequently effect everything - then it will.

I see Majora as an introverted galaxy just itching to expand and consume until it becomes all that there is. Majora is not human and so it does not share the morals of humanity. It is not any type of creature - it is a certain type of concentrated energy, and just as Termina functions oppositely of its sister Hyrule, so too does Majora function oppositely of its world Termina. A world that is trying to grow technologically will be undone by a hungry fiend that grows by destroying others.

IV. It's interesting to note that, with the concept of "fate", Termina, as it is so named, is supposed to be destroyed. Majora is living out the purpose of this world, but Link is the true villain, as he disrupts the nature of Termina. The blasphemic Triforce markings throughout the Stone Tower Temple suggest that Termina hates the sacred symbol of Hyrule, and furthermore, Hyrule itself, and that may be because Termina wants to die, yet Hyrule won't let it. Hyrule interferes with Termina's suggested fate of self-termination by sending its hero, Link to save it. Hyrule is an elitist queen, while Termina is its oppressed sister not fit for the throne. To keep up its image of a preservering and upholstered kingdom, Hyrule will fashion itself to be the savior of the whole world. Ganondorf sees this flaw and wants to undo it. He wants the world to see that Hyrule is not absolute and that it can be toppled. He even succeeded before, until divine intervention washed his dreams away with The Great Flood.

I see Ganondorf as not a figure of dark contempt, but rather one that opposes the hallowed visage of the land which he lives in, and one simply with a different idea of how his country should be governed. Being a Gerudo, oppressed already with his desertbound people, he knows the struggles of being in the lower-eschelon of the social hiearchy, and he knows that Hyrule - as an entity - naturally works to raise itself higher and higher above all else. He wants to undo this, to balance the land, and I completely agree with him on this. Similarly, Termina wants to destroy itself so that it may no longer resemble Hyrule, but again through fate, it will forever mirror Hyrule to some extent, as the two suffer world-changing apocalypses.

Just as the Triforce and the Cardinal resemble balance, so too will the worlds grow in that direction, and their denizens will help to carry out these fates.

Thoughts? What do you believe would have happened to Termina, and do you think we'll get to revisit the land in some form or another in a future installment in the series?

Mewter

Smash Master
I like these ideas. :)

All light is generated by the core (sun). With the exposed core of the planet, it serves as an equal to the now-absent sun, providing enough heat to breathe life into the world. Oxygen is definitely abundant. But alas, Zelda isn't about science - it's about the imagination.
Lol. I was just about to say "but how does the core generate as much heat and energy with the crust shed?" Oh well. :laugh: Maybe this should take place very shortly after it is destroyed(maybe three or four years?)

How does grass grow, and what about the water from the seas and oceans?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I like these ideas. :)

Lol. I was just about to say "but how does the core generate as much heat and energy with the crust shed?" Oh well. :laugh: Maybe this should take place very shortly after it is destroyed(maybe three or four years?)

How does grass grow, and what about the water from the seas and oceans?
Well just as you quoted, I said, "Zelda isn't about science - it's about the imagination," but of course, I've backed that up with somewhat scientific support. This world is skybound, so there's an abundance of oxygen and hydrogen, hence, the formation of water. It often rains in the world, snowing in the upper atmosphere, and melting to water as it falls, ultimately evaporating into steam as it nears the core.
I love this idea.

Work for Nintendo.
I'd certainly love to.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
The pic reminds me of Land to Heaven, an area off of One Piece: UA..!!

Anyway, this was very interesting and a great read, but I have a few questions if LoZ returns to Termina.

First, if Link was sent to this world, what would he use to defeat Majora? Unless you want to start the game with the Master Sword already in your possession..

Second, if there are people, would they still be technologically advanced, or will Majora have already destroyed that by then?

Last, if dungeons exist in this world, would Majora have items that would help you get through it?

It seems really iffy to start this w/o a full set of items.. :(

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you SWF: Project Zelda, Part II.

This is some great stuff, Spire.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The pic reminds me of Land to Heaven, an area off of One Piece: UA..!!

Anyway, this was very interesting and a great read, but I have a few questions if LoZ returns to Termina.

First, if Link was sent to this world, what would he use to defeat Majora? Unless you want to start the game with the Master Sword already in your possession..

Second, if there are people, would they still be technologically advanced, or will Majora have already destroyed that by then?

Last, if dungeons exist in this world, would Majora have items that would help you get through it?

It seems really iffy to start this w/o a full set of items.. :(
Use your imagination.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you SWF: Project Zelda, Part II.

This is some great stuff, Spire.
Well thanks, but I think we should do something a little closer and more personal for the second project. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now ;)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Agreed.

This is just amazing Spire. How long did you it take to think of all this?
It's been an idea that I've gone back to a number of times over the past few months. I first posted it in the original Zelda thread on who-knows-what-page, but it has been a mental WIP for quite a while now.

If I could write in Japanese, I'd send this to the real Nintendo, not NoA.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Well thanks, but I think we should do something a little closer and more personal for the second project. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now ;)
Exactly. If I can't sputter out Termina mythology for SWF Project Zelda 2, then it just wouldn't be fair.

...actually, now that I think of it there's an idea in there.

Whereas SWF Project Zelda 1 is set in the distant future, perhaps SWF Project Zelda 2 can be in the distant past.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh, so basically, Link could do whatever he wants to (or we want to) to save Termina??
No. I was hoping you'd be able to figure out that this world is perfectly capable of sporting dungeons and items and bosses and creatures and towns, etc, etc, etc. They'd all take place on different islands.
Exactly. If I can't sputter out Termina mythology for SWF Project Zelda 2, then it just wouldn't be fair.

...actually, now that I think of it there's an idea in there.

Whereas SWF Project Zelda 1 is set in the distant future, perhaps SWF Project Zelda 2 can be in the distant past.
Well like I said, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
No. I was hoping you'd be able to figure out that this world is perfectly capable of sporting dungeons and items and bosses and creatures and towns, etc, etc, etc. They'd all take place on different islands.
Oh, ok! I thought Majora was gonna be a b**** and ruin every possible way to defeat him, guess not, huh?? :laugh::laugh:

Ok, how about if Majora would act like Dethl from LoZ: LA and maybe transform into some of the bosses you beat already in the dungeons or maybe from Adult Link's past...during the final fight??

Smashsamurai

Smash Cadet
Not bad. I like the concept.

But wait, what if destroyed termina is actually the twil.... nevermind. That wouldn't surprise me though.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
If majora would corrupt all of termina the people would also become more animalistic and the entire game would just be TP 2.0. I see majora as a curse on termina for going against the triforce, I imagine that majora would let itself be hit by the moon since it served its purpose and no longer need to exsit. As for the people of termina: The gorons would have frozen to death except for Biggoron and medigoron, the zoras died of pollution, the dekus become hunter gathers and eat anything they can find including people, milk road is the olny place food and milk are attainable, and Clock Town would olny have small pices of itslef scatered everywhere.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Well, it's not likely. Termina was obliterated (in the child timeline).
Twilight Princess can only exist in the timeline where link went to Termina and saved it, since Ganon dies in Wind Waker in the other one, whereas he also dies in Twilight Princess.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
As long as traveling from island to island isnt as tedious as changing the frickin wind direction and watching tv while you travel for 10 minutes, I think this game has the potential to be awesome. MM's story was so intricate that i think revisiting it as an adult would be great, but who do you think the antagonist would be, were you thinking ganon, trying to prove that hyrule has the ability to let worlds die?

haha and according to the theory ganon would technically be the protagonist, in a manner of course.

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
But the only reason link`s fate lead him to terminia is navi, and the skull kid ( possesed by the mask) and the only reason the mask bothered to attack him and steel his horse is because he thinks link is the person a long time ago killed him ( if you read the short story in the back of MM's comic book there is a beast wich the stranger tricks and kills making the beasts armour into the mask) This person is belived to be the fierce diety mask's spirit ( noticing the resembalence to it and link) soooo if navi never went missing the majoras mask would have never known this fierce diety look a like was alive (baring in mind the mask is SURE that link is this character that slayed him long ago) so if link never entered the forest thee mask would of never been the wiser and none of the apocalypse woulde of happened ........right? .......close? .............way of??

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
But the only reason link`s fate lead him to terminia is navi, and the skull kid ( possesed by the mask) and the only reason the mask bothered to attack him and steel his horse is because he thinks link is the person a long time ago killed him ( if you read the short story in the back of MM's comic book there is a beast wich the stranger tricks and kills making the beasts armour into the mask) This person is belived to be the fierce diety mask's spirit ( noticing the resembalence to it and link) soooo if navi never went missing the majoras mask would have never known this fierce diety look a like was alive (baring in mind the mask is SURE that link is this character that slayed him long ago) so if link never entered the forest thee mask would of never been the wiser and none of the apocalypse woulde of happened ........right? .......close? .............way of??
Wait a minute, and correct me if I'm wrong here (mostly because Im a noob to the series) and I read that comic, but isnt the comic technically non-canon? I thought things like comics didn't fit into the main series? Considering I read the rest of it, and there somethings taken out of Majora's Mask in the comic (again correct me if I'm wrong)

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
ok so u have the majoras mask comic right? well at the very back there is a short story on how the mask was made. i like to belive that it follows it but eith er way can be right not [proven right or rong so ya

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute, and correct me if I'm wrong here (mostly because Im a noob to the series) and I read that comic, but isnt the comic technically non-canon? I thought things like comics didn't fit into the main series? Considering I read the rest of it, and there somethings taken out of Majora's Mask in the comic (again correct me if I'm wrong)
Well then if you have the comic (u r awsome lol) also it says in the back of it the story of how the mask was made u can choose to belive it fits in there ( like me cuz it answers many unanswerd questions about the history of the game) or if you dont wanna thats fine to because it hasnt been proven right either way it could be right or just sumthing 4 fun :)

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
And now you triple-posted. Careful, buddy. :chuckle:

But no, I dont think the comic is Canon. There is a lot in the comic that contradicts from the actual game. Also, in Zelda Wiki, they basically state it as non-canon. And Zelda Wiki knows best!

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
lol ya so do you know how to make a thread like by its self? or does the site do it automaticly?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well then if you have the comic (u r awsome lol) also it says in the back of it the story of how the mask was made u can choose to belive it fits in there ( like me cuz it answers many unanswerd questions about the history of the game) or if you dont wanna thats fine to because it hasnt been proven right either way it could be right or just sumthing 4 fun :)
Yeah I know about that. The dragon was in this place with no time, and this guy comes in with bongos and starts banging them bringing time back again right? (again noob talking :chuckle:)

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
the one i have says that if he kills the rageon type thing (presumably majora?) he will be invicable of sumthing like that so he killes the dragon and carves the mask i dunno maybe you have like a different comic at the back cuz i dont remember the bongos part lol (but sounds interesting :))

finalark

SNORLAX
... Spire, you and I must share the same imagination.

Okay kids, story time.

I love Dungeons and Dragons, for reasons that I will state for another time. For those of you know don't know the first thing about DnD, I'll try to keep the terminology to a minnimum. Okay, so I once had a great idea for a Dungeons and Dragons game in which the Earth was shattered into hundreds of pieces by a scientific accident created by man. The remains of the world (called Shards) rotated around a centeral core of gravity. The game would be heavy exlporation based in which the players were to go on adventures on various shards using steampunk airships as they try to uncover the mysteries of the new world.

Unfortuently, I only have three players. The first one has the attention span of a lab rat, the second one only cares about killing things, and the third needs some sort of logical explanation for everything. He jabbed way to many holes into the premise, including (but not limited to):

- Why is there air?
- Why have we suddenly gone back to steampunk technology?
- Why does the gravity work that way?

I couldn't come up with any awnsers that satisfied him, so this campaign went nowhere.

tl;dr: SPIRE WENT INTO MY MIND AND TOOK AN IDEA I HAD AND ZELDAFIED IT!

Spire

III
BRoomer
^ hahahaha holy mackerel, I guess I did!

I would happily play your campaign if we had some freeware online D&D program.

rhan

Smash Hero
Time travel is some confusing ****....

If Link saved Hyrule already while as an Adult and goes back into a child THEN go to Terminia and saves the town there, wouldn't things be normal as in both regions saved?

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman

If Link saved Hyrule already while as an Adult and goes back into a child THEN go to Terminia and saves the town there, wouldn't things be normal as in both regions saved?
I think he was saying If he didnt save hyrule, but also just like ganon the majoras mask spirit could possably come back and with no link there he could try again ( just like the legend of the great flood from WW) Hope that might elp :)

Spire

III
BRoomer

Split timeline. After Link defeats Ganon in OoT, he is sent back to being a child, yes? Aonuma has confirmed that WW takes place at least a century after Ganon's defeat, whereas MM follows Link traveling back to being a child, and TP a century after that. WW and TP exist in parallel timelines. OoT effectively split time in two.

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
how on earth did the happy mask salse men get his hands on the mask?

Also I know this is an old theory now but, there is something fishy about this and it might just be true so I wanted to bring it back up again I am of course refuring to this

they talk about the dark people who made the mask... twili? and only tael and tatl know so much about this tribe so is it not possible that they are from the twilight relm aswell?

Or maybe majoras mask was refoged to make the fused shadows or is atleast part of it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Here's my theory..

Since most things in Hyrule and Termina have counterparts of sorts, I believe that The Fused Shadow is Majora's Mask's counterpart. "The Dark Interlopers" of a now extinct tribe were most likely from a tribe that, well, does not exist ca. OoT, and who is the only mentioned one? The Sheikah. What symbol do we find on the throne in the Twilight Palace? The Sheikah Eye Symbol. What element did the Sheikah uphold? Shadow. See where I'm going with this?

Now in Termina, no one knows who made Majora's Mask, but we do know that an ancient (now extinct) tribe there once used it for dark magic. I've said previously in another thread, but I'll do so again: I believe that whoever the Ikana were, they were the counterparts of the Sheikah. Why? Because both are the only tribes missing from their lands ca. OoT and MM, and both lived in canyons where there was a: well, a music box-oriented house, and a graveyard. Kakariko Village's Terminan counterpart is most likely Ikana Valley for the above stated reasons. Also, since TP retconned Hyrule from OoT, Nintendo showed us how Kakariko is really supposed to look: like a dusty, orange-brown rocky canyon, just like Ikana Canyon.

So, I'll refresh the parallels:
Kakariko Village // Ikana Canyon
Sheikah // Ikana
Fused Shadow // Majora's Mask

The only question that remains is: if the Sheikah were banished to the Twilight Realm, what happened to the Ikana in Termina? There really is no real answer to that.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Maybe, considering that Hyrule is being brought up by the spirits and goddesses and consciously cared for, while Termina was neglected by the goddesses and it's four guardians all but abandoned it, when the Sheikah were banished the Ikana were not.

Rather, because no one was in Hyrule to mirror the Ikana, the Ikana died out after a few years (maybe even generations?). I think t his is simply more likely, just because it's less complicated. The other option is that because the Sheikah were relocated, the Ikana were relocated indirectly (like when you move an object away from a mirror, the reflected image is moved in a similar manner). I don't like this one as much because to Termina, it's just being messed with instantaneously for no apparent reason.

However, if the Ikana were relocated, where? I think that they might have been shoved into the Twilit realm as well as the Sheikah. This one's just a thought; I'm not going to back it up unless someone is interested or challenges it.

:034:

Spire

III
BRoomer
You know, I actually thought about that once. It's totally farfetched and there's absolutely no proof, but perhaps after all, both the Sheikah and the Ikana became the Twili. The Twilight architecture somewhat resembles Stone Tower Temple in its vertical alignment and various hieroglyphics (as seen on the walls of the Palace of Twilight, Zant's Robe, Midna's skin, etc, etc), yet like I said, the Sheikah Eye Symbol appears on the throne of the Palace of Twilight and (I forgot to mention this before) on the back of the Fused Shadow. Combine the Sheikah and Ikana influences, and you get what may be the Twili.

Top Bottom