• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tricky ways to Setup Kills with ROB

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
Alright well we all know our little robot buddy doesn't have the easiest time killing. Even though he has moves with some decent power in them like Fsmash, Nair, Bair, and Usmash, landing them in the heat of battle is easier said then done. Especially when it comes to Usmash, most ROBs consider it a blessing if they can land that at all during the course of a tournament. ROB's killing problems are not helped by the fact that in most matchups, you'll have to spam some of the first 3 moves to survive, meaning that they'll be stale come killing time (for example, vs. Game and Watch you'll need to use Fsmash and Bair for spacing, meaning Nair will usually be your only reliable killer).

So I figured I should probably try and help the ROB boards out a bit today and list some of the more reliable ways that you can trick your opponent into falling for your kill moves. The higher up the ladder of Professional Smash you go, the less reliable these will be - because your opponents learn too fast, or they don't leave themselves open long enough for these to work. But fret not, because nobody is good enough to avoid everything =).

1. Dthrow!!!!
One of the cool things about ROBs Dthrow is that it's knockback never really increases with your opponents % like most other moves in the game. Fox's shine is a good example of this - go into training mode, pick Fox, and shine your opponent at 0%. They don't go very far at all...then set their damage to 999%. And hey, they go the exact same distance! That's why Shine was such a good move in Melee (when you could WD out of it) - a shine on a grounded opponent always had a guaranteed followup at any %. Sadly (or maybe it's a good thing, because Brawl has no hitstun X.x), unlike Fox's Shine, there IS a small increase in knockback. But...you'll find that even at 300% an unstaled Dthrow will not kill anyone on FD(even Jigglypuff). What use could such a ****ty move have? Well, it gets them in the air, of course! ROB is a pretty versatile air character, and a Nair or Bair is actually much easier to land when the opponent is above you then you'd think if you pull a Metaknight and bait an airdodge. Dthrow at 120% will put most opponents a little higher then the reach of your full jump + double jump. So, all you need to do is Dthrow, wait half a sec or so, jump up and bait the airdodge. If they use their double jump when they see you coming, Up-B will be your savior. Nair is really good in this situation because it's a great move for eating through airdodges. Go up next to your opponent, scare them into airdodging, and proceed to ****.

2. Falling Uair
This is dangerous against characters with really good vertical kill options (Snake, Olimar) because they won't be afraid to Utilt/Usmash you if they see you coming from above. Against other opponents, with enough trickery, this can be a great way to setup the rarely used but often wished for Usmash. Because this is Brawl, it's not a guaranteed combo (well maybe at low enough %s it is, but don't expect it to be a True Combo when it comes time for killing), but again, trickery is the name of the game. If you think they'll jump, jump and Nair them. If you think they'll airdodge, read their DI and running Usmash. If you think they'll sit there and accept it like the scared *****es they are, then ****.

3. Dair
There are 2 great things about Dair: 1. It has no lag as long as you make sure the hitbox of the moves comes out, 2. It has pretty decent hitstun as far as Brawl is concerned. This lets you use Dair in many creative ways that most ROBs don't use much. One, it's actually one of the better spikes in the game because you can run offstage, Dair, and then just move your control stick back towards the stage and land without lag. Against characters that like to recover from below (GaW, Marth, Toon Link, Luigi, Diddy, Zero Suit (if you miss the hug, you can hurry and hit her before she tethers all the way to the ledge, it looks so sexy), Kirby (pretty easy on him actually because his Up B doesnt auto ledgecling), Lucario, Olimar (same as ZSS)), this can be a guaranteed kill if you have good timing, and even if you flub it, you can move back to the stage without lag and do whatever you want when they get off the ledge. This can be better than hugging in situations where the opponent will make it back to the stage even if you grab the ledge (GaW does this a lot), or if they have a slowish recovery that can hit you once your ledge invinicbility runs out (Toon Link).

Another use of Dair can be found onstage. From around 90-110%, an onstage Dair links very nicely into an Usmash. It's a really hard move to land, but it's guaranteed out of a grounded footstool if you're good enough to get it. Or, if the opponent is stuck in lag or something and you want to go for something cool looking instead of charging an Fsmash or something boring, then do this!

4. Glide Tossed Gyro
Depending how far away from your opponent you are, a glide toss (where you land the gyro, of course) can actually lead to guaranteed kill moves. This is something I'm too lazy to take pictures and stuff for, so you'll just have to bear with me here. Using ROB as a unit of measurement...

3 ROBs away = Full Glide Toss to Usmash
2.5 ROBs away = Full Glide Toss to angled up Fsmash
1.5 ROBs away = Weak Glide Toss to angled up Fsmash

are the ones I use the most. They're actually pretty hard to land, but if you have a gyro in hand against a sitting duck opponent, go for it. The glide toss is pretty fast and goes pretty far, so you'll be able to surprise a few people the first few times you use it.

5. Down-tilt Lock
Did you know ROBs Down tilt has locking properties, just like Falco's laser, ICs Ice Blocks, Ness's Jab, and many other things? If your opponent ever lands on the ground when they MISS A TECH, (random tripping doesn't work for locks, they have to miss a tech), then you can chain them across the stage with Dtilts. Once you get them to the end (or however far you want to take them), then they're forced to getup in place where they're laying. This is time for you to charge your Fsmash and ****.

Locks like this are really hard to land though, so setting that up is a challenge in and of itself. A great way to get a lock started is to hit a shielding opponent off a platform. They'll enter a falling state, and on stages with low platforms like Battlefield, 99% of your opponents will miss the tech. If you ever have an opponent above you on a platform, run under them and Usmash. It sends a shielding opponent pretty far, and if they were close enough to the edge they'll fall off. Once they (hopefully) miss their tech, start the lock and end it with a kill move of choice.

At higher %s, this lock becomes REALLY hard to do because the Dtilt sends the opponent so far. The dtilt also loses locking properties after a certain %, which I don't feel like checking. So just be careful with it, don't get TOO greedy.
And that's all I feel like writing. Hope you all enjoyed this/found it useful.

- Stingers

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I think this is pretty informative and may be useful with some pictures in the ROB community guide. We definitely need a section in it for basic followups, setting up KOs, and the like.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
kinda old stuff, but useful I guess seeing as we don't even have a ROB guide anymore. We need an up to date one.

One of my favorite kills (after someone has been knocked far off the edge) is to just walk off the ledge, and as they're recovering, use your mid-air jump and Nair. (or something else, depending on their %.) This is like the definition of mindgames.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
We DO have a ROB guide- the ROB Community Guide. Please contribute to the ROB community guide, or just notice that it exists. Thank you.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
Maybe because it would be so much more useful if people actually read it and contributed to it?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the opponent getting hit by the gyro (if they run into fall on or get hit into it) when the gyro is already on the ground sets them up for a grab or any smash attack

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
I've been experimenting with the ditilt lock for a while now.
if for some stupid reason mansion is legal. you can dsmash and then jab lock all the way across the stage.
also good in teams with rob's dthrow -> ally footstool -> rob dtilt jablock

Sudai

Stuff here
Jam, that was one of the only ways to get a DTilt lock before. It's known and Mansion generally isn't legal so it doesn't even matter.

You'd be much better off with something more realistic like pushing someone off a platform when they're in their shield. Even that's not very realistic though because you act out of that and most people will either jump/attack/tech..still more viable than the Luigi's thing though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-air is a pretty ****ty setup for U-smash. The aerial ending lag of the attack is horrible and you're likely to get attacked out of it, or get the Up-smash airdodged anyway.

TheMike

Smash Lord
another thing about the dthrow that i often do is Dthrow > Usmash
it sometimes work because the player might think that u r going to do an aerial, then he air dodges. So, the up smash punishes that Air Dodge and can kill at decent percents

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Good thread.

My additions:

U-smash on shielding opponent whne they are above you on a platform

U-smash (or nair) on a shielding opponent and they'll often fall off the platform. Then you can f-smash 'em.

RAR up+b, early fast-falled bair to jumping nair to fast falled nair

My favorite mindgame. The RAR'd up+b gives you the momentum and height you need, and when you fast fall bair early (right under your opponent), it puts you in the perfect position to do a jumping nair. If they air dodged the bair, you hit them with this nair. Even better, if they air dodge the first nair, a fast falled nair immediately after should hit them. Win!

Unfortuantely, they've generally fallen a decent amount by thie time and are closer to the stage. :(

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Has anyone thought of doing a grab release (air) to fully charged (or weak) laser? I know they can jump or airdodge, but- if you save it until they are at a high percent, you might be able to snag a laser kill that way (if done near the edge, but not so close that they release *down*) at least ONCE per match. And, if they are on the stage, just shoot the laser wherever they would land, or a fully charged gyro.

Just somethin' that struck me, not claiming it to be new or super effective.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
^Yes it does

Fully charged laser from a grab release on Marth will either kill him or put him at such a position that you can easily edgeguard.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
GR Laser works?? i need to look into that

i have a feeling itd be air dodgable....
rob has no other GRs

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It is air dodgeable, but it's still an option. you can also angle your laser up, and if they airdodge you can fully charge gyro.

Not a good option, just an option. Like everything else this bucket o' bolts has.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
laser doesn't have enough kb to kill from the edge
^Yes it does
he was probably talking about uncharged, and you (obviously) were talking about charged. Prolly just a mix-up, caused mostly by my fault. But, even a a baby laser can (help?) set up a possible jump-steal which leads to easy edgeguarding.

It is air dodgeable, but it's still an option. you can also angle your laser up, and if they airdodge you can fully charge gyro.

Not a good option, just an option. Like everything else this bucket o' bolts has.
This. every little bit helps.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Can someone please test if around 100% using the first hit of the Jab, it Sets up for something, like Usmash?

And the same way with Footstool against Wario?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Fox's shine is a good example of this - go into training mode, pick Fox, and shine your opponent at 0%. They don't go very far at all...then set their damage to 999%. And hey, they go the exact same distance!
Fox's Shine kills at 999%...
But ROB's Dthrow knockback really don't change much, that's why Mixing-up Jab1 > Grab is nice, too =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm really good at spacing F-smash actually. The range isn't awesome, but it's very disjointed, so generally you can REALLY screw up some less disjointed assaults by just F-smashing.

I almost never use any throw outside of D-throw UNLESS I'm going for the KO. Seriously, the guaranteed KOs you can get from a throw are too good to pass up on. It's also SO easy to get a grab with ROB due to his huge grab range.

Against predictable recoveries, N-air guarantees death at high percents because it's just that unavoidable.

D-throw -> U-smash is actually good. It's all about conditioning. U-smash can be timed in such a way that it's possible to follow up and punish them if they air dodge it. You're still unlikely to KO with U-smash, but it's not terribly unsafe as long as they are directly above you.

Sudai

Stuff here
As often as I've disagreed with A2, I can agree with his point about FSmash and the fact that DThrow > USmash is viable with proper conditioning but only at certain percents, even then it'll only work once in a set and takes more conditioning that it's worth.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I use Ftilt rather than Fsmash unless it's for a kill or early percents. Maybe that's just me, but that's how I do it. Dthrow > Usmash is good, but it doesn't really kill until higher percents and by that time, the knockback is too high that they have more than enough time to react accordingly.

Sudai

Stuff here
Well, why use FTilt over FSmash when FSmash would garner more damage and is generally safer? Being decayed really isn't a problem with ROB as it's really easy to unstale moves with pummels. On top of pummels, ROB has the benefit of using lasers to unstale as well. I'm not saying you should always FSmash instead of FTilt. Knowing when to use it is very helpful. So long as you stop using moves that you want to KO with around 80% or so, stale moves really isn't an issue for ROB. :/

Top Bottom