• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the age of the Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I will make two posts today.

The question here is:

How old do you consider the Earth to be?

I believe the scientific take on the subject, which is the Earth is around 4.5 billion years old.
While this may be an obvious answer to most, I want to see if anyone can give a solid answer with evidence whilst giving a fresh answer (say, the world being 1 million years old). Happy debating! :)

(Disclaimer: Make sure you have evidence for your claim. I have watched maybe 16 hours of videos in the past 6 months on this subject, so prepared to be eviscerated if your argument is a retread of one that has been already debunked. You've been warned. :chuckle:)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Threads of the form:

"Here's a topic: talk about it!"

...are not debate hall material. Take a side, then support your side. The point of the OP is to begin the debate, and frame it within a particular context. An op like that does neither.

Hooblah2u2

Smash Apprentice
I will start off by saying I am a Creationist. Basically I know that things like carbon dating aren't accurate at all. There are too many assumptions that must be made, and no reason to believe the assumption is even close to correct.

"Muscle tissue from beneath the scalp of a mummified musk ox found in frozen muck at Fairbanks Creek, Alaska, has a radiocarbon age of 24,000, while the radiocarbon age of hair from a hind limb of the carcass is 17,200. A life span exceeding 7,000 years for a specimen of this species is doubtful.
"A mastodon skeleton, found at Ferguson Farm near Tupperville, Ontario, provided a radiocarbon age of 8,900 for the collagen fraction of bones and a radiocarbon age of 6,200 for high organic-content mud from within the skull cavities. It is unlikely that this skeleton could have survived exposure for 2,700 solar years before emplacement in peat."—Robert H. Brown, "Radiocarbon Age Measurements Re-examined," in Review and Herald, October 28, 1971, pp. 7-8.
http://www.pathlights.com/ce_encyclopedia/Encyclopedia/06dat5.htm
http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2019

I'm not exactly sure how old the earth is, but I know it's definitely not millions of years old.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Maybe I should be thanking you, as if I didn't have you, how would I get to the DH proper...

Okay, rebuttal number one: watch this video fully and take notes if needed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvMB57evy4

Also, since this in in the realm of science, you must posts links and/or sources that are related to science and/or have been peer reviewed in a scientific fashion. Guess what? Your two links aren't meeting these standards. ;) And the "evolutionists" name tag on the second link...oh boy. :dizzy:

Just so you know, your two links can be debunked by noting that:
1. Carbon dating does not work when measuring marine mammals and other organisms in the sea. Here is a better method for carbon dating in an oceanic setting..
2. Carbon dating can be thrown off due to contamination of the species at hand. This, however, can be compensated for.
For example, the two land organisms you just mentioned will throw the basic carbon dating method off.
3. Just so you know, carbon dating is best for some, not all the land dwelling organisms. It is best for organisms that absorb their carbon directly from the atmosphere.

And your pulling out of the Kent Hovind card--puhleeeze! :p This is again debunked here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BheiKOogCY&annotation_id=annotation_591953&feature=iv

Want more proof: The source for the claim itself (Kent Hovind) admits that he didn't properly research this contradiction and got it from a second hand source which has been debunked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qskHxguOPPM&annotation_id=annotation_758039&feature=iv#t=07m01s

And just so you don't claim I am just posting links only, I can prove these points independently as well. Just let me know and I will type up a document to prove all valid points.

EDIT: Some more ownage for your claims. You say the Earth isn't more than a million years old or so? You're right, it's around 4.5 billion. Want proof? Try looking at the geologic column, dendrochronology, carbon dating (as shown correctly above), the human genome, paleomagnetism, K-Ar Dating, triangulation, doppler redshift. There are more, but I don't want to type forever.

If you do plan on using a rebuttal, make sure it's a good one. My BS meter is set on high to detect logical fallacies, so whatever you say, make it really good. Also, make it something I haven't heard before :chuckle:.

Cheers. :)

Aesir

Smash Master
Sorry to the mods if this is out of line for me but I really can't just allow this.

What is the purpose of this thread? Were you trying to troll creationists in here so they could make fools out of themselves? This isn't exactly a very long debate, since it's a debate on facts, you can't debate facts they just are.

I don't mean to put the spot on you but it just seems like you're trying to troll young earth creationists into make fools of themselves.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Sorry to the mods if this is out of line for me but I really can't just allow this.

What is the purpose of this thread? Were you trying to troll creationists in here so they could make fools out of themselves? This isn't exactly a very long debate, since it's a debate on facts, you can't debate facts they just are.

I don't mean to put the spot on you but it just seems like you're trying to troll young earth creationists into make fools of themselves.
I'm not trying to trap anyone into doing anything stupid. I don't feel that that is a good way to earn cred amongst the DHers like yourself.

Rather, I was trying to see if anyone had any new takes on the subject that were factually sound and could possibly give us a new take on the subject @ hand. After all, the purpose on the PG is to show you can hold your own in a good debate, no?

If my thread is considered as a bait to "destroy" any arguments (& YECs in the process), then allow me to express my apologies as this was not my intent.

If deemed necessary, the mods can lock this thread.

Thanks. :)

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I agree with Aesir on this issue. There really is no point to this topic because you can't argue facts whereas you can argue opinions. If the mods want to close this than do so but this is just my 2 cents worth. Also on Kazzo's defense, I don't think he was trying to troll earth creationists into making foolish of themselves. All in all the Earth was created and we can't change the date of when it was created, simple as that.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Sorry to get off topic but my youtube account is TCF1ZZ not Fizzi63. Sorry again and I am not trying to promote my youtube account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom